An Alternate King for Canada

Simple question, was there ever a proposal to crown a king of an independent Canada that was not also King of Britain? preferably someone who is not British.

At the point where Confederation occurs in 1867, it goes further and declares independence under it's own monarchical system.

They invite either the family of the Duke of Cambridge, or of Prince Alfred to take the throne.

House of Cambridge:
1867-1904: George I and V
1904-1916: Augusta (1)
1916-1918: Frederick (2)
1918-1948: Marie (3)
1948-1982: George II and VI (4)

(1) - After her brother died without legitimate issue, she comes to the throne aged 82.
(2) - Grandson of Queen Augusta and only survived her by two years, after his own father the Crown Prince died two years before her.
(3) - After her brother provides no issue, she takes the throne.
(4) - Following his mother's first marriage and divorce to Count Jametel, George and his sister become heirs to the throne ...

At the point where Confederation occurs in 1867, it goes further and declares independence under it's own monarchical system.

They invite either the family of the Duke of Cambridge, or of Prince Alfred to take the throne.

House of Cambridge:
1867-1904: George I and V
1904-1916: Augusta (1)
1916-1918: Frederick (2)
1918-1948: Marie (3)
1948-1982: George II and VI (4)

(1) - After her brother died without legitimate issue, she comes to the throne aged 82.
(2) - Grandson of Queen Augusta and only survived her by two years, after his own father the Crown Prince died two years before her.
(3) - After her brother provides no issue, she takes the throne.
(4) - Following his mother's first marriage and divorce to Count Jametel, George and his sister become heirs to the throne ...

Why couldn't the duke of Cambridge still take up with his morganatic wife? Could make for an interesting time of it.

Frederick Charles of Prussia and Albert of Prussia could be good choices
In 1867 Frederick Charles would have an heir (Frederick Leopold - who could marry a Princess of Wales or Edinburgh to maintain good relations with England)
Alberto was still single but a good idea would be to marry him with Louisa United Kingdom, daughter of Vitoria
other princes could be considered as =
Prince Hermann of Schaumburg-Lippe
Prince Otto Heinrich of Schaumburg-Lippe
Prince Heinrich of Hesse and by Rhine
Prince Wilhelm of Hesse and by Rhine

I don't see how you could get Britain to consent to their colony/dominion (depending on the time of the POD) having a non-British monarch. So I think you'd either need to have:

A) A successgul non-republican revolt by Canada against Britain.

or
B) A war in which another country captures Canada and imposes a non-British monarch.

Alternately, you could have Britain and Canada start in personal union as OTL but adopt different succession policies which gardually results in a non-British monarch of Canada. e.g. Edward VIII could abdicate in England but stay on as King of Canada. He could have a daughter who then becomes Queen of Canada and marries into a non-British royal family, perhaps?

Another possibility - Canada accepts a new monarchy upon Confederation but adopts Salic Law in 1867 like Russia and France so invites in George V of Hanover given the Kingdom of Hanover ceased to exist in 1866.

1867-1878: George I and V
1878-1923: William I and V
1923-1953: George II and VI
1953-1987: Ernest
1987-0000: Ernest II

Someone did a TL years ago that involved the Russian Tsar fleeing to Alaska, and then became King of Canada. Iirc, that involved Alaska joining Canada rather than the US.

I believe that TL isn't around any more, and I don't remember enough details, but a Tsar as monarch of Canada is amusing.

There was an attempt to create a 'Kingdom of Canada' at the Confederation talks OTL, but I think it was more under the British crown than having its own monarch. There isn't a lot written about it, so it's hard to say. One thing is certain though, it would absolutely have to be a British monarch otherwise the Canadians will be dead set against it. They'd rather stick with Britain than have a foreigner on their new throne.

I recall reading a newspaper article made ~1911 about making princes within the British royal family rulers of the white dominions with the title of "Prince". Not sure how possible this is.

I really don't think this can be done in 1867. After the 1870s and 1880s, when Canada has asserted its legislative independence by convention? That's more possible.

Another possibility is that the Governor-General be a member of the royal family, like how Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, was Governor-General of Australia. Then have his son declared Governor-General, and so on, so that the post of "Governor-General" is a de facto royal one by the present day.