A very different 1540: Anne of Cleves takes charge

#12 Elizabeth's first impressions
Elizabeth didn’t like the Saxon boys who had joined the court. While the Elector and his wife were nice enough, their sons were pompous and rude. For one thing, they refused to be given nicknames. When Elizabeth had asked John Wilhelm if she could call him Will or Johnwill, he had dismissed her with a snooty “do not refer to me at all” before running off to play at war games with his brother. But if the younger boy was annoying (and apparently a surprise arrival), John Frederick was significantly worse.

Flaxen haired with a heavy mouth, Elizabeth had initially thought him quite handsome. It was nice to know that one of the boys her father considered for her was actually in her presence. But within hours of meeting, he had soured the mood.

It wasn’t just that he was snobbish. Elizabeth knew her…situation, if you wanted to call it that, was complicated. But she was his new cousin, and she had expected some level of decency, and maybe even affection. Instead, he took one look at her, one at Mary, and then didn’t look at them again. Not a glance. Didn’t respond when she asked him questions. Ate beside her silently, staring out at a court that clearly wanted some indication of warmth between them.

He'd been even worse to Mary, although Elizabeth didn’t quite understand how. The Bavarian Duke had arrived later than the rest of the party, having stayed behind to secure a gift for her sister. Elizabeth had seen the gleam of rubies and pearls only briefly, but knew it was a costly set of jewels. But shortly after they’d been handed to her, the little princeling had come to pull him away, and whispered something that had made her sister angry. Nobody was quite sure what – Mary had made it clear it wasn’t to be repeated – but it was something harsh enough that she had completely shut down.

That had been two days ago.

Maggie Douglas had been tasked with entertaining her while Mary shut herself in her rooms and the Queen finished preparations for her lying in. Elizabeth didn’t find her very fun. While Mary loved their cousins dearly, the younger Tudor girl found Maggie a little scary. It was nice to be in her orbit when times were good, but after whatever had happened with Charlie Howard, Elizabeth remembered the screaming. The dramatics came easily to her.

Which was why the arrival of the Electress was such a welcome surprise.

She wasn’t a tall woman like the Queen was. In many ways, Elizabeth had expected the two to look similar. But while Anne had a round, happy face, Lady Sibylle looked like a fox. Her eyes in particular stood out – long, grey and always moving. Elizabeth prided herself on the ability to hold someone’s attention, but this was a woman who made her work for it. Even as she curtsied for her guest, the woman’s gaze had already strayed to Maggie’s frayed skirt hems, the pile of books by the fire that Elizabeth had spent her night pouring through for good poetry, and back to Elizabeth, who never stopped watching her. Then she smiled and pretending like she hadn’t just scoured the room.

“Ma chère fille, levez-vous, nous sommes tous une famille ici.”

Elizabeth’s French was good enough to know she was putting it on, but it was nice that somebody cared enough to do that. It helped that she was sure her accent was better than this adult woman’s. So, smiling, she said a simple “merci” and took the lady’s hand. Maggie had warned her this morning that she wasn’t to complain to anyone else about the Saxon boys, and she held her tongue when asked if she liked them.

“Comment aimez-vous mes garçons ?”

“Ils ont l'air courageux.”

“Courageux?”

She nodded. Brave was the nicest word she could come up with, after John Wilhelm had bested a boy three years his senior in a practice fight yesterday while Elizabeth had been watching. He, at least, acknowledged her presence with a glance.

Maggie, meanwhile, scurried behind them, furious her accent would mark her as a formerly terrible student, and thus she had to stay quiet.

#13 Kitty takes a walk
Kitty could only stall the wedding for so much longer. The Queen was desperately close to popping, and she just needed to be sure that pathway was closed before she settled into her role as Countess. Granted, she hadn’t had many opportunities to steal away and stoke the King’s fires. Instead, Queen Anne spent basically her entire days coming up with reasons to either keep her busy, or send her off to Lord Essex’s apartments.

Gregory Cromwell was particularly annoying about all of this. Despite everything, she didn’t want her new family to hate her. All going well, she’d be his stepmother soon. But he despised everything she was. And judging by the curt letter she’d just received from his wife, he wasn’t the only one.

Her wedding was due to happen within the next few days, so the Queen could have her as part of the lying in entourage. The Electress seemed especially keen to attend, and Kitty wondered just how much of this was to be sure their alliance wasn’t replaced in the event that everything went wrong. She’d brought new, flattering portraits of the Lady Amelia, who they were apparently helping negotiate in marriage to the Count of Enghien, who’d joined the Duke of Nevers as a Protestant-friendly French representative.

Of course, Kitty guessed their real hope was that if the King lost one Cleves Queen, he’d replace her with another. Not helped by the fact that the Elector had managed to extend his party further with his unmarried sister, Margaret of Saxony. Thankfully, the heavy German girl managed to be both boring and ugly, leaving Kitty no real foes.

Except the pretty blonde girl in their ranks.

Philippine Welser was too young for her King. People whispered she'd been sent to spy for the Hapsburgs. Kitty knew he wouldn’t look at her as more than a child and maybe a treat. But that didn’t mean he would see her that way forever. Already tall for her age, Kitty saw her and remembered how young she’d been when the men of the world decided she was a woman. Henry might not have a penchant for girls, but Kitty didn’t know when he’d consider one a woman. After all, she was barely 16 herself. Charles Brandon had already begun to eye the banker’s niece with interest.

But for now, she’d come as part of the German parade, and the Queen was already talking about adding her to the maids of the court. That came with certain protections. Kitty had already basked in the glory of being an ascendent Queen’s pet. But she had to prevent her from staying, or at least ruin her for the King. That’s when she decided to turn to Charlie.

He spent his days playing at swords and his nights dancing for the King. Her unscrupulous brother was the one who let her know what smells he liked, what songs he sang, what treats he loved. He’d also recently seduced a Princess of his own, although Lady Douglas had been a dead end for them. But with his handsome brown eyes and penchant for poetry, she just knew he’d be a sheltered German girl’s dream.

