A map I've been working on . . .

Highlander

Banned
I've been working on this map for some time, and thought I'd post it . . .

Can you come up with anything, or have any suggestions/tips?

Antique_USmap.PNG

You should change the names. I'm assuming that the Ancient Empires of the world haven't collapsed yet ad have successfully colonised the Americas, if so, you wouldn't get names like California, Illinois or America.

New Tunisia should also have a different name... After all, Tunis won't be the dominant city if Carthage is still around, and so the name Tunisia likely won't arise. It might be called New Africa, perhaps?

arent illinois and california native american names? so they could be there. America likely wouldnt be there, but it might have been discovered by a Roman by the name of Americus, from Italy :rolleyes:

Diamond

Banned
Wendell said:
The name California came from an XVth century book, IIRC...
Yup. The Spanish explorer who discovered the region took the name from a popular book of the time, dealing with an old Roman myth about an Amazon warrior queen named Califiya (not sure on the spelling).

It would make Romulus Augustulus happy if your Mongol Alliance was the Evergreen Khanate:D

Also, I think the Japaese word for Green is Midori...

Diamond said:
Yup. The Spanish explorer who discovered the region took the name from a popular book of the time, dealing with an old Roman myth about an Amazon warrior queen named Califiya (not sure on the spelling).

From Chronicles of America;(paraphrased)

Cortez captured it in 1535. Thought it was an island, and said hey its peaceful here, lets name the settlement La Paz!

(1509)Count Ordones de Montalvo in the squel to the Amandis Cycle wrote Las Sergas de Esplandian. The queen's name is Califia, whom helps pagan forces occupy Constantinople. She comes from a place "at the right hand of the Indies, an Island named California," which has gold and Griffens.:p It was very popular at the time.

Now as for my problems;

You killed the Tarascans! Why oh why turn on them, sending them to their doom among the Aztec's scarficial flames!

Othniel said:
From Chronicles of America;(paraphrased)

Cortez captured it in 1535. Thought it was an island, and said hey its peaceful here, lets name the settlement La Paz!

(1509)Count Ordones de Montalvo in the squel to the Amandis Cycle wrote Las Sergas de Esplandian. The queen's name is Califia, whom helps pagan forces occupy Constantinople. She comes from a place "at the right hand of the Indies, an Island named California," which has gold and Griffens.:p It was very popular at the time.
To back that up;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_California

Wendell said:
Also, I think the Japanese word for Green is Midori...

It is; however, they use blue in many instances we'd use green, like aoringo(blue apple), aoshingo(blue light, as in the green light of traffic lights).