Status
Not open for further replies.
A Time of Atrocity: An Accounting of Crimes Committed in the Great American War
"...some milder version. While Washington was still held sacrosanct north of the Ohio, other Southerners were less lucky in a remarkable campaign of iconoclasm spurred on by public and political figures looking to burnish their credentials against anything that remotely smacked of slave power. It was not just the usual suspects, either - Theodore Roosevelt, a Democratic mover-and-shaker who controlled a powerful network of newspapers through his Journal empire, in many cases led the charge, demanding that streets, buildings, schools, even entire towns be renamed. This came to be known as the "anti-Dixie crusade," a fierce groundswell of advocacy against the legacy of the United States' founding by the Virginian aristocracy as much as it was by the Sons of Liberty in Boston.

The movement hit its crescendo in the winter and spring of 1915, when thousands of placenames were changed - ironically, of particular ire was Andrew Jackson, whose worldview many educated Liberals held in particular contempt but who had firmly put his foot down regarding federal authority when his Vice President, the South Carolinian John Calhoun, had toyed with nullification and secession. Jackson's surprise emergence as the villain du jour of American public politics can in part be traced to his authoritarian streak, aggressive campaigns against both the Bank of the United States and Supreme Court, and his appointment of Roger B. Taney, [1] responsible for the Dred Scott decision, to the highest bench in the land. Indeed, the sense that Jackson and Taney were the root cause of the current war through their worldview led to an incident in Annapolis where the statue of Taney before the State House was dynamited, killing three bystanders including the bomber himself.

Most such events were not violent, however, but rather more esoteric and academic. Other than more obvious choices, how was one to determine how related to the slave power cause and Confederate chauvinism an early-republic figure really was? Henry Clay's strong efforts to solve the sectional struggle before his death largely protected him of iconoclastic ire; Calhoun's status as the intellectual godfather of secessionism did not. Jefferson's legacy and belief that slavery would die out of its own devices surely had to outweigh his position at the pinnacle of Virginia aristocracy? What of Madison, Wisconsin or Monroe, Michigan, well-established cities named after his Virginian successors who they themselves kept chattel? Once more prominent Founding Fathers came into the fray, the campaign quieted dramatically, in part because Roosevelt did not want to be the man who inadvertently called the authorship of the Constitution itself into question, but the work to reckon with and reconcile the legacy of American slavery before the War of Secession was still nowhere close to being done..."

- A Time of Atrocity: An Accounting of Crimes Committed in the Great American War

[1] Interestingly enough, I recently learned that Taney was fairly opposed to slavery personally, he just decided to set fire to his historical and contemporary reputation to preserve it anyways

Last edited:
This came to be known as the "anti-Dixie crusade," a fierce groundswell of advocacy against the legacy of the United States' founding by the Virginian aristocracy as much as it was by the Sons of Liberty in Boston.

BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god, this is too good; if Jackson is being demonized I wonder if we'll see an earlier reappraisal of John Quincy Adams as a historical figure (which has been underway in the past 15 years or so as Jackson's star has plummeted). Personally, I hope so, as JQA is one of my personal heroes. Also glad that this iconoclasm isn't going TOO far (and you best not change the name of Madison, Wisconsin! Mad-town is sacred after all; and really, there's no good alternatives. Can't change the city name to LaFollette after all - he's still alive and that would be ... a bit much, even for me :D )

[1] Interestingly enough, I recently learned that Taney was fairly opposed to slavery personally, he just decided to set fire to his historical and contemporary reputation to preserve it anyways
So Roger Taney was classic Stupid Evil. Nice to see tropes make it to real life every once in a while.

Oh most certainly. At the very least, it won't want to ignore what Mexico City has to say.

Por que no los dos

Hmm Sequoyah it is then, I'd think
I'd say that Texas will try to strike a balance between Mexico City and Philadelphia without getting too close to *either*. Having said that, it is *not* unreasonable that at some point over the next century that Texas will be more powerful than the rump CSA. Yes, the US will have the IT oil and Mexico will *eventually* find its oil (yes Mexico has larger reserves than Texas, but somewhat more difficult to discover) but iOTL, there was a stretch (1940s-1950s) when Texas was one of the world leaders in Oil. As long as they can keep control of that (Ironically, *Texas* may seek national control of its oil), I think they'll do pretty well.

I think Texas *would* be willing to join a Trading Block *only* if both the US and Mexico were in it. (Presumably any larger economic treaty that involves the US and Mexico would also include the IT, Texas, Centro, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Haiti and the CSA would be *possible*, and whether Cuba/DR/PR and Canada/Jamaica/Belize would be part depends on the economic/political relationship with their European "partner").

