1066: Year of the Conquest, and Beyond - Scandinavian England

I don't think that even if they did manage to beg an Army off of the Emperor, that they'd be facing opposition from Denmark.

Sweyn II was consistently at odds with Hadrada over Harald continually trying to advance his claim to Denmark. They even fought a Major war over it not 4 years ago, Culminating in the Battle of Nisa that saw Hadrada Defeated.
And now we had harald hardrada as king of England and Norway and technically overlord of Welsh Princes and Kings Scots. If the hard ruler can bring his new kingdom in to order he my try to take the Danish throne again and if not him his sons.

I don't think that even if they did manage to beg an Army off of the Emperor, that they'd be facing opposition from Denmark.

Sweyn II was consistently at odds with Hadrada over Harald continually trying to advance his claim to Denmark. They even fought a Major war over it not 4 years ago, Culminating in the Battle of Nisa that saw Hadrada Defeated.
If Harald can get England well under control, Denmark is probably screwed. The additional manpower alone, let alone ships and supplies, make it hard to resist. If Danish merchants shift their loyalty to Harald, or maybe anticipate open markets in England with a Norse king in England, they would certainly resist a restoration of the House of Wessex. Probably they couldn't exert enough pressure on the empire to make a mark, but who knows.
Outstanding chapter. The Queen Mother is quite intelligent. They either need to get into another realm, or disappear into the countryside...a couple more villeins won't excite any interest
True, always seemed to me she needed to be intelligent just to keep alive and in the king's good graces. It's a shame her husband died (probably murdered) so young and she never got to be queen.

So the question now would have to be do you develop a new duel Kingdoms with England, Norway and Denmark with England becomeing the senior partner in time. Or does the Kingdoms divide like what happened after the death of King canute the Great. Also would the Viking age continue or be renewed there is also the first crusade happaning in 40 years I believe as well.

I agree that they'd be welcomed into Denmark, it could even help nudge Sweyn II into invading England as he did in OTL.
Culminating in the Battle of Nisa that saw Hadrada Defeated.
Harald Hardrada was not defeated in the Battle of Niså, he won it. But it was not a decisive enough victory, as many of the Danish and even Sweyn himself escaped the battle. It's even said that one of Harald Jarl's captured Sweyn, but released him. That Jarl was later exiled because of this.

So the question now would have to be do you develop a new duel Kingdoms with England, Norway and Denmark with England becomeing the senior partner in time. Or does the Kingdoms divide like what happened after the death of King canute the Great. Also would the Viking age continue or be renewed there is also the first crusade happaning in 40 years I believe as well.
The viking age is bound to end, it had already pretty much ended by this point. The crusades, too, will happen but there is absolutely no guarantee on the magnitude or even likelihood of their success. A lot of the First Crusade's success was due to luck, that the Muslim world was disunited and fighting at the time.
These events or states of being spin on macrohistorical axles based in climate, economics, demography, etc. My POD won't change the facts that the viking age is over, and there will be concerted religious wars against Islam by western Christians.
I agree that they'd be welcomed into Denmark, it could even help nudge Sweyn II into invading England as he did in OTL.
I think Sweyn invading England is much less likely here. He may have been a welcome ruler to the Aenglisc compared to a completely foreign French duke, but there is little or no benefit to him over another Norse king like Harald.

12. A Trip Up the Meresea
1066: Year of the Conquest, and Beyond
A Trip Up the Meresea
() () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () ()
Eadward One-Eye pulled hard on the oars, propelling the boat forward in unison with the others. The River Meresea was sluggish and very wide so the going was easy. A couple of times they caught on sand bars and one of the sailors had to splash cursing into the knee-deep river to push them off. It wouldn't have been so bad but for the faint stink of shit, butchers' slops, and other waste coming down from Warington, Mameceaster, and a hundred villages of Cestrescir. The river was still water, but far from clean.

He pulled again, and again, arms bare despite the chill. Rowing over this distance was hot work, even when it had snowed last night. The day was bright and white, one massive blanket-like cloud filling the sky. The ship was already out of sight around the long bend, anchored just where the river met the sea. The captain refused to take her further in, it was well known by any captain worth his salt the Meresea was not for anything deeper drafted than a rowboat.

“How much farther, do you reckon?” Eadmund Haroldson asked him. The boy sat in the rear of the boat, in front of Eadward, not needing to row as he was a nobleman. His knees were pulled up to his chin and he looked comfortable wrapped in a great fur cloak.

