Challenge: Thirty Years War wipes out Protestantism

With a POD after, let's say, the Defenestration of Prague, have the Thirty Years War result in the end of European Protestantism and a renewed Catholic dominance. You may shorten or lengthen the Thirty Years War. The Catholic dominance period must last at least fifty years.

Thande

Donor
A French government less enamoured of realpolitick would be a start.

England, Scotland - Royalist victory in Civil War and then something like Tony Jones' Puritan World, only without the Puritans (if you see what I mean) eventually resulting in the Stuarts reunifying the Anglican communion with the Catholics.

Of course this would only wipe out Protestantism 'on paper' - even if all the nobles professing it go to Catholicism, some of their people will remain secret Protestants.

With a POD after, let's say, the Defenestration of Prague, have the Thirty Years War result in the end of European Protestantism and a renewed Catholic dominance. You may shorten or lengthen the Thirty Years War. The Catholic dominance period must last at least fifty years.

Imajin

I think the big problem was that while religion had a big role at the start of the conflict politics was much more important, especially by the end. As such Catholic France initially subsided the Protestant powers then, when they looked likely to collapse intervened militarily themselves. They feared Hapsburg dominance too much. Think at one point event the Papacy was taking steps to weaken the Hapsburgs rather than have them become too powerful.

Therefore you probably need at a minimum to have something stop France intervening. Possibly after the murder of Henry VI in 1610 [if I recall correctly] tension leads to new religious fighting in France. This not only takes France out of the equation but later on, a possible Hugonaught victory in France gives an excuse for Hapsburg intervention. To take out the Protestant states possibly simply a more capable Hapsburg leadership or possibly a hard line dogmatic gets elected to the Papacy and is willing to support the Hapsburgs all the way.

This would probably leave the Protestants limited to the Netherlands, Britain and Scandinavia with possibly isolated pockets in eastern Europe, who might be relying on Ottoman protection. Would that be enough to qualify for the domination you want. Otherwise might be able to have the Dutch overwhelmed or the Catholic powers support Charles I in the civil wars, adding Britain to the territory under Catholic control.

Steve

How do they take out Scandinavia? Esp. Sweden would be hard to overwhelm, with their new army and all...

And why should France sit happily around while Wallenstein and the Liga are crushing Protestantism in Germany, with the emperor becoming mightier and mightier?

Of course this would only wipe out Protestantism 'on paper' - even if all the nobles professing it go to Catholicism, some of their people will remain secret Protestants.
That's basically what I mean- political dominance...

If Scandinavia is too hard, you can have it at the level of early Bourbon France during the Edict of Nantes.