Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two basic problems with that:

1. We have got a large number of greens around already many in likely areas for an Islamist uprising- any colour needs to stand out against Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Sudan and Nigeria for example.

2. While we associate Green with Islam, if you look at the flags and emblems used by most actual Islamist groups- al-Qaeda, the Taliban, the Islamic State, the Mujahedeen, the Courts- it's not green but black which is commonly used (harking back to the Abbasid Caliphate I suspect).

Now obviously we can't use black, but how about this, just slightly tinged with Green.

well if you need something just as a placeholder i'm pretty sure there's some unique colors for various Middle Eastern states in TACOS

The difference between 0,15,0 and 5,15,5 is negligible. Here's the former.
So, that's the definitive colour, or the former?

BTW, question. When did we start to show several Francophone African countries as French client states?
You're mistaken : current shade doesn't represent francophone countries or Françafrique per se, but countries whom France influence greatly politics, economy, military all together at the point where it have a previlegied position.
You'll notice that Côte d'Ivoire or Sénégal, for example, aren't represented as such because while there is still an overall favoured position, it's not an hegemonic one.

I know that Gabon is basically a French colony, but otherwise that might be a bit of a stretch (unless we tag Honduras/Colombia/Liberia/etc. as American clients)
Mali : Mali actually complains that french presence prevents their army to advance freely in North Mali. Limitation of sovereignty is ground enough for picturing an influence zone there.

Niger : Is pretty much the most obvious one after Gabon. AREVA presence, conventions on uranium made bilateraly and not on global values, use of defense agreements at his own benefit (for exemple 2007 situation, where french army didn't intervened before Niger accepted to re-negociate agreements with other countries about the ressources)

Cameroun : It's the one I would arguably less sure about. But economical-political influence is pretty much a reality (Bolloré being able to put its terms against other entreprises), diplomatical support was important to make the current direction stand (depsite having passed decades on power. Cameroon being one of the most corrupt countries in Africa).

Centrafrique : Military and dominant economical presence (Total, AREVA) in between of Niger and Cameroun. The open hostility against Samba-Panza made the new transitional leader position weaker (Brazaville Forum without CAF politics, for example).
As in Niger, France didn't intervened in behalf of defense agreements before disagreement with Bozizé were resolved (by Bozizé being out of the game) : about oil being attributed to China, namely.

Of course Franc CFA itself is an important tool : it basically makes concerned countries forced to put around 2/3 of their monetary reserves in France, unable to take an important decision without agreement with Banque de France

We can disagree and discuss on this, of course, but please believe I didn't coulored randomly these countries, but tried to highlight where limitation of sovereignty was enforced and benefited to France.
If you find similar situation elsewhere, whatever in Africa or America, please propose them. We can use a more geopolitically accurate map.

Is that sorting out well?
(Anyway thanks again for the source, we didn't focused much on Africa, and geopolitics there are still pretty important. Do you have something similar for Southern Africa?)*

Alex, I was thinking. We may need a specific colour for Islamist rebellions and insurgencies, as we have for communists.

Cool map. It's interesting how France has basically remade its African Empire. But shouldn't Afghanistan be coloured as occupied?

Cool map. It's interesting how France has basically remade its African Empire.
Actually, it can be argued that first, it never really left to begin with, and that its influence greatly decreased since 70's/80's.

But shouldn't Afghanistan be coloured as occupied?
Probably but by who? I couldn't find a good map of the current situation so far.

I've tried to make Northern Transylvania look better and I've fixed Slovakia.

HungarySlovakiaPatch.png

If we're going to mark autonomous regions in China and Russia, should we also mark the Indian reservations in the USA? They have a lot of autonomy to make their own decisions.

If we're going to mark autonomous regions in China and Russia, should we also mark the Indian reservations in the USA? They have a lot of autonomy to make their own decisions.

I'm not a big fan of the idea.