Eadward looked over his shoulder at the next heave and just saw an endless track of brown water. To the sides he could make out swamp and fen. The river was two miles wide here. “I cannot say, my lord. Master coxswain!” Eadward called.

“Ho!”

“How much farther, do you reckon?”

“Till I drown or the cock rot do take me, I reckon.” The men laughed and cackled at his nasty humor, glad for this distraction from their toil. Eadward growled but said nothing. He could hardly afford to make an enemy of these sailors and their captain who would harbor and aid the fugitives. Though he couldn't see him the coxswain sensed his thoughts for he added, “I don't mean to fray you, my lord, and Thegn Eadward. I'd say we are another five miles or so from Rumcoven. Another hour or two.”

“Thank God. We are past halfway then.”

“Well past halfway. We can rest a minute if you like, I have good Irisc fire to share around if you like.” When assent was forthcoming the coxswain said, “Alright then, let's steer us to a shoal. Come full left now and we'll be there in a minute. Get ready to hop out and steady us if we need it, Albert, you lazy bastard. Come on now.” Soon enough they were stopped, flexing and massaging their aching shoulders.

The coxswain hopped out despite the stink and came over to the rear of the boat. “My lord,” he bowed and held the flask to Eadmund. The boy stared at it uncertainly.

Eadward took it and sniffed. “Phew, foul enough to be the real thing,” he grinned. “I need to drink it first. Not that we don't trust you, we just cannot be too careful.”

“As you say, Eadward,” the coxswain shrugged. “None of my business. It's very precious cargo we're carrying here. If anything happens to Cing Godwine, lord Eadmund would be next in our hearts.”

Eadward coughed and gasped on the whiskey, wiped his mouth. “I'd be spared your sarcasm, if you don't mind. I thank you for your help, but I doubt it matters much to you who is cing.” He handed the flask to Eadmund, nodding. The men each took a few sips, felt new warmth and vitality flood into their bodies. “By God, we'll make good time now.”

“I'm ready for a nap, I am,” the sailor named Albert said.

“Albert you lazy bastard!” the coxswain called from the front, now steering them again, peering suspiciously for shoals. “Only open your mouth to breathe!” To better gasp and heave.​
() () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () () ()
“It was a surprise,” Wulfstan, the fort commander at Rumcoven, said through a mouthful of stew. He spooned more into his mouth, chewed, swallowed. “Seeing men girded for war rowing up the river. Eadward Little—he's our boy here, just a bastard kid we take care of till he grows up and no doubt becomes one of us—anyway, Eadward would've shit himself if he saw you. Mind in the clouds about viking warriors and the like,” the man shook his head, chuckling.

Eadward exchanged glances with Eadmund and the other men who'd been on the rowboat. The sailors were eating on a bench in the barracks with the soldiers, but the thegns and lord Eadmund occupied most of Rumcoven fort's small hall. Eadward shook his head minutely at them and look back toward Wulfstan.

The commander was a wide man, and Eadward could see why from the way the man fairly inhaled stew. Still he held the spoon nimbly and could no doubt be just as graceful with a blade. Earl Eadwine of Mierce was many things, but a poor judge of skill he was not.

After some more minutes of dining, Wulfstan devouring and the other men poking into their bowls nervously, Eadward decided to act. The man would obviously not be more forthcoming. Just as he was about to speak, however, Eadmund did. “Wulfstan, you know the reason for our flight. Our cingdom has been overcome by a foreign menace for the time being. Our forces were undone and we must flee to maintain our freedom. Only with the freedom to raise funds and gather men can we free our people.”

Wulfstan pushed his bowl aside immediately and locked his fingers together. “Go on, my lord.”

“We are searching now for our cing, my brother Godwine. We know he lives. Good Eadward here saw him with his own eyes—with his own eye, I mean,” the boy blushed, to which the men burst out laughing, tension somewhat dispelled. With a grin he went on, “Your lord, Earl Eadwine, fled with him to the safety of his lands. With the Norse cing descending on us from the north we were cut off, we took ship and rounded the country to come here. My men and the sailors rowed all day to arrive here and are bone-tired. What are your instructions from Earl Eadwine, and more importantly where is our cing?”

