Can relate, I get very nervous regarding my writing
Heck I should be writing right now but I got too anxious and thought "well I could take a nap and do the rest tomorrow?" and here we are, and its not even tomorrow!

Well everything should be in France, at least so say the french

I like that
I mean Ill be honest I very much prefer history book-y chapters and if I were the author I'd be panicking at the idea of changing it to character-focused(I dreaded every dialogue I wrote >.>) but I think you can pull it off and since it'd be focused on a single individual I think it could be something special depending on what you're going for, it'd be a good "season end" for example
I definitely prefer the history book, too. I enjoy the little notes / quotes I stick in, but I've the idea of doing some vignettes with some...I don't want to say minor characters, as this person will be of some importance, but more in a niche way, rather than someone noted in in-depth history. It would be sort of a one-off, so to speak... if people enjoy it, I'd do it for other 'characters' but the main story would remain history book style, simply because it's what I'm most comfortable in. (I can't imagine doing an ATL in narrative style, unless it's like a future story way past the POD... kudos to people who can do it!)

Now I’m also intrigued as to what happens with Bohemia-Hungary. Louis and Mary could have kids of course but he might die without issue as otl which means that Anne’s marriage is still of great importance. It’ll be interesting who gets her
It's certainly an interesting aspect, isn't it? I've been toying with the idea of Anna being so distraught that her marriage is broken that she becomes a nun... but still, if Louis and Mary have no kids and something similar to ~Mohacs happens, it would be a disaster! Anna would the key to anyone seeking a claim.

First, welcome back, Drake! 🙂 I really enjoy your writing!
Regarding the TL, maybe a "Sebastianist" movement could rise up in Castile later, with Philip as the "hidden prince" that will save the nation.
Also, I like the small differences that down the line will have huge differences. Charles still wins, but the compromise with the moderates (if not betrayed later) might mean a more "parlamentarian" Castile.
I wonder what Francisco de Vitoria and the other members of the "School of Salamanca" will comment about these developments.

This is a pretty good outcome for Castile, all things considered. It makes sense that the nobles would be able to wring more concessions from Charles and develop a less absolutist system of government. I wonder how the revolt will be seen down the line—while the nobles suppressed the peasants and workers, they still had shared justifications in opposing an absentee, exploitative king, and they achieved the rebels’ original goal of returning power to (some of) the Castilian people. I’m also curious about how the other Iberian kingdoms reacted and what the consequences will be there.

Also... speaking of where we go next, I've got an idea for the next chapter... likely in France.

I've got a few ideas how I'd like to play it out, besides typical history book style. I was thinking of maybe dipping into a narrative style, or some sort of 'overview' style. Rather than a broad chapter, it would focus on a single person.

Does that interest anyone?
Sure, sounds good to me!

Excellent chapter, the revolt will definitely have great implications for Spain. On the one hand, it opens the possibility of developing a political system that is less absolutist and susceptible to incompetent kings. On the other hand, the empowerment of the courts is going to be a tough obstacle to centralization. Ferdiand may not be King (yet), but given his character more inclined to dialogue and his position as governor of the Spanish kingdoms on behalf of Charles, maybe he will manage in his regency to eliminate some political/economic barriers between the kingdoms that make up Spain and establish the idea of a supreme court/parliament.

Aluma, geeze: thank you so much! I'll be honest: I've always been a little subconscious about my writing (even a kid), so hearing someone say it's "novel quality"... well, that's a massive compliment, thank you.

Ha: yes, exactly. That's exactly what it is.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Austria, without Ferdinand as Governor / Ruler there. Certainly, he can straighten out Spain, but it'll be fun to see what happens in the East. Especially with his fiancé

I wouldn't count it out yet! Ferdinand is likely to get a royal pardon; after all, his thoughts on the matter are clear... he was sort of in a Elizabeth I esq. situation, when her sister was Queen. Ferdinand's goal with the rebels was just to survive, he never explicitly sided with one or another. Though Chalres named him a traitor, he's likely to be one of the first to get a pardon.

And he's likely to get an official position in Spain vs. going to Austria. Sooo... Isabella and Ferdinand is definitely still possible. ;)
Isabella of Portugal would NEVER EVER marry Ferdinand unless he is the recognized King of Castile and/or Aragon

Isabella of Portugal would NEVER EVER marry Ferdinand unless he is the recognized King of Castile and/or Aragon
Exactly! That! Is! Why! I! Wanted! A! King! Ferdinand!

I swear to the flying spaghetti monster that I shall write Ferdinand and Isabella: Electric Boogaloo myself soon!

Last edited:
So basically Spain is in crisis now? how will this affect Portugal? and Aragon?
To Portugal, in nothing especially. Aragon on the other hand, the crisis will most likely empower the local courts and this will cause a future headache for Ferdinand that he will have to work hard to resolve as governor.

Exactly! That! Is! Why! I! Wanted! A! King! Ferdinand!

I swear to the flying spaghetti monster that I shall write Ferdinand and Isabella: Electric Boogaloo myself soon!
Well, Regent Ferdinand still has a nice ring to it. And it will certainly have interesting implications because Ferdinand will domicile in Spain and have culturally Spanish children... meanwhile, Charles' eldest son has died. Though yes, Ferdinand as King would be interesting as well. He's likely to have a Portuguese marriage regardless, and IMO I disagree with Isabella refusing such a match. The whole Charles or the Convent argument came from the OTL situation where he put off the marriage; that doesn't exist here. Ferdinand is still a good catch, for either Isabella or Beatrice. I suppose you can argue that as the eldest daughter, Isabella should have a more prestigious marriage, but there's no kings or king's sons available at this moment of appropriate age she /could/ marry.
So basically Spain is in crisis now? how will this affect Portugal? and Aragon?
It won't effect Portugal; Portugal really wasn't impacted by the OTL Revolt of the Communeros. Aragon had it's own unrest in the period, the Revolt of the Germanies (Brotherhood). It has largely played out as OTL, and Germaine de Foix is likely to be appointed Viceroy there when Charles return. She'll work in conjunction with Ferdinand.
To Portugal, in nothing especially. Aragon on the other hand, the crisis will most likely empower the local courts and this will cause a future headache for Ferdinand that he will have to work hard to resolve as governor.
Yes, though to be fair: The various diets in Aragon (Aragon, Catalonia, Valencia) already possess pretty significant autonomy compared to their Castilian counterparts. The revolt in Castile and the agreements there will basically 'even' the playing field, as the king won't be able to do as he pleases in Castile... which also includes the massive incomes that will soon be coming into the Indies. With things calming in Castile and the moderate rebels making peace with the king, he will be able to use their assistance in dealing with the unrest in Aragon.

Can relate, I get very nervous regarding my writing
Heck I should be writing right now but I got too anxious and thought "well I could take a nap and do the rest tomorrow?" and here we are, and its not even tomorrow!

Well everything should be in France, at least so say the french

I like that
I mean Ill be honest I very much prefer history book-y chapters and if I were the author I'd be panicking at the idea of changing it to character-focused(I dreaded every dialogue I wrote >.>) but I think you can pull it off and since it'd be focused on a single individual I think it could be something special depending on what you're going for, it'd be a good "season end" for example
Finally someone who gets it! I can write narration of scenes and stuff with confidence but actually having two people talk suddenly makes me feel like a 5th grader trying to rewrite For Whom the Bells Tolls

Also, just finished reading this whole thing and I gotta say it's pretty interesting and we'll written, looking forward to how things will develop here and that France will be in a better path than OTL.

First, welcome back, Drake! 🙂 I really enjoy your writing!
Regarding the TL, maybe a "Sebastianist" movement could rise up in Castile later, with Philip as the "hidden prince" that will save the nation.
Also, I like the small differences that down the line will have huge differences. Charles still wins, but the compromise with the moderates (if not betrayed later) might mean a more "parlamentarian" Castile.
I wonder what Francisco de Vitoria and the other members of the "School of Salamanca" will comment about these developments.
Thanks Gonzaga! It is always so great to see an old friend!
I think that's entirely possible re: Prince Philip. He died very young, so people will be able to put whatever thoughts and aspirations they wish onto him.

That is the goal... now, if the king adheres to those promises (he doesn't have a good track record thus far...) it will certainly give the Cortes more say in the matter. I do believe though, that in this situation, Charles sees the need to work with Castile and not against it.

RE: The Salamanca movement, that will certainly be REALLY interesting! The Salamanca clergy already played a role in the revolt back at the Cortes at Compostella. While their petitions weren't accepted, it's likely that some of their more... moderate demands (such as the deputies of the Cortes having more specific powers, being able to have the king accept petitions, ect) will become enshrined in law and have massive effects going forward. Certainly, Castile will have a more parliamentarian government and the Cortes will scratch back some of those powers lost during the time of Isabella and Ferdinand. The intellectual movement there will certainly be able to provide a counterbalance to the Renaissance humanism that helped fuel the Protestant reformation.

Also, just finished reading this whole thing and I gotta say it's pretty interesting and we'll written, looking forward to how things will develop here and that France will be in a better path than OTL.
Thank you very much! I have some interesting ideas coming re: France.

Well, Regent Ferdinand still has a nice ring to it. And it will certainly have interesting implications because Ferdinand will domicile in Spain and have culturally Spanish children... meanwhile, Charles' eldest son has died. Though yes, Ferdinand as King would be interesting as well. He's likely to have a Portuguese marriage regardless, and IMO I disagree with Isabella refusing such a match. The whole Charles or the Convent argument came from the OTL situation where he put off the marriage; that doesn't exist here. Ferdinand is still a good catch, for either Isabella or Beatrice. I suppose you can argue that as the eldest daughter, Isabella should have a more prestigious marriage, but there's no kings or king's sons available at this moment of appropriate age she /could/ marry.
Manuel promised to Maria on her deathbed who Isabella would have married ONLY a King or his heir (and Beatrice also has to marry a ruler NOT a second son without lands of his own as Ferdinand is).

Manuel promised to Maria on her deathbed who Isabella would have married ONLY a King or his heir (and Beatrice also has to marry a ruler NOT a second son without lands of his own as Ferdinand is).
Did Isabella and Beatrice knew of this promise? Because if Manuel passed away I could see it not being fulfilled because the only one who knew about it is, well, dead

Would be quite a mean thing to do though!