Name: Associazione Calcio Milan
Nickname: Rossoneri (Red and Blacks), Il Diavolo (The Devil)
Home Ground: Stadio San Siro
Capacity: 80,000
League: Serie A

Honors:

Domestic

Serie A (10): 1901, 1906, 1907, 1950/51, 1956/57, 1958/59, 1961/62, 1967/68, 1972/73, 2021/22

Serie B (3): 1980/81, 1982/83, 1995/96

Coppa Italia (4): 1966/67, 1972/73, 2002/03, 2015/16

Supercoppa Italiana: 2016

Continental

European Champions League (4): 1957/58, 1962/63, 1967/68, 2022/23

UEFA Cup:
1985/86 (Semi-finals)

European Cup Winners Cup: 1967/68

Latin Cup: 1951, 1956

Intercontinental Cup: 1969

AC Milan was founded as Milan Foot-Ball and Cricket Club in 1899 by English expatriate Herbert Kilpin, who claimed that the team shall be one made of devils, with the colors red and black being made to invoke fear in their opponents. Sure enough, the Devils managed to be competitive from the very start, with Milan winning the Italian Football Championship in 1901, followed by two more titles during the decade. However, 1908 saw a massive dispute occurring in the club. That year, the Italian Football Association announced that there would be two National Championships - the Italian National Championship and the Italian Federal Championship.

Herbert Kilpin, AC Milan's Founder
View attachment 856631

The Italian National Championship in itself imposed a rule that only Italians must play for their respective Teams, while the Federal Championship was open to anyone. While the decision was that Milan would play in the National Championship, many of the members disagreed due to a good number of players being Swiss.

And so, a group of Italians and Swiss were unhappy about the domination of Italians in the Milan team and broke away from them, leading to the creation of Internazionale. The name of the club derives from the wish of its founding members to accept foreign players without limits as well as Italians. Thus, from 1908 onwards, the two Milan sides were direct enemies to one another, with the first Milan derby occurring on October 18th in which FC Milan won 2-1. However, Internazionale was the far more successful club of the two, with Milan struggling for the ensuing decades.

Nowadays, the Milan Derby (Aka Derby della Madonnina) Is one of Europe's greatest
View attachment 856611

It would take Milan years to finally recover, and they did so in the Record-breaking 1950/51 season of Serie A, where the Black and Reds scored 107 goals to win their first Scudetto thanks to the Swedish trio Gunnar Nordahl, Gunnar Gren and Nils Liedholm. Subsequently, Milan would win the Latin Cup in 1951, and they would repeat that success in 1956. With the European Cup established in 1955, Milan would qualify for the tournament in 1957, eventually Winning the European Cup in the 1957/58 iteration after winning against Hungarian side Vasas, thus becoming the first Italian club to win the competition.

The iconic No-Lie-Gre trio of 50s Milan
View attachment 856612

The 1960s began with the debut of Milan's legend Gianni Rivera in 1960: he would remain with the club for the rest of his career for the following 19 seasons. In 1961, Nereo Rocco was appointed as new coach of the club, which under his leadership won immediately a scudetto in 1961–62, followed, in the next season, by Milan's first European Cup triumph, achieved after beating Benfica in the final. The 60s saw Milan grow into a member of the "Big ones" group of Italian clubs consisting of City Rivals Internazionale and Torinese Clubs Juventus and Torino, followed closely by Bologna and Fiorentina. 1968 saw Milan achieve the Scudetto once more, along with beating Ajax in the European Cup finals, and winning their first Coppa Italia in 1967 against Padova.

The 1970s were characterized by several memorable seasons in which Milan battled against its greatest rivals and iconic players like Gianni Rivera. A double occurred in the 1972/73 season, where Milan beat Juventus both in Serie A and Coppa Italia, and the latter parts of the decade then saw the club hunting their 10th title, in an effort to earn the fabled Gold Star.

Gianni Rivera
View attachment 856613

However, with the 70s ending, Milan would enter a seemingly endless freefall. The club in 1980 was involved in the Totonero scandal and as punishment was relegated to Serie B for the first time in its history. The scandal was centred around a betting syndicate paying players and officials to fix the outcome of matches. Milan achieved promotion back to Serie A at the first attempt, winning the 1980–81 Serie B title, but were again relegated a year later as the team ended its 1981–82 campaign in third-last place. In 1983, Milan won the Serie B title for the second time in three seasons to return to Serie A, where they achieved a sixth-place finish in 1983–84. The late 80s would see Milan constantly fighting in the lower ends of the table, with Paolo Virdis Constantly saving the club from relegation. But, there were some highlights like the club's appearance in the UEFA Cup Semi-finals, where they beat Tottenham Hotspur on penalties.

Pietro Paolo Virdis, the man who saved Milan for the entirety of the mid 80s
View attachment 856614

But, 1989 saw Milan finally run out of steam, and the club went down for the third time in their history. It would take Milan 7 years to finally come back to Serie A, and an 11th place saw concerns that the Devils would likely fall back to Serie B. A few years in the mid table saw Milan stagnate, but the Rossoneri did sign a bit of a coup when they got Zvonimir Boban from Bari and later down the line Filippo Inzaghi From Atalanta for a fee of 17 million €.

With that, AC Milan began the new millennium with some promising form, including a memorable 3-0 thrashing of Inter, but Milan could only finish 12th, and the following few years were at best seeing Milan finish 3rd in the 2005/06 season, along with winning the Coppa Italia in 2002/03. But, it would all soon come crashing down, when it was uncovered that the club was involved in the Calciopoli scandal. Thus, Milan was deducted 15 points in the 2006/07 season and prohibited from participating in any European competition.

Milan's magician - Filippo "Pippo" Inzaghi
View attachment 856623

Following the scandal, local rivals Internazionale dominanted the league, followed closely by Roma; Fiorentina, and most shockingly Genoa and Udinese. The club greatly declined in form, and would only manage to win one trophy during this period after lifting the 2015/16 Coppa Italia. However, this was nothing more but a false dawn, as Milan struggled in Serie A. But, the hiring of Stefano Pioli started a set of circumstances that would see the club improve in form from 2019 onwards. Finally, 2021/22 saw AC Milan win Serie A for the first time in 17 years, thus ending the club's wait for the 10th Scudetto, and adding the Golden Star to their badge. Nowadays, Milan has been enjoying another respectable period of success, with their triumph in the European Cup making them one of the most successful clubs in Europe. Domestically, the club has once again established itself as one of the league's most competitive, with their rivalry with Internazionale once again being deemed as one of Europe's greatest along with El Classico, the Ost-West derby, the Yugoslav Derby and the Merseyside Derby.
Ah, so no Silvio Il Bozo in your world? I mean, sure, outside of football, he was a bozo, but you can't deny he loved the club, even if he did use it to become president of italy.

MINOR SPOILERS: i am trying to find a way to have Milan still enjoy their success with Sacchi and Ancelotti, since i grew up watching the Pirlo-era Milan and they hold a special place in my heart, without Silvio as owner, with somebody more...savory, as owner...either that, or find a way for Silvio to either A) sell mediaset or B) have him not wanting to become president of italy and just concentrate on football...i guess i'll need help concerning that, since i'm french canadian, so i dunno much about italian history or politics

Ah, so no Silvio Il Bozo in your world? I mean, sure, outside of football, he was a bozo, but you can't deny he loved the club, even if he did use it to become president of italy.

MINOR SPOILERS: i am trying to find a way to have Milan still enjoy their success with Sacchi and Ancelotti, since i grew up watching the Pirlo-era Milan and they hold a special place in my heart, without Silvio as owner, with somebody more...savory, as owner...either that, or find a way for Silvio to either A) sell mediaset or B) have him not wanting to become president of italya nd just concentrate on football...i guess i'll need help concerning that, since i'm french canadain, so i dunno much about italian history or politics
I'll be honest... I always despised AC Milan, but it felt really wrong for me to just make them a punching bag for this post. I wanted to give them a happy ending in the end, especially after what would be 5 decades of misery here.

VfB Stuttgart
1200px-VfB_Stuttgart_1893_Logo.svg.png

Name: VFB Stuttgart
City: Stuttgart
Nicknames: Die Rotten (the reds), Die Schwaben (the Swabians)
Home ground: Mercedes-Benz Stadium
attendance: 60,449
League: Bundesliga

Honors

Domestic

German championship/Bundesliga: 1949-1950, 1951-1952, 1983-1984, 1991-1992, 2006-2007

DFB Pokal: 1953-1954, 1957-1958, 1982-1983, 1996-1997, 2012-2013, 2021-2022, 2022-2023

EUROPEAN

UEFA CUP: 1973-1974 and 1988-1989 runner-up

Cup Winners Cup: 1997-1998 Runner-ups

Verein für Bewegungsspiele Stuttgart was formed through a 2 April 1912 merger of predecessor sides Stuttgarter FV and FC Krone Cannstatt following a meeting in the Concordia hotel in Cannstatt. Each of these clubs was made up of school pupils with middle-class roots who learned new sports such as rugby and football from English expatriates such as William Cail who introduced rugby in 1865.

Football_team_of_VfB_Stuttgart_in_1912.jpg
Stuttgart team in 1912

Following the 1912 merger of these two clubs, the combined side played at first in the Kreisliga Württemberg and then in the Bezirksliga Württemberg-Baden, earning a number of top three finishes and claiming a title there in 1927. The club also made several appearances in the final rounds of the SFV in the late 1920s and early 1930s. In 1933, VfB moved to Neckar Stadium, the site of its current ground. German football was re-organized that same year under the Third Reich into sixteen top-flight divisions called Gauligen. Stuttgart played in the Gauliga Württemberg and enjoyed considerable success there, winning division titles in 1935, 1937, 1938, 1940, and 1943 before the Gauliga system collapsed part way through the 1944–45 season due to World War II. The club had an intense rivalry with Stuttgarter Kickers throughout this period.

VfB's Gauliga titles earned the team entry to the national playoff rounds, with their best result coming in 1935 when they advanced to the final where they lost 4–6 to defending champions Schalke 04, the dominant side of the era. After a third-place result at the national level in 1937, Stuttgart was not able to advance out of the preliminary rounds in subsequent appearances.

Stuttgart's first titles came in the 50s, where they won two national titles and two german cups, led by Robert Schlienz who had lost his left arm in a car crash. Despite these successes, no player from the Stuttgart squad had a place in the team that won the 1954 FIFA World Cup.

1952_DM_00000_frz_1152x648.jpg
the 1950s stuttgart championship teams

Due to disappointing results in international competition including the 1958 and 1962 FIFA World Cup, and in response to the growth of professionalism in the sport, the German Football Association (Deutscher Fußball Bund, or DFB) replaced the regional top flight competitions with a single nationwide professional league in 1963. Stuttgart's consistently solid play through the 1950s earned them a place among the 16 clubs that would make up the original Bundesliga. As an amateur organisation, and due to proverbial Swabian austerity, the club hesitated to spend money, and some players continued to work in an everyday job. Throughout the balance of the decade and until the mid-1970s, the club would generally earn mid-table results. One of the few stars of the time was Gilbert Gress from Strasbourg.