Wulfstan tapped his fingers together, frowning. For a moment he said nothing, staring into Eadmund's eyes. At last he looked down, sighed, then back up again. “Don't be alarmed by what I have to say, my lord. Earl Eadwine's intentions changed about a week ago. It's been twenty—twenty-one?—days since the battle near Gegnesburh—”

“Twenty-two,” Eadward interrupted, shrugging apologetically.

“Twenty-two then,” Wulfstan waved his hand. “Twenty-two days it's been. It took Earl Eadwine about half a month to read the lay of the land, realize salvation wasn't forthcoming, that the best way would be to submit to the Norse cing.” Eadward and some of the others scoffed and muttered curses, but to be honest he wasn't too surprised. “Yes, yes, I know. Anyway no doubt he'll turn on the Norse with Godwine's return. I think the Hard-Ruler has many of his own countrymen to reward with lands and wealth, none will be left for my lord Eadwine. When Godwine comes back, Eadwine plans to do well from it.”

“When Godwine comes back—so he's gone somewhere, and you know where?”

Wulfstan nodded, took a gulp of ale. “Didn't see him myself, but word is Eadwine gave him good thegns and use of ships from Lonceaster, to reach Irland. This I heard but a few days ago, no idea where he went on the island but it's not so big. Eadwine can at least pretend to submit to Harold, naturally Godwine can't.”

Eadmund nodded slowly, rubbing the soft flaxen hairs on his chin and cheeks. His eyes looked hollow, but at least they weren't teary. “I had hoped to see my brother in a day or two. Still, it is not so far to Irland.” Wulfstan nodded knowingly, pulled his bowl back toward him. Gladdened by this new information, much better than being left in the dark, the others relaxed and dug ravenously into their meals.

An hour later night had fallen. The men had gone off one by one to find spots in the barracks, bellies warm and full, eyelids heavy. Some of the sailors slept too while others had gone down into the town to see if they could find a woman or two. The dining table and chairs in the hall were removed, replaced with a bed. “It's a small enough fort,” Wulfstan had explained. “This is the only real bed in the place, and it's mine...well, tonight it's lord Eadmund's.”

Only Wulfstan and Eadward still sat up by the embers in the kitchen. Whatever body part was turned away from the fire got cold fast, so they kept turning and shifting. “My God, no disrespect to our lord Eadmund, but I wish I was in that bed, and with one of the village girls under the covers. I know one down there, fat tits like a cow's udders. Beautiful.”

Eadward grimaced at the vulgarity, but he bore it. He had a feeling Wulfstan used humor when he was ill at ease. What was he hiding here? Wulfstan shifted his body, Eadward had to turn his head to see him with his one eye. Wulfstan coughed. “Honestly I would sleep now, I've been up and at it all day, but I've grown so used to a bed. I figure I won't be able to fall asleep at all unless I'm more tired.”

“Sensible,” Eadward nodded. “Reminds me of the aftermath of the battle. The Norse didn't beat us, but we did have to march carrying more than fifty pounds of supplies all day, with our bruises and wounds.”

Wulfstan sat, silent. He took a flask out of his coat pocket, a cousin of the coxswain's. He took a sip, grimaced, handed it to Eadward. “It doesn't sit well with me, the earl's turning cloak.”

“Nor should it,” Eadward shook his head, drank, gasped. “I can tell anyway, you are a man of honor.”

“Honor....” Wulfstan took the flask back. “Honor gets men killed, you know.”

Eadward shrugged. “Death in honor gets a man remembered, and the love of God in the hereafter. Life in dishonor is immeasurably worse.”

Wulfstan said nothing, took two sips. “I-I'd come with you to Irland, if you'll have me.” Eadward's eyes widened, he sat up straighter. What was this? He said nothing, only took the flask from Wulfstan and closed it. “I've said too much already.” Wulfstan made to stand.

Eadward grabbed his sleeve and tugged him down. “You haven't said anything untoward.” He patted the man's arm. “Come now, you'd truly honor us by coming to us with Irland?”

“Honor...you?”

Eadward nodded. “All the men in my lord Eadmund's service are honest. You would only add to our honor by being another honest man under arms with us. As Earl Eadwine has broken his feudal ties with England's rightful cing, I see no reason not to accept you.” Eadward stared into the man's face, silently begging the secret to come out.

Wulfstan looked down, then up, then down again, mouth working. “I—I—I have something to tell you...which you will not like. It's—just rumors, that I've heard, that one of the men here heard, understand. It's hard to credit, probably nothing, but...you...you know how our lord is....”

