Colloquial Term for U.S. and C.S. citizens in Latin America after a CS Victory?

So in Mexico in particular and the Latin American world more generally, we have a number of terms for Americans OTL. The most common historically (less so in Mexico) is "americano", which has the advantage of being what U.S. citizens call themselves but the disadvantage of literally meaning, in the Spanish-American context, a denizen of the Hemisphere. You have "gringo," which has always been colloquial, highly informal, and at least somewhat derogatory. You have "yanqui," which, as in most of the world, refers to residents of any region of the U.S., but means something very different internally. Finally, there is the more recent "estadounidense," which has become pretty prevalent as the P.C. term; disadvantages are that its quite a mouthful, it has no English equivalent; and Mexico itself, where the naming issue is most prevalent, is a "United States." Finally, there is "norteamericano," which generally revers to Canadians as well.

Ok, so presume a Confederate victory - for this topic's purposes, I don't think the circumstances or final borders matter. What would the colloquial terms for U.S. and C.S. citizens be?

"Americano" is going to be very confusing now; it may continue to refer to U.S. residents, or it may apply to both. Honestly, none of the terms above are easily distinguishable between the North and South in the Latin American context, with two possible exceptions. "Yanqui" might increasingly refer to Northerners only, given the C.S. feeling about the term; but then again, it might not. You might get "sureño" for Southerner, but that has a different connotation in Mexico. And if the term "estadounidense" still rises, you might have "estadoconfederense" as well - but I doubt it. "Confederados" is more obvious, but the drawback is the lack of an obvious Union equivalent.

The more I think about this question, the more a basic one appeals to me. In English, Confederates will call themselves, formally, Confederates, and informally Southerners, possibly Southrons, possibly some demonym of Dixie. Union men and women, though, what will they call themselves, what - Americans, still? IDK about that, the term might evolve to mean citizens of both countries. Yankees? Federals? Neither seems likely. So we probably have to solve this domestic question before addressing the foreign one.

What do you smart people 'round here think?

I'm thinking Confederados and Yanquis (I've never seen it spelled that way but makes sense).

The only way I could see Confederados being confusing is in OTL when it refers to the ones who emigrated to Brazil, which of course in this hypothetical scenario isn't an issue.

Confederado (Confederate, obviously)
Negrero (Slaver)
Nortesureño (Sort of means northern southerner. But I also made it up, so...)
Dixano/Dixeño/Dixeno/Dixense (Dixie)

Last edited:
Both would be colloquially known as gringos, though t term redneck could, at least in Mexico, be used to refer to confederates.

Formally it would be Estadounidense (even if it doesn't have an english equivalent most Latin Americans have an issue with the US appropriating the name America for itself) and Confederado, since it is also likely they'll end up calling themselves Confederates anyways.

Thande

Donor
Is there any grammatically satisfactory way to contract Estadounidense, to something like "Unidense"? I can imagine the word Union still being associated with the people of the rump USA, and there's probably no reason to bring States into it when the CSA has that in its name as well.

Thande

Donor
Formally it would be Estadounidense (even if it doesn't have an english equivalent

Actually around the time of the Constitutional Convention, some people in the early USA did suggest they call themselves "United Statesians" (largely because 'American', as well as being rather geographically imprecise, in the 1770s in English was usually the official word for natives, and the colonials didn't want to be associated with them) but the name sounded rather unwieldy and silly so it never caught on.

Nowadays some people do call them "USAmericans", mostly English-speaking Germans I think, although I have heard others and even some Americans themselves use the term.

Yankee and Southron, makes sense. But, after a while, the CSA would probably call themselves more Confederates then Southron.
I like the term Southron, shame it doesn't pop up in more TLs and the like. Personally I think it might stick, it comes off a bit odd to use the form of government as a demonym, whereas the archaic term for southerner sounds more unique than confederate and was already popular IOTL. Is there a similarly archaic Spanish word for southerner than can be used here? While I imagine Confederates, and in time other English-speakers, would call themselves Southrons, it might also be possible that Latin-Americans might just use Confederados.

I like the term Southron, shame it doesn't pop up in more TLs and the like. Personally I think it might stick, it comes off a bit odd to use the form of government as a demonym, whereas the archaic term for southerner sounds more unique than confederate and was already popular IOTL. Is there a similarly archaic Spanish word for southerner than can be used here?

"Austral" (straight from Latin) or "meridional" (compare to French "Midi," Italian "Mezzogiorno.") Los meridionales y los yanquis? Has a certain ring to it...

Actually around the time of the Constitutional Convention, some people in the early USA did suggest they call themselves "United Statesians" (largely because 'American', as well as being rather geographically imprecise, in the 1770s in English was usually the official word for natives, and the colonials didn't want to be associated with them) but the name sounded rather unwieldy and silly so it never caught on.

Nowadays some people do call them "USAmericans", mostly English-speaking Germans I think, although I have heard others and even some Americans themselves use the term.

From now on, I shall take to referring to Germans as BRDeutsche.

Go with Confederados

wikipedia said:
The Confederados (Portuguese pronunciation: [kõfedeˈɾadus]) are an ethnic sub-group in Brazil descended from some 10,000 Confederate Americans who immigrated chiefly to the area of the city of São Paulo, Brazil after the American Civil War. Although many returned to the United States, some remained and descendants of Confederados can be found in many different cities throughout Brazil.

US-Americans is a common term among germans. Though it is less often used in its english variant.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Informally: yanquis and confederados, and "gringo" would apply to both.

Formally: estadounidense and estadoconfederado.

Personally, I prefer the "Dixense/Dixeno/etc." example. After all, Yankee as a demonym isn't that much more dignified or geographically significant (Jan Kees, anyone?). Besides, you don't really see that word being adopted as a Southron identity that much in ATLs.