“Brother!” she practically screamed, jumping into his arms. His friends at court all knew she was his favourite sibling, despite the presence of their brother George, and the scheduled arrival of their sister Mary before the Christmas festivities began in a few months. Charlie and Kitty had a special bond. The fact that the bond was based on mutual ambition was besides the point.

“Kitty – how lovely you look in your new dress.”

She knew that was a dig. The dress was a cast off from the Queen – ordered before her baby was official and likely never to fit again. The colour was flattering enough, but she hated the style. Too German, too heavy, too conservative. But she only had so much to wear. Nevertheless, she twirled for Charlie and his band of courtier friends, including an incredibly shy little Henry Brandon, who had taken to following the men around like a puppy. Seeing an opportunity to make a friend in a child, she dropped down and pulled out a candied lemon treat, offering it to the young boy, who graced her with a chubby grin. He’d tell his father about the treat, and he might tell the King.

“I was wondering if you might take me for a walk around the gardens.”

Her brother raised his eyebrows, but Kitty was determined to keep this light. Turning away from the men, she leaned over the wall many leaned on to watch the Saxon boys hit at each other with sticks. Somebody was guiding them to better form, but she recognised where enthusiasm overtook natural talent. It broke her heart a little to see the Lady Elizabeth watching from a distance, but the Queen had decided she was too busy to play with the King’s daughter. She waved at the girl, realised she wasn’t going to be seen, and then turned back to the men eyeing her.

Even little Lord Brandon watched her, wide-eyed and now sticky with candy.

“So, Charlie, are you free to take me for a walk?”

“I am if he’s not, my lady!” squeaked one of the young boys. She didn’t recognise him, but guessed he was one of the Grey boys – John or Thomas. Nobody cared much for the grey-eyed Greys. Still, it was never nice (or practical) to burn a bridge. She smiled and giggled, before shooting Charlie a look. He’d spent the interaction trying to stifle laughter at an act he was acutely aware of.

“I’m sorry, my good man, but I wouldn’t be much of a brother to send my sister off with the likes of you.”

The boy blushed, and Kitty wondered what he had done to earn the rowdy laughter and elbowing that followed. Suddenly, she was very aware, again, that this was a secluded spot where a dozen men were watching her. Refusing to be shaken, she took her brother’s arm and waved behind her to the men they left behind.

It didn’t take long to get her to the garden.

“So, I have a favour to ask you.”

“You always do.”

“I do not! And I give as good as I take. Remember that manor just outside of York you now have. You didn’t get that for your fine work sleeping with the scullery maids.”

“You underestimate the King’s love of a good story, dear Kitty.”

She smacked him for that.

“I’m being serious, Charlie. I need you to seduce someone.”

He sighed, smiled, and picked her a flower that still blossomed from the bushes. As he stuck it behind her ear, she noticed his sneaking glance, and mouthed the word “who” to him. Throwing himself into laughter, he leaned in and kissed her cheek, before answering.

“The Lady Mary has left her cave.”

Straightening up, she kept their gait natural and easy, managing to only get a quick look at the gloomy woman in grey who seemed to be pacing the grass with no real purpose. From a distance, the German party were enjoying the sunshine. She noted that the tall blonde man was watching the King’s daughter, and she was unable to stop looking back at him.

Turning back to Charlie, she turned to him and smiled brightly.

“Start paying court to the German banker girl. She’s already getting too much attention. She’s rich, so if you can marry her, all the better. But I need you to go.”

“Go? That’s a lot of instruction for you to send me away so quickly.”

“Lady Mary hates you on behalf of Lady Douglas. If we walk over together, she’ll leave. But she has no problem with me. Please go and let me see what I can make happen here.”

He snorted, kissed her cheek, and ran back up to his friends, who had relocated close by, like a flock of seagulls chasing a meal.

Kitty, meanwhile, played it safe. Just walking up to Mary would be suspicious. But a maid of the court with a handful of flowers, wandering around looking for more, that was doable. Before Mary could notice, she reached back into the bushes and picked about half a dozen flowers very quickly, filling her arms with whites, yellows and reds. Then, she turned and began lightly skipping.

Mary barely noticed the figure walking towards her, Kitty made a point to ignore her at first, picking flowers around the area. Then she played the actress, turning around the bend and coming face to face with the pinched lip woman. Pulling out her best shocked face, she let a couple of flowers drop as she ‘scrambled’ to drop to a curtsey. While she watched stone faced, the woman before her did quickly motion her up.

“Lady Mary, I hope you’re well.” she said brightly.

She didn’t look well. Up close, the angry face was sunken and grey. Clearly whatever had set her off had been bad enough to cause some damage. Kitty had seen her tense up when the Germans had arrived, and yesterday’s French entourage had seen her be utterly unconvincing at playing happy. She pretended not to notice, and scooped up the flowers at her feet.

“I am well enough, Mistress Howard.”

“Would you like a flower?”

She offered her a particularly pretty yellow one – it matched the one in her hair. Mary waved it off.

“No, thank you. I’m just out here for some exercise.”

Kitty nodded wisely, and then smiled wide.

“Would you mind if I joined you? I often worry I don’t get enough fresh air. The Queen has not been outside in weeks – not that I mind! There’s a prince on the way.”

Mary shrugged, and Kitty knew this was the right move. Too simple to say no to, too nice to snap at. This was a woman raised with some level of manners. Friendly company was easy to accept.

“What brings you out to the gardens?”

“Flowers. The Queen keeps such lovely bouquets, I wanted one for my own bedside.”

Mary snorted, and Kitty made a point of bending down and picking another.

Live the lie.

“I hear your lover keeps you heavily in flowers.”

For a split second, she wanted to smack her for that dig. But she controlled it, and instead smiled brightly.

“Not lovers yet, my lady. I’m yet to be wed to Lord Essex.”

The two smiled politely at each other, and Kitty suddenly realised she was losing the battle. Changing tactics, she sighed towards the Germans.

“What was that?”

“What was what, ma’am?”

“That heavy sigh. The heave. What was that?”

