Battle of Gaugamela WI

Alexander's impulses get the better of him, and he pursues the fleeing Darius instead of returning to rescue Parmenion.

This results in Parmenion's flank being overwhelmed and most of Alexander's army killed or captured.

Alexander meanwhile captures Darius, and the Persian King dies, either fighting, committing suicide, or executed - doesn't really matter.

What now though? Alexander only has his companion cavalry, though the Persians are leaderless...

What now though? Alexander only has his companion cavalry, though the Persians are leaderless...
That's what they realize the next morning, I guess.
What now?
The Persians have time to get rest and get organized, as they're not far from the field of battle.
The Persians have slaughtered enormous number of the enemies, looted the Macedonians' camp, and probably saved their own camp. So their morale is very high.

The companion cavalry has Alexander (who just proved to be a bad general, and doesn't seem to be a great asset no more) and the head of Darius.

We know too little about the Persian generals and their chances to become the next king of the kings to replace Darius. And some of those who we know might get dead as the Macedonians would have give some hell of a fight.

1) But my guess is that the most probable scenario is the Persians immediately proclaim the new shahanshah - one of the most prominent nobles on site and they start pushing the Macedonians out of Asia:
30% of the Persian army moving to Egypt and 70% of the Persian army moving to Anatolia.
Alexander (he is already no longer "the Great") is more concerned about keeping his throne, so he moves his cavalry to Macedon to head the army, left there.
Asia which has been conquered by the Macedonians, now in a rush to switch sides, all the local dynasts, all the towns join the race who is the first to bow to the Persians.
The Greeks who were left as garrisons in Asia surrender to the Persians, previously trying to massacre the Macedonians if they are fewer; or the Greeks leave for Greece which most probably rebelled.
The Macedonians are fleeing from Asia for their life.

2) The less probable scenario is the Persians have some troubles to get the new king of the kings recognized by everybody. There's a civil war among the Persian pretenders.
In this case Alexander has chance to keep some part of his Asian empire; Anatolia most probably.

We know too little about the Persian generals and their chances to become the next king of the kings to replace Darius. And some of those who we know might get dead as the Macedonians would have give some hell of a fight.

1) But my guess is that the most probable scenario is the Persians immediately proclaim the new shahanshah - one of the most prominent nobles on site and they start pushing the Macedonians out of Asia:
Bessus, probably. The Satrap of Bactria tended to be the next in line to the throne so Bessus may have had some relation to Darius, in addition to apparently having the loyalty of many other satraps IOTL and the traditional seat of the heir to the empire.

Bessus, probably. The Satrap of Bactria tended to be the next in line to the throne so Bessus may have had some relation to Darius, in addition to apparently having the loyalty of many other satraps IOTL and the traditional seat of the heir to the empire.
A (protracted?) fight between Bessus and Mazaeus shouldn't be ruled out though, IMHO.

Skallagrim

Banned
I vote for a bit of a succession struggle, but the Persians still manage to severely threaten Alexander, who has to fight his way back home across now-hostile lands.

For no reason other than the fact that it allows Alexander to pull a Xenophon (which he would probably enjoy, even).

For no reason other than the fact that it allows Alexander to pull a Xenophon (which he would probably enjoy, even).

Speaking of what Alexander would probably enjoy...

As a matter of fact we don't know how Alexander would react to losing a battle where he was personally in charge.
We know that in OTL he acted suicidally when he didn't have the success he counted for - that was in India when he jumped alone from the wall into the town full of enemies.
My point here that there's a scenario when Alexander would lead his faithful companions to a suicidal charge, attacking the Persians immediately, the next day after the disastrous annihilation of the infantry - waving the head of Darius, stuck on the head of a spear.
That's what he would enjoy - glorious death, pretty much in his character, "fame or death" I mean.
Actually not the least probable variant.

Then there goes one more scenario:
After hearing of the lost battle and Alexander fleeing to Macedon, Antipater rebels and proclaims himself the king of Macedon.
From the first glance that seems as the most outrageously improbable thing, but in OTL Antipater was loyal to Alexander, who had the most efficient army in the world, to Alexander who never lost a battle and to Alexander who was adored for that by the Macedonians.
But here we have Alexander with a few thousand cavalry only, Alexander the Failure, a loser, without finances; there's mourning weeping in every house of Macedonia, because every family cries over some relative killed in battle of Gaugamela because of mad Alexander.
I am not too sure Antipater would stay loyal to that Alexander.
And some Macedonians would support Antipater, because with Alexander back, the second invasion to Asia is inevitable, which doesn't look that attractive now. And supporting Antipater against Alexander, the Macedonians vote for more mature foreign policy.