In 1973, the team qualified for the UEFA Cup for the first time and advanced to the final of the 1974 tournament, where they would lose to Gianni Rivera and Nereo Rocco's Milan.

football-bundesliga-1974-1975-stadium-an-der-castroper-strasse-vfl-bochum-versus-vfb-stuttgart.jpg

VfB Stuttgart was in crisis in the mid-1970s, having missed new trends in football such as club sponsorship. Attempts to catch up with new levels of professionalism by spending money failed. Towards the end of the 1974–75 season, with the team in imminent danger of being relegated to Second Bundesliga, local politician Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder was elected as new president. However, a draw in the final game of the season meant that VfB would be ranked 16th and lose its Bundesliga status. The first season in the second league, considered the worst in its history, ended with VfB being ranked 11th, having even lost a home game against local rival SSV Reutlingen in front of just 1,200 spectators.

With new coach Jürgen Sundermann and new talents like Karlheinz Förster and Hansi Müller, the team built around Ottmar Hitzfeld scored one hundred goals in 1976–77 and thus returned to the top-flight after just two seasons.

The young team was popular for offensive and high-scoring play, but suffered from lack of experience. At the end of 1977–78, VfB was ranked fourth, but the average attendance of over 53,000 set the league record until the 1990s. In 1978/79 they finished second in the Bundesliga. They made another UEFA Cup semi-final appearance in 1980 and delivered a number of top four finishes on their way to their first Bundesliga title – the club's third national title – in the 1983/84 season, now under coach Helmut Benthaus and a great team featuring the likes of the forster brothers, Hansi Muller, Guido Buchwald, frenchman Didier Six and a young teenaged prodigy named Jurgen Klinsmann.

Dj5ockRW0AEKmRM.jpg

Stuttgart would consistently play the premier roles in the german scene, finishing as runner up in the 1986 pokal against Bayern and reaching the 1989 UEFA Cup final, losing to Arrigo Sacchi's Milan before winning their 4th national title in 1991-1992, with coach christoph daum, Klinsmann in his prime and a team featuring Maurizio Gaudino, Fritz Walter, Andreas Buck and future Ballon D'or winner Mattias Sammer in one of the closest bundesliga race in history.

As national champions, the club qualified to play in the UEFA Champions League in 1992–93, but were eliminated in the first round by Leeds United after a tie-breaking third match in Barcelona which was required due to coach Christoph Daum having substituted a fourth non-German player in the tie's second leg.

VfB did not qualify for any European competition again until 1997, by way of their third German Cup win, with coach Joachim Löw. They enjoyed a measure of success on their return, advancing to the 1998 European Cup Winners' Cup final in Stockholm, where they lost to Gainfranco Zola's Napoli.

Only one player of the "magic triangle", captain Krassimir Balakov, remained after Giovane Élber and Fredi Bobic left, for Juventus and Dortmund, respectively. Löw's contract was not renewed, and he was replaced by Winfried Schäfer, who in turn was sacked after one season.

Stuttgart's performance, however, fell off after this as the club earned just mid-table results over the next two seasons despite spending money on the transfer market and having veterans like Balakov.

Due to high debts and the lack of results, Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder finally resigned from VfB in 2000 to take over offices at the DFB, UEFA, and FIFA. New president Manfred Haas had to renegotiate expensive contracts with players who seldom appeared on the field anyway. As in 1976, when Mayer-Vorfelder had taken over, the team had to be rebuilt by relying on talents from the youth teams. The VfB has Germany's most successful program in the German youth Championship.

Coach Ralf Rangnick had started a restructuring of the team that won the Intertoto Cup, but the resulting extra strain of the UEFA Cup participation ended in narrowly escaping from relegation in 2001 by clinching the 15th spot in the league table. Rangnick was replaced by Felix Magath.

With players like Andreas Hinkel, Kevin Kurányi, Timo Hildebrand, and Alexander Hleb earning themselves the nickname "the young and wild", the club soon re-bounded and finished as Bundesliga runners-up in the 2002–03 season. In July 2003, Erwin Staudt became the new president of the club.

trapattoni-stuttgart-752x501.jpg

wonder what kind of joke Trappatoni was telling them...

The club had a great performance in the 2003-2004 UEFA Cup tournament, beating Manchester United and Rangers once and Panathinaikos twice to advance from the group stage as runners-up to Manchester United. They were matched up to the Galacticos Real Madrid in the round of 16, where they would lose 2-1 on aggregate.

Stuttgart would then finish 4th and 5th in 2003-2004 and 2004-2005, and then, with Armin Veh as coach, and the emergence of Mario Gomez, Serdar Tasci and Sami Khedira alongside the young and wild core, Stuttgart would best the odds and become german champions!

Meisterfeier-2007_00000_frz_752x423.jpg

In the years afterwards, the likes of Kuranyi, Mario Gomez, Hleb and others would depart, with the team now rebuilding around Tasci, Khedira and newboys christain gentner, Vedad Ibisevic and Shinji Okazaki. That side would win the german cup in 2012-2013.

Ralf Ragnick then came back as club manager, rebuilding the side around young products such as Daniel Didavi, Serge Gnabry, Timo Baumgartl, Antonio Rudiger and Timo Werner alongside the veterans Khedira, Tasci and Gentner and goalkeeper Sven Ulreich, as well as shrewd signings like Marcel Halstenberg, Lukas Klostermann, Emil Forsberg, Diego Demme, Naby Keita and the returning Mario Gomez as a free agent from Bayern in 2016

EbiJeIoWsAA_tH4.jpg:large

Timo Werner

The club would become once again a perennial fixture in the bundesliga with this squad, finishing runner up to Schalke in 2017-2018 and 2020-2021, as well reaching the UEFA Cup semi-finals that same season, losing to finalists Marseille. Since then, the club has been a regular in the UEFA Cup, regularly making the final four, but never reaching the final so far.

The most recent seasons saw Stuttgart finally win some silverware, wimning back to back German cups in 2022 and 2023. However, with Rudiger having left for Valencia and the championship window starting to close, stuttgart has been splashing the cash to try and get that much coveted Bundesliga and first european title, with Dominic Szbozolai from Austria Salzburg, Dayot Upamecano from Lens and Alexander Nubel from Schalke coming in to bolster the squad ahead of their ambitious title challenge.

600px-Neckarstadion_2011.jpg

2023-2024 Stuttgart Lineup:

Nubel

Klostermann Rudiger Baumgartl Halstenberg

Demme Keita

Gnabry Szbozolai Forsberg

Werner

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta admit...the sttutgart one was not my best one. I pretty much did it too quickly for my taste. I was re-reading my man city entry and it made me realise that i had much more fun thinking about what if would have been like without blood money and sportswashing for City to still somehow be successful without it...you know, that kind of stuff. Where i really add my own spin to an established club.

VfB Leipzig
1200px-VfB_Leipzig_-_1902-1922.svg.png

Name: Verein Für Bewegungsspiele Leipzig (AKA VfB Leipzig)
Nicknames: Blau-Weiss (The Blue-and-whites)
Founded: 11 November 1893
Ground: Zentralstadion
Capacity: 42,000
League: Bundesliga

Honours:

Domestic:

German Football Championship: 1903, 1904, 1906, 1913
German Bundesliga: 1987/88
2. Bundesliga: 2015/16

3. Liga: Runners-up (2008/09)
DFB Pokal: 1936, 1980/81, 1985/86, 1986/87, 2022/23
DFL Superpokal: 2023

Regional:

Mitteldeutsche Fussball Meisterschaft: 1903, 1904, 1906, 1907, 1910, 1911, 1913, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1927
Gauliga Sachsen: Runners-up (1933/34, 1938/39)
Regionalliga Nordost: 1963/64
Oberliga Ost:
Runners-up (1953/54)

Continental

European Champions League: Quarter-finals (1988/89)
UEFA Cup/Europa League: Semi-finals (1973/74)
Cup Winners Cup: Runners-up (1987/88)
Inter-Cities fairs Cup: Quarter-finals (1966/67)

The club was formed as VfB Leipzig on 13 May, 1896, out of the football department of the gymnastics club Allgemeine Turnverein 1845 Leipzig. However, the club laid claim to an earlier date of origin by reaching back to a club that was merged with VfB Leipzig in 1898, the SC Sportbrüder Leipzig, which was one of four football clubs formed in Leipzig in 1893. Following the merger with SC Sportbrüder Leipzig, the club competed under the name VfB Sportbrüder 1893 Leipzig. VfB Sportbrüder 1893 Leipzig was one of the original 86 teams that came together in the city on 28 January 1900 to form the German Football Association (DFB). On 2 May, 1900, the Sportbrüder 1893 part of the name was dropped, and the team became again known as VfB Leipzig.

VfB Leipzig were immediately successful at their chosen sport and made their way to the first German national championship final held in 1903, and they won it again just a year later, with the Blue and Whites becoming an early dominant force in German football. But, with the Great War breaking out in 1914, all of Football activity was halted, as millions went on to die in the western front.

Leipzig's initial squad
250px-German_Football_Champion_1903.jpg
After the war, Germany's footballing landscape changed greatly with many of the western clubs establishing themselves in the elite, like Stuttgart, Nurnberg and Greuther Furth. Leipzig though remained a largely underachieving side, with their greatest accolades being their triumphs in the Middle German Championship, a regional competition where another growing power soon went on to dominate - Dresdner SC. With the Nazi party taking over and the Gauliga system implemented, Leipzig went on to become one of the Gauliga Sachsen's strongest sides, but would struggle in the National Championship with their finest achievement being their first ever DFB Pokal win in 1936, when they beat the dominant Schalke 04.

BC6133.jpg

Following the Second World War, The club, like most other organizations in Germany, including sports and football clubs, was dissolved by the occupying Allied authorities in the aftermath of the war. Club members reconstituted the team in 1946 as SG Probstheida under the auspices of the occupying Soviets. After playing as BSG Erich Zeigner Probstheida and then BSG Einheit Ost, but the renaming soon came to an end when the German occupied territories unified into the German Federal Republic. With that, the East Soviet Occupied Zone became the East Oberliga, in which Leipzig played. Unfortunately, Leipzig would struggle on for the next two decades, with the club risking relegation to the feared Bezirksliga. Then, it all changed in the early 60s, when the Bundesliga was established. All of a sudden, the East Oberliga became the Regionalliga Nordost, and whoever finished in the top 2 would go on to play in the qualifiers for the Bundesliga. Who finished first in the second year of the Regionalliga? Indeed, it was Leipzig. All of a sudden, the Blau-Weiss - Germany's first ever champions were gonna play in the top flight of German football.

Things started off relatively fine, with the team finishing 12th in their initial season before jumping to 10th in 1965/66, where they were invited to the Inter-cities fairs cup. Soon enough, it was realised that Leipzig would become famous for their heroics in Europe, rather than their domestic success. In their first ever European Season, Leipzig got all the way to the Quarter-finals of the competition, only to be beaten by Kilmarnock. The next few years were relatively the same, with Leipzig being a mid table side before disaster struck in 1968/69, where Leipzig went through a terrible season that saw them scoring only 19 points and finish bottom of the league, thus being relegated to the Regionalliga, all while their regional rivals Dresden were going up.

