DBWI: No Japanese Colonial Power

What if the Empire of Japan did not sucseed in the Conquest of Korea in the late 1590s and did not go engage in colonial expansion into Australia, North America and New Zealand over the next three centuries?

Zor

Straha

Banned
We would not have the extinction fo the white race outsideo f north america as I'm sure the skoptsy cult wouldn't spread in such a world...

Susano

Banned
OOC: *ignores Straha*

IC:
You know, I hate n00bs with their overly bland and broad questions. I mean, what do you suppose should happen instead?

But, well, lets answer as broadly: Eventually, somebody will get Australia. If not Japan, then some european or other East Asian power. But, wether that be Spain, HREGN, France, England, Spain, United Belgium, the Netherlands, Poland or even the Ottomans or Papal Colonial Mission - well that would depend on awfully lot, no?

And, to be blunt - wether it be Europeans or East Asians or the Japanese, the native cultures of Korea, Australia, NZ and all thos eother islands would probably at best survive in fragments, as IOTL, too. So, there wouldnt be much change in that.

Now, as for Japan - it would have lots of trouble with over-population and an agitating warrior class. Also, without those conquests and explorations, prejudices against the merchant caste would probably remain. Though I would like to see a world without the International Guild of the Merchant Caste, heh, for Japan all those changes would be no good. Probably the Civil Wars of the previous centuries would just go on. Of course, such wars tend to spill over, so it is certainly possible hat some of those areas would still come under Japanese rule - however, with the stiff European colonial concurrence at the time, it is unlikely Japan would ever get all that territory in a "second attempt", so to speak.

The Sandman

Banned
We would not have the extinction fo the white race outsideo f north america as I'm sure the skoptsy cult wouldn't spread in such a world...

Straha, don't you realize that's because you Americans are the only ones stupid enough to still think that skin color has anything to do with race?

As any good Japanese citizen knows, the true yamatodamashii has to do with your soul, not your body. Look at the Zulu people, for example. I'd be hard-pressed to name a group more physically different from we nihonjin, yet their reverence for our traditions puts many bloodline Japanese to shame.

Without Japan to fill the power vacuum left by the Spanish in Hitou (IOTL, old Japanese term for the Philippines) after the Samutoijin (OTL Ilocanos) revolts in 1661, then it is possible that the Tungningians would have taken it sooner or later.

Er... what in the name of the okami is 'Australia', 'North America and New Zealand' when it's in the garden? :confused:

I can only assume that this is some trendy name for Nyu Hokkaido.

And only uneducated yabanjin refer to the empire as 'Japan'. That's 'Imperial Nippon' to you, h4kuch1. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh, I see... you really are entering into the spirit of this DBWI. You're a smart one, I'll be watching you... :)

The Sandman

Banned
Er... what in the name of the okami is 'Australia', 'North America and New Zealand' when it's in the garden? :confused:

I can only assume that this is some trendy name for Nyu Hokkaido.

And only uneducated yabanjin refer to the empire as 'Japan'. That's 'Imperial Nippon' to you, h4kuch1. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh, I see... you really are entering into the spirit of this DBWI. You're a smart one, I'll be watching you... :)

You Kempeitai members always say that, but you never have much of a bite to back up your bite. Try joining the Dai-Nippon Teikoku Kaigun if you want to see how we real soldiers do things. :rolleyes:

I never liked Shin-Hokkaido myself; suspiciously too high of a ration of hitsuji to hitsujikai for my tastes. The reefs off the eastern coast of Akashima do provide some exquisite scenery, as do the atatakai umi no musume. :)

Yes, those were some good times on shore leave in Aoirie; after a while, I even started to like that silly-looking concert hall.:cool:

On a pretty stupid pop culture side note, I doubt ninjas would as popular as they are today. It seems every time you go onto the internet there's some debate over Ninjas Vs. Korean Pirates, Ninjas Vs. Hashashin, Ninjas Vs. Oprichnicks. Some western thing like Knights would have replaced Ninjas if the Nipponese weren't so powerful.

You Kempeitai members always say that, but you never have much of a bite to back up your bite. Try joining the Dai-Nippon Teikoku Kaigun if you want to see how we real soldiers do things. :rolleyes:

I never liked Shin-Hokkaido myself; suspiciously too high of a ration of hitsuji to hitsujikai for my tastes. The reefs off the eastern coast of Akashima do provide some exquisite scenery, as do the atatakai umi no musume. :)

Yes, those were some good times on shore leave in Aoirie; after a while, I even started to like that silly-looking concert hall.:cool:

Shore leave? Is that all the Imperial Protectorate of Wiradjuri is to you, shore leave?

We may be a protectorate under the empire, but I'll have you know we are a strong, independent people! Ever since our great leader, Windradyne, brokered the peace between our peoples in 1823, we have been proud to declare our allegience to Imperial Nippon. But Susano's talk of 'fragments' and your treating our nation as a mere province of your empire is EXACTLY what's causing the current troubles.

The Sandman

Banned
Shore leave? Is that all the Imperial Protectorate of Wiradjuri is to you, shore leave?

For a Kaigunjin, pretty much all ports are shore leave.

We may be a protectorate under the empire, but I'll have you know we are a strong, independent people! Ever since our great leader, Windradyne, brokered the peace between our peoples in 1823, we have been proud to declare our allegience to Imperial Nippon. But Susano's talk of 'fragments' and your treating our nation as a mere province of your empire is EXACTLY what's causing the current troubles.

Nothing 'mere' about it. Think of it this way: as a province of the Empire, you're part of the most powerful nation on the planet. And, while not excusing the actions of some of my ancestors, I submit that things would have been much worse had the Europeans continued to visit you; just look at what the Americans did to Cuba, and the Russians to Persia and Turkey, if you want examples.

And weren't the troubles essentially started by our baseball team pummeling your cricket team at their own game? And by the fact that only Akashimajin could have picked cricket as their European import of choice?