Note, I don't know if any of Mexico, the USA, Brazil or Argentina will be willing to tick off the Germans and support actions to take away their Venezuelan puppet with its oil, that's going to be interesting.

It will be interesting to see whether Cuba ends up in a better Economic place in the 1940s than OTL. I could see it going either way.

Also, I presume Britain still has Belize (even if perhaps with slightly different borders). Britain losing Belize is a sign of a *true* Britain screw and while Britain is having some issues iTTL, they aren't anywhere close to *that* bad off.

Well, if they take (I was going to say "get", but that won't apply here) Key West, they'll also take the Dry Tortugas. Not sure how much of the Keys they'll take. However, iTTL, I can't see the Overseas Railroad (or a similar connection) between the Mainland and Key West until (and if) you have such a *complete* reordering of the alliances of the world that the USA and CSA are in the same bloc and Mexico and/or Spain (or *maybe* the UK) is in the other bloc (With what the author has said, I *think* that is at least 50 years from the current point in the story if at all.)

"...some milder version. While Washington was still held sacrosanct north of the Ohio, other Southerners were less lucky in a remarkable campaign of iconoclasm spurred on by public and political figures looking to burnish their credentials against anything that remotely smacked of slave power. It was not just the usual suspects, either - Theodore Roosevelt, a Democratic mover-and-shaker who controlled a powerful network of newspapers through his Journal empire, in many cases led the charge, demanding that streets, buildings, schools, even entire towns be renamed. This came to be known as the "anti-Dixie crusade," a fierce groundswell of advocacy against the legacy of the United States' founding by the Virginian aristocracy as much as it was by the Sons of Liberty in Boston.

The movement hit its crescendo in the winter and spring of 1915, when thousands of placenames were changed - ironically, of particular ire was Andrew Jackson, whose worldview many educated Liberals held in particular contempt but who had firmly put his foot down regarding federal authority when his Vice President, the South Carolinian John Calhoun, had toyed with nullification and secession. Jackson's surprise emergence as the villain du jour of American public politics can in part be traced to his authoritarian streak, aggressive campaigns against both the Bank of the United States and Supreme Court, and his appointment of Roger B. Taney, [1] responsible for the Dred Scott decision, to the highest bench in the land. Indeed, the sense that Jackson and Taney were the root cause of the current war through their worldview led to an incident in Baltimore where the statue of Taney before its courthouse was dynamited, killing three bystanders including the bomber himself.

Most such events were not violent, however, but rather more esoteric and academic. Other than more obvious choices, how was one to determine how related to the slave power cause and Confederate chauvinism an early-republic figure really was? Henry Clay's strong efforts to solve the sectional struggle before his death largely protected him of iconoclastic ire; Calhoun's status as the intellectual godfather of secessionism did not. Jefferson's legacy and belief that slavery would die out of its own devices surely had to outweigh his position at the pinnacle of Virginia aristocracy? What of Madison, Wisconsin or Monroe, Michigan, well-established cities named after his Virginian successors who they themselves kept chattel? Once more prominent Founding Fathers came into the fray, the campaign quieted dramatically, in part because Roosevelt did not want to be the man who inadvertently called the authorship of the Constitution itself into question, but the work to reckon with and reconcile the legacy of American slavery before the War of Secession was still nowhere close to being done..."

- A Time of Atrocity: An Accounting of Crimes Committed in the Great American War

Wierdly enough the *most* unrealistic part of this is *not* that a statue of Taney would be detonated at this point but rather that the statue in Baltimore survived all of the active combat *and* resisistance fighting in Baltimore. If there was a statue of a Prussian even if someone who was a minister in the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth in Warsaw pre WWII, the chance that it would survive long enough for it to be detonated after the Soviets had retaken the city would be small.

May I suggest instead that something happen to the statue in the State House in Annapolis (which is actually older).

BWAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god, this is too good; if Jackson is being demonized I wonder if we'll see an earlier reappraisal of John Quincy Adams as a historical figure (which has been underway in the past 15 years or so as Jackson's star has plummeted). Personally, I hope so, as JQA is one of my personal heroes. Also glad that this iconoclasm isn't going TOO far (and you best not change the name of Madison, Wisconsin! Mad-town is sacred after all; and really, there's no good alternatives. Can't change the city name to LaFollette after all - he's still alive and that would be ... a bit much, even for me :D )
With his legacy in the Amistad case, I’m sure he’s due for a reappraisal as early as the centennial of his Presidency (same with Adams Sr.); the cult of Jefferson et al even if they aren’t quite unpersoned would certainly be weaker, too.
So Roger Taney was classic Stupid Evil. Nice to see tropes make it to real life every once in a while.
Basically, yeah
I'd say that Texas will try to strike a balance between Mexico City and Philadelphia without getting too close to *either*. Having said that, it is *not* unreasonable that at some point over the next century that Texas will be more powerful than the rump CSA. Yes, the US will have the IT oil and Mexico will *eventually* find its oil (yes Mexico has larger reserves than Texas, but somewhat more difficult to discover) but iOTL, there was a stretch (1940s-1950s) when Texas was one of the world leaders in Oil. As long as they can keep control of that (Ironically, *Texas* may seek national control of its oil), I think they'll do pretty well.