Leipzig's 1969 squad
csm_lokomotive-leipzig-1966_24a1fb7cff.jpg

Only a year would pass until Leipzig would return to the Bundesliga, and they would at least manage to remain there largely thanks to players Wolfram Lowe, Dieter Kuhn, Reiner Lisiewicz and Wolfgang Altmann. In the 1973/74 season, Leipzig achieved its greatest result in the UEFA Cup by reaching the Semi-finals of the competition. During this journey, they beat Torino; Wolves; Admira Wacker and Ipswich, until running into Tottenham Hotspur. Starting from the 80s, Leipzig would strike a golden age, with the team regularly competing in Europe, although with mixed results, and even Winning their first piece of silverware since the pre-war days thanks to the 1981 DFB Pokal final, beating Eintracht Frankfurt to qualify for the Cup Winners Cup. There, Leipzig would cause a stir by reaching the quarter finals of the competition, and even beating Barcelona 2-1. After that, Leipzig would compete in Europe almost yearly, with their greatest heights being a round of 16 appearance in 1983/84. Another DFB Pokal triumph followed in 1986, and it was in the Cup Winners Cup where Leipzig would have their finest hour, as they reached the finals of the competition. Unfortunately, they were beaten by the mighty Ajax thanks to Marco Van Basten, but it all got even better when a year later, Leipzig surprised everyone to win the Bundesliga for the first time in their history. Thanks to a new, fresh set of players like Uwe Zotsche, Ronald Kreer, Matthias Liebers, Olaf Marschall and in the early parts of the decade - Lothar Matthaus, Leipzig was able to finally become National champions and qualify for the European Cup, where they finished in the quarter-finals after being beaten out by Red Star Belgrade in penalties.
csm_Ajax_Amsterdam_1fc5a23efd.jpg

A championship hangover would then take place, with the club regressing further, and the club would go further down the League table until once again, disaster struck in the 1992/93 season, where Leipzig finished bottom for the second time in their history. Thus, Leipzig was Relegated to the second Bundesliga, where the club would play in for the next 7 years. During this period, Leipzig was removed from the 110 thousand capacity Zentralstadion to the 10 times smalled Bruno-Plache Stadion, with the Zentralstadion being renovated for the following 15 years in preparation for the 2010 World Cup in Germany. Following their 3rd spot in the 2nd Bundesliga in 1999, Leipzig would begin the new millennium by once again playing in the top flight of German Football, but with less than pleasant results. A best finish of 13th saw Leipzig struggle for much of their stay in the Bundesliga, and 2002/03 saw them getting Relegated once again by the slimmest of margins. This time though, the club was going through a freefall, and Leipzig would keep on falling further down the order until eventually reaching the Regionalliga, the third tier of German Football. There, Leipzig would slowly recover in the financial aspects. But either way, these were truly dark times for Leipzig.

Perhaps tragically, Leipzig's 100th anniversary of their first title was commemorated right when they were relegated
pan_024xlw.jpg
The next five years were mostly dominated by average results in the Regionalliga, before it was switched to the 3. Liga. There, Leipzig was consistently behind their rivals, all while the Zentralstadion was being rebuilt into a behemoth that quite heartbrakingly, would not see Leipzig play in due to the club's status in the 3rd League. Then finally, in 2008/09, Leipzig finished 2nd in the 3. Liga and qualified for the 2nd Bundesliga, entering the 2nd tier of German Football after 6 years of absence. There, the results were becoming more and more encouraging, and the club's return to the Zentralstadion finally occured in 2010 after the World Cup, where a massive celebration took place. Leipzig would fight in the 2nd League for most of the decade, establishing themselves as a consistent side in the competition. Further improvement with their results soon enough opened the doors, and Leipzig would finally win the 2nd Bundesliga during the 2015/16 season, marking the club's comeback to the 1st Bundesliga after an excrutiating 13 year absence.
1004a014w.jpg

Following the club's return to the Bundesliga, VfB Leipzig has been a relatively consistent side that occasionally manages to take it up to Bayerns, Borussias and Stuttgarts of the league. It started off concerningly, with the club only managing a best finish of 9th during their first four years in the Bundesliga, but a phenomenal performance in the 2022/23 season did see Leipzig lift their first DFB Pokal in over 3 decades, thus qualifying for the Europa League, along with winning the DFL Superpokal, mostly thanks to the heroics of the young Dominik Szoboszlai.
257147824_459481282491818_3905493410726114413_n.jpg

Last edited:
Chelsea's "Big four" part 3
Chelsea's "Big Four", part 3: 2012/13 season

"I'm signing for the Champions League winner."

Those words were tweeted by Belgian winger Eden Hazard, shortly after Sergio Aguero's extra time winner had given Chelsea their first ever Champions League win. However, Ancelotti's plans suffered a blow when Aguero suffered a knee injury 13 minutes into a 2-0 win away to Wigan Athletic. He would return on 29th September, opening the scoring in a 2-1 win at The Emirates before scoring in a 4-1 win at home to Norwich City. But it was at the end of October that he would once again make a difference, outpacing Patrice Evra to complete Chelsea's comeback from 2-0 down to beat Man Utd 3-2. A brace followed in what would turn out to be a decisive 4-1 win over Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League, before scoring Chelsea's second in a 2-1 win over Liverpool and a brace in a 3-2 win at West Bromwich Albion which ensured that Chelsea remained top of the league going into December, despite consecutive goalless draws against Manchester City and Fulham and a first loss of the season at West Ham. Despite being briefly displaced from the top by Man Utd while on Club World Cup duty, Chelsea would roar back on goal difference following a 7-0 demolition of Aston Villa. By the time the New Year rolled around, only goal difference separated the top two:

1. Chelsea P19 46pts (GD +25)
2. Man Utd P20 46pts (GD +19)
3. Man City P20 38pts
4. Arsenal P20 36pts
5. Tottenham P20 34pts
6. Everton P20 33pts

However, Chelsea began to run out of steam in the second half of the season. A last-minute goal by Moussa Sissoko at St James Park in early February saw Newcastle salvage a 3-3 draw, and by the end of February the Blues had been leapfrogged by Man Utd following a 2-0 defeat at the Etihad. While there was little danger of them falling into the four-way battle for the remaining Champions League spots between Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton, Chelsea suddenly found themselves trying to keep up, with both teams being eliminated from the Champions League at the round of 16 - Man Utd by Real Madrid and Chelsea by Borussia Dortmund. Man Utd's draw at West Ham allowed Chelsea to return to the top, but a 2-1 defeat at Southampton saw them once again behind Man Utd, before the Red Devils extended their lead as Chelsea drew 2-2 at home to Tottenham and then away to Liverpool - in a game more notable for Luis Suarez sinking his teeth into Branislav Ivanovic. But then the pendulum swung back to the Blue Corner. Man Utd were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Man City, before Chelsea ground out a 1-0 win at Old Trafford go back to the top on goal difference. The title race went to the final day - Man Utd needed to better Chelsea's result (or win by at least 5 goals more), while Chelsea hoped to make it a double after Sergio Aguero's goals against Man City and Wigan had kept the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge. In the end, a resolute Everton held Chelsea to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge, while Man Utd ran riot at the Hawthorns in a 5-0 win. That would be Carlo Ancelotti's last match at Stamford Bridge; not due to Roman Abramovich's itchy trigger finger, but due to the Italian being headhunted by Real Madrid following the departure of Jose Mourinho. As such, Roman Abramovich shone the bat-signal with Mourinho's face lit up, and the "Special One" answered the call. Also departing was Sir Alex Ferguson as he rode off into the sunset, and Roberto Mancini, sacked by Manchester City after a 3-2 defeat at home to Norwich had seen them tumble out of the top four on the final day of the season.

1. Man Utd 89pts
2. Chelsea 87pts
3. Arsenal 73pts
4. Tottenham 70pts
5. Man City 69pts
6. Everton 67pts

Last edited:
Club Athletico Paulistano
Well, this one's going to be on the universe of a football TL i'm planning on posting soon:

480px-CA_Paulistano.svg.png

Name: Club Athletico Paulistano
City: São Paulo
Nickname: Alvirrubro Paulista
Founded: 29 December 1900
Venue: Estádio Jardim América
Capacity: 45,000
League: Campeonato Brasileiro - Série A

Club Athletico Paulistano, known simply as Paulistano, is a Brazilian multisport club based in São Paulo. Founded on 29 December 1900, the club was a founding member of LPF (Liga Paulista de Foot-Ball) and took part on the first São Paulo city league in 1902, the first league championship in Brazil.

The team, although competitive, would only find little success during the LPF era of the league (1902-1912), and was mainly distinguished for being the owner of the Velódromo, the stadium used as the venue for all league matches. A dispute over the value of the rent that LPF paid Paulistano for the use of the stadium led to Paulistano, plus another two teams, leaving the league and forming their own league, the Associação Paulista de Esportes Atléticos (APEA) - the next four years would have two parallel city championships until LPF folded in 1916, and the amateur years at APEA would prove to be one of the team's most victorious, with the team winning four championships in a row between 1916 and 1919, a mark that would never be replicated afterwards, and the team establishing itself as one of the city's powerhouses, along with more recent arrivals Corinthians and Palestra Itália, with the three becoming collectively known as the "Trio de Ferro". A major contributor to this success was Arthur Friedenreich, in these days counted among the all-time greats of football, who became six times top-scorer of the São Paulo championship during his time with the club.

In March and April 1925 Paulistano became the first Brazilian side to tour continental Europe, a trip that to date forms a major part of the club's folklore. Paulistano, reinforced with Araken Patusca from Santos FC and three far less prominent players from Rio's Flamengo, won nine out of ten matches in France, Swabia and Portugal, encountering and defeating also the national teams of the three countries.

However, at this time, professionalism had become a increasingly controversial topic, with the Argentinian and Uruguayan leagues having recently legalized professionalism. Although under the regulations of the time, professionalism was forbidden, most teams paid their players covertly to remain competitive. So, when APEA voted on allowing professionalism in 1926, partly to keep itself from losing players to the newly-professionalized Plata teams, the motion passed without much difficulty (but not without opposition), But the disputes continued within the team itself. The club, after initial opposition, eventually decided to allow professionalism, which caused a split, with the staunch amateurs in the club leaving to form a new amateur team, Clube Atlético São Paulo, which would go on to become one of the premier amateur teams in the country.

However, despite the split, the team would remain competitive, though financially strained, into the 30s, and would eventually hit a bad phase during the late 30s. The team began recovering again during the 40s, with the team signing names such as world champions Leônidas, Luisinho and Zezé Procópio and Argentinian Antonio Sastre, and the team would go on to win five city titles in the decade and its second Rio-São Paulo title.

In contrast, the 50s and 60s would be considerably less victorious decades, with the club first prioritizing financially the expansion of its Jardim América stadium (which the team had initially built after selling the Velódromo in 1915), and finding it hard to compete with the Palestra and Corinthians's early 50's squads, and then after that, the rise of Pelé's Santos making it even harder to compete, with the team spending 13 years without a official title. Paulistano would also become one of the first participants of the Campeonato Brasileiro in 1959, and would remain as a consistent participant in the competition to this day.

