I’m not decided on a particular TL but the something in the 60s could be interesting. My best guess would be fighting would would be funneled into Korea due to it “sore thumb” like nature for both sides. Beyond that IDK.

Let me know if this has been discussed before. Also please let me know if I’m missing some of the AH.com etiquette, as this is my first post.

The Soviet Far East held SSBN bases, I’d need to check precisely where at this point in time. But they had planned patrol areas close to the West Coast. Similarly, Polaris subs would patrol near the Soviet Far East.

So besides probably fighting in Korea, expect a lot of sea combat as both sides try to get at each other’s SSBNs. Probably mixed in with American nuclear strikes against Soviet fleet bases.

The other evident thing I forgot to mention in the original post was the naval aspect. This could be greatly complicated by the specific circumstances of the war. Mainly does China get involved. Although it’s hard to see Chinese-Soviet cooperation early in the timeline.

Tom Clancy comes to mind taking about Cold War nuclear sub action. He probably covers some this in his books, but i unfortunately haven’t read any.

Can SSBNs in the vastness of the Pacific even be hunted? The American submarines can scatter easily. The Soviets need to break out of the Sea of Japan, but even then, the Sea of Japan is still big enough for submarines to hide there.
Also, when in the 1960s? If it's the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, how many SSBNs existed? And what forces were deployed in the Pacific? Such a war would likely end up with the nuclear obliteration of Europe and the USSR. I guess the Soviets still manage to take Japan down with them?

American strategy at the time consisted of surface fleet action against the Soviet submarine forces in the Strait of Tartary and the Sea of Japan. Their nascent SSBN fleet would need to sortie to the Indian Ocean in order to strike the Soviet's industrial heartland near the Caucuses. Australia would be drawn into the surface fleet actions near Japan. The surface fleet actions would also be centred on Korea and China.

Can SSBNs in the vastness of the Pacific even be hunted? The American submarines can scatter easily. The Soviets need to break out of the Sea of Japan, but even then, the Sea of Japan is still big enough for submarines to hide there.
Also, when in the 1960s? If it's the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, how many SSBNs existed? And what forces were deployed in the Pacific? Such a war would likely end up with the nuclear obliteration of Europe and the USSR. I guess the Soviets still manage to take Japan down with them?
When I mentioned the 60s I had the DMZ conflict in mind. Concurrent with the Vietnam war. Something around 1980 could work for the more conventional scenario. I would assume that’s within more people’s wheelhouse.

Frankly I would have the setting be in the late 60's to accommodate the Flexible Response doctrine or maybe a pod post-1948 to negate the need for nukes asap at the start of conflict in war planning.

I asked a similar question based on the alternate history documentary “ World War III”. Although things were a bit different in 1990 than the 60s. I definitely believe Korea will be reignited as well as the Soviet and American Pacific fleets fighting each other. Japan will also be fighting the soviets near the Sakhalin Islands. I don’t know about China.

Vast majority of US SSBN patrols during Cold War were in the Atlantic. Once the Tridents went to Bangor that picked up again. From around 71ish to 81 ish we had Ivy Bells information. We would have known everything the Soviets did in the Pacific. US 594 and 637 class boats would have slaughtered the Soviets during that era. Soviets didn’t match those until Victor IIIs. One of the main focus of the West during the CW was putting a fast boat behind every Soviet SSBN. A Brit boat trailed one for an entire patrol. They were noisy POC.