I think Texas *would* be willing to join a Trading Block *only* if both the US and Mexico were in it. (Presumably any larger economic treaty that involves the US and Mexico would also include the IT, Texas, Centro, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Haiti and the CSA would be *possible*, and whether Cuba/DR/PR and Canada/Jamaica/Belize would be part depends on the economic/political relationship with their European "partner").

Note, I don't know if any of Mexico, the USA, Brazil or Argentina will be willing to tick off the Germans and support actions to take away their Venezuelan puppet with its oil, that's going to be interesting.

It will be interesting to see whether Cuba ends up in a better Economic place in the 1940s than OTL. I could see it going either way.

Also, I presume Britain still has Belize (even if perhaps with slightly different borders). Britain losing Belize is a sign of a *true* Britain screw and while Britain is having some issues iTTL, they aren't anywhere close to *that* bad off.

Well, if they take (I was going to say "get", but that won't apply here) Key West, they'll also take the Dry Tortugas. Not sure how much of the Keys they'll take. However, iTTL, I can't see the Overseas Railroad (or a similar connection) between the Mainland and Key West until (and if) you have such a *complete* reordering of the alliances of the world that the USA and CSA are in the same bloc and Mexico and/or Spain (or *maybe* the UK) is in the other bloc (With what the author has said, I *think* that is at least 50 years from the current point in the story if at all.)
An idea I toyed with was paralleling the development of the OAS with that of the EU, ending in some kind of FTAA/Schengen facsimile. I scrapped going quite that far but the Libs have had something of a boner for free trade since Hay persuaded Blaine of its merits, particularly in the Western Hemisphere, and using free trade to dominate the Americas economically only to have it backfire eventually would be in line with my overall oeuvre
Wierdly enough the *most* unrealistic part of this is *not* that a statue of Taney would be detonated at this point but rather that the statue in Baltimore survived all of the active combat *and* resisistance fighting in Baltimore. If there was a statue of a Prussian even if someone who was a minister in the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth in Warsaw pre WWII, the chance that it would survive long enough for it to be detonated after the Soviets had retaken the city would be small.

May I suggest instead that something happen to the statue in the State House in Annapolis (which is actually older).
Sure, that probably makes more sense. Retconned

With his legacy in the Amistad case, I’m sure he’s due for a reappraisal as early as the centennial of his Presidency (same with Adams Sr.); the cult of Jefferson et al even if they aren’t quite unpersoned would certainly be weaker, too.

Basically, yeah

An idea I toyed with was paralleling the development of the OAS with that of the EU, ending in some kind of FTAA/Schengen facsimile. I scrapped going quite that far but the Libs have had something of a boner for free trade since Hay persuaded Blaine of its merits, particularly in the Western Hemisphere, and using free trade to dominate the Americas economically only to have it backfire eventually would be in line with my overall oeuvre

Sure, that probably makes more sense. Retconned
In regards to the Schengen Zone, that none of your countries are evil/competent enough (except maybe Belgium) to drive a road/railroad through the Darien Gap. And things are going to have to change *considerably* to get such borders as Brazil/Argentina crossable.

In regards to the Schengen Zone, that none of your countries are evil/competent enough (except maybe Belgium) to drive a road/railroad through the Darien Gap. And things are going to have to change *considerably* to get such borders as Brazil/Argentina crossable.
Yeah there’s a reason I scrapped it haha
I’m happy to see Andrew Jackson and Taney get demonized earlier; I absolutely despise them.
Same!

[2] The OLT Lexington battlecruisers were instead cancelled or converted to aircraft carriers under the auspices of the Washington Naval Treaty (negotiated by Charles Evans Hughes, incidentally). I bring this up because there is zero way the US is subjecting itself to a WNT or equivalent after the GAW experience, which other naval powers will... notice.

Especially since Brazil will not be a defeated foe, with the leadership of Brazil probably still thinking getting into the war in the first place was not a bad idea. From their thinking, a better Naval Result and the other members of BS doing their part and they would have gotten what they wanted.