The team would return to a certain kind of form during the 70s, although the team was certainly more competitive than in the previous decade, titles remained hard to come by, with the team funishing as runner-up in the national championship thrice (twice to Atlético Mineiro and once to Palestra Itália) during the decade. Despite the releative lack of titles, many of the club's idols, like Valdir Peres, Serginho Chulapa, Pedro Rocha, Dario Pereyra and Pablo Forlán, would play for the clube in that decade. The pattern continued during the 80s, with the team losing another final (to Grêmio) in 1981, until the team won its first national championship in 1986, with a team featuring Careca, Falcão, Silas, Oscar and Müller. The decade was capped with another national finals loss, this time to Vasco da Gama.

However, during the early 90s, the club would surpass even its 1910s and 1940s successes - although the decade begain with Paulistano, which had hired Telê Santana as a manager early in the year, losing in the national finals again (to Corinthians), the team would win its second national title the next year, against championship sensation Bragantino, and the club began a period of consistent achievement both nationally and internationally, with the team, deaturing Zetti, Müller, Palhinha, Toninho Cerezo and Raí, winning the Copa América and the Intercontinental Cup back-to back in 1992 and 1993, plus a Copa CONMEBOL in 1994.

Telê would eventually retire in 1996, and the rest of the decade and the beginning of the next would be marked by relatively lackluster performances, until the time returned to form in 2002, winning the national championship again. Paulistano would go on to win another Copa América-Intercontinental double in 2005, and the national championship another two times in 2006 and 2008. However, after that, the team hit another slump which arguably has been going to this day, only punctuated by a Copa CONMEBOL win in 2012.

Honours:

Intercontinental Cup: 1992, 1993, 2005
Copa América: 1992, 1993, 2005
Copa CONMEBOL: 1994, 2012
Torneio Rio-São Paulo: 1934, 1946
Campeonato Brasileiro winners: 1986, 1991, 2002, 2006, 2008
Campeonato Brasileiro runners-up: 1971, 1973, 1977, 1981, 1989, 1990, 2007, 2014
Campeonato Paulistano: 1905, 1908, 1913, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1921, 1926, 1927, 1931, 1943, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1953, 1957, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1980, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2021

Last edited:
Well, this one's going to be on the universe of a football TL i'm planning on posting soon:

480px-CA_Paulistano.svg.png

Name: Club Athletico Paulistano
City: São Paulo
Nickname: Alvirrubro Paulista
Founded: 29 December 1900
Venue: Estádio Jardim América
Capacity: 45,000
League: Campeonato Brasileiro - Série A

Club Athletico Paulistano, known simply as Paulistano, is a Brazilian multisport club based in São Paulo. Founded on 29 December 1900, the club was a founding member of LPF (Liga Paulista de Foot-Ball) and took part on the first São Paulo city league in 1902, the first league championship in Brazil.

The team, although competitive, would only find little success during the LPF era of the league (1902-1912), and was mainly distinguished for being the owner of the Velódromo, the stadium used as the venue for all league matches. A dispute over the value of the rent that LPF paid Paulistano for the use of the stadium led to Paulistano, plus another two teams, leaving the league and forming their own league, the Associação Paulista de Esportes Atléticos (APEA) - the next four years would have two parallel city championships until LPF folded in 1916, and the amateur years at APEA would prove to be one of the team's most victorious, with the team winning four championships in a row between 1916 and 1919, a mark that would never be replicated afterwards, and the team establishing itself as one of the city's powerhouses, along with more recent arrivals Corinthians and Palestra Itália, with the three becoming collectively known as the "Trio de Ferro". A major contributor to this success was Arthur Friedenreich, in these days counted among the all-time greats of football, who became six times top-scorer of the São Paulo championship during his time with the club.

In March and April 1925 Paulistano became the first Brazilian side to tour continental Europe, a trip that to date forms a major part of the club's folklore. Paulistano, reinforced with Araken Patusca from Santos FC and three far less prominent players from Rio's Flamengo, won nine out of ten matches in France, Swabia and Portugal, encountering and defeating also the national teams of the three countries.

However, at this time, professionalism had become a increasingly controversial topic, with the Argentinian and Uruguayan leagues having recently legalized professionalism. Although under the regulations of the time, professionalism was forbidden, most teams paid their players covertly to remain competitive. So, when APEA voted on allowing professionalism in 1926, partly to keep itself from losing players to the newly-professionalized Plata teams, the motion passed without much difficulty (but not without opposition), But the disputes continued within the team itself. The club, after initial opposition, eventually decided to allow professionalism, which caused a split, with the staunch amateurs in the club leaving to form a new amateur team, Clube Atlético São Paulo, which would go on to become one of the premier amateur teams in the country.

However, despite the split, the team would remain competitive, though financially strained, into the 30s, and would eventually hit a bad phase during the late 30s. The team began recovering again during the 40s, with the team signing names such as world champions Leônidas, Luisinho and Zezé Procópio and Argentinian Antonio Sastre, and the team would go on to win five city titles in the decade and its second Rio-São Paulo title.

In contrast, the 50s and 60s would be considerably less victorious decades, with the club first prioritizing financially the expansion of its Jardim América stadium, and finding it hard to compete with the Palestra and Corinthians's early 50's squads, and then after that, the rise of Pelé's Santos making it even harder to compete, with the team spending 13 years without a official title. Paulistano would also become one of the first participants of the Campeonato Brasileiro in 1959, and would remain as a consistent participant in the competition to this day.

The team would return to a certain kind of form during the 70s, although the team was certainly more competitive than in the previous decade, titles remained hard to come by, with the team funishing as runner-up in the national championship thrice (twice to Atlético Mineiro and once to Palestra Itália) during the decade. Despite the releative lack of titles, many of the club's idols, like Valdir Peres, Serginho Chulapa, Pedro Rocha, Dario Pereyra and Pablo Forlán, would play for the clube in that decade. The pattern continued during the 80s, with the team losing another final (to Grêmio) in 1981, until the team won its first national championship in 1986, with a team featuring Careca, Falcão, Silas, Oscar and Müller. The decade was capped with another national finals loss, this time to Vasco da Gama.

However, during the early 90s, the club would surpass even its 1910s and 1940s successes - although the decade begain with Paulistano, which had hired Telê Santana as a manager early in the year, losing in the national finals again (to Corinthians), the team would win its second national title the next year, against championship sensation Bragantino, and the club began a period of consistent achievement both nationally and internationally, with the team, deaturing Zetti, Müller, Palhinha, Toninho Cerezo and Raí, winning the Copa América and the Intercontinental Cup back-to back in 1992 and 1993, plus a Copa CONMEBOL in 1994.

Telê would eventually retire in 1996, and the rest of the decade and the beginning of the next would be marked by relatively lackluster performances, until the time returned to form in 2002, winning the national championship again. Paulistano would go on to win another Copa América-Intercontinental double in 2005, and the national championship another two times in 2006 and 2008. However, after that, the team hit another slump which arguably has been in to this day, only punctuated by a Copa CONMEBOL win in 2012.

Honours:

Intercontinental Cup: 1992, 1993, 2005
Copa América: 1992, 1993, 2005
Copa CONMEBOL: 1994, 2012
Torneio Rio-São Paulo: 1934, 1946
Campeonato Brasileiro winners: 1986, 1991, 2002, 2006, 2008
Campeonato Brasileiro runners-up: 1971, 1973, 1977, 1981, 1989, 1990, 2007, 2014
Campeonato Paulistano: 1905, 1908, 1913, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1921, 1926, 1927, 1931, 1943, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1953, 1957, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1980, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2021
Interesting. Could this involve the Brazilian Série A not being established?

Interesting. Could this involve the Brazilian Série A not being established?

There is still a national championship, but the tournament has a different logic (it still relies on state championships for its qualification and in the TTL present day it works closer to its OTL 1985 format) and never adopts a full double round-robin format. in this context, "Série A" refers to the group of teams within the championship that do not qualify through the state championships. I might post a example of what that looks like later.

Last edited:
There is still a national championship, but the tournament has a different logic (it still relies on state championships for its qualification and in the TTL present day it works closer to its OTL 1985 format) and never adopts a full double round-robin format. in this context, "Série A" refers to the group of teams within the championship that do not qualify through the state championships. I might post a example of what that looks like later.
Sounds very interesting 🙂
Looking forward to seeing it!

Yeah, it is interesting, to see continents that are underrepresented...honeslty, i should start inventing stuff for the ASL and the canadian super league in my world...though its gonna be a big undertaking, starting something from a blank slate, so it won't be for now, at least

Chelsea
1280px-Chelsea_FC.svg.png

Name: Chelsea Football Club
City: London
Nicknames: the Blues
Home ground: Stamford Bridge
Attendance: 40,343
League: Football League first division

HONORS

DOMESTIC

First division
: 1954-1955, 1998-1999

Second division: 1983-1984, 1988-1989

FA Cup: 1949-1950, 1993-1994, 2019-2020, 2021-2022

League Cup: 1964-1965,

EUROPEAN

Cup Winners Cup
: 1965-1966, 1994-1995 (semi-finalists) 2020/2021 (runner-up), 2022-2023

Chelsea Football Club, based in Fulham, West London, are seen as the very distant 4th best club in London behind Arsenal, West Ham United and Tottenham.

In 1904, Gus Mears acquired the Stamford Bridge athletics stadium in Fulham with the aim of turning it into a football ground. An offer to lease it to nearby Fulham F.C. was turned down, so Mears opted to found his own club to use the stadium. As there was already a team named Fulham in the borough, the name of the adjacent borough of Chelsea was chosen for the new club; names like Kensington FC, Stamford Bridge FC and London FC were also considered.

images
Chelsea in the 1910s

In their early years, Chelsea were a yo-yo club, bouncing up and down the first and second division. They became known as brightlights FC in that period, because they signed many star players and their home attendance ranked consistently at the highest average attendance.

Their first final was the 1915 FA Cup final, where they would bs thrashed by Sheffield United. Despite this lack of success, they remained a fixture of the first division.

GettyImages-79025630.jpg
Chelsea's 1954-1955 championship team

Success finally came in 1950 when they won their first ever FA Cup, and it was in that context that former Arsenal star Ted Drake became manager of the club two years later. Completely revamping the club, including improving the youth setups and signing lots of unknown players from the lower and amateur leagues, Chelsea would win the first division in 1954-1955, in time to participate in the first edition of the euopean cup. Being drawn agaisnt swedish champions Djugardens, Chelsea made short work of them before facing Hibernian in the quarter-finals, where they would sadly bow out 3-1 on aggregate.

Chelsea continued being competitive for the rest of the 50s, but they couldn't break the stronghold that matt Busby's manchester united had on the english game. In the 60s, Tommy Docherty was hired, and he built a really good side around the youth graduates that Drake built through his investments in the academy. In 1964-1965, they were on course for a domestic treble, winning the league cup, but faltering at the last hurdle to liverpool in the FA Cup and newly-promoted Leeds United in the league. The compensation prize would be avenging their FA Cup loss to liverpool in the 1966 cup winners cup final to win their first ever european trophy.

chelsea-squad-1966.jpg
chelsea at a 1965-1966 cup winners cup game agaisnt 1860 munich

The following two decades would be one of turmoil and instability for the blues. An expensive redevelopment plan of Stamford Bridge gave a massive hit to the club's finances, forcing them to sell their players and threatening for bankruptcy. That's where Ken Bates bought the club for the symbolic sum of $1, and would fight against the property developers that owned stamford bridge to keep chelsea at their home.