“Oh…I’m sorry, I didn’t realise I did that. I apologise. That was an accident.”

Her eyes trailed over to the Bavarian Duke, and Kitty knew she was on the money. Closer to him, she realised the man was closer to forty than he was to youth, and that solid frame was going to fat around the gut. But Mary looked at him like a tragic heroine of folk tales.

“He’s quite handsome,” she gave a shy smile, “and quite nice. I heard he’d promised to send the Lady Elizabeth some books in Greek from his personal library.”

Mary just nodded, but Kitty knew she had a soft spot for her sister. This was an opening.

“He’s quite generous. Even before the promise, he’d given her a book of histories about the Crusades. And when he came in to see the Queen last night – before the banquet – he gave us all such beautiful gifts. Something small but beautiful for everyone. I got a lovely set of rings. What did he bring you, my lady?”

Mary unknowingly fingered the pendant at her neck, before abruptly stopping.

“What do you want, Mistress Howard?”

Apparently, Kitty wasn’t as subtle as she assumed.

“I was just asking a question, ma’am. I apologise if I overstepped. I just wanted to cheer you up.”

It was a half-truth. But Kitty knew it wasn’t enough.

“Why would you think you had the right to come and bother me with your nonsense?”

She let her eyes tear up.

“I’m sorry, my lady. I didn’t mean to be impudent.”

She let herself leak out enough tears to seem real, before wiping them away – keeping the flowers in her arms. The Lady Mary clearly switched back from angry to uncomfortable and guilty. But she stood her ground.

“I think it would be best for you to go back to your mistress, Mistress Howard. I apologise for snapping at you, but this was inappropriate. I will not say anything, and I expect the same of you.”

Kitty nodded and walked away, while Mary sighed and sat herself under a tree, unseen by the German crowd. That hadn’t been quite a disaster, but it had been risky. But at least the girl with a handful of flowers knew her brother was on the case. Later that night, Miss Welser was seen in the Queen’s rooms with her own flower. Yellow, like the one in her own hair.

Kitty could only stall the wedding for so much longer. The Queen was desperately close to popping, and she just needed to be sure that pathway was closed before she settled into her role as Countess. Granted, she hadn’t had many opportunities to steal away and stoke the King’s fires. Instead, Queen Anne spent basically her entire days coming up with reasons to either keep her busy, or send her off to Lord Essex’s apartments.

Gregory Cromwell was particularly annoying about all of this. Despite everything, she didn’t want her new family to hate her. All going well, she’d be his stepmother soon. But he despised everything she was. And judging by the curt letter she’d just received from his wife, he wasn’t the only one.

Her wedding was due to happen within the next few days, so the Queen could have her as part of the lying in entourage. The Electress seemed especially keen to attend, and Kitty wondered just how much of this was to be sure their alliance wasn’t replaced in the event that everything went wrong. She’d brought new, flattering portraits of the Lady Amelia, who they were apparently helping negotiate in marriage to the Count of Enghien, who’d joined the Duke of Nevers as a Protestant-friendly French representative.

Of course, Kitty guessed their real hope was that if the King lost one Cleves Queen, he’d replace her with another. Not helped by the fact that the Elector had managed to extend his party further with his unmarried sister, Margaret of Saxony. Thankfully, the heavy German girl managed to be both boring and ugly, leaving Kitty no real foes.

Except the pretty blonde girl in their ranks.

Philippine Welser was too young for her King. People whispered she'd been sent to spy for the Hapsburgs. Kitty knew he wouldn’t look at her as more than a child and maybe a treat. But that didn’t mean he would see her that way forever. Already tall for her age, Kitty saw her and remembered how young she’d been when the men of the world decided she was a woman. Henry might not have a penchant for girls, but Kitty didn’t know when he’d consider one a woman. After all, she was barely 16 herself. Charles Brandon had already begun to eye the banker’s niece with interest.

But for now, she’d come as part of the German parade, and the Queen was already talking about adding her to the maids of the court. That came with certain protections. Kitty had already basked in the glory of being an ascendent Queen’s pet. But she had to prevent her from staying, or at least ruin her for the King. That’s when she decided to turn to Charlie.

He spent his days playing at swords and his nights dancing for the King. Her unscrupulous brother was the one who let her know what smells he liked, what songs he sang, what treats he loved. He’d also recently seduced a Princess of his own, although Lady Douglas had been a dead end for them. But with his handsome brown eyes and penchant for poetry, she just knew he’d be a sheltered German girl’s dream.

“Brother!” she practically screamed, jumping into his arms. His friends at court all knew she was his favourite sibling, despite the presence of their brother George, and the scheduled arrival of their sister Mary before the Christmas festivities began in a few months. Charlie and Kitty had a special bond. The fact that the bond was based on mutual ambition was besides the point.

“Kitty – how lovely you look in your new dress.”

She knew that was a dig. The dress was a cast off from the Queen – ordered before her baby was official and likely never to fit again. The colour was flattering enough, but she hated the style. Too German, too heavy, too conservative. But she only had so much to wear. Nevertheless, she twirled for Charlie and his band of courtier friends, including an incredibly shy little Henry Brandon, who had taken to following the men around like a puppy. Seeing an opportunity to make a friend in a child, she dropped down and pulled out a candied lemon treat, offering it to the young boy, who graced her with a chubby grin. He’d tell his father about the treat, and he might tell the King.

“I was wondering if you might take me for a walk around the gardens.”

Her brother raised his eyebrows, but Kitty was determined to keep this light. Turning away from the men, she leaned over the wall many leaned on to watch the Saxon boys hit at each other with sticks. Somebody was guiding them to better form, but she recognised where enthusiasm overtook natural talent. It broke her heart a little to see the Lady Elizabeth watching from a distance, but the Queen had decided she was too busy to play with the King’s daughter. She waved at the girl, realised she wasn’t going to be seen, and then turned back to the men eyeing her.

Even little Lord Brandon watched her, wide-eyed and now sticky with candy.

“So, Charlie, are you free to take me for a walk?”