However, essentially the US would be able to effortlessly keep its advantage if the significant shipbuilding powers (I'm thinking UK/DE/JP/IT (and FR at the moment) would be unwilling to sell to them.

Out of curiosity how would the various navies of the world currently be ranked in terms of overall effectiveness?
Hard to answer since Europe's navies haven't really been tested yet. The Spanish-Japanese War showed what Japan can do, even if it wasn't nearly as dominant as OTL's RJW, and the GAW is currently showing off what an America firing on all cylinders is capable of.

Loosely, I'd say:

1. UK Royal Navy (Obviously)
2. France's Marine Imperiale
3. USN
4. Germany's Kaiserliche Marine
5. Tie between Italy/Austria
6. Japan
7. Russia (lots of ships but nobody knows what exactly they can do)
8. CSA
9. Spain
10. Brazil
11. Argentina
12. Netherlands
13. Mexico
Bottom of Ocean: Chile

Pitchforks, Peasants and Palmetto Politics: The Rise and Fall of Benjamin Tillman
"...rumors. The President had no intention of firing Hoke Smith, as it turned out; Tillman had been reassured of that by both Gary and Navy Secretary Daniels, Hoke Smith's closest ally in the Cabinet. Nonetheless, the whisper campaign had destabilized the Cabinet, and Tillman quietly suggested to Heflin at the Camelot Club over cigars and brandy that Hoke Smith himself was the source of the rumor, trying to reassert his influence at Heritage House lest a second Thanksgiving Massacre follow.

Who exactly Heflin relayed this to is unclear; the Speaker was not necessarily an enemy of Tillman or the administration. The idea that Hoke Smith was using his newspaper empire and constellation of friends around Richmond to stir rumors that he was about to be sacked a la Pittman and the bulk of ASO suddenly turned the rumors of discord within the Cabinet caused by the President desiring to fire more people to a sense that a revolt was being plotted from the Cabinet itself, possibly with the aim of forcing Smith's resignation or potential impeachment - in which case Tillman would become President next. The Bourbons had been waiting for exactly this type of breach within the Democrats essentially since 1907, when Tillman had forced them to flee the party they once controlled - their chance for vengeance had never been more opportune.

The events of January 25th-28th, 1915, remain a subject of considerable debate amongst Confederate historians, but it is generally agreed that Murphy Foster of Louisiana, long a rigid opponent of Tillman, was the first to use the knife. On the first day that Congress reconvened after having recessed for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Foster made a motion to elect a new President pro tempore of the Senate, which in and of itself was not an unusual event - this was a customary function of every new session of Congress. What was unusual was that three Democrats - Vardaman, Blease and Thomas Hardwick of Georgia - abstained on the vote, meaning that the motion by Foster passed. As a result, Tillman's position as pro tem was now under direct threat. Tillman had viewed this motion as being so perfunctory that he was still at the Camelot when he was informed by his slave Boniface that it had passed.

What Tillman had not realized was that the chaos within the Cabinet had now come to be seen by a great many as chaos within the Democratic Party in general, and the view of a great many Democrats both to his left (Vardaman, Blease) and to his right (Hardwick, Heflin, a whole score of others) was that Tillman was acting as a shield for President Smith's ineptitude and the chief obstacle to the Congress holding the administration accountable. Political frustration with Tillman and personal rivalries with figures both in Richmond and back home (particularly those surrounding Blease) had finally caught up to him - for the first time since arriving in Richmond in 1896, Tillman had encountered a situation that he could not simply threaten or cajole his way out of. Of course, as has been described in previous chapters, Tillman's influence with Smith had all but collapsed by January 1915 anyways. Whether the Brutuses and Cassiuses of Richmond recognized that was largely irrelevant; the chance to oust the central figure of turn-of-the-century Confederate politics had arrived, and they were not about to let that slide. Having survived defeats in bids for the Presidency at national conventions, a hostile intraparty rival in President Thomas G. Jones, the attempted leadership coup and subsequent party split of 1907 and two severe strokes, Tillman was finally brought down by long-simmering ambition and a self-radicalizing Congress fed by innuendo and hearsay - or, to hear others tell it, his own ambition and lack of foresight in properly managing his party operation to give space to ambitious rivals like Vardaman to be satisfied internally.