On the pitch, however, manager john neal formed a really good squad with little means, and Chelsea would win the second division title in 1984 and establish themselves as a first division team, with tbe most motable moment of chelsea's 1980s being David Speedie's last day goal which cost Liverpool the 1986 league title to West Ham. They suffered relegation in 1987-1988, but they immediately got back up by winning the second division the year after.

71TcpuwXpEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

After a long-running legal battle, Ken Bates finally managed to have the club own Stamford Bridge once again in 1992, and two years later, Chelsea, led by midfielder and captain dennis wise, would reach the FA Cup final, beating Oldham Athletic for their first major title since 1966. In the ensuing season, Chelsea would reach the cup winners cup semi-finals, losing to eventual winners Real Zaragosa on penalties.

In the mid-90s, Chelsea fan and businessman Matthew Harding, who became the club's director and invested a significant sum of money into thr club, engaged in a bitter civil war with Ken Bates over control of the club. Meanwhile, on the pitch, Chelsea attracted many eyeballs as they brought Ruud Gullit back to England as player-manager after his successful stint with Sampdoria in Italy. Taking advantage of the newly expanded 5 foreign starters rule, Gullit, along with his successors, George Graham and David O'Leary, brought in foreigners the likes of Dan Petrescu, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ed de Goey, Gus Poyet and Tore Andre Flo alongside the club's homegrown talents like captain Wise, Craig Burley, Ian Pearce, Frank Sinclair, Michael Dubbery and Eddie Newton.

skysports-jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink_4533603.jpg
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Chelsea's deadly marksman of the 90s and early 00s

This promising chelsea side, under the defensive coach George Graham following Gullit's sacking, would start relatively well, snatching the 5th place from Aston Villa in 1996-1997 to head to the UEFA cup, but losing to leicester city on penalties in the FA cup 5th round after Erland Johnsen was penalised for diving in the Leicester City box.

1997-1998 would see Chelsea go one step further, finishing 3rd behind Man Utd and Arsenal and reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup, losing to Sven Goran-Erkisson's Lazio. The club would also head to the 1997-1998 League cup final, where they would be bested by Alex Ferguson's Leeds United. During the ensuing offseason, the civil war for ownership of Chelsea ended with Matthew Harding successfully outing Ken Bates and assuming full ownership of his boyhood club. George Graham would also be dismissed and replaced by his assistant, Arsenal legend David O'Leary, who used a more balanced approach compared to Graham's conservative defense-first tactics.

Under the irishman, 1998-1999 would see Chelsea lose in the round of 16 in the UEFA Cup to Celta Vigo, but in the league, they would become the surprise darkhorse to the title, taking the fight to Man Utd and Arsenal. Chelsea was top of the table at boxing day, and only suffered their secod league loss to Arsenal at highbury in february, which still kept them in second place, justa point off arsenal. Three tightly contested wins agaisnt Middlesbrough, Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday in april proved to be the tipping point, as Chelsea ended up with an incredibly close 81 points over Man Utd's 79 points to win their first top division title in 44 years!

The following decade, due to the increasing gap between them and the big 5 of Man Utd, Arsenal, West Ham, Leeds and Liverpool, would see Chelsea become a perennial fixture in the first division's mid-table purgatory in the 2000s and the early parts of the 2010s, with occasional surprise top 6 finishes in odd years. Despite the lack of success, there were many notable players, such as goalkeepers Carlo Cudicini and Rob Green, defenders Michael Duberry, Ian Pearce, Mario Melchiot and Celestine Babayaro, midfielders Scott Parker, Boudewijn Zenden, Matthew Etherington, Yossi Benayoun and John Obi Mikel and forwards Marlon Harewood, Eidur Gudjohnssen and Carlton Cole. Notable managers in that time included Claudio Ranieri, Alan Pardew and former player Mark Hughes.

However, signs of a more positive future came around in the youth squads. The Chelsea youth teams would become dominant in both england and europe in the 2010s, and many of those youngsters, including the brothers Nathaniel and Trevoh Chalobah, Ruben Loftus-Cheeks, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Mason Mount, Lewis Baker, Canadian Fiyako Tomori, Reece James and Tammy Abraham, would all break through the first team as the decade closed.

rB8CLF5CfiOAMgJ6AAKvc_j4MIE844.jpg.webp

The young and tenacious Chelsea generation

Under Paul Clement, Chelsea started assembling the puzzle together, with veteran Ryan Bertrand and goalkeepers Marcus Bettinelli and Édouard Mendy joining veterans like Marcos Alonso,Thiago Silva, Olivier Giroud and Victor Moses in surrounding the young talents. The arrival of this new generation of Chelsea players into the limelight came in the 2020 FA Cup tournament, where the young blues amanged to stun the dominant Liverpool 2-0 in the 5th round, followed by a tough 1-0 win against Leicester City and a memorable 3-0 thrashing of Manchester United before facing another exciting youthful team in their dreaded and much more successful london rivals Arsenal. In a great match that showcased the future of english football, Tammy Abraham and Hudson-Odoi scored for Chelsea as the blues won 2-1 and gained their first major title since the 1998-1999 first division title.

With former Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe as manager, Chelsea finished two consecutive seasons on the podium, including a runner-up finish behind Liverpool in 2021-2022, along with finishing runner up in the 2020-2021 cup winners cup to Karim Benzema's Lyon. In that same year, the young blues pulled off a massive exploit by defeating said Liverpool squad on penalties in the FA Cup. While they would finish in 8th place, just outside the european places, they still managed to book themselevs their first ticket to the champions league since 1999-2000 by winning the 2023 cup winners cup, defeating FC Nantes in the final.

And now, with their golden generation now all entering their prime as well as bringing in some much needed depth off the bench in the transfer window, along with the decline of both Liverpool and Tottenham, Chelsea have now become among the favorites to win the 2023-2024 top division.

lampard_banner_stamford_bridge.jpg

Last edited:

Math

Kicked
ss_lazio_20220322_1488905361.png

Name: Lazio Athletic Club
City: Rome
Venue: Stadio Olimpico
Attendance: 70,634
Nickname: Il Biancocelesti (the white and sky blues), Le Aquile (the Eagle)
League: Serie A

HONORS

DOMESTIC

Serie A/National championship
: 1913-1914, 1914-1915, 1936-1937, 1972-1973, 1973-1974, 1999-2000

Coppa Italia: 1934-1935, 1957-1958, 1997-1998, 2003-2004, 2008-2009, 2012-2013

EUROPEAN

Cup Winners Cup
: 1998-1999

UEFA Supercup: 1999

Società Podistica Lazio, or Lazio Athletics Club, was founded on 9 January 1900 in the Prati rione of Rome, making it the oldest Roman football team currently active. Wanting to encompass more than just the city of Rome, the club's nine original founding members chose to name the club Lazio, the same name as the region where the city of Rome was built. The primary colour of sky blue was chosen as a tribute to ancient Greece and pays homage to the advent of the modern Olympic Games.

The club's first ever match came in 1902 against Virtus, a match considered, albeit unofficially, the first Rome Derby. That match was played at Piazza d'Armi, near Piazza Mazzini, and Lazio duly won 3–0 with a hat-trick from centre-forward Sante Ancherani.

In 1907, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) sponsored a Roman championship called I Categoria, which Lazio won, defeating early rivals Virtus in the final. Nonetheless, they were not invited into any national championship despite their success.

Lazio_1907.jpg
the 1907-1908 Lazio team

After this friendly football activity, Lazio officially gave birth to its football section in 1910 and joined official league competition in 1912 as soon as the FIGC began organising championships in the centre and south of Italy. Lazio reached the national final three times, winning back to back in 1913 and 1914 against Pro Vercelli and Casale, respectively, but losing the 1923 final to Bologna.

1914_Primafinale.jpg
Lazio's first championship teams

When FIGC launched its first national league system in 1926, Lazio started from the Prima Divisione, the forerunner of present-day Serie B.

The club played in the first organised Serie A in 1929 and made their league debut on 6 October 1929, defeating Bologna 3–0 at the Rondinella ground on Via Flaminia. However, the inaugural championship was less than brilliant for Lazio, who on the final day managing a meagre 15th-placed finish.

Lazio also had a considerable Brazilian influence in their early Serie A years, known as "Brasilazio", with the club employing lots of Brazilian talent. Their coach of the day, Amílcar Barbuy, was the first Brazilian to become involved with Italian football. However, this did not bring them success, as they finished eighth in 1930–31 and 13th in 1931–32.

la-squadra-della-lazio-negli-anni-trenta-brasilazio-810x648.jpg

Brasilazio

In the summer of 1932, Barbuy was replaced by an Austrian coach, Karl Stürmer, and he led the club to their first eve win in a Rome Derby, beating the giallorossi 2–1 at home. Two-straight tenth-placed finishes under Stürmer saw him replaced by compatriot Walter Alt in 1934. His arrival also coincided with that of Silvio Piola. Piola went on to become a legend of Lazio, the highest goalscorer in Serie A history.

38264.jpg
Silvio Piola

Led by the legendary striker Piola, Lazio achieved their first coppa italia triumph in that same season, 1934-1935, and then won the scudetto in 1937. The coach that season was Hungarian József Viola. They also competed in European competition for the first time, losing in the final of the Central European Cup against Ferencváros.

Lazio rounded out the decade with a memorable away derby win by 2–0 at the Campo Testaccio in 1939 and a solid fourth-placed finish in 1940.

This particular decade was dominated by Il Grande Torino, and Lazio could achieve no better than mid-table finishes. The 1948–49 season was a difficult one for the biancocelesti, as players were reduced to the minimum wage and several went on strike. They finished 13th, although they recovered the following season to record an impressive fourth-placed finish, made even sweeter by the difficulties of the previous year and the miserable campaign of Roma, who once again narrowly avoided the drop to Serie B.

In 1958, Lazio won its second ever Coppa Italia title. First, the club had topped their group of four, consisting of Palermo, Napoli and rivals Roma, before eliminating Marzotto and Juventus on the road to the final, where they met Fiorentina, Led by coach Fulvio Bernardini. Lazio beat la Viola 1–0 with a goal from striker Maurilio Prini, who had ironically just left Fiorentina.

Coppa_Italia_1958-09-24_SS_Lazio_-_Roberto_Lovati.jpg
Lazio captain Robert Lovati lifting the coppa italia in 1958

Unfortunately, the 60s would be a disastrous decade for Lazio, for they would be releagted in 1964 and would wait until the early 70s to get back to the top flight.

Upon their return to Serie A, Lazio build a resilient squad featuring the likes of captain Giuseppe Wilson on defense, Luciano Re Cecconi and Mario Frustalupi in midfield and the duo of Giorgio Chinaglia and rome-born argentine Delio Onnis. Together, Lazio would emerge as the surprise champions of Serie A in 1972-1973, beating Nereo Rocco's Milan and a young Juventus side for their first scudetto in decades. This would be followed by a dominant 1973-1974 campaign where they led from start to finish to go back-to-back.

