1632 Movie- Can it be done in a plausible manner?

Can it be done in a non-cliche ridiculous manner like the movie "timeline" was made as?

I just Randomly thought of an end to a movie trailer for it, with Jackson(who was shown to have vietnam memberilia in his house earlier in the trailer) looking out over a field of 5-6 thousand soldiers, grimacing, and cupping his hands to scream "light em up!!!"....cut to gretchen richter with the other camp followers/whores behind enemy lines swiftly turning her head with wide eyes as the statter of an m-60 in the backround erupts.

Dunno.

That statement doesn't make any sense.

Actually, it does. In the US, ask a random individual (i.e. your target audience) to describe the 30 Years War.

This doesn't automatically screw your movie over, though. How many people who watched the Lord of the Rings movies actually read the book? For them, that intro sequence that explained the history of the ring explained things well enough. So, have an intro sequence that describes the 30 Years War, and even the most historically illiterate individual can figure it out.

I think this movie can be done. You'd need to condense a lot of the story, but you can certainly do it.

Personally I think Nantucket would make a better miniseries, full series or movie. A lot of the characters are more recognisable (Odyessus etc...) and it is so far back in time that is more on the border of mythic history than real history.

Personally I think Nantucket would make a better miniseries, full series or movie. A lot of the characters are more recognisable (Odyessus etc...) and it is so far back in time that is more on the border of mythic history than real history.

Not to mention it's simply better written.

Not to mention it's simply better written.

Oh yes. It was before Stirling went nuts and started churning out these sequels to the Dies the Fire trilogy without a break. You need to know when to stop Mr. Stirling, even Chris Paolini knows when too many books is too many...:mad:

Clibanarius

Banned
Oh yes. It was before Stirling went nuts and started churning out these sequels to the Dies the Fire trilogy without a break. You need to know when to stop Mr. Stirling, even Chris Paolini knows when too many books is too many...:mad:

Heh.

The problem with Stirling is he won't get over his weird lesbian-chain-mail- S&M-fetish that's not really connected to plot and it doesn't add anything.

Heh.

The problem with Stirling is he won't get over his weird lesbian-chain-mail- S&M-fetish that's not really connected to plot and it doesn't add anything.

Hopefully "Taint of the Blood" got some of that out of his system. He even added incest! *thumbs up*

/facepalm

I haven't read any of Stirling's work bar ISOT, i thought they were pretty decent, but the way the self made emperor who wanted to carve his own empire died was a let down imho.

His daughter is still out there though.

How's his other work?

HA!

I'm still supporting a Guns of the South film.
Honestly, Guns of the South (heck, most books beyond a fifth-grade reading level) would be better-suited to a miniseries than a movie. Everything up to the first shipment of new rifles could fit into a 40-minute episode nicely.

Honestly, Guns of the South (heck, most books beyond a fifth-grade reading level) would be better-suited to a miniseries than a movie. Everything up to the first shipment of new rifles could fit into a 40-minute episode nicely.

I could see that fitting together nicely. Kinda like a Game of Thrones type thing.

Would also make a cool first person shooter, like the first Ghost Recon. You command a squad of AK-47 bearing Confederates, running around the woods fighting against men with muskets and repeaters. Thinking about it makes me sad, because it isn't real.

Yes, yes I am. It added nothing to plot and frankly it was just kind of silly.

Having a lesbian character doesn't guarantee that a character will be an interesting one or guarantee that it will improve the book.

I second this.

If you don't add to the plot, you have created needless material through which the reader will realize, "Holy crap, this adds nothing. Why is it here?"

You've effected slapped Hollywood onto a page.

Let's be realistic, for those who say that a mini-series will make it better. Just consider that The Event (NBC-TV), Caprica (SyFy-TV), and V (ABC-TV) have all been cancelled this year, mainly because network executives complained that the complex storylines were actually turning viewers away...

Even series like Fringe are being threatened with possible cancellation. To make matters worse, unless you have a major director or executive producer with the gravitas of J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, et al. most studios consider science fiction poisonous.....

Let's be realistic, for those who say that a mini-series will make it better. Just consider that The Event (NBC-TV), Caprica (SyFy-TV), and V (ABC-TV) have all been cancelled this year, mainly because network executives complained that the complex storylines were actually turning viewers away...

Even series like Fringe are being threatened with possible cancellation. To make matters worse, unless you have a major director or executive producer with the gravitas of J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, et al. most studios consider science fiction poisonous.....

Lost did fine.

Complex as hell.

Lost did fine.

Complex as hell.
First, for every Lost (ABC-TV), you have the failures of The Bionic Woman (NBC-TV), The Dollhouse (FOX-TV), Flash Forward (ABC-TV), et al. Second, while the awkward sex scenes may work well with series like True Blood, unless they add to the story, they will often discourage viewers. The need by Stirling to add cannibalism into the different stories only makes it worse. Finally, unless the characters are more memorable than the situation, the story won't last more than 2 episodes....