DBWI: Anti-Irish terrorists in Scotland set off car bombs

The Irish government seems completely useless and have done nothing. How long can they stay in Scotland, knowing that at least half of the people there are now protestant?

Those in favour of a English-Scottish union of course continue to be critical of what they call "Imperialist practices" in Scotland.

The Irish government seems completely useless and have done nothing. How long can they stay in Scotland, knowing that at least half of the people there are now protestant?

Those in favour of a English-Scottish union of course continue to be critical of what they call "Imperialist practices" in Scotland.

Well, at least Wales is relatively peaceful these days, despite being about 40% Catholic(being largely self-governing probably helps). England is still a bit of a mess, though; the collapse of the British Empire in the 1860s hit them pretty hard(and it still shows, too. I think the Scottish secession of 1797 might have been the starting point.) and they've been having their fair share of ups and downs ever since, with the latest major problems having been Islamist terrorism in the 1980s. Though I might add that becoming an associate member of the German-led Pan-European Union certainly makes things more interesting for the Limeys as the Parliament in Frankfurt has yet to really weigh in on how to deal with the situation.

Oh, and Scotland is now about 75% Protestant, btw: most of the remaining Catholics are Irish, and, sadly, often the victims of brutal attacks and bigotry.

OOC: My character is from Canada, by the way and Limey is more of an affectionate and slightly jokey term here.

Last edited:

Reported for flame bait.

Honestly, the CSLA set off a few Car Bombs and people immediately talk about the issue as if the whole peace process is being undone, yes the coalition isn't very stable, yes I wish I had Irish Labour to vote for rather than the Scottish Unionists, but it's better that than back to the days where my Dad had check under his car in the mornings.

Reported for flame bait.

Honestly, the CSLA set off a few Car Bombs and people immediately talk about the issue as if the whole peace process is being undone, yes the coalition isn't very stable, yes I wish I had Irish Labour to vote for rather than the Scottish Unionists, but it's better that than back to the days where my Dad had check under his car in the mornings.

I agree. Though a Canadian, I myself have been to Scotland, once in 1989 and again in 1997, and never once felt threatened during that time. It probably helped, though, that Canada, New England, and the Federated States of America, and a few others, had a few peace keepers over there from time to time keeping a good eye on things.

. England is still a bit of a mess, though; the collapse of the British Empire in the 1860s hit them pretty hard(and it still shows, too.
What Empire in the 1860's? When Scotland and Ireland rebelled with French help in 1797 and Napoleon stripped our Indian and Australian possessions from us in 1815 and gave Canada (apart from Arcadia and Quebec) to the US. England was left with New Zealand and a few islands and the Dutch took New Zealand from us in 1820 during the Wellesley Terror (Irish ******** that he was!). We, basically became an adjunct to Hanover, in the aftermath of the Congress of Berlin in 1825 when George IV got Hanover back and that fell to pieces 10 years later when William IVs heir was Victoria!

What Empire in the 1860's? When Scotland and Ireland rebelled with French help in 1797 and Napoleon stripped our Indian and Australian possessions from us in 1815 and gave Canada (apart from Arcadia and Quebec) to the US. England was left with New Zealand and a few islands and the Dutch took New Zealand from us in 1820 during the Wellesley Terror (Irish ******** that he was!). We, basically became an adjunct to Hanover, in the aftermath of the Congress of Berlin in 1825 when George IV got Hanover back and that fell to pieces 10 years later when William IVs heir was Victoria!

OOC: Umm.....you might want to read my post; Canada still exists. Other than that, though, most everything else is fine, I think.....though with one exception: I doubt the Dutch would want to *keep* New Zealand, TBH; they'd be far more interested in *Indonesia and even western Australia before New Zealand, which was basically still Maori with only a few British settlers, if anything at all.

IC: Well, there *was* an attempt by a (rogue) Dutch admiral to claim N.Z. for the Netherlands back in 1822 but it was never recognized by most(France did for a while, but they were the only ones) and the claim was dropped by Amsterdam in 1839. Interestingly enough, though, there *are* still some traces of his little colony just outside of Castleton, including a few descendants who still live there today(though most of the original settler families later emigrated to western Australia).

OOC: Umm.....you might want to read my post; Canada still exists. Other than that, though, most everything else is fine, I think.....though with one exception: .
OOPs. Mind you all I said was that Napoleon gave Canada to "US" not that they would manage to keep it!

Unfortunately, Scotland is cursed to be two countries in one.

In Edinburgh, Galloway, and north of the Clyde, you'll find kilts, (but only the original wraparound Great Kilt, the man-skirt-and-blouse is strictly to be sold to tourists) Gaelic, bagpipes, whiskey distilleries, and all those interesting dishes based on pork and sheep tripe and/or smoked fish.

Then there are the points south and exst of the Clyde, which is where the vast majority of people in the country live. There, you'll find trousers, people who roll their "r"s and pronounce "oo" and "ou" the same, and the people just love their oats and put them in every dish.

The North says that they're the real Scotland, and almost everyone south of the Clyde is an Englishman who moved north when Malcolm Canmore invited them in to consolidate his rule, and stayed forever after. The South says that they're the real Scotland, and almost everyone in "The Hills" came over from Ulster, Connaught, and Meath when "Hugh Boy" invaded during the War of the Lions and then Charles II "sold them out" to prevent French annexation of England, and stayed forever after.

Which one is right?

Last edited:
OOPs. Mind you all I said was that Napoleon gave Canada to "US" not that they would manage to keep it!

OOC: Well, alright. My apologies for the misunderstanding. :) I'd suppose it's plausible that the U.S. may find no real use for the area and may end up giving it to an independent Canada by ~1860 or so.

Unfortunately, Scotland is cursed to be two countries in one.

In Edinburgh, Galloway, and north of the Clyde, you'll find kilts, (but only the original wraparound Great Kilt, the man-skirt-and-blouse is strictly to be sold to tourists) Gaelic, bagpipes, whiskey distilleries, and all those interesting dishes based on pork and sheep tripe and/or smoked fish.

Then there are the points south and exst of the Clyde, which is where the vast majority of people in the country live. There, you'll find trousers, people who roll their "r"s and pronounce "oo" and "ou" the same, and the people just love their oats and put them in every dish.

I've had a few fish dishes up in Aberdeen when I was there in '89. There's also a place in Carnoustie that sells some really good Scottish-style fried fish.

The North says that they're the real Scotland, and almost everyone south of the Clyde is an Englishman who moved north when Malcolm Canmore invited them in to consolidate his rule, and stayed forever after. The South says that they're the real Scotland, and almost everyone in "The Hills" came over from Ulster, Connaught, and Meath when "Hugh Boy" invaded during the War of the Lions and then Charles II "sold them out" to prevent French annexation of England, and stayed forever after.

Which one is right?

Who really knows? :p Personally, I just liked the scenery and the culture, same as with Wales. Also, I do believe that New Gretna in Keewatin has a fair number of Scottish expats from all over that place and many of them are a bit divided on the issue, but it rarely ever comes to blows; usually, they just laugh it off and go hang together at the local tavern.

OOC: New Gretna is OTL's Thunder Bay.