1973%E2%80%9374_Societ%C3%A0_Sportiva_Lazio.jpg

Lazio's back-to-back scudetto winners in the 70s

Unfortunately, this success was not build upon, as Onnis left to join Monaco in the french league and midfielder Luciano Re Cecconi and coach tommasso maestrelli tragically died in 1976. The bottom of the barrell was hit when Lazio were forcibly relegated to Serie B following the Totonero scandal, and they would become a yo-yo club for much of the 80s before finally returning to Serie A for good in 1988 and stabilising themselves there.

Sergio-Cragnottii.jpg
Sergio Cragnotti, Lazio's iconic president in the 90s Serie A golden age

In 1992, Food bank businessman Sergio Cragnotti bought the club and invested in it, joining the spending frenzy of Serie A at the time as the league, the bestbin the world in those times, outbid each other to acquire the world's best players. Diego Fuser from Torino, Aaron Winter from Ajax and Giuseppe Signori from the surprise 5th place finishers Foggia were Cragnotti's first signings, followed by Alen Boksic and Paolo Nero in 1993, Jose Chamot in 1994 and czech manager zdenek Zeman in that same year, joining homegrown talents such as goalies Valerio Fiore and Flavio Roma, Giuseppe Favalli, Roberto Di Matteo and Alessandro Nesta.

Lazio would constantly finish in the top 4 of the legendary goldem age of Serie A in the 90s, but success still eluded them, which prompted a change in manager from Cargnotti, bringing in Sampdoria's all-conquering coach Sven-Goran Eriksson. Coming in were Pavek Nedved in 1996, Mattias Almeyda in 1997 and serbs Dejan Stankovic and Sinisa Mihaljovic and chilean Marcelo Salas in 1998, along with youth product Marco Di Vaio. Lazio would win their first silverware since 1974 by winning the coppa italia in 1998, but losing to Ronaldo's Inter in that same year's UEFA Cup final before embarking on a run to the cup winners cup title in 1999, also defeating UEFA Cup winners Manchester United in the final of the UEFA Super Cup that same year.

Lazio's time finally came in 1999-2000, where they engaged in a crazy 4-horse title fight with Juventus, Napoli and Parma. On the last day of the season, Juventus lost to Perugia and Lazio won, which meant Lazio became champions for the first time since the back to back in the 70s.

SS_Lazio_-_Coppa_Italia_1997-98.jpg

In that time, Lazio would compete in the champions league twice, in 1999-2000 and 2000-2001. They would reach the semi-finals in 99-00, losing to eventual winners Manchester United, while they would be stunned by Leeds United in 2000-2001.

However, a scandal involving prssident Cragnotti and his food products company forced him to sell the club, and Lazio would be forced to sell their stars, such as Nedved, Salas and Nesta.

What would follow would be up and down results, with the highs being an unexpected coppa italia win in 2003-2004 led by coach Roberto Mancini, the midfield mastery of Dejan Stankovic and the striker duo of Di Vaio and Bernardo Corradi, while the low would be relegation to Serie B following Calciopoli. Since then, Claudio Lotito bought the club and brought it back to Serie A on the first try, where they have been competing ever since.

With young, cheap talents onboard like fernando muslera, Modibo Diakité, Giugliemo Stentardo, Aleksandr Kolarov, stefan radu, cristian ledesma, Goran Pandev, Marco Parolo, Stefano Mauri and Stephan Lichsteiner alongside german marksman Miroslav Klose, Lazio would win two more coppa italias in 2009 and 2013 before doing another rebuild.

503245-22869349-2560-1440.jpg
The Laziale in the 2008-2009 coppa italia

With manager Simone Inzaghi and the likes of Mattia Perrin, Stefan De Vrij, Rodrigo Caio, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Danilo Cataldi, Balde Keita, Felipe Anderson, Andrea Conti and the career ressurection of Ciro Immobile, Lazio has turned into one of the most competitive sides in modern day Serie A, coming close to winning titles many times, first in 2019 when they lost the coppa italia to fiorentina and in 2020's crazy 4-horse title race where they lost out to Atalanta.

After finishing runner-up again in 2023 behind Napoli, Lazio is gearing up for a title challenge, with Cataldi and Sergej being joined by free agent Daichi Kamada in midfield and Nicolo Casale from Verona completing the back line with De Vrij and Caio.

toma-basic-of-ss-lazio-celebrates-with-team-mate-pedro-and-ciro-immobile-after-scoring-their.jpg
I think you could give a champions league title or at least a final to Lazio during the period 1998-99 to 2000-01, they had a very good team, certainly not inferior (in fact superior) Valencia, who reached two finals in that period.

Yeah, it is interesting, to see continents that are underrepresented...honeslty, i should start inventing stuff for the ASL and the canadian super league in my world...though its gonna be a big undertaking, starting something from a blank slate, so it won't be for now, at least

Speaking of blank slates, I wonder what would've been the development of association football, had Great Britain become a republic in the 19th century - you had a couple of relatively close calls back then (a friend's writing an AU fan fiction whose backdrop is a second Commonwealth being established in the 1830s, but the UK doing badly in the Crimean War or in India could've done that as well, since Victoria was quite unpopular after Albert's death).

I don't think the public schools that birthed the sport would be razed to the ground in a republican Great Britain, since it'd be a very monarchical republic (in much the same way the Church of England preserved many Catholic quirks even as it went Protestant), but those schools' football codes would be spread to the rest of the country much earlier, and the contingent of foppish purists would be weaker.

Rugby would still split off from association football (there'd still be plenty of people backing full contact rules), but compensating workers for injuries or travel expenses would be a no-brainer in a less classist Great Britain, so there'd be no League/Union split, and ATL rugby would resemble OTL rugby league much more than OTL rugby union. If Ireland is given equal status to England in the republic, hurling might become an organized sport much earlier, too.

Speaking of blank slates, I wonder what would've been the development of association football, had Great Britain become a republic in the 19th century - you had a couple of relatively close calls back then (a friend's writing an AU fan fiction whose backdrop is a second Commonwealth being established in the 1830s, but the UK doing badly in the Crimean War or in India could've done that as well, since Victoria was quite unpopular after Albert's death).

I don't think the public schools that birthed the sport would be razed to the ground in a republican Great Britain, since it'd be a very monarchical republic (in much the same way the Church of England preserved many Catholic quirks even as it went Protestant), but those schools' football codes would be spread to the rest of the country much earlier, and the contingent of foppish purists would be weaker.

Rugby would still split off from association football (there'd still be plenty of people backing full contact rules), but compensating workers for injuries or travel expenses would be a no-brainer in a less classist Great Britain, so there'd be no League/Union split, and ATL rugby would resemble OTL rugby league much more than OTL rugby union. If Ireland is given equal status to England in the republic, hurling might become an organized sport much earlier, too.
Well, in my world, the league split was averted when the rugby football union voted yes for professionalisation in 1893

1280px-Chelsea_FC.svg.png

Name: Chelsea Football Club
City: London
Nicknames: the Blues
Home ground: Stamford Bridge
Attendance: 40,343
League: Football League first division

HONORS

DOMESTIC

First division
: 1954-1955, 1998-1999

Second division: 1983-1984, 1988-1989

FA Cup: 1949-1950, 1993-1994, 2019-2020, 2021-2022

League Cup: 1964-1965,

EUROPEAN

Cup Winners Cup
: 1965-1966, 1994-1995 (semi-finalists) 2020/2021 (runner-up), 2022-2023

Chelsea Football Club, based in Fulham, West London, are seen as the very distant 4th best club in London behind Arsenal, West Ham United and Tottenham.

In 1904, Gus Mears acquired the Stamford Bridge athletics stadium in Fulham with the aim of turning it into a football ground. An offer to lease it to nearby Fulham F.C. was turned down, so Mears opted to found his own club to use the stadium. As there was already a team named Fulham in the borough, the name of the adjacent borough of Chelsea was chosen for the new club; names like Kensington FC, Stamford Bridge FC and London FC were also considered.

images
Chelsea in the 1910s

In their early years, Chelsea were a yo-yo club, bouncing up and down the first and second division. They became known as brightlights FC in that period, because they signed many star players and their home attendance ranked consistently at the highest average attendance.

Their first final was the 1915 FA Cup final, where they would bs thrashed by Sheffield United. Despite this lack of success, they remained a fixture of the first division.

GettyImages-79025630.jpg
Chelsea's 1954-1955 championship team

Success finally came in 1950 when they won their first ever FA Cup, and it was in that context that former Arsenal star Ted Drake became manager of the club two years later. Completely revamping the club, including improving the youth setups and signing lots of unknown players from the lower and amateur leagues, Chelsea would win the first division in 1954-1955, in time to participate in the first edition of the euopean cup. Being drawn agaisnt swedish champions Djugardens, Chelsea made short work of them before facing Hibernian in the quarter-finals, where they would sadly bow out 3-1 on aggregate.

Chelsea continued being competitive for the rest of the 50s, but they couldn't break the stronghold that matt Busby's manchester united had on the english game. In the 60s, Tommy Docherty was hired, and he built a really good side around the youth graduates that Drake built through his investments in the academy. In 1964-1965, they were on course for a domestic treble, winning the league cup, but faltering at the last hurdle to liverpool in the FA Cup and newly-promoted Leeds United in the league. The compensation prize would be avenging their FA Cup loss to liverpool in the 1966 cup winners cup final to win their first ever european trophy.

chelsea-squad-1966.jpg
chelsea at a 1965-1966 cup winners cup game agaisnt 1860 munich

The following two decades would be one of turmoil and instability for the blues. An expensive redevelopment plan of Stamford Bridge gave a massive hit to the club's finances, forcing them to sell their players and threatening for bankruptcy. That's where Ken Bates bought the club for the symbolic sum of $1, and would fight against the property developers that owned stamford bridge to keep chelsea at their home.

On the pitch, however, manager john neal formed a really good squad with little means, and Chelsea would win the second division title in 1984 and establish themselves as a first division team, with tbe most motable moment of chelsea's 1980s being David Speedie's last day goal which cost Liverpool the 1986 league title to West Ham. They suffered relegation in 1987-1988, but they immediately got back up by winning the second division the year after.

71TcpuwXpEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

After a long-running legal battle, Ken Bates finally managed to have the club own Stamford Bridge once again in 1992, and two years later, Chelsea, led by midfielder and captain dennis wise, would reach the FA Cup final, beating Oldham Athletic for their first major title since 1966. In the ensuing season, Chelsea would reach the cup winners cup semi-finals, losing to eventual winners Real Zaragosa on penalties.