“I am if he’s not, my lady!” squeaked one of the young boys. She didn’t recognise him, but guessed he was one of the Grey boys – John or Thomas. Nobody cared much for the grey-eyed Greys. Still, it was never nice (or practical) to burn a bridge. She smiled and giggled, before shooting Charlie a look. He’d spent the interaction trying to stifle laughter at an act he was acutely aware of.

“I’m sorry, my good man, but I wouldn’t be much of a brother to send my sister off with the likes of you.”

The boy blushed, and Kitty wondered what he had done to earn the rowdy laughter and elbowing that followed. Suddenly, she was very aware, again, that this was a secluded spot where a dozen men were watching her. Refusing to be shaken, she took her brother’s arm and waved behind her to the men they left behind.

It didn’t take long to get her to the garden.

“So, I have a favour to ask you.”

“You always do.”

“I do not! And I give as good as I take. Remember that manor just outside of York you now have. You didn’t get that for your fine work sleeping with the scullery maids.”

“You underestimate the King’s love of a good story, dear Kitty.”

She smacked him for that.

“I’m being serious, Charlie. I need you to seduce someone.”

He sighed, smiled, and picked her a flower that still blossomed from the bushes. As he stuck it behind her ear, she noticed his sneaking glance, and mouthed the word “who” to him. Throwing himself into laughter, he leaned in and kissed her cheek, before answering.

“The Lady Mary has left her cave.”

Straightening up, she kept their gait natural and easy, managing to only get a quick look at the gloomy woman in grey who seemed to be pacing the grass with no real purpose. From a distance, the German party were enjoying the sunshine. She noted that the tall blonde man was watching the King’s daughter, and she was unable to stop looking back at him.

Turning back to Charlie, she turned to him and smiled brightly.

“Start paying court to the German banker girl. She’s already getting too much attention. She’s rich, so if you can marry her, all the better. But I need you to go.”

“Go? That’s a lot of instruction for you to send me away so quickly.”

“Lady Mary hates you on behalf of Lady Douglas. If we walk over together, she’ll leave. But she has no problem with me. Please go and let me see what I can make happen here.”

He snorted, kissed her cheek, and ran back up to his friends, who had relocated close by, like a flock of seagulls chasing a meal.

Kitty, meanwhile, played it safe. Just walking up to Mary would be suspicious. But a maid of the court with a handful of flowers, wandering around looking for more, that was doable. Before Mary could notice, she reached back into the bushes and picked about half a dozen flowers very quickly, filling her arms with whites, yellows and reds. Then, she turned and began lightly skipping.

Mary barely noticed the figure walking towards her, Kitty made a point to ignore her at first, picking flowers around the area. Then she played the actress, turning around the bend and coming face to face with the pinched lip woman. Pulling out her best shocked face, she let a couple of flowers drop as she ‘scrambled’ to drop to a curtsey. While she watched stone faced, the woman before her did quickly motion her up.

“Lady Mary, I hope you’re well.” she said brightly.

She didn’t look well. Up close, the angry face was sunken and grey. Clearly whatever had set her off had been bad enough to cause some damage. Kitty had seen her tense up when the Germans had arrived, and yesterday’s French entourage had seen her be utterly unconvincing at playing happy. She pretended not to notice, and scooped up the flowers at her feet.

“I am well enough, Mistress Howard.”

“Would you like a flower?”

She offered her a particularly pretty yellow one – it matched the one in her hair. Mary waved it off.

“No, thank you. I’m just out here for some exercise.”

Kitty nodded wisely, and then smiled wide.

“Would you mind if I joined you? I often worry I don’t get enough fresh air. The Queen has not been outside in weeks – not that I mind! There’s a prince on the way.”

Mary shrugged, and Kitty knew this was the right move. Too simple to say no to, too nice to snap at. This was a woman raised with some level of manners. Friendly company was easy to accept.

“What brings you out to the gardens?”

“Flowers. The Queen keeps such lovely bouquets, I wanted one for my own bedside.”

Mary snorted, and Kitty made a point of bending down and picking another.

Live the lie.

“I hear your lover keeps you heavily in flowers.”

For a split second, she wanted to smack her for that dig. But she controlled it, and instead smiled brightly.

“Not lovers yet, my lady. I’m yet to be wed to Lord Essex.”

The two smiled politely at each other, and Kitty suddenly realised she was losing the battle. Changing tactics, she sighed towards the Germans.

“What was that?”

“What was what, ma’am?”

“That heavy sigh. The heave. What was that?”

“Oh…I’m sorry, I didn’t realise I did that. I apologise. That was an accident.”

Her eyes trailed over to the Bavarian Duke, and Kitty knew she was on the money. Closer to him, she realised the man was closer to forty than he was to youth, and that solid frame was going to fat around the gut. But Mary looked at him like a tragic heroine of folk tales.

“He’s quite handsome,” she gave a shy smile, “and quite nice. I heard he’d promised to send the Lady Elizabeth some books in Greek from his personal library.”

Mary just nodded, but Kitty knew she had a soft spot for her sister. This was an opening.

“He’s quite generous. Even before the promise, he’d given her a book of histories about the Crusades. And when he came in to see the Queen last night – before the banquet – he gave us all such beautiful gifts. Something small but beautiful for everyone. I got a lovely set of rings. What did he bring you, my lady?”

Mary unknowingly fingered the pendant at her neck, before abruptly stopping.

“What do you want, Mistress Howard?”

Apparently, Kitty wasn’t as subtle as she assumed.

“I was just asking a question, ma’am. I apologise if I overstepped. I just wanted to cheer you up.”

It was a half-truth. But Kitty knew it wasn’t enough.

“Why would you think you had the right to come and bother me with your nonsense?”

She let her eyes tear up.

“I’m sorry, my lady. I didn’t mean to be impudent.”

She let herself leak out enough tears to seem real, before wiping them away – keeping the flowers in her arms. The Lady Mary clearly switched back from angry to uncomfortable and guilty. But she stood her ground.

