American Quilt collaborative TL proposal.

Found this on I09 the other day.

The PoD is that the Articles of Confederation never get replaced and the US slowly drifts apart.

There is some other fun stuff about currency and pop culture but very little in the way of hard "facts" which works to the advantage of anyone who's interested.

Seeing as Mormonism holds the (never written ITTL) constitution to be divinely inspired I'm not sure how the existence of Deseret can be explained (butterfly stampede notwithstanding).

Anyway, thoughts?

So basically a collaborative thing with a failed US. Doing some calculations last week, I found out that Virginia, with Kentucky and West Virginia, which were formerly Virginian, Virginia would have the 5th largest population and 8th largest area at the present. Virginia could likely expand and become quite powerful.

I'm in, if you guys are. I can definitely see Virginia becoming ultrapowerful, but I really don't see Deseret forming. Or California, for that matter, unless sponsored by British North America.

I'm in, if you guys are. I can definitely see Virginia becoming ultrapowerful, but I really don't see Deseret forming (1). Or California, for that matter, unless sponsored by British North America (2).

1: Neither can I
2: Sounds cool, go for it.

I think a good PoD would be the Annapolis Convention being more open to Jefferson's nitpicking (i.e. that the convention was called strictly to reorganize the Articles of Confederation, not scrap them). The Articles are changed a little, but left as they are, and as time goes on, the thirteen are so occupied with their own affairs that they are simply not changed. Apathy is what I'm saying, I guess?

So, uh, I definitely want to do this. Are we going to do it entry-style like most collabs or are we going to be properly writing?

This could be fun. Each person could try working on the story of a different independent state and then they could be meshed together?

I was thinking about this for North Carolina: NC remains going along, with a widening gap between the Scots-Irish and Planter elite. Finally, the lower classes revolt, unhappy about the fact they have no representation. Then, the Virginians invade on the side of the planter elite, setting up a puppet "Republic of Halifax" in the northeast, while the rest remains somewhat of a reactionary republic.

I wouldn't mind taking Pennsylvania or Massachusetts. I was thinking consolidation of New England by Massachusetts and a war against Virginia by Pennsylvania, conflicting claims for Kentucky maybe. I'll go into more detail later.

I would prefer New Jersey, New York, or Georgia. I can definitely see interesting stories happening with New Jersey--a tiny independent state trying to retain its independence despite the voracious powers nearby. New York would be interesting as well, and an agricultural-elite-derived kingdom in Georgia would be most interesting.

There would be ethnic tensions in New York as well. Dutchmen, English and Yankee newcomers would all be fighting each other. Pennsylvania will suffer troubles as well, but I don't know how badly the Anglo Saxon and Germans got along with each other, my understanding was that it was never very messy. The distinction between the planter elite and the yeomen would cause troubles in the South, and I would not be surprised to see a West Virginia equivalent. The question is would a disunited states butterfly the cotton gin? If so there would be a whole lot less slaves than otl. The only pretty homogenous culture bloc would be Yankee New England that and their high population may allow a federation of New Englander states to punch above their weight. However for them their is no where to expand. That would perhaps make the states the primary colonizers Africa, at least among the American nations.

Assuming there is no Northwest Ordinance, Virginia is going to be full of tension, between the tidewater/bluegrass/Jackson purchase aristocrats, the Appalachian folk, and all those French/German/Yankee settlers north of the Ohio.

I would prefer New Jersey, New York, or Georgia. I can definitely see interesting stories happening with New Jersey--a tiny independent state trying to retain its independence despite the voracious powers nearby. New York would be interesting as well, and an agricultural-elite-derived kingdom in Georgia would be most interesting.

Not to mention little Delaware!

Good idea focusing on the states first and their evolution into the polities on the maps. What I personally would find interesting is how the slow collapse of the United States affects Europe and the wider world (we can see how Canada is affected quite easily, no Monroe Doctrine afterall)

I'd be interested in participating as well. Just a few clarifying questions; The idea is to focus on the thirteen original states or the states as they appear on the map? Is that link the sum total of information provided about TTL?

So what is the POD. We need somebody to write that up, then perhaps we each write a chapter for our state going up to 1800.