In the mid-90s, Chelsea fan and businessman Matthew Harding, who became the club's director and invested a significant sum of money into thr club, engaged in a bitter civil war with Ken Bates over control of the club. Meanwhile, on the pitch, Chelsea attracted many eyeballs as they brought Ruud Gullit back to England as player-manager after his successful stint with Sampdoria in Italy. Taking advantage of the newly expanded 5 foreign starters rule, Gullit, along with his successors, George Graham and David O'Leary, brought in foreigners the likes of Dan Petrescu, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ed de Goey, Gus Poyet and Tore Andre Flo alongside the club's homegrown talents like captain Wise, Craig Burley, Ian Pearce, Frank Sinclair, Michael Dubbery and Eddie Newton.

skysports-jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink_4533603.jpg
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Chelsea's deadly marksman of the 90s and early 00s

This promising chelsea side, under the defensive coach George Graham following Gullit's sacking, would start relatively well, snatching the 5th place from Aston Villa in 1996-1997 to head to the UEFA cup, but losing to leicester city on penalties in the FA cup 5th round after Erland Johnsen was penalised for diving in the Leicester City box.

1997-1998 would see Chelsea go one step further, finishing 3rd behind Man Utd and Arsenal and reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup, losing to Sven Goran-Erkisson's Lazio. The club would also head to the 1997-1998 League cup final, where they would be bested by Alex Ferguson's Leeds United. During the ensuing offseason, the civil war for ownership of Chelsea ended with Matthew Harding successfully outing Ken Bates and assuming full ownership of his boyhood club. George Graham would also be dismissed and replaced by his assistant, Arsenal legend David O'Leary, who used a more balanced approach compared to Graham's conservative defense-first tactics.

Under the irishman, 1998-1999 would see Chelsea lose in the round of 16 in the UEFA Cup to Celta Vigo, but in the league, they would become the surprise darkhorse to the title, taking the fight to Man Utd and Arsenal. Chelsea was top of the table at boxing day, and only suffered their secod league loss to Arsenal at highbury in february, which still kept them in second place, justa point off arsenal. Three tightly contested wins agaisnt Middlesbrough, Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday in april proved to be the tipping point, as Chelsea ended up with an incredibly close 81 points over Man Utd's 79 points to win their first top division title in 44 years!

The following decade, due to the increasing gap between them and the big 5 of Man Utd, Arsenal, West Ham, Leeds and Liverpool, would see Chelsea become a perennial fixture in the first division's mid-table purgatory in the 2000s and the early parts of the 2010s, with occasional surprise top 6 finishes in odd years. Despite the lack of success, there were many notable players, such as goalkeepers Carlo Cudicini and Rob Green, defenders Michael Duberry, Ian Pearce, Mario Melchiot and Celestine Babayaro, midfielders Scott Parker, Boudewijn Zenden, Matthew Etherington, Yossi Benayoun and John Obi Mikel and forwards Marlon Harewood, Eidur Gudjohnssen and Carlton Cole. Notable managers in that time included Claudio Ranieri, Alan Pardew and former player Mark Hughes.

However, signs of a more positive future came around in the youth squads. The Chelsea youth teams would become dominant in both england and europe in the 2010s, and many of those youngsters, including the brothers Nathaniel and Trevoh Chalobah, Ruben Loftus-Cheeks, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Mason Mount, Lewis Baker, Canadian Fiyako Tomori, Reece James and Tammy Abraham, would all break through the first team as the decade closed.

rB8CLF5CfiOAMgJ6AAKvc_j4MIE844.jpg.webp

The young and tenacious Chelsea generation

Under Paul Clement, Chelsea started assembling the puzzle together, with veteran Ryan Bertrand and goalkeepers Marcus Bettinelli and Édouard Mendy joining veterans like Marcos Alonso, Olivier Giroud and Victor Moses in surrounding the young talents. The arrival of this new generation of Chelsea players into the limelight came in the 2020 FA Cup tournament, where the young blues amanged to stun the dominant Liverpool 2-0 in the 5th round, followed by a tough 1-0 win against Leicester City and a memorable 3-0 thrashing of Manchester United before facing another exciting youthful team in their dreaded and much more successful london rivals Arsenal. In a great match that showcased the future of english football, Tammy Abraham and Hudson-Odoi scored for Chelsea as the blues won 2-1 and gained their first major title since the 1998-1999 first division title.

With former Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe as manager, Chelsea finished two consecutive seasons on the podium, including a runner-up finish behind Liverpool in 2021-2022, along with finishing runner up in the 2020-2021 cup winners cup to Karim Benzema's Lyon. In that same year, the young blues pulled off a massive exploit by defeating said Liverpool squad on penalties in the FA Cup. While they would finish in 8th place, just outside the european places, they still managed to book themselevs their first ticket to the champions league since 1999-2000 by winning the 2023 cup winners cup, defeating FC Nantes in the final.

And now, with their golden generation now all entering their prime as well as bringing in some much needed depth off the bench in the transfer window, along with the decline of both Liverpool and Tottenham, Chelsea have now become among the favorites to win the 2023-2024 top division.

lampard_banner_stamford_bridge.jpg
Nice to see Chelsea enjoying organic success. I'm assuming the mid-table purgatory was partially down to the new West Stand causing the necessity to do things on the cheap.

Wouldn't 98-99 have been ahead of Leeds though?

Last edited:
Nice to see Chelsea enjoying organic success. I'm assuming the mid-table purgatory was partially down to the new West Stand causing the necessity to do things on the cheap.

Wouldn't 98-99 have been ahead of Leeds though?
In my world, they basically switched places and standing with West Ham...though again, West Ham's success in moder times in my world is due to the academy of football churning out a golden generation and stuff, not because of blood money

Southampton
800px-FC_Southampton.svg.png

Name: Southampton Football Club
City: Southampton
Nicknames: the Saints
Home ground: St. Mary's Stadium
Attendance: 32,384
League: Football League First Division

HONORS

Domestic

First Division
: 1983-1984, 1994-1995, 2014-2015

FA Cup: 1897-1898, 1901-1902, 2017-2018

League Cup: 2016-2017

EUROPEAN

Champions League
: best finish quarters finals (2015-2016)

UEFA Cup: best finish semi-finals 2016-2017

Cup winners cup: 2017-2018

Southampton Football Club were originally founded at St. Mary's Church, on 21 November 1885 by members of the St. Mary's Church of England Young Men's Association. The club was originally known as St. Mary's Young Men's Association F.C. (usually abbreviated to "St. Mary's Y.M.A.") and then became simply St. Mary's F.C. in 1887–88, before adopting the name Southampton St. Mary's when the club joined the Southern League in 1894.

For the start of their League career, Saints signed several new players on professional contracts, including Charles Baker, Alf Littlehales and Lachie Thomson from Stoke and Fred Hollands from Millwall. After winning the Southern League title in 1896–97, the club became a limited company and was renamed Southampton FC.

Southampton won the Southern League championship for three years running between 1897 and 1899 and again in 1901, 1903 and 1904. During this time, they moved to a newly built £10,000 stadium called The Dell, to the northwest of the city centre in 1898, in time for the club to win its first major honor, the 1898 FA Cup. Although they would spend the next 103 years there, the future was far from certain in those early days and the club had to rent the premises first before they could afford to buy the stadium in the early part of the 20th century.

saints.jpg
An early photo of Southampton

Although they would lose the 1900 fa cup final to Bury, Southampton would bounce back by qinning a tight final agaisnt Sheffield united in 1902 for their second and last FA Cup win. Reaching those finals gave Southampton recognition, even internationally: in 1909, an Athletic Bilbao representative who played for affiliated team Atlético Madrid purchased 50 Saints shirts during a trip to England, which were shared between the two squads. This early Southampton connection is the reason why the colours of both Spanish clubs became red and white, as they are nowadays.

after world war 1, Southampton were admitted into the football league in 1920, which started 31-year stay in the second division, which was highlighted by spirited semi-final runs in the FA Cup and a unique even season in 1922-1923: 14 wins, 14 draws and 14 losses. In the 1948–49 and 1949–50 seasons, Charlie Wayman scored 56 goals, but relegation in 1953 sent Southampton sliding back into Division 3 (South).

It took until 1960 for Southampton to regain Second Division status with Derek Reeves plundering 39 of the champions' 106 league goals. On 27 April 1963, a crowd of 68,000 at Villa Park saw them lose 1–0 to Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final.

manchester-united-v-southampton-fa-cup-semi-final-match-at-villa-park-EPFJ69.jpg
Southampton fans at the FA Cup

In 1966, Ted Bates' team were promoted to the First Division as runners-up, with Martin Chivers scoring 30 of Saints' 85 league goals.

For the following campaign Ron Davies arrived to score 43 goals in his first season. Saints stayed among the elite for eight years, with the highest finishing position being seventh place in 1968–69 and again in 1970–71. These finishes were high enough for them to qualify for the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1969–70 (going out in Round 3 to Newcastle United) and its successor, the UEFA Cup in 1971–72, when they went out in the first round to Athletic Bilbao.

In December 1973, Bates stood down to be replaced by his assistant Lawrie McMenemy. The Saints were one of the first victims of the new three-down relegation system in 1974.

images

Under McMenemy's management, Saints started to rebuild in the Second Division, capturing players such as Peter Osgood, Jim McCalliog, Jim Steele and Peter Rodrigues (captain) and in 1976, Southampton reached the FA Cup semi- Final, losing to Don Revie's Leeds United, which led to the latter winning the FA Cup that year in a very memorable lancaster derby win agaisnt Man Utd.

In 1977–78, captained by Alan Ball, Saints finished runners-up in the Second Division (behind Bolton Wanderers) and returned to the First Division. They finished comfortably in 14th place in their first season back in the top flight. The following season they returned to Wembley in the final of the League Cup where they acquitted themselves well, losing 3–2 to Nottingham Forest.

Southhamton1982_1983.jpg
The Southampton championship team of the 80s

At the start of the 80s, Saints fielded an attractive side also containing Alan Ball, prolific goal-scorer Ted MacDougall, (who still holds the record for the largest number of goals in an FA Cup game – nine – for Bournemouth against Margate in an 11–0 win), MacDougall's strike partner at Bournemouth and Norwich City, Phil Boyer, club stalwart Mick Channon and Charlie George. Southampton continued to progress under McMenemy's stewardship, and with a team containing Peter Shilton (the England goalkeeper), Nick Holmes, David Armstrong, striker Steve Moran and quick winger Danny Wallace, Southampton would reach the pinnacle of the english game when they won a 5-horse race to the top division title in 1983-1984, beating the mighty liverpools, nottinghams and a ressurgent Manchester United alongside fellow darkhorses QPR.

Southampton would end up in fifth in the following season, but their euroepan cup journey would be cut short in the second round by eventual finalists Benfkca of Sven-Goran Eriksson. McMenemy left after this season, to be replaced by Chris Nicholl, who would see, under his wing, the arrival of two exciting prospects from.the youth academy: Matthew Le Tissier and goal machine Alan Shearer.

E_fvt3ZXEAAzOMv.jpg
A new hope

The duo attracted the attention of all of england, especially the bigger clubs. Shearer, especially, was attracting the attention of Sir Bobby Robson's Manchester United. However, sensing that, with Shearer and Le Tissier, as well as midfielder Neil Maddison and goalkeeper Tim Flowers, they held the key to go back to the top of English Football like they did in the early 80s, Southampton refused any and all negotiations, and they proceeded to make a huge splash by hiring outgoing, all-conquering Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish.

dc407ff00c55c68a8c658bbc22271c2eY29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjc5NDExMTU2-2.67021210.jpg
King of the north and the south?