Eadward peered at the man, amazed at his emotion. Wulfstan's face was red as a beet, and he could not look Eadward in the eye. “By God, Wulfstan, what is it?”

“Ahem, it is, the rumor that is, is that Earl Eadwine somehow, ah, k-killed Cing Godwine, and—”

A crash and splintering wood. Eadward stood, heaving cold breaths. He saw his stool was gone. He looked back and saw heaped legs and the broken disc of its seat. A guard blundered into the room holding a spear in front of him. He stared at the two men, confused.

“Nothing, Aethelstan. My guest's stool broke. How many times do I have to tell you to keep everything here in good repair?”

Aethelstan blinked rapidly. “Uh, my apologies commander.” He rushed into the room and gathered the broken pieces. “I'll have it fixed up, and all the others checked.” The commander just nodded and Aethelstan hustled out, glad to avoid another tongue lashing. Now Wulfstan looked to Eadward.

“No!” Eadward breathed, still in shock.

“As I told you, a rumor, very hard to credit. Just a possibility, much as I hate to think of it. I didn't want to say anything in front of lord Eadmund. Even after knowing him five minutes I could tell, he loves his brother very much.”

Eadward nodded absently, eyes still wide. “They are no Cain and Abel. The very opposite. I've served the House of Godwine twenty years now and I can tell you, the only unfraternal one was Tostig, the traitor.” Eadward chewed his cheek, trying to absorb what he'd just heard. “Where is this man who heard the rumor? I must speak to him.”

Wulfstan shook his head morosely. “I overstepped my reach. I made inquiries with some reeves, abbots, and the like. Soon enough word got back to Earl Eadwine. A few days later the man was gone. Deserted or taken...I know not. For letting a secret out or spreading vicious gossip...I know not. I hope to God it is not true.”

Eadward stood, thought. “When was this, that you heard the rumor?”

Wulfstan shrugged. “Maybe a week after the battle. The battle was a Sunday, right? I know the man came to me after mass the following Sunday. He must have felt guilty with the information.”

“The battle was Monday, the day after, but no matter. Where did he hear the information?”

“I asked, but he could not say. I had a feeling he made it up, this man was a bit odd,” Wulfstan spread his hands. “What could I do, torture him?”

Eadward shook his head and passed his hand over his eyes. “What a blow you have dealt me, Wulfstan.” Eadward made his decision at that moment. This man would obviously serve well if he would reveal such information. “I will ask lord Eadmund for you to accompany us. I'm sure he will say yes. You are too brutally honest, and a true Aengliscman.” Eadward clasped his shoulder briefly in camaraderie. “Now get some rest, you have a lot of rowing to do tomorrow, and we'll make sure you pull your weight.”​

And the plot thickens! Interesting chapter... Next one: "Road Trip: Irland Edition"?

Eadwine: "Yeees, when Godwine comes back." *Remembering his hard-on while watching the boy-king dancing from the end of a rope.* "Good times, good times..."
"Hey Cing Godwine, flee with me!"
"So we can escape the Norse and save the cingdom?"
"Yeeeeees...."
Actually murders his own cing LIKE A BOSS

13. Acrobatics
Acrobatics
Prince Olav sat easily in the saddle, beaming for show, bundled against the chill. The road was lined by retainers and citizens peering at the moving column they could now see not far away. He turned his head to the right and said, “I wish I was out touring the country.”

Pal Thorfinnsson, jarl of Orkneyjar, shrugged. “There are some tasks too important to be left to simple jarls. You'll certainly make an impression on the jarl of Mersia. I think you'll have exactly the effect our konungr wants you to make.”

Olav shook his head, sighed through his nose. “Still it rankles, letting Eysteinn and Erlend have all the fun.”

“The city girls are better than country girls anyway,” Pal said with a grin.

Olav scoffed. “I didn't mean that! I wanted to take a good look at our new konungsriki, meet some of these Enska reeves and thanes, or...thegns,” he strained out, with an accent.

“Fair enough,” Pal nodded. “You are thinking like a man indeed, my prince, not like a boy. I see also your learning of the Enska tongue is going well enough.”

Olav's showcase smile became real. He'd learned as a toddler how disarming his white-toothed smile could be, especially against women, and men with children. Still he smiled without ulterior motive often, unlike his father who hardly smiled at all. “Is it indeed? Better for us all then. These will be my subjects one day.”