1) Geopolitically, they make far less sense than Russia or China's autonomous republics/regions.
2) They don't form their own administratives entities rivaling with states, but are included in these.
3) Too small to be noticable on a worlda.
4) Their level of (theoritical) autonomy isn't comparable : territory "loaned" by the federal state, limited sovereignty that, from what I gather, isn't really comparable to a state sovereignty. If we had the place (which we don't) I would rather favour the use of princeley state border rather than colour for marking them.

Ok... so pretty interesting question here... How would one show a multi-state Federated Empire being in an economic union and military alliance? Example below.

Union.png

Ok... so here we have the German Empire, with Austria and Bohemia being constituent monarchies within, and the Kingdom of Pannonia. Politically, they are independent of one another. Different heads of state, heads of government, etc. However, they are in an exclusive economic union where resources are traded between in exchange for products in return. Pannonian Ores being traded to Germany for processing, to be returned to Pannonia as cables, girders, etc. Both nations have their own currency, yet they are also fixed and interchangeable. Ten Forint is equal to Ten Marks. Typically they are used within their country of origin but are accepted in the others market should they turn up. And of course, there is a Military alliance between the two.

Initially, I had intended to use the "German Empire" color to outline the entire "Kingdom of Pannonia." However the two nations have very different internal and external politics, and are not influenced one way or another by the other nation. And of course outlining just the extended borders shows "extra-territorial claims" so that's out. Another option I had thought of however was the reverse... Coloring only the near side of the borders to show such a relationship, unique from Suzerainty in that no tribute is shared between the two nations and both have representation on the world stage, (as opposed to one merely standing beside its Suzerain who dominated foreign policy).

How does that sound? The German Empire, while being an independent nation, also has a shared economy with the Kingdom of Pannonia. To show the relationship, the color of the German Empire is used in the Kingdom of Pannonia ONLY on the borders which they share to denote exclusive trading rights/agreements. Comparable to a Trade League or Trade Union (like a localized version of the European Union)

Union.png

Ok... so pretty interesting question here... How would one show a multi-state Federated Empire being in an economic union and military alliance
Most generally you don't, unless these ties implies a dominance from A over B. In which case, you should use A lighter shade to colour B.

Furthermore, unless Austria and Bohemia are independent de facto, you shouldn't colour them with their usual colour. As it's a federal empire, I would say use princley state border with either darker shade if they are autonomous, lighter shade if they are largely autonomous (with limited sovereignty), or even colour them the same than German Empire (while retaining borders) if their degree of autonomy/sovereignty is the same than the rest of the empire.

Most generally you don't, unless these ties implies a dominance from A over B. In which case, you should use A lighter shade to colour B.

Furthermore, unless Austria and Bohemia are independent de facto, you shouldn't colour them with their usual colour. As it's a federal empire, I would say use princley state border with either darker shade if they are autonomous, lighter shade if they are largely autonomous (with limited sovereignty), or even colour them the same than German Empire (while retaining borders) if their degree of autonomy/sovereignty is the same than the rest of the empire.
Good point... No colors it is.

As for the Kingdoms, they retain their coloration exclusively for the sake that, though they are apart of a Federal Empire, they have unique ambitions. Not shown on this portion of the map, but I'll use an example:

The German Empire as a whole does not lay claim to Pannonia, However, Austria holds claim to the western portions of of Pannonia, where Ethnic Germans and Austrian nationals reside. The German Empire, in this case, does not officially endorse the claims of the Austrian Crown and has no intention to enforce them, but will mediate/draft a compromise between the two nations involved. Which in this case would be Autonomy to Austrians living in Western Pannonia and freedom of person (ability to move between the two nations/dual citizenship).

It would be like Texas claiming the Rio Grande, but the US not inheriting that claim after Texan Annexation. So the state of Texas still holds that claim and, if it wanted to fight for it, would do so on its own with no funding/assistance from the US outside of volunteers who paid for their way to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.