“I think it would be best for you to go back to your mistress, Mistress Howard. I apologise for snapping at you, but this was inappropriate. I will not say anything, and I expect the same of you.”

Kitty nodded and walked away, while Mary sighed and sat herself under a tree, unseen by the German crowd. That hadn’t been quite a disaster, but it had been risky. But at least the girl with a handful of flowers knew her brother was on the case. Later that night, Miss Welser was seen in the Queen’s rooms with her own flower. Yellow, like the one in her own hair.

really fantastic chapter, I feel sorry for the poor and very stupid Wesler girl, who got fooled, but still the discussion between Kitty and Mary was superlative, with the former literally walking on a tightrope so as not to make the latter suspect that this chat had a double purpose, the part in which Mary talks and thinks about Philip was very tender, Kitty's thoughts on the matter made me smile ( since they would be quite realistic, for a little girl of the time, a man over thirty would be almost an old man )

I was thinking about something, how funny it would be if the Habsburg emissary, who came to London to discuss the possible alliance with Henry ( with the aim of distancing him from the sirens of the Protestant princes ) was nothing other than an illegitimate son of Maximilian ( after all, Max had had a lot, maybe George, bishop of Liège ? ) so we also have the funny moment in which Henry thinks he sees the ghost of the late Emperor ( since he met him in person )

Last edited:
#14 Anne gives birth
Anne had not had a great time of confinement.

That was an understatement. Not only was her body swollen and her back aching, but nothing she had planned had come to fruition as she had hoped. Mistress Howard remained a maid, declaring herself too nervous to marry until after the baby was born. The Lady Mary had barely received her sister and nephews before disappearing into her rooms. Maggie Douglas kept complaining about not being allowed into Anne’s inner circle. And worst of all…Sibylle was “helping”.

She loved her sister, but the eldest daughter of Cleves had a tendency to completely demolish a room. In this case, it meant ignoring her requests for a quiet and tranquil confinement. Instead, a woman had been brought in with a set of pipes, and Sibylle had the women dancing for her entertainment. The fact that Anne hated the pipes, and the dancing was bad did not help.

Nor was her insistence on pairing her son with Anne’s daughter. Elizabeth clearly did not like her Saxon nephews and considering a recent spat where John Frederick had almost lost one of the Dudley boys an eye, she couldn’t blame her. Worst of all, they played rough with the Prince, and if anything happened to that boy…England would have her head.

Granted, her mind had not been on that for a while. Almost a day to her mind. Instead, it was on the pain.

“Push!” screamed the midwife.

---

Elizabeth knew the hush meant the Queen was in labour. They’d barely said goodbye to her before it was announced. Early. Not scarily early, but early enough that people were worried. In all the whispers and darting eyes, she guessed things weren’t going well.

“Maggie,” she tugged at the tall woman’s loose sleeve, “is the Queen okay?”

“Yes.”

Her cousin pushed her away, watching anxiously out the door and down the hallway, where a series of eyes looked for an announcement. Elizabeth peered past her and counted about a dozen men and women doing the same thing. Frustrated and bored, she returned to the carpet, where Edward was playing with a rag horse. Picking up a paper doll, she waddled it over and started pretending to ride his toy. Upset that his own game had been tampered with, her brother started crying, and Elizabeth was shunned to the couch, with a book and a stern look from the half dozen adults in the room.

“Now, missy, you need to focus on your studies and not playtime.”

She was then once again ignored, while the burly Scotswoman began bouncing Edward while pacing the room. Elizabeth looked at the book she’d been given. It was in Greek.

She didn’t speak Greek.

---

Kitty knew what she had to do. It had been twenty hours since the Queen had started her labour, and still no child. Chances were this was the end of her. Taking a deep breath, she walked through the secret door Henry had shown her months ago, and entered the King’s bedroom, where he sat alone and worried.

Staring out his window, she knew he had demanded privacy unless the Queen’s condition had improved. He had lost one bride to childbed, he could very well lose another. There was no time to lose, and so she steadied herself, let her eyes well up, and ran to his side before he noticed her enter.

“Henry, you must be so worried!”

She never called him Henry if she could help it, but she knew the King loved it when she used his name. The men in his circle called him “Harry”, but “Henry” made him feel young again. And in this moment, so intimate, so precious, he would feel the walls between them were breaking down. She stared into his eyes as he processed that she was there, dressed in a simple grey dress, hair loose, alone in a room together for the first time. She let herself heave, and touched his chest, hoping to stir him into action..

Kitty didn’t get a chance to pull any further dramatics before he pulled her into a kiss and started pawing at her skirt. In the end, they were finished in less than 5 minutes. His breath was hot, and sour, and lingered. But for the speed, he was tender.

Playing the rosy cheeked virgin, she trembled and flustered her way out of the room. He kissed her hand. Their eyes met, and his had a twinkle in them. It was like two lovers.

It was two lovers.

She waited behind the door hidden by a tapestry as a messenger came into the room and whispered to the King to announce the birth of a Prince and cursed her impatience. There would be no quick rush to the alter. If she was pregnant, she would have to marry Cromwell immediately.

---

Anne had a surprisingly long time to hold her son before the King arrived. He was tiny and red and had a tuft of hair so blond it was almost white – Sibylle had laughed and asked if they’d snuck in one of her babies. But the dozen witnesses to her days of pain could attest this was her baby. Her precious son.

Henry arrived looking dishevelled and smelling odd. Like roses over a lingering fish smell. It was odd, but she ignored it. When she presented the King’s son to him, he smiled and kissed the hand closest to his head. Looked the boy in the eyes and mouthed “thank you” to his Duke of York.

“May I present to you,” he said, holding the infant in his arms, “Prince Henry William Tudor, my son and your Duke of York!”

It was the King who accepted the congratulations. Henry who basked in the glory. But it was Anne who had won. Her gamble had paid off. Nobody could touch her. Despite all their whispers and comments, she had triumphed. Her labour was long because her boy was strong. His cries filled the room and she heard a lion’s roar.

Exhausted, she went to sleep on that sound, and dreamed of a dozen more sons and daughters, all with golden hair and happy smiled.

Exhausted, she went to sleep on that sound, and dreamed of a dozen more sons and daughters, all with golden hair and happy smiled.
Not sure Henry would be up for that, but Anne surely has demonstrated her value as..well, breeding stock. A Prince at the first try, with one try? Even if our unlovely king shall never again grace her bed, she's ten feet tall, bulletproof and may cause miracles.

Anne had not had a great time of confinement.

That was an understatement. Not only was her body swollen and her back aching, but nothing she had planned had come to fruition as she had hoped. Mistress Howard remained a maid, declaring herself too nervous to marry until after the baby was born. The Lady Mary had barely received her sister and nephews before disappearing into her rooms. Maggie Douglas kept complaining about not being allowed into Anne’s inner circle. And worst of all…Sibylle was “helping”.

She loved her sister, but the eldest daughter of Cleves had a tendency to completely demolish a room. In this case, it meant ignoring her requests for a quiet and tranquil confinement. Instead, a woman had been brought in with a set of pipes, and Sibylle had the women dancing for her entertainment. The fact that Anne hated the pipes, and the dancing was bad did not help.

Nor was her insistence on pairing her son with Anne’s daughter. Elizabeth clearly did not like her Saxon nephews and considering a recent spat where John Frederick had almost lost one of the Dudley boys an eye, she couldn’t blame her. Worst of all, they played rough with the Prince, and if anything happened to that boy…England would have her head.

Granted, her mind had not been on that for a while. Almost a day to her mind. Instead, it was on the pain.

“Push!” screamed the midwife.

---

Elizabeth knew the hush meant the Queen was in labour. They’d barely said goodbye to her before it was announced. Early. Not scarily early, but early enough that people were worried. In all the whispers and darting eyes, she guessed things weren’t going well.

“Maggie,” she tugged at the tall woman’s loose sleeve, “is the Queen okay?”

“Yes.”

Her cousin pushed her away, watching anxiously out the door and down the hallway, where a series of eyes looked for an announcement. Elizabeth peered past her and counted about a dozen men and women doing the same thing. Frustrated and bored, she returned to the carpet, where Edward was playing with a rag horse. Picking up a paper doll, she waddled it over and started pretending to ride his toy. Upset that his own game had been tampered with, her brother started crying, and Elizabeth was shunned to the couch, with a book and a stern look from the half dozen adults in the room.

“Now, missy, you need to focus on your studies and not playtime.”

She was then once again ignored, while the burly Scotswoman began bouncing Edward while pacing the room. Elizabeth looked at the book she’d been given. It was in Greek.

She didn’t speak Greek.

---

Kitty knew what she had to do. It had been twenty hours since the Queen had started her labour, and still no child. Chances were this was the end of her. Taking a deep breath, she walked through the secret door Henry had shown her months ago, and entered the King’s bedroom, where he sat alone and worried.

Staring out his window, she knew he had demanded privacy unless the Queen’s condition had improved. He had lost one bride to childbed, he could very well lose another. There was no time to lose, and so she steadied herself, let her eyes well up, and ran to his side before he noticed her enter.

“Henry, you must be so worried!”

She never called him Henry if she could help it, but she knew the King loved it when she used his name. The men in his circle called him “Harry”, but “Henry” made him feel young again. And in this moment, so intimate, so precious, he would feel the walls between them were breaking down. She stared into his eyes as he processed that she was there, dressed in a simple grey dress, hair loose, alone in a room together for the first time. She let herself heave, and touched his chest, hoping to stir him into action..

Kitty didn’t get a chance to pull any further dramatics before he pulled her into a kiss and started pawing at her skirt. In the end, they were finished in less than 5 minutes. His breath was hot, and sour, and lingered. But for the speed, he was tender.

Playing the rosy cheeked virgin, she trembled and flustered her way out of the room. He kissed her hand. Their eyes met, and his had a twinkle in them. It was like two lovers.

It was two lovers.

She waited behind the door hidden by a tapestry as a messenger came into the room and whispered to the King to announce the birth of a Prince and cursed her impatience. There would be no quick rush to the alter. If she was pregnant, she would have to marry Cromwell immediately.

---

Anne had a surprisingly long time to hold her son before the King arrived. He was tiny and red and had a tuft of hair so blond it was almost white – Sibylle had laughed and asked if they’d snuck in one of her babies. But the dozen witnesses to her days of pain could attest this was her baby. Her precious son.

Henry arrived looking dishevelled and smelling odd. Like roses over a lingering fish smell. It was odd, but she ignored it. When she presented the King’s son to him, he smiled and kissed the hand closest to his head. Looked the boy in the eyes and mouthed “thank you” to his Duke of York.

“May I present to you,” he said, holding the infant in his arms, “Prince Henry William Tudor, my son and your Duke of York!”

It was the King who accepted the congratulations. Henry who basked in the glory. But it was Anne who had won. Her gamble had paid off. Nobody could touch her. Despite all their whispers and comments, she had triumphed. Her labour was long because her boy was strong. His cries filled the room and she heard a lion’s roar.

So glad to read this! Henry doesn’t like Anne. But he’s stuck with Anne. And, who knows? Maybe he’ll get conned into spending another night in her bed and she’ll give him another son!

With Henry's personality, he would simply greatly respect Anne for having given birth to a legitimate male child. Anne's position and status as Queen is now beyond doubt as long as her son is still alive, Henry would see it as an insult to his son that Anne is despised (and the Tudor period is known for royal executions)

Even if Anne's son dies, and there is a divorce, Henry will surely be kind to Anne and give her lands or titles, as long as Anne does not try to stop the divorce.

On the other hand, Henry might also consider "sleeping" with Anne to have a second child out of duty. In history, there were homosexual kings/dukes who fulfilled their "duty" in providing an "heir" and a "spare" for their dynasties. If they could, I don't see why Henry couldn't do it too.

Anne will definitely go up in Henry's estimation, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a dozen more bundles of joy. Henry might not be capable of fathering children for too much longer even if he visits Anne's bed again.

