Create a new flavour of nationalism

Inspired by someone's thread on Cornish nationalism. I'm basically gonna just illustrate this with an example...

NORTHERN ALBERTA NATIONALISM

Homeland: Alberta from Edmonton northward.

Ethnic identity: None specifically. Civic nationalism, though with a slight tinge of "We're more tolerant of diversity than those cowboys down south".

Ideological position: Centre-left. Red-toryish on most socioeconomic issues. To the right of James Watt on resource extraction vs environmentalists, however.

Nemeses: Southern Alberta and its inhabitants; the federal government on certain environmental regulation issues.

Grievances: Sick of those damn rednecks in the south ripping us off economically; strong anti-Calgary slant in Edmonton, why the hell do all our provincial governments favour Cowtown and slash spending in the capital. Ottawa needs to stop hamstringing the "oil sands" and help sell our oil. Fed up with general bible-thumper image emanating from the south.

(Note: I can't vouch for the rationality of these grievances, especially the economic stuff, though there likely are people who see it that way.)

Goals: Northern Alberta as a separate province within Confederation(possibly called Athabasca?), with Edmonton as its capital. Vague desire for friendlier relations with the rest of Canada.

Internal contradictions: Some "oil sands" workers suspicious of left-leaning agenda of the nationalists, fear being cut off from perceived allies in the Calgary corporatocracy. Rural and small-town fear of Edmonton domination and neglect. First Nations mostly indifferent, though some see benefits in possibly improved federal ties.

Possible leaders: Only names that come to mind are ones who would draw us into current politics. Everyone can think of their own candidates.

Chances of this coming about: I'd say slim to none, because "Athabasca" would lack a foundtional mythos, just for starters. With a perfect storm, though, you might be able to get something with the strength and influence of the 1980s western separatist movement, on a subregional scale.

So, there's mine. Anyone else?

FRANCONIAN NATIONALISM

Homeland: The whole of Franconia (lower, upper and central Franconia)

Ethnic Identity: German

Ideoligical Position: Social democracy, environmentalism, regionalism.

Nemeses: Bavaria generally and the Munich government specifically.

Grievances: "Franconia is a distinct cultural region, and it's future shouldn't be dictated by Munich. It was illegally annexed by Bavaria in two steps. 1.) the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803, and 2.) the collapse of the HRE (and the following annexation of Nuremberg) in 1806".

Goals: The goals of the movement differ. There are the one's that advocate for Franconia to seceed from Bavaria and become Germanies 17. Bundesland, while more moderate factions just want autonomy from Bavaria and more investment into Franconia's infrastructure. A fringe of radicals want to outright seceed from Germany as a whole, but they're not taken seriously by anyone.

Internal Contradictions: As allready mentioned, there are multiple factions inside of the "Party of Franconians"* which are engaged in heavy infighting. These internal conflicts have prevented the party from gaining more than 6% in the Bavarian Landtag and 16% in the Nuremberg Stadtrat (their record votes, both from 2008).

Possible Leaders: The party has so far failed to establish any charismatic figure as their chairman. The highest posts change during allmost every party congress.

Chance of their Goals coming about: Low. Though they do have some support, they're isolated on the pollitical landscape, and continued lobbyism has lead to the rise of many careerists in the party.

[Note: This is based on an actual sentiment in Franconia, that we were annexed by Bavaria and have been a colony ever since. When people say something like that, it's mostly meant as a joke, however Nuremberg is a lot poorer than Munich. There actually is a party that advocates for franconian autonomy, the "Franconia Party". It's pretty weak and unimportant however. In this scenario, the sentiment of "We were annexed and are little more than a colony" is no joke, and people take it seriously.]

For everyone who doesn't know where Franconia is, here is a map of Bavaria (with Franconia painted red)

Franken.svg.png

* I changed it's name to avoid current pollitics.

Last edited:
[Note: This is based on an actual sentiment in Franconia, that we were annexed by Bavaria and have been a colony ever since. When people say something like that, it's mostly meant as a joke, however Nuremberg is a lot poorer than Munich. There actually is a party that advocates for franconian autonomy, the "Franconia Party". It's pretty weak and unimportant however. In this scenario, the sentiment of "We were annexed and are little more than a colony" is no joke, and people take it seriously.]

Yeah, that is exactly what I was looking for, a nationalism that hasn't yet come into real being IOTL, but based on actual, existing resentments.

One question...

I get the impression from your post that Franconians sort of see themselves as being more German than other Bavarians? Would that be a correct reading?

Last edited:
Back to my first post for a sec...

Ethnic identity: None specifically. Civic nationalism, though with a slight tinge of "We're more tolerant of diversity than those cowboys down south.

Northern Alberta nationalism might flaunt some of the trappings of Ukrainian culture, but not in an exclusionary or hegemonic way. Sort of like municipal nationalism in New York City embraces Irish culture moreso than other cultures, but you don't need to be Irish or even Irish-curious to be a proud New Yorker.

So, things like the Vegreville Easter Egg would probably get talked up as quintessentially Athabascan, etc.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was looking for, a nationalism that hasn't yet come into real being IOTL, but based on actual, existing resentments.

Thank you very much :)

One question...

I get the impression from your post that Franconians sort of see themselves as being more German than other Bavarians? Would that be a correct reading?

Well, not really. Neither Franconia nor Bavaria has a popular movement that calls for a seccession from Germany.

That beeing said, there is a tiny fringe in Bavaria "proper" that advocates for exactly that. Such a thing doesn't exist in Franconia (or at least it's an even smaller fringe).

See https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayernpartei

The "Bavaria Party" did get 17.9% and 13.2% in the Bavarian Landtag in 1950 and 1954 respectively, but since the 60s their best result was 2.1% in 2013.

Bavarian indendence was never realistic though, as both the ruling class in Bavaria and in Germany as a whole would shoot itself in the foot with that. Basicly think of Bavaria as a sort of german equivalent of Catalonia, with the difference that no real pollitical force is in favour of independence.

Last edited: