AH Question - multiple Hungarian states

In a question totally unrelated to a project that I am totally not currently working on *cough*, I wanted the board's opinion on whether having multiple ethnic-Hungarian states would be possible.

One option I had considered was a catholic west Hungarian state, and an orthodox east Hungarian state.

In the event of such a split, or other options, might the Slovaks be able to maintain their independence?

Another option I thought of was similar to Bulgaria and Volga Bulgaria, in that there is a Europeanised Hungarian state in the Pannonian Basin, and a Magyar remnant state further east.

Other options, and constructive criticism, are very much welcome.

A really wild idea would be to have the Magyarabs in Egypt retain more of their cultural distinctiveness, and somehow form their own Hungarian nation state at the Nile.

Does anyone have any opinions on a surviving Etelköz in southeastern Ukraine and Moldavia, or Levédia in southern Ukraine, that exists alongside the regular Hungary?

I have been digging into the history of the Hungarians a bit, and it turns out that
Magna Hungaria is their equivalent to Volga Bulgaria. A 13th century Dominican called Friar Julian had journeyed to modern day Russia in search of it.

I think the option with the least amount of butterflies is independant Szekler-land.

I'm not particularly bothered by how many butterflies this involves. I just wanted to know how feasible it would be.

The, um, project that I am totally not currently working on, is an ASB-fantasy-AH anyway.

There was the expedition of friar Julian in 1235. He went east to the steppe to search for those magyars who remained there when the others came west. He found them near Volga Bulgaria. Their language was supposedly still mutually intelligible. He returned there 2 years later but found that the mongols have destroyed these eastern hungarians - he was the first to bring news of the mongolian danger to the Kingdom of Hungary.

So let these eastern hungarians survive destruction by the mongols - actually you can have them wander on the steppes wherever you want - and have them form their own state there.

I had come across a map where the Hungarian/Bulgarians had found themselves south of the Arabian Peninsula towards Oman. However, the author of the map did not explain how they got there.

Transylvania was its own principality at some point. If it ends up under the control of one country while another gets Hungary proper, this might fit the bill.

Or some invading country might grab part of Hungary and set up its own puppet government there. Maybe a Russian invasion which ends with Russia reaching the Danube but unable to move any farther.

The Edict of Torda becomes a long term success; while Hungary undergoes the Counterreformation, Transsylvania increasingly becomes home to those who do not fit that status quo. Ottoman suzereinity prevents Austria from seizing Transsylvania in the short term, later on you could have the Ottomans recede more slowly or even have Transsylvania become a Russian vassal. By the time Austria can conquer Transsylvania, the Transsylvanians do not identify with Hungary any longer and at some point become independent.

Basically the situation between the Dutch and Belgians transposed on the Hungarians and Transsylvanians.

Last edited:
In a question totally unrelated to a project that I am totally not currently working on *cough*, I wanted the board's opinion on whether having multiple ethnic-Hungarian states would be possible.

One option I had considered was a catholic west Hungarian state, and an orthodox east Hungarian state.

In the event of such a split, or other options, might the Slovaks be able to maintain their independence?

Another option I thought of was similar to Bulgaria and Volga Bulgaria, in that there is a Europeanised Hungarian state in the Pannonian Basin, and a Magyar remnant state further east.

Other options, and constructive criticism, are very much welcome.

Do it have to be Magyar states or could it be "Hungarian" states. Because if it's the latter, you could have a Lutheran and Slovak speaking Upper Hungary, a mixed Hungarian (Reformed), Romanian (Orthodox) and German (Lutheran) Transsylvania and a mixed Christian/Muslim Lower Hungary, if the the Habsburg lose at the second siege of Vienna.

Do it have to be Magyar states or could it be "Hungarian" states. Because if it's the latter, you could have a Lutheran and Slovak speaking Upper Hungary, a mixed Hungarian (Reformed), Romanian (Orthodox) and German (Lutheran) Transsylvania and a mixed Christian/Muslim Lower Hungary, if the the Habsburg lose at the second siege of Vienna.

Magyar states, for preference.