Perhaps now with a Duke of York, Henry will finally commit to marrying off his daughters. And perhaps now with her status as mother of the spare, Anne can advocate for a certain match...

Last edited:
On the other hand, Henry might also consider "sleeping" with Anne to have a second child out of duty. In history, there were homosexual kings/dukes who fulfilled their "duty" in providing an "heir" and a "spare" for their dynasties. If they could, I don't see why Henry couldn't do it too.
Anne's son *is* the spare, though, so I'm not sure how realistic another child really is, not least because, as others have said, of Henry's fading virility.

Also: Kitty, you silly girl! You couldn't wait 24 more hours??

#15 The Marriage Question
Mary had been one of the last to see her latest brother upon his birth. Little Henry William had been born while she had taken to her knees in a private chapel to pray for the Queen, who she had been sure was close to death. But here he was, the Duke of York her father had so desperately wanted. Tiny and precious, but as strong as a horse. She looked into his round, blue eyes and saw herself, her sister, her aunt, her cousins. The Tudor gaze. He'd held strong through the endless parading and parties. Her brother would be a lion, not a sheep.

Elizabeth had declared the infant too noisy, and Mary had giggled when she'd run off complaining at how obsessed the court was "with just a baby". Once the baptism was done, she’d be back to Hatfield with Edward and now little Henry, and Mary would return to her own household. Her father had made it clear that his family time was over, and they’d only be back for Christmas. The Germans would leave, the world would settle down, and she’d remain as she always was.

Except…he had not stop attending to her.

Duke Philip paid homage to her almost every day. Sometimes it was small gifts, sometimes it was love letters. Once he’d sent her a box filled with candied cherries – she had eaten one a day every day since. But what he didn’t gift her was his presence.

Her father had called her to attendance, and she’d dutifully followed a page to the chambers where he sat with his gaggle of young, boisterous men. They all quick their tittering when she arrived, but she did notice who was not there. No Lord Brandon, no Lord Howard, no Lord Cromwell. It was a half empty room in many ways, and the closest thing she’d have had to a private conversation with the King in years.

“Your Majesty.”

She dropped to a curtsey and went as low as possible. From the corner of her eye, she could feel Charlie Howard leering at her.

“Mary, rise – come sit with me!”

Fatherhood always put a glow into the King’s face, but Mary sense something a little less triumphant than just the joy of having two living sons. His body was loose, but his eyes were squinted and worried. The pale arches of his eyebrows were moving incessantly, and she instantly wondered if he was going to tell her some awful news. Something to feel guilty over.

Is he still going to get rid of the Queen?

But still, she stood up carefully, smoothed her skirt, and sat on the stool beside him, pretending they weren’t in a room of adolescents pretending to busy themselves with card games and gossip. The King suddenly snapped to attention at the same Master Howard she had been acutely aware of, and snapped his fingers at him. Immediately abandoning his friends, he sauntered over to them both, and Mary wondered what about this swaggering boy had so intoxicated Maggie mere months ago.

“Charlie, I want you to go to the kitchen, have them pull together a basket of whatever the freshest fruit we have is, and bring it to the Queen. Once that’s done, get them to prepare the horses and take the Saxon boys out for a ride. I won’t have them call my hospitality lethargic.”

The tall, dark eyed boy nodded and bowed, but even Mary could see he was annoyed. He sauntered off, and her father gave her a knowing side glance. She wondered how long the boy would have lasted had her father not been infatuated with his sister. Certainly that introduction had saved him last year, but Kitty Howard could only last so long after her wedding – set before the week ended. Maybe then all the Howards would start to fizzle away.

But clearly she wasn’t here for company, and when her father leaned into her ear, she held every part of her still. No need to show anyone how much she missed being near him. It would only embarrass them both for her to react to the affection.

“The Saxons have requested to take Elizabeth back with them to prepare her for marriage to John William, and I am considering it.”

Mary’s eyes wanted to go wide, but she bit her cheek for stability and simply nodded while starring at a cracked tile. Elizabeth…sent off to some dreary offshoot of the Electorate with these boys who hated her. It was almost too much to hear. But her father would never just update her on something like this without reason. With immense pressure building in her head, she slowly nodded to show she’d heard.

“But Mary…I could not lose both of you in one sweep.”

This is what made her head involuntarily turn to him.

“Lose us?”

The inside of her cheek was now bleeding, but she couldn’t focus on the pain. Her father was sending them both away? She’d join Elizabeth in Saxony?

“Lord Philip had requested your hand in marriage again, but I will not send you away without your permission, my girl.”

He lifted a hand to her chin, and Mary gripped it with her own hand.

Philip asked for me?

“Father…”

“I would not send you off to be unhappy. So, I ask you Mary, what would bring you happiness?”

Her head was spinning. Philip. Handsome Philip. With kind eyes and big hands. Her father was offering her a chance to marry him. A man without God as she knew him in his heart. A prince without his title. Gentle and funny Philip. Suddenly, a future with her own babies, her own husband, her own home seemed real. But also, so far away. He’d left the last time saying he’d be back for her, but they hadn’t seen each other. He’d also said nothing when the blond boy had called her a Popish bastard.

It was too much to hear. One choice more than she was willing to make. She looked up into her father’s eyes, much like her own, and spoke the words she knew he wanted to hear.

“My happiness, father, is your happiness.”

He nodded, and she began to wonder what exactly that meant for her.

Hoyahoo9

Donor
She might have added, “. . . And if your happiness were to include my hand to Phillip, that would please me too.” Just to make sure she tips her hand a tiny bit. I’d hate to have her diplomatic answer be misunderstood by Henry.

Hopefully Mary gets Philip, but I’d rather see Liz in Denmark heh

I agree wholeheartedly, especially if we consider that Lizzie would end up involved between Mary's family ( and I'm not just talking about Charles V, but I also include Philip, since he was very loyal allies to Ferdinand I ) and her possible husband Wettin, in the wars of Schmalkand, which could put her in danger. serious trouble ( much better not to deal with Frederick Wilhelm 's sons, as Otl caused problems in the Empire until 1570 ) for the rest we hope that Maria rediscovery happiness and family love in the Palatinate

Last edited:
Hilarious seeing Cromwell jump on the Kitty Howard grenade for Henry. Since he got Henry a second son, he'll probably still get his Earldom and his head should be much more secure than OTL. Norfolk better be wary of him this time around.