Pal looked forward and nodded, “There comes a subject now.”

Olav looked along the road and could now make out the plain, mild face of Eadwin of Mersia. Behind him followed a hundred riders, well-fed and with great fur cloaks. Eadwin rode up until he was a few yards away and stopped, bowing in the saddle. “My lord, Prince Olav, I have come to declare my fealty to the cing of Anglaland, Harold Sigurdson.”

“Earl Eadwine,” Olav said in Enska by way of greeting. Remembering his instructions he went on, not making things easy for the jarl. “You come to Lunden at the head of an armed band. Last I saw you, you faced the forces of Cing Harold on the field of battle. Last the cing's men saw you, you were fleeing with the false cing, Godwine Haroldson. How do you come to declare fealty, then?” Olav flicked his eyes to the spectators lining the road, saw them impressed by his decent grasp on their language.

Eadwin smiled easily, drew his sword slowly and threw it down onto the road between their horses. “My sword is yours. I am not the first man to have made a mistake, or to have gambled and lost. Surely men lose their shirts at dice every night?” He grinned at the laughs this elicited from the crowd. “I beg your cing father's mercy. I've come here of my will when I could have remained obstinate and remote in my earldom. Does that not tell you much?”

Olav nodded. “I hope this indicates that you will gamble no longer.” He let time pass for his meaning to sink in to the jarl and the crowd. He dropped his voice so only Eadwin and Pal could hear. “Where then is the false cing?”

Eadwin looked down, made a correction to his bridle. “Unfortunately he has, uh, escaped. Taken ship...to Irland, I think,” he said quietly.

Great. And Godwin's brothers who had escaped from Lunden had probably joined him by now. Olav frowned. They could scarce afford an escapade to Irland just now, or paying of ransom to some canny Irska konungr. Well, one thing at a time. They had to get control of the country first. “That is quite unfortunate. Well, there's nothing to be done just this moment about it.” Olav called out so all could hear, “Come then, my good earl, let us arrange your swearing of fealty to the cing.”

A ragged cheer rose from the crowd, happy that there would be no fighting today, and that war and destruction had left Lunden untouched thus far.​
The guests clapped and smiled, watching the dancers spin and flourish their brightly dyed skirts and blouses in the dim, smoky hall. Ribald jokes were shouted over the music of flutes and fiddles. Suddenly acrobats burst onto the scene, tumbling and cartwheeling to delighted exclamations. Everyone was smiling and laughing, eyes on the spectacle, so Olav could smile with them and look around casually, taking in what he could.

Much of his attention was on Eadwin, the greatest threat to their power and the stability of their new realm. But others bore watching. A few of the greater thanes that had come with them from Northwegr were restless at their inactivity. They wanted to move, raid and plunder, then sail home in the spring. An even more radical faction were intent on departing for home as soon as possible, mostly men with lands and families near to Samar areas who feared raids while they were away.

The restless would damage their konungr's reputation badly if they engaged in raiding in his new konungsriki. The ones who wanted to leave would damage his authority. They had known what they were signing up for, he had been forthcoming about everything, they should have thought of the Samar menace before joining. Both groups must be trounced.

How to kill two birds with one stone? Olav snorted in laughter when the guests to his right laughed at something, took a sip of ale as he pretended to listen. He looked left across where his father sat, to Eadwin at the second place of honor. A clear message was sent by Olav occupying the primary place of honor. Olav decided to drink more and get sociable.

He was lolling in his chair, a dancing girl on his lap, listening to a Rogaland thane only a few years older than himself, and his tale of the battle. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed his father heave a great sigh and stand, contented that he'd done his duty and remained long enough. Father was mostly one for action and sleep, not sitting around doing nothing as he'd term this. Well, Olav knew it was not nothing.

With a smile he thanked the nameless thane for his bravery and excused himself. He kissed the girl on the cheek and whispered a few words into her ear, pinching her cheek as she blushed. He slid from the seat and over to the throne his father had just vacated. “I hope you are enjoying yourself, Earl Eadwine?” he hummed in their tongue.

“Mmm, very much, my prince,” Eadwin nodded. The man was sitting back, belt loosened from the feast, picking his teeth. He had barely drank any ale.

“Hard to cook up such a feast on the road, isn't it?” Olav smiled, shaking his head. “I don't know if it was worse for us in the ships sailing over than for you riding hard through winter country, but it could hardly have been better.” Eadwin murmured, clearly not a flatterer. “I am curious, my lord, you are young, right? Not as young as myself, and not inexperienced, but not an old man like my father!”