Alexander could make a retreat while the Persian claimants duke it out. He takes Antipater's army, leaving enough back in Europe to hold down the Greeks and Thracians, and takes advantage of the chaos. This could make his conquest a little easier actually as whichever Persian army wins the civil-war will be weakened and vulnerable

Alexander could make a retreat while the Persian claimants duke it out. He takes Antipater's army, leaving enough back in Europe to hold down the Greeks and Thracians, and takes advantage of the chaos. This could make his conquest a little easier actually as whichever Persian army wins the civil-war will be weakened and vulnerable
Haven't seen you in ages :)

ye, it's been awhile.
welcome back!

But here we have Alexander with a few thousand cavalry only, Alexander the Failure, a loser, without finances; there's mourning weeping in every house of Macedonia, because every family cries over some relative killed in battle of Gaugamela because of mad Alexander.
Come on, don't you think you're exaggerating some? Sure, Alexander lost Gaugamela per the OP, and lost it badly, but that doesn't mean he's a "loser" or a "failure," and I doubt he would be seen that way. He might have lost Gaugamela, but he won Grancius, he won Issus, he conquered the whole of Asia Minor and the Levantine coast; if he hasn't been the undiminished success of OTL, he's far from being some classical Santa Anna or Saddam Hussein who imagines himself some great military leader while in reality being a boob. Given the high probability of Persia being discombobulated by Darius being killed--if nothing else, working out the succession and reorganizing the army is going to take a while--Alexander has plenty of opportunity to fight back to the coast and get back to Macedon for another army and another round.

I mean, just look at Napoleon. He didn't win all the time, either. Yet even after the disaster of 1812, he didn't have any trouble keeping control of France and raising another army to go against the Allies with--I mean, in terms of being able to find men and put together an army; he had trouble finding horses, for example, and with training, but putting men in boots was not a problem. It wasn't until he was beaten again and France was invaded and Paris was captured that he was forced to capitulate, and even then he was able to come back for round three a year later! I think it's a bit much to assume Alexander will have so much harder a time. Napoleon was a pretty charismatic guy, but so was Alexander...

Given the high probability of Persia being discombobulated by Darius being killed--if nothing else, working out the succession and reorganizing the army is going to take a while
In OTL the Persians managed to produce their new king of the kings in their worst moment. I guess they would do it even easier in their best moment in ATL.

All the Persian best generals and all the Persian best troops are here at Gaugamela - now these troops are the best in the world, that they proved by annihilating the Macedonian army. Whomever they choose - that guy will be the king of the kings.
These troops would crush any resistance and opposition in the Empire (which I don't expect).
If there are two pretenders in this army... well, they don't have to look for each other long, they are in the same place - a quick battle and the winner takes it all.

Napoleon. ...Yet even after the disaster of 1812, he didn't have any trouble keeping control of France and raising another army to go against the Allies with--I mean, in terms of being able to find men and put together an army; ... but putting men in boots was not a problem.
France was one of the most populous countries in Europe.
Macedon is small on the map, but reality is even worse - most of its' territory is mountains with very low population density.
Actually nearly all able males have already been recruited. Macedonians are a tiny people actually, they cannot afford to lose major battles; and at Gaugamela they didn't just lose - they got their army annihilated.
In OTL Alexander always won and his losses were very few, but he had serious problems to replenish his army; that's why he so heavily relied on the Greeks and later on the Asian locals to replenish his Grand army and garrisons.
Now the Greeks will rebel, they won't replenish the Macedonian army, they will fight it.

Alexander has plenty of opportunity to fight back to the coast and get back to Macedon for another army and another round.
There is no "another" army.
Antipater's army is barely enough to keep the Greeks in check and protect Macedon from the North.

About your point on France being a large country especially compared to Macedonia (not that I dispute that), wasn't Germany more important as a source of manpower for Napoleon?