The abstention of the three Democrats meant that Tillman either needed to persuade them or others (such as the always-mercurial Texan Senators) to support him in the vote, or he would be defeated. It rapidly became clear that Vardaman in particular had knifed him with purpose. Vardaman gave one of his most fiery polemics the next morning in the Senate well, denouncing "the defeatism of the administration" and "an attitude allergic to victory against the mongrel hordes," "paralyzed by the pleasures of power and the soft luxurious of incumbency." Vardaman's "Red Scarves," his most rabid supporters, had been brought in by train to march in front of the Congress, and he went out to repeat his speech shortly thereafter to his personal paramilitary, this time wearing his familiar hat. The Pitchforkers of old had been replaced by a newer, angrier populist force, that much was certain, and more than a few members of Congress were afraid to leave the building the next few days.

Vardaman, as it would turn out in the end, had more or less been fooled into toppling Tillman, but he was not stupid enough to believe he would be the pro tem. Rather, he had secretly come to an arrangement with Foster and Martin to support the latter as "temporary" pro tem through the ensuing election due for November 1915 as part of what came to be known as the "National Alliance for Victory," or simply Alliance. The name was straightforward enough and said much about what its proponents believed - they supported winning the war and would do so, while their opponents had put the Confederacy in position to lose it and perhaps were at best indifferent to such an outcome, at worst inclined towards it. The previous Democrat-Consensus split had thus collapsed in a matter of days and realigned around a new political axis of the Alliance versus the enemies within. It was lost on nobody that "the rabid dog" of James Vardaman was the mouthpiece and face of such ideologues and was very successfully turning thousands of Confederates, especially wounded veterans back from the front, towards this idea that they were losing the war because their own government was failing to properly support them.

Under the careful watch of a hundred Red Scarves in the Senate gallery, the Senate voted Thomas S. Martin of Virginia as the new President pro tempore of the body on January 28th, 1915, ending Tillman's ten years in the role and, with it, Tillman's position at the beating heart of Confederate power, patronage, and personalism. The Democratic Party had been largely organized around his personage, influence and agenda; with his sudden, shocking defenestration, it would collapse within months as dozens of new cliques of Red Scarves spread across the Confederacy, often as members of the Home Guard and dozens of lawmakers - including Speaker Heflin - fled into the warm embrace of the National Alliance for Victory. The Consensus of old had reorganized itself and reasserted itself as a sprawling, ideologically vague big tent in remarkable speed, but a political vehicle that had both the reactionary patrician Martin and populist firebrand Vardaman at the top was not one that could survive under its own contradictions for long, either. [1]

With the threat of violence towards lawmakers who did not acquiesce strong in the air, the Cabinet also reorganized itself in favor of the new political status in Richmond after the bloodless putsch. Ed Smith would not be impeached, nor would he resign, but he was very distinctly no longer in charge; Hoke Smith, rather, was now the central figure of the Cabinet, with Daniels and McReynolds recognizing reality and reforming their loose troika with the Secretary of State to align with the strange Martin-Vardaman binary in the Senate. The real leader of the Tillmanites was now a backbencher and the accidental President who had ignored him for over a year now a powerless figurehead who was routinely ignored, raising all sorts of constitutional questions about the chain of command in Richmond and who, exactly, was in charge of the Army and Navy - if anyone..."

- Pitchforks, Peasants and Palmetto Politics: The Rise and Fall of Benjamin Tillman [2]

[1] Suffice to say Martin is the big winner here, and was able to use Vardaman's ambitions against him.
[2] And with that we more or less say goodbye to Pitchfork Ben - wikibox to come. An unrepentant asshole IRL and ITTL, but hopefully my take on him, while not absolving the man of his very real personal and political flaws, was at least interesting in its role in leading the CSA to war and the development of the interwar CSA in general

. It was lost on nobody that "the rabid dog" of James Vardaman was the mouthpiece and face of such ideologues and was very successfully turning thousands of Confederates, especially wounded veterans back from the front, towards this idea that they were losing the war because their own government was failing to properly support them.
What's Southron for "stabbed in the back"?

And I suspect that as much of a mess that was, we ain't seen nothing yet, things are about to go from bad to worse, and we've got quite a while before we hit rock bottom.

I sense that we're going to see a series of political parties rise and fall in the Confederacy, unlike the more stable party structure of the Union both in OTL as well as the ATL. And I've been enjoying the wild ride of Tillerman's career - you did a good job of depicting him, making him both sympathetic as well as absolutely represehensible in equal measures, which is the mark of a good writer. Great job!

Also, hard to believe that Smith has been president for such a brief period at this point. It would be interesting to see a bit from his point of view sometime; because there's something fascinating about being a mediocre man stumble into the situation it would take a giant to deal with, and lacking the self awareness to realize the situation he's in until its too late (and I think that seems a fair description of the ertwhile POTCS)

Status
Not open for further replies.