DBWI: Secret Australian nuclear program revealed!

(AP) SYDNEY, Australia

In a shocking revelation early this morning, a group of retired Australian nuclear technicians and physicists revealed the existence of a secret nuclear weapons program. Their claims were confirmed late this afternoon in a short statement by the belaguered Australian Defense Minister, Dr. Brendan Nelson, who had no choice in the face of the overwhelming proof offered by the group.

The train of documents leading back to the 1950s and the British nuclear program shows that every Australian government since PM Bob Menzies was in full co-operation with the plans to construct and mantain the small nuclear arsenal in secrecy. The arsenal, believed to consist of 30-40 low-yield weapons delivered by airstrike, is housed in several secure facilities in the Australian outback, in flagrant violation of a number of nuclear arms limitations treaties that Australia is a signatory to.

Rioting broke out in several Australian cities as anti-nuclear groups exploded in protest. Apart from the Defense Minister, no Government figures have been available to comment, with Cabinet deep in crisis talks and Prime Minister Howard nowhere to be seen. No federal Opposition leaders, nor leaders of close Australian allies such as the US and Britain have made any moves to comment on the situation. As international condemnations flood in, it seems that Australia is a nation on the verge of deep crisis.

I always wondered why Australia never got anything out of our participation in the British nuclear program... this is still shocking beyond belief. It's in flagrant violation of our treaty commitments and is likely to totally destablize our relations with regional powers like Indonesia... I have no idea what is going to happen. What the fuck, indeed.

I always wondered why Australia never got anything out of our participation in the British nuclear program... this is still shocking beyond belief. It's in flagrant violation of our treaty commitments and is likely to totally destablize our relations with regional powers like Indonesia... I have no idea what is going to happen. What the fuck, indeed.
DMA claims this is OTL:rolleyes:

OOC: I did watch a program on SBS that voice-acted and discussed newly publicly available transcipts of secret caucus meetings during the Gorton government, supposedly in the eyes of the Liberals, the threat of communism was so grim, that Prime Minister Gorton wanted to start a program whereby IIRC 10-15 nuclear missiles were to be produced each year. Of course there was political pressure against the move from both the Opposition Labor Party and members within the Liberal party, so the program never got started.

I was curious as to how regional geo-politics would have evolved if the nuclear program did indeed start and was successful in producing an arsenal.

Riain

Banned
A major goal of the Snowy was to provide water for the nuke power reactor we were to get from Britain in the late '50s. I don't think it's a real secret that Austalia has on many occasions throughout the Cold War looked at a nuke option. But nukes are often more trouble than they are worth, especially when you don't face being overrun like Israel or whatever.

Apparently under documents released under the Freedom of Information Act(FOIA), the Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon administrations were all aware of the programs, and had consulted with the Australian government regarding the nuclear weapons program, as early as 1961. Can anyone imagine the situation in Indonesia and/or Vietnam with the threat of Australian and /or American nuclear weapons being used as a tool of leverage....

Honestly - is it really true that the Australians threatened France to test their first bomb before St Tropez if France wouldn't stop its atomic tests in the South Pacific?

A major goal of the Snowy was to provide water for the nuke power reactor we were to get from Britain in the late '50s. I don't think it's a real secret that Austalia has on many occasions throughout the Cold War looked at a nuke option. But nukes are often more trouble than they are worth, especially when you don't face being overrun like Israel or whatever.

Actually the Snowy scheme, in the OTL, was to produce power for U235 enrichment plants in order to produce weapons grade U235.

Cherico

Banned
You know what I trust the Ozzys with the bomb their a responsible
lot, and we can pretty much count on them to not give nukes to
terrorists or anything silly like that, I give this ten years max until this
all blows over.

Riain

Banned
What's this "we can trust" shit? If Australia decides to get the bomb there is bugger-all anyone can do about it. If the International Community can't stop Nth K from nuking up they haven't got a hope in hell of stopping Australia.

Larrikin

Banned
Oz and nukes

What's this "we can trust" shit? If Australia decides to get the bomb there is bugger-all anyone can do about it. If the International Community can't stop Nth K from nuking up they haven't got a hope in hell of stopping Australia.

Australia being the world's only net exporter of both energy and food it makes it reasonably sanction proof. When it comes right down to it, Australia only needs to import heavy crude oil, as it can produce enough sweet light to provide for petrol, diesel, and aircraft fuel needs.

NomadicSky

Banned

I don't see a problem with it. Indonesia is has a much higher population even if they aren't as well equipped.
Australia has a right to self defense at any cost.