From then on, the following years would see Southampton building a side that would compete for the title. Selling galloping goalscorer Rod Wallace for $1.6 million, Dalglish used that money to sign Shearer and Le Tissier to long-term contract extensions. Both Shearer and Le Tissier scored goals for fun, finishing in the top ten.

In 1992, Dalglish used the momey from sales to sign swedish center back Patrik Andersson for $800,000 and, in january 1993, Norwegian defender Henning Berg for $400,000 and out of favour Chelsea left back Graeme Le Saux for $700,000. In the subsequent season, Southampton finsihed in 4th place for the first time ever since the 80s, entering the UEFA Cup for 1993-1994.

In the 1993 summer transfer window, Dalglish managed to sell Center back Neil Ruddock to his former club Liverpool for an excellent $2.5 million deal, giving Southampton some much needed money to build a contender. Moving swiftly, he used that money to sign the blonde winger from Middlesbrough Stuart Ripley for $1.3 million and reigning champions Norwich City's midfield general Tim Sherwood for $750,000 to partner Neil Maddison in the midfield. Henning berg successfully transitioned to center back alongside Patrik Andersson, leading to irishman Jeff Kenna taking over the right back spot.

The 1993-1994 season saw Shearer and Le Tissier explode together, with Shearer scoring 31 goals and le tissier 25 as Southampton emerged as title contenders, leading the table until late winter 1994, where a series of draws and losses led to Manchester United taking over and winning their first league title since the 60s. Meanwhile, in the UEFA Cup, Southampton would beat Vitesse and the aging werder bremen in the first two rounds before their lack of experience cost them their round of 16 tie to Roberto Baggio and Gabriel Batistuta's Fiorentina.

NINTCHDBPICT000452728427-e1544821549332.jpg
Shearer in action

1994-1995 would see Southampton only get minor reinforcements, with Dalglish's old teammate Bruce Grobelaar coming in as the new backup keeper to tim flowers and australian Robbie Slater from French side Lens completing the midfield, and dutchman Richard Witschge coming in on loan from Bordeaux to provide depth. after a hectic first few months of the season, where nottingham, Liverpool and Leeds took tunrs in leading the first division, Southampton, on the back of Alan Shearer's 31 goals and Matt Le Tissier's 19, would take the lead before christmas and simply run away with it, fending off challenges from Alex Ferguson's Aston Villa and their striker duo of Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke, as well as a man utd that was starting to phase out their veterans and intergrating the class of 92, to win their second ever league title in epic fashion, losing on the final day 2-1 to Liverpool, but Villa drawing 1-1 at West Ham to concede the title to the saints.

The disappointing early exit to swedish club Trelleborg in the UEFA cup and their subsequent exit from the cup competitions didn't matter for Soton players and faithfuls, and Kenny Dalglish would be named manager of the year and Shearer named player of the year.

The 1995 off-season would be one of a massive shakeup for Southampton, for Alan Shearer left for his boyhood club Newcastle united, shattering the world transfer record in a $15 million deal. Not only that, but Kenny Dalglish would announce his first retirement from managing.

While Southampton wouldn't regain the heights of 1994-1995 for the rest of the 90s and the 00s, the huge amount of money received from Shearer's departure was invested into the club's infrastructure, building a new stadium, the St. Mary's stadium, in 2001 and building world class facilities, especially the youth setup, which will pay off big time in the long run.

As the 2000s came around, former West Ham boss Harry Redknapp, who was credited with bringing up the hammers's legendary golden generation, became southampton manager in order to do the same thing. The soton academy was producing young talents with kots of potential, such as Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana and a young welshman who would become one fo the club's brightest icons: Gareth Bale.

1_GettyImages-73135554.jpg

Gareth Bale
Redknapp's young squad would evelop and prigress through the seasons, with walcott, Lallana and Bale becoming indispensable members of the squad and acquisitions like Rickie Lambert, Artur Boruc and morgan schneiderlin helping the club stay in the first division, with Bale shining brightly in big games agains the big clubs as Southampton would qualify for the UEFA cup in 2011-2012.

In 2012, Argentine manager Mauricio Pocchetino came in as manager, coinciding with the arrival of youth products nathaniel clyne, luke shaw and James Ward-Prowse as well as japanese center back Maya Yoshida and english keeper Fraser Forster. Southampton would confirm their potential, finishing in 3rd behind West Ham United and Manchester City, with Gareth Bale turning into one of the best players in the world, singlehandedly getting Soton past Inter Milan in the UEFA Cup round of 16 with a stunning hat trick, although the young side's inexperience would cost them agaisnt Bayern Munich in the quarters.

2013-2014 would start with the arrival of two players who would become key to Southampton: Victor Wanyama from Celtic and Dutch defender Virgil Van Dijk from Groningen, who would significantly improve the club's defensive output. Combined with Pocchetino fine tuning his tactics and the youngsters gaining more assurance and Bale being bis usual exceptional self, Sputhampton would be part in the insane 5-horse title race of the 2013-2014 season that aslo featured Man City, Aston Villa, Everton and Liverpool. And Southampton would finish in 3rd once again, behind City and Villa.

151128-019-Man_City_Southampton-e1488981549501.jpg
Virgil Van Dijk

The 2014 off-season sees the final piece of the defensive puzzle being assembled, as Soton signed belgian defender Toby Alderweireld from Ajax as a free agent, while irishman Shane Long was signed as the new striker to replace Lambert.

Poch's Southampton woulld tear up the league, with the double pivot of Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Ward-Prowse in the middle controlling the pace of play, Van Djik and Alderweireld becomign the best center bakc pariing in england and Shaw and Clyne running down the wing alongside the Ox and Bale, who once again had a 25-goal season, with Adam Lallana ending up as top assistant in england. For the first time in exactly 20 years, Southampton are champions of England.

6b8a404400e8d79ffe2c97cfb25541e4

the ensuing off-season would see Pocchetino depart for Tottenham, bringing Wanyama and Alderweireld with him, along with Schneiderlin leaving for Saint-Etienne. Soton continued their momentum in the 2015-2016 season, with new skipper Ronald Koeman, who won the 2013-2014 dutch title with Feyenoord, taking over, bringing Barcelona midfielder Oriol Romeu and promoting Ward-Prowse as the new starters in midfield, while Maya Yoshida elevated his game to become van dijk's new partner in defense. The champions league would see them losing to eventual semi-finalists PSV Eindhoven in the quarter-finals, while in the league, they, along with the rest of england, were stunned by the cinderella Leicester City squad. The ensuing season, 2016-2017, would see Soton lose out on another tilltle to their former manager Pochettino's Tottenham and losing in the UEFA Cup semi-finals to Ajax, but they would win the 2017 league cup, which would send them totheir first ever european title, the 2017-2018 cup winners cup, where Gareth Bale scored an amazing overhead goal to win it for Soton against Paris, while in the league, they would finish 3rd behind liverpool and champions Tottenham and in thr FA Cup, they would finally, after more than a century, win their third title by defeating Tottenham in the final.

the departure of Virgil Van Dijk to Liverpool in the ensuing off-season, becoming the most expensive defender in history in the process, would prove to be the beginning of the end for Southampton's glory days, and Ronald Koeman leaving for his former club Barcelona in 2020 and Gareth Bale's retirement and subsequent switch to Golf leads Southampton down to mid-table, with the future looking a bit unclear at the moment...

images

Last edited:
Chelsea's "Big four" part 4
Chelsea's "Big Four" part 4: The Special One returns, 2013/14

The much-heralded return to Chelsea of Jose Mourinho saw little change at Stamford Bridge. Mourinho saw no reason to tinker with a winning formula and instead opted to provide cover, bringing in wingers Andre Schurrle and Willian as well as veteran striker Samuel Eto'o for squad depth. Elsewhere, Tottenham saw a massive hole blown in their plans as Gareth Bale went to Real Madrid.

The season started slowly, as Chelsea hit three goals in a 12-minute blitz against Hull City before drawing 0-0 at Old Trafford and losing 1-0 at Goodison Park. But then Aguero sprang into life, scoring twice in a 4-0 home win against Fulham. A creditable 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane followed (meanwhile, Fernando Torres was sent off as Manchester City lost 3-2 at Villa Park). Chelsea's flair would show in October, as, having fallen behind to Cardiff City, the Blues would respond 6 times as Aguero scored a hat-trick, before being gifted a last-minute winner against Manchester City after a rare Fernando Torres goal looked to have secured a point. In late November, a brace at Upton Park helped Chelsea to a 5-0 win, before scoring in a couple of defensive lapses in a crazy 5-3 win at Sunderland and a 3-3 draw at Stoke. In Europe, Aguero's goals in two games against Basel ensured that Chelsea would top the group unbeaten, while Tottenham finished second behind Bayern Munich, Arsenal squeezed through on head-to-head, and Manchester City blitzed their Europa League group on maximum points. Whilst Aguero would be injured over Christmas, Chelsea would show their steel, grinding out a goalless draw away to leaders Arsenal and narrow wins at home to Swansea City and Liverpool, ensuring that the Blues sat a point behind Arsenal in second, with Liverpool, Manchester City and Everton five points behind, while Manchester United were struggling for consistency under David Moyes and Tottenham had fallen away after a bright start.

1. Arsenal 46pts
2. Chelsea 45pts
3. Everton 37pts
4. Man City 36pts
5. Liverpool 36pts
6. Man Utd 34pts
7. Tottenham 34pts
8. Newcastle 33pts

Aguero would return on 19th January 2014 and immediately make an impact, replacing hat-trick hero Samuel Eto'o and scoring in a 4-1 win over a beleaguered Manchester United before grabbing the only goal of the game against an extremely defensive West Ham side which saw Chelsea leapfrog Arsenal into top spot. Meanwhile, Aguero's hat-trick against Stoke City in the FA Cup saw Chelsea progress with relative ease while Manchester City crashed out against Watford. The Blues would reach the semi finals only for Arsenal to vanquish them on penalties, while they would come up short against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League semi finals. However, just when it looked like Chelsea would push on and win the title, the Blues contrived to lose 1-0 at Aston Villa and Crystal Palace either side of putting a combined nine unanswered goals past both North London sides. Liverpool knew, going into the last few weeks of the season, that if they won their last four matches of the season, they'd be Champions. But then once again Aguero popped up, hitting a hat-trick against Sunderland before Steven Gerrard's cry of "This does not fucking slip now!" after the Manchester City game came back to haunt him - he slipped just before half time, Aguero picked up the ball, and scored both goals as Chelsea won 2-0. A week later, Sergio Aguero scored the only goal against Norwich City, before "Crystanbul" killed Liverpool's title hopes.

1. Chelsea 88pts
2. Liverpool 86pts
3. Man City 82pts
4. Arsenal 79pts
5. Everton 70pts
6. Tottenham 69pts
7. Man Utd 67pts
8. Southampton 58pts

That summer, a third member of the "Big Four" would break into the Chelsea first team, having been on loan at Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg. Elsewhere, Tottenham’s failure to retain their Champions League place spelled the end for Andre Villas-Boas, as he was sacked and replaced by Southampton’s Mauricio Pochettino. Also sacked, in April, was David Moyes, who had proven out of his depth at Old Trafford, being replaced first by Ryan Giggs then veteran manager Louis Van Gaal.