#16 Kitty gets married
Philippine Welser found the attentions of Charles Howard quite terrifying.

It wasn’t that she found him awful. Of the men who circulated through the Queen’s chambers day in and day out, he was amongst the most charming, and the handsomest. But that was the problem. Everyone seemed to desire him, but he seemed wholly focused on her. Which was why she was not attending the wedding of Katherine Howard and the Earl of Essex on his arm, dwarfed under his height.

The ceremony was not expensive, and Mistress Howard had had to borrow a gown from Frances Brandon, still recovering from the birth of another daughter – this one named Anne. Still, Philippine thought she looked quite pretty, but a little like a lamb to slaughter. They were so close in age, and yet she felt so much younger than the 16-year-old in heavy damask.

King Henry was attending by himself, Queen Anne still unable to attend events like this. But her presence was still felt, with the Saxons amongst the crowd, and the pearls on the bride’s neck as a gift from her mistress. Not to be outdone, the King had given Katherine a barony on her own right – thus stood the Baroness Howard.

And the bride’s brother kept touching her arm.

It felt like everyone kept looking back at her, an interloper amongst the royalty and seasoned courtiers. Her hair was held back under a headdress her uncle had ordered in Brussels, and her dress was made to sit loose on her, to hide how tiny she was. Her mother had gifted her a pot of rouge to use for special occasions, but she liked to keep her face bare. It felt ridiculous to pretend to be grown up amongst the English women.

“I now present, Lord and Lady Cromwell!”

The King seemed absolutely giddy as the old man and his young bride walked turned to the party, and Philippine was able to watch as his lips touched her cheeks. It should have been a friendly gesture, but the room seemed…tense. Particularly Lord Cromwell, who didn’t let go of her waist, despite her pull away. She wondered if he would be a jealous husband. Her father was not one, but she knew some men hid their wives away. Maybe Lady Cromwell would be shut off in the country?

“Isn’t she beautiful?”

That was Charles Howard. He looked down at her with a smile that seemed sincere, and back to his sister. She noticed they shared the same long nose, and suddenly they seemed more human to her. But all she did was nod and smile, and he leaned in to kiss her forehead before leaving to hug his sister.

Before she could settle back down, a young man, maybe her age, pulled her aside.

“Watch out for Charlie Howard.”

Round faced and long nosed, she guessed them to be related. But it was his eyes that terrified her. Large and dark, he stared at her with intensity she didn’t know what to do with.

“Do not trust him. Take care around Charlie Howard.”

She took a step back, and he suddenly burst into laughter as she turned to see her partner across the room, staring at them. She smiled brightly, unclear what was going on, and before she knew it, she had been pulled away with the ladies, who were congratulating the new Countess of Essex on her brilliant match.

--

Mary Stafford had never expected to return to court. Her sister’s execution years prior had put a damper on any sort of hope she had for the place, as did her growing family. But here she was, at the wedding of her cousin, dragged along by her giddy husband, with their daughter on her hip and her belly round and full.

They’d been amongst those to greet the Queen, and now they were here for her rival. Kitty Howard, somehow, had remembered them from her brief sojourn in the household of the Lady Norfolk. Now they sat amongst foreign royalty and played attentions to the bride and groom at this informal celebration.

The worst moment had been reuniting with the King. They’d been so beautiful when they’d been lovers. She’d been in the bloom of youth, and he’d been the truest of knights. Now her dark hair hung limp and greying, while his strength had turned to fat. But still, he embraced her warmly, and complimented her pretty daughter. She didn’t have the head to mention they’d lost a son in the interim.

And like always, her Will took it in stride and smiled. He was never cross, never cruel, never mean. Her husband was the type of man who kissed her hand and asked her to dance, even as the years stole that first burst of affection. When she’d warned him the King had been her lover (not mentioned he was not the only royal to share her bed) he’d just asked if he’d been gentle with her.

And now she sat amongst the ladies and girls that her host had invited and spoke somewhat freely to the bride.

“Kitty, my dear, you look lovely.”

“Thank you, Mary,” she patted the pregnant woman’s swollen hand and looked past her, to where the King had begun laughing with the confused Elector, “so do you.”

It was then that little Anne, her Annie, stumbled over and sat between them, leaning into her mother sleepily.

“Oh, Annie, not now!” she said, moving to arrange her elsewhere. But Kitty squealed and pulled the girl into a hug herself.

“She’s lovely! Mary, you must let me keep her!”

Her daughter snuggled into the arms of the new Countess, and the other women began ooing and ahhing over the scene.

“Well, my Lady,” causing Kitty to giggle to herself at the absurdity of her new titles, “I just might.”

Kitty looked to her, confused.

“It’s just that, Annie is growing so quickly, and I fear I can’t give her the opportunities my other children have had.”

Catherine Knollys, herself visibly pregnant, looked on with weary eyes. Mary missed her eldest daughter. But it had been for the best when she’d left her children in England for Calais. Now it was time to do the same for Annie.

“I couldn’t take her from you.”

“Kitty…we don’t have much money, and we don’t have many friends. It would be an honour for you to take my child as your ward. Once my father’s will has been sorted, she’ll have a dowry sorted, and it would just be to your training. If anybody exemplifies how high a woman can rise with the right training, it’s you.”

She’d brought the rosy-cheeked Lady Cromwell to tears, and Kitty just nodded. Mary wondered what the wistfulness in her eyes was, but thought little of it. Annie had a place in the Countess’ house, and when the time came, she’d make sure the babe in her belly did as well. Kitty pulled the girl close to her, and Mary rubbed her stomach patiently.

Lady Knollys watched on, and help her stomach with both hands, as if to hide her child from them both.