pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
Hello everyone i've got a question regarding the Fall of Mussolini in 1943
so...
let's say that Balbo stays as air marshal instead of being exiled to Libya thus isn't killed in 1940 and is picked as replacement to Mussolini in 43 instead of Badoglio after the vote of no confidence because he's well known and on friendly terms with Roosvelt and Churchill.
In the Italian civil war that would erupt at the armistice like OTL, we have basically fascist vs fascist.
ignoring the plot holes of how balbo is not "exiled" as OTL my questions is: with whom would every main fascist take side? who will go with the Salò republic of Mussolini and who would stay with Balbo?
i'm kinda sure that Dino Grandi would stay on Balbo's side as they are very good friends and was one of the plotters with the king for the deposition of the Duce.
but what about the others? Ciano, Starace, Farinacci and other main names?

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
Farinacci would still be very loyal to Mussolini.
i honestly think that he would follow Mussolini jsut because they are both on the german side rather then loyalty. If i'm not mistaken Farinacci was trying to do a similar manouver to Dino Grandi's but instead of giving back powers to the king to concentrate them into the hands of the fascist party

Would a Civil War even start under Balbo? In OTL Badoglio's incompetence and indecision were the key factors behind the German invasion and the enstablishment of the Republic of Salò.

On the other hand why would the king choose to support Balbo over Badoglio ITTL? OTL Badoglio was chosen exactly because he wasn't a member of the Fascist Party making him a more credible alternative to Mussolini.

Balbo on the other hand was quite literally a founder of the Party, with many members of the opposition wanting his head both methaporically and literally.

Either the Civil War doesn't start ITTL or it is even worse as De Gasperi and Togliatti refuse to collaborate with Balbo.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
Would a Civil War even start under Balbo? In OTL Badoglio's incompetence and indecision were the key factors behind the German invasion and the enstablishment of the Republic of Salò.

On the other hand why would the king choose to support Balbo over Badoglio ITTL? OTL Badoglio was chosen exactly because he wasn't a member of the Fascist Party making him a more credible alternative to Mussolini.

Balbo on the other hand was quite literally a founder of the Party, with many members of the opposition wanting his head both methaporically and literally.

Either the Civil War doesn't start ITTL or it is even worse as De Gasperi and Togliatti refuse to collaborate with Balbo.
well, according the biography written on Balbo I've recently read, he was an opportunity fascist as it was his best way to go up in politics. He also comes from a family very… open minded as his father was a fervent monarchist, his older brother a syndicalist and his second brother a Mazzinian republican( even Balbo was a republican for some time until 1920)
During the fascist regime Balbo in his air squadron raids met up and become friends with the likes of Churchill and Roosevelt ( i'll always laugh at the sioux giving him an honorary title "chief flying eagle"). So while he's guilty as other fascist of various violence crimes i think he might be able to create with Dino Grandi ( another fascist of opportunity) a new right wing party if the events require it.
In my Opinion he is a better candidate rather than Badoglio as he already proved leadership abilities and is known and seen in a good light by the allies leader other than being friends with Umberto II .
On the civil war issue, it will happens anyway as the Germans knew what was happening in Italy and had already devised plans Alaric and Konstantin to occupy as much possible Italian land. Farinacci and others would simply joins the puppet simply out of same ideology ( Farinacci just before the deposition of Benny wanted to leave full control to Germany knowing that Mussolini was no longer in control)
btw here's the book i've read

Balbo would also be able to bring his past accomplishments to the table. He was seen as a hero by lots of people in Italy and elsewhere and would have brought some people to the side of the Allies that might not have done just because of who he was.

If Balbo moves fast enough to form a strong pro-American government, there may well be no civil war, with the Germans instead straight annexing the OZAK/OZAV areas and leaving the rest under a different puppet government.