“Hm,” Eadwin grunted laughter at the prince making fun of his own father. “No indeed. I'm twenty-eight years old, my prince. I've seen enough bloodshed, certainly.”

“Yet you've taken no wife?” Olav raised his eyebrow and tilted his head. “I know that as soon as we are well settled here we will be seeking a wife for me. My brother already has a woman back home, though not married. She's not noble enough.”

Eadwin laughed. “And better that he not wed her. I can tell you, I've had hundreds of girls and they're all silly. They may well give fine sons...you yourself are the son of a concubine, right?...but they will not make good wives for a nobleman. Noble girls can think politically, be of great help to you, that's what you need.”

Olav was somewhat taken aback by this frankness from the jarl. “What of you then, won't you take a wife?”

“Yes,” Eadwin groaned and slapped his distended belly, full of food. “But I do want a great, noble woman. Perhaps the daughter of a king.” He glanced at Olav sharply.

Olav stroked his chin thoughtfully, appearing to consider. He thought, This man is sharper than he seems! He may threaten war if he doesn't get one of my sisters! How can I turn the conversation around? “Hmm, there are many kings in these isles, are there not? Your sister Ealdgyth was married to one, the king of the Wealas, ah, Gruffydd,” Olav struggled around the difficult name. “We were disappointed to see she fled with her husband's sons.”

Eadwin narrowed his eyes at this turn to the conversation. “Dead husband, yes. I am sure the little bastards took her by force. For the past ten years we...now only I...have been at odds with the House of Godwine. My sister's wedding to Gruffydd gave us an ally, prevented my father from losing his titles to Godwine and his whelps like the other earls did.”

“Hm. Then Gruffydd died and you wed her to Harold to keep the peace.”

“That's it,” Eadwin nodded. “And despite my dislike for the man and his entire family, she actually liked him, and I like to see her happy.” He stared at the empty plate in front of him. Suddenly he screwed his face up and stared at Olav. “Why do you interrogate me like this?”

Olav raised his eyebrows, opened his eyes wide, affected the innocent look he did so well. “I interrogate not at all. I love my sisters as well, that's all. It must rankle that Harold's bastards took her away, for she clearly would have awaited you here.” Olav had no idea of the truth of the matter, perhaps Ealdgyth was even friends with her step-sons, but it wouldn't do for Eadwin to think so.

“Yes,” Eadwin growled. “It rankles indeed. And I have not the strength to invade Difelin, the place whose Irisc scum king hosts the abductors and their prisoner.”

Olav thought rapidly. This was new information that Eadwin thought was common knowledge. “Really! We were only talking some days ago...but...well, surely I can trust you with our confidences? You are now our greatest vassal.” Olav realized at Eadwin's unsure frown that he was pushing the innocence too hard, that Eadwin was suspicious. “Or rather not...we keep our matters private.”

Eadwin shrugged, “Do as you will.” Clearly he was curious now. “In matters concerning Difelin and the Irisc, though, I can be of much help.”

“Well, true enough then,” Olav nodded. “I know about twenty years ago was a great battle for Difelin, and the Irisc won and drove out the Norse cings who had paid some tribute to good old Cnut. If we had your support—even your leadership!—we would be secure enough here to assert our rights in Irland.”

“Leadership?” Eadwin growled. “How do you mean?”

“That's what I mean,” Olav waved his hand. “Leadership. We are supporting you in rescuing your sister. The honor of our new cingdom is at stake when its premier earl's family is so mistreated.” Olav didn't complicate his appeal by explaining it would also provide an aggressive outlet for the restless thanes, and take the homesick thanes even farther fromflight to home.

“No doubt your thegns would not allow me to command them?” Eadwin asked, eyes narrowed.

Olav smiled, shook his head slowly. “That is not possible, no, but our commanders would follow you.” Eadwin tapped his cheek pensively. Olav took a few sips of ale, gazed over the crowd at the revelry that was in places dying out, dancers and acrobats seated sweating and gulping drink, or degenerating into actions that would soon have to be moved to bedrooms. Olav took another few sips. He shook his head, slurred, “The lust of men is untempered by shame.”

“Huh?”

