AHC: Republicans pass *Obamacare

Nixon's the one.

After Reagan, it's really not happening unless you get Hillary in '08 and a future Republican does it. People point out that Obamacare is similar to the Republican plan of the 1990s, but that plan wasn't ever planned to go in action (after Clinton's plan failed, Republicans declined to pass their own plan). Back then, the Republicans still offered occasional alternate plans to oppose the Democrat in office (whereas today opposition is their only program).

Romneycare ;)

I agree actually. A President Romney in 2008 is the only way to get a health care program under a Republican in the modern era - although he'd probably go through almost exactly what Obama did.

I'm not saying it's likely or easy, but compared to say, McCaincare? Bushcare? Cheneycare? Reagancare?

I agree actually. A President Romney in 2008 is the only way to get a health care program under a Republican in the modern era - although he'd probably go through almost exactly what Obama did.

I'm not saying it's likely or easy, but compared to say, McCaincare? Bushcare? Cheneycare? Reagancare?

BushCare could be Romney care. He was open to suggestions and was a 'compasionate conservative'. It'd be a better use of his second term then the Paul Ryan route he went...

Garrison

Donor
Well obviously the first step is to install the refrigeration equipment in Hell and then after it freezes over...

No, because the Romney couldnt possibly win a Republican primary, so he had to disavow everything he stood for as governor of MA and become a different person.
Considering Jimmy Carter, the man of Human Rights, was elected based on an incredibly racist campaign, and proceeded to give a nice middle finger to all of these folks in his inaguration speech, I think Romney passing a health care bill as president is plausible.

Considering Jimmy Carter, the man of Human Rights, was elected based on an incredibly racist campaign, and proceeded to give a nice middle finger to all of these folks in his inaguration speech, I think Romney passing a health care bill as president is plausible.

If Romney manages to overcome the GOP's heir apparent system, let alone win (pretty hard for a Republican in '08; I known McCain [of the only-in-this-thread McCaincare, which incidentally, is fun to say] ran a horrible campaign and Romye was ten times better, but still, Bush and all) I doubt that the Republicans will overcome the Democrat senate.

No, because the Romney couldnt possibly win a Republican primary, so he had to disavow everything he stood for as governor of MA and become a different person.

I agree that after Reagan, or maybe Bush I, its too late.

What about a Gore victory in 2000 and 2004, with 2004 being a hardline social conservative (maybe Huckabee)? The Republicans might have shifted enough to the left that someone like Romney could take the nomination with the support of the business establishment.

I can see the more liberal/leftist members of Congress jumping all over him when he includes that part that says it's the law that you have to buy insurance. They'd be crying about how Romney is just feeding the greedy insurance giants and all that. There's so many little things about the so-called affordable care act that liberal-minded people would be in an uproar over if a Republican tried to push it through Congress.

I can see the more liberal/leftist members of Congress jumping all over him when he includes that part that says it's the law that you have to buy insurance. They'd be crying about how Romney is just feeding the greedy insurance giants and all that. There's so many little things about the so-called affordable care act that liberal-minded people would be in an uproar over if a Republican tried to push it through Congress.

True, but I still think he could get some Democrats on his side on the issue - more than Obama had Republicans on his.

Nixon's proposal was FAR more radical than Obama's (Employer Mandate! :eek:). Only reason it didn't happen was because Teddy Kennedy wanted Single Payer and refused to compromise. D'oh.

Once you get past that, all you're getting from Republican Presidents is piddly "market based reforms" that will let you save a few bucks buying across state lines and tort reform.

If President Romney is stupid/suicidal enough to try sweeping Romneycare reform its dead within 2 months without even smelling a Senate Finance Committee vote. Republicans would give it tepid support at best, and that's assuming the Rush/Fox/Drudge echo chamber doesn't unleash The Wrath of Allah upon it. Democrats? Ha. The debates on Left-Wing blogs about the Public Option were shall we say, Stalingrad-esque. Romney could offer these people Obamacare w/ a Medicare Buy-In & Subsidized Medicinal Marijuana......they'd respond by giving him the finger shortly before kicking him in the nads. I survived DailyKos, trust me on this lol.

Last edited: