A Liberal Century: An Australian Political Timeline

A Liberal Century: An Australian Political Timeline

“Janette and I kicked the issue around, and I concluded that it would be in the party’s best interests, all things being equal, if I retired before the 2007 election, giving my successor, who I assumed would be Peter Costello, plenty of time to establish himself. From early 2005 this became my working assumption; it was not set in cement – nothing like that ever could be – but it was to remain my working assumption until blown apart by the events of July 2006.” – John Howard. Lazarus Rising. ‘The Leadership’. (607. 2010)

newshowardcostello_wideweb__470x319,0.jpg

Canberra. Wednesday 18 October 2006

The ringing telephone momentarily startled Peter from his thoughts. Fingering the phone he saw immediately it was the PM’s Chief of Staff Tony Nutt. He suspected, or rather hoped, what the matter would be about. Taking a deep breath to collect himself he picked up the receiver.

“Tony what can I do for you?"
The response was measured and controlled. “Peter did you get my message?”
“Yes I did. Has the meeting been setup?” He asked.
“Yes it has, he’s ready to meet you now.”
“Good.” He almost left it there when a further thought occurred to him. “Who else will be at the meeting?”
“Alexander Downer and Nick Minchin.”
Peter smiled. “I’ll be around soon.”

He put the receiver down and reclined back into the chair. He was unable to suppress a smile or a growing feeling of confidence. He had heard a rumour earlier that evening that the Prime Minister was going to retire. His instincts had been sceptical at first, but when he received an urgent message from Tony Nutt asking for a meeting he began to hope.

It was a fool’s hope he had told himself, the old man wasn’t going anywhere. This would simply be another June 2003 meeting in which John Howard would explain why he needed just one more term to effect their agenda and then he would retire. Peter remembered the events with a bitter disposition. He recalled how, in a February 2003 meeting, Howard had held out hope by talking of future grave responsibility for Peter, only then to completely deny such an interpretation in the June meeting which delivered the death blow to such an ambition. The tactics were the same again. A meeting earlier this year in July had Howard speaking in similar vague platitudes, soliciting his cooperation to keep the Government stable for an orderly transition. Soliciting in reality meant co-opting and for some time after Peter deeply regretted suppressing a story about the internal leadership tensions proposed to be published by the journalist Glenn Milne.

But it was different now. In hindsight quashing the Milne story had been an unexpected blessing. Howard had never responded well to such pressure in the past and there was no telling how he may have reacted. Rather than forcing a resignation it might have provoked him into staying. It was only now that Peter felt he was fortunate to have listened to the sage advice of his supporters at the time and not acted solely on his emotions.

There were three principal reasons why he felt it was different this time. The first was the anecdotal feeling of many in the party ten years was long enough for a successful leader in modern politics. Even Howard’s loyal protégé Tony Abbott had indicated to Peter in 2004 that Howard wouldn’t go another term beyond that election, as it simply wouldn’t be in the interests of the party. At the time Peter thought this was an attempt at consolation but over the years he had heard more and more similar talk, albeit not from the more senior members of the Government.

The second reason was the rumour he had heard earlier that evening. That had not happened before, in fact quite the opposite. That such a rumour existed was not completely surprising, but that it had originated from the PM’s own office was startling. It could be an attempt at ambush, but it would be overly damaging to the Government to contemplate such a risky confrontation and Peter’s feeling was that if Howard did intend to chop his deputy he would do so in a very quiet and suppressed manner.

These reasons, although significant to a point, were not enough to allay the instinctual wariness Peter always had when dealing with his leader. What really convinced him this time was the confirmation that Alexander Downer and Nick Minchin were present. Although it was not unusual for a Prime Minister to meet with his Ministers, Peter instantly felt this was different. Yes both were Cabinet Ministers and senior members of the Government, but more importantly both were Howard loyalists and their respective positions as Party Elders meant that this meeting would be unlike any other Peter had had before. He was sure of it.

He picked himself up from the chair and grabbed his jacket. The more he thought on it the more confident he became. His time was finally coming after years of loyalty and dedication to the Party. With that thought he left his office and marched triumphantly towards the PM’s Office, unable to suppress his thoughts or his infamous smirk. He was glad he had already prepared a speech for this eventuality - and it was a bloody good one too.
--------------
Notes:

This makes the assumption that Howard’s comments were genuine and not an attempt to rewrite history – a point that is entirely debateable. If you haven’t worked out the POD it is Costello advising Ian McLachlan not to confirm the details of the alleged leadership deal in December 1994.

Also the updates to this timeline will be gradual and probably slow. I’m working on a Roman Timeline at the moment which I’m thoroughly enjoying and that is my priority as far as timelines are concerned. I also haven’t abandoned the WW2 timeline I started last year. This timeline’s alternate title could quite easily be ‘Not Another Timeline, my wife will kill me!’

Anyway I hope you enjoy.

Last edited: