ipb-large-300.jpg

IC: Alright people, how would life change in the past 10-15 years, if the Ruby Dixon series Ice Planet Barbarians never became popular outside a Tik Tok niche. One has to ask, especially after Avatar and Twilight franchises, having werewolves, vampires, zombies and now aliens being turned into the subject of romanticized/ over-sexualized objects of desire, how would things have been different?

Consider that science fiction and comic book conventions were considered pretty much "sausage festivals" and rarely had any women in attendance. Now women come to conventions, in as large numbers as men, often in cosplay. How would society change, without the popularity of the Ice Planet Barbarians franchise?

OOC: This is an actual 27-book franchise series, billed as "You’d think being abducted by aliens would be the worst thing that could happen to me. And you’d be wrong. Because now, the aliens are having ship trouble, and they’ve left their cargo of human women – including me – on an ice planet.

And the only native inhabitant I’ve met? He’s big, horned, blue, and really, really has a thing for me…"

See: http://rubydixon.com/wordpress/book/ice-planet-barbarians/

Now women come to conventions, in as large numbers as men, often in cosplay.
And this is a good thing, especially ice planet barbarians one.

I think twilight and lesser degree harry potter were what started this, the latter as snow people would looks in books the next big franchise and the former showed how women goes to cinema in massed, IPB have enough good elements that appeal Twilight fans and general sci Fi one, Even if Trekkies would cry

And this is a good thing, especially ice planet barbarians one.

I think twilight and lesser degree harry potter were what started this, the latter as snow people would looks in books the next big franchise and the former showed how women goes to cinema in massed, IPB have enough good elements that appeal Twilight fans and general sci Fi one, Even if Trekkies would cry
One of the weirder things has been how IPB has attracted it's own set of trolls. One only need to look at the many IPB memes with "Pepe the Frog" stuck over their faces. Apparently anyone who defends IPB is accused of "virtue signaling " and being a "social justice warrior "...

There is talk of a talent search for actors/ actresses to play in a possible IPB franchise for Netflix. Any thoughts or ideas?

I think Alan Moore's "parody" of Ice Planet Barbarians in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was pretty tactless.
You haven't lived until you have heard Grant Morrison and Alan Moore read from the books at Comicon!

Personally, I found it hilarious when Wayne Brady and Kathy Griffin read it on the Jimmy Kimmel show...

That is Moore fellas, he has the tact of a jackhammer.
Yeah, it was worse than his Harry Potter parody, and that involved Harry Potter being the Antichrist.

You haven't lived until you have heard Grant Morrison and Alan Moore read from the books at Comicon!

Personally, I found it hilarious when Wayne Brady and Kathy Griffin read it on the Jimmy Kimmel show...
Eh, the "IPB Sucks!" crowd always struck me as yet another hatedom picking on harmless crap that teenage girls and housewives enjoy.

It's just a book series, it can't hurt you.

Eh, the "IPB Sucks!" crowd always struck me as yet another hatedom picking on harmless crap that teenage girls and housewives enjoy.

It's just a book series, it can't hurt you.
Well, for now, I feel it is a shared experience that we can all make fun of, much like Twitter messages, Tiktok videos, Nicholas Cage films and the second season of Tiger King,...

One has to wonder how the "Ice Giants" of Thor as portrayed by the amazing Tom Hiddleston and Sean Bean would have been changed without the publication of Ice Planet Barbarians. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how would Star Wars and Star Trek franchises have been different without the presence of IPB?
Less Romance, especially in the former and that would be a shame, as Corny the two side love triangle of Rey and Finn respectly were, those were kinda funny because that. Plus Ittl Dark Brutus(so subtle disney) and Finn wouldn't be that bulked out as they were

Less Romance, especially in the former and that would be a shame, as Corny the two side love triangle of Rey and Finn respectly were, those were kinda funny because that. Plus Ittl Dark Brutus(so subtle disney) and Finn wouldn't be that bulked out as they were
Personally, I think Star Trek: Discovery could have done without the abduction of Michael Burnham by the Terellian ice pirates...