AH Challenge: The Empire State

New York's affectation as the Empire State has always been of some amusement to me. So, make it happen. Give New York some overseas colonies with a POD after 1800 while still being a US state.

TheLoneAmigo said:
New York's affectation as the Empire State has always been of some amusement to me. So, make it happen. Give New York some overseas colonies with a POD after 1800 while still being a US state.
"Empire State" refers to contiguous empire, I think.

One could argue New York does have a empire. The United States has a colonial empire in its entire nation (except maybe the 13 colonies if you count those as the core) and New York is certainly where all American power lies especially discounting the west coast.

Leej said:
One could argue New York does have a empire. The United States has a colonial empire in its entire nation (except maybe the 13 colonies if you count those as the core) and New York is certainly where all American power lies especially discounting the west coast.
Technically, the Union is not an empire, as the only areas held in common are D.C. and the numerous island possessions.

Wendell said:
Technically, the Union is not an empire, as the only areas held in common are D.C. and the numerous island possessions.
Technically most nations weren't empires- Britain was only a empire in India, France not at all (well...when it was a republic).
The meaning of the word morthed in more modern times though to just mean something like having control of land that isn't the natural habitat of your people (within reason of course - go far enough back and the Germans weren't in Germany and all that)

Seems like the only way this would work is if it's done by individuals. I don't know how the New York State Constitution would be amended to have the State obtain properties around the world.

http://www.raken.com/american_wealth/OTHER/newsletter/chronicle280202.asp

Representatives of the Fords, Rockefellers, Carnegies, Astors, Hearsts and other extremely wealthy families get together in New York City and decide to pool their resources and create an elite meritocracy of the wealthy. They mean well. Riches ==> good education ==> good governance ==> more wealth for everybody ==> good society, etc.

They start buying up individual islands in the Caribbean, South Pacific. They buy large tracts of land in S. Africa and the Mideast. When the Spanish-American War comes and goes they take the opportunity to obtain control of large tracts of land in Cuba and the Philippines.

The Ford University of Technology is established in Havana. The campus covers several square miles. Representatives encourage Castro to join a baseball team and Cuba does not go Communist.

The Rockefeller Anthropological Institute is established in Johannesburg and
Apartheid is less severe in the following decades.

The Astor University is in Beirut; The Astor College of Near Eastern Studies is in Jerusalem. As a result, US influence in the Mideast is more evenhanded?

The Hearst Journalism School is in Manila. Marcos and Aquino become journalists instead of politicians.

The Cornelius Vanderbilt University of Technology is in Lagos, and the president of the university ends up controlling Nigeria since nobody else can or will.

The Cornelius Vanderbilt University of Science, Technology and Anthropology is in Liberia, and the president of the university also ends up controlling Liberia.

The campuses of these universities cover dozens of square miles.

Maybe, under the influence of these wealthy families, state-funded universities and colleges have gigantic campuses in Havana, Nairobi, and so on, covering hundreds of square miles.

New York might also do something with US Territories and Possessions like American Samoa and the Virgin Islands.

Thomas Edison starts a movie studio in the Virgin Islands.

Hugh Hefner starts his Playboy Mansion in the Virgin Islands, which I mention just because of what people think of when they see the word "virgin"..:D

That's the closest I can come to meeting the terms of this challenge.

Perhaps the Articles of Confederation are kept (albiet amended slightly) so that the United States of America develops more along the lines of loose federation than a federal republic. The country never expands, and New York eclipses Virginia as the most powerful state and slowly enacts subtle control over the rest of the states, and by 1900 the USA is mostly run from New York- unofficially. It could own parts of Africa, some Carribean islands, et cetera. Sound plausible? It's not very fleshed out, I know.