Olav shrugged, thrust his arm in front of him a little too sloppily, “I look at this scene and ask myself how many of the girls here were once innocent daughters and sisters. Here now in what is, to them, a foreigner's court. Even a noblewoman wouldn't be safe without a protector.” He shrugged again, rolled his shoulders drunkenly. “I'm perhaps too philosophical.” He drank from his cup and watched from the corner of his eye as Eadwin fidgeted and ran his hands through his hair. He hadn't dared mention Ealdgyth's beauty and youth directly. He knew Eadwin was smart enough to see the connection, and smart enough to have realized Olav's manipulation if he had been direct.

Eadwin frowned sourly, fidgeted even more. “I wouldn't drink so much, were I you, my prince. You don't think on your words, and ale is not so good for growing boys!”

Olav chuckled, “I could hardly grow more!” He stood to his full height, tottering, but towering over the seated jarl. “A-anyway you are right, Earl Eadwine. I'm off to bed,” he hiccuped and staggered off decently enough.

When he rounded the corner of the hall Olav, quite sober, started bounding. Hah! The seed had been planted. If the factions and the jarl could be kept sated until spring, an adventure in Irland would come that none would forget, and more glory would be owned by his family. He took the stairs three at a time, he'd kept the girl waiting long enough.​

How much power dies hardrada's dynasty have in the British isles at this time and going forward. It my take a decade to bring harald hardrada's larger realm in to order.

So I see a problem, Hadrada had with him in his invasion force Norse-Gaels from Dublin, along with Men from Sudreyjar and Mann.

Hell, Magnus Haraldsson even tried to put a member of the Ui Imair Dynasty on the Throne of Dublin using a fleet from Norway and the Isles in 1058. The previously mentioned Gruffydd Ap Llywelyn of Wales even tried to help him in doing so. He ultimately failed, but some of the commanders in Hadrada's Invasion force in 1066 were a part of this force.

I do not see commanders hailing from the Area to be invaded in Spring taking orders for a Mercian Eorl. Not without some serious discontent at any rate. . .

How much power dies hardrada's dynasty have in the British isles at this time and going forward. It my take a decade to bring harald hardrada's larger realm in to order.
Oh definitely. They have power in Orkney of course, some fans in the Isles and the old Danelaw, kind-of-fealty from Scotland. Other than that they don't have much power. As you say it will take years of community-building to assert their rule over England.
So I see a problem, Hadrada had with him in his invasion force Norse-Gaels from Dublin, along with Men from Sudreyjar and Mann.

Hell, Magnus Haraldsson even tried to put a member of the Ui Imair Dynasty on the Throne of Dublin using a fleet from Norway and the Isles in 1058. The previously mentioned Gruffydd Ap Llywelyn of Wales even tried to help him in doing so. He ultimately failed, but some of the commanders in Hadrada's Invasion force in 1066 were a part of this force.

I do not see commanders hailing from the Area to be invaded in Spring taking orders for a Mercian Eorl. Not without some serious discontent at any rate. . .
Indeed. The Norse-Gaels will at least be happy to face off against the Irish who drove their supremacy out of Dublin, won't they? As far as there being trouble between them and a friendless Mercian earl...maybe that's Prince Olaf's whole idea....

14. Refuge
Refuge
“...and may Christ watch over us, and over Cing Harold and Ealdgyth's unborn child, and over Cing Godwine wherever he may be. Amen.” Eadward One-Eye rose stiffly from his knees, brushing them clean. He remained, head bowed, for a moment before turning leaving the chapel.

Stone floor gave way to a wood terrace overlooking the muddy yard. He squinted up at the silver-grey sky, looked down where Wulfstan was battering Magnus and Ulf at swordplay. Eadward snorted, thinking again how fortunate they were to have picked up Wulfstan, a veteran commander and trainer of men. Almost a month now, most days he was in the yard teaching Eadmund, Magnus, and Ulf, and improving the skills of the other men in their mission. Often the Difeliners would join in. Wulfstan's presence improved their skills but at the same time was more valuable in staving off boredom and, worse, hopelessness. With training on combat the men thought less of their situation and gained confidence in their prowess. Unfortunately Eadward was too sharp to be so easily comforted.

Eadward heard steps behind him and turned his head more than halfway around to see out his one eye. Eadmund had joined him. In the past couple of weeks Eadmund had been increasingly involved in spending time with Cing Murchad of Difelin and his court. In his position swordplay was for children. Every day without news of Godwine saw him more hollow-eyed and frowning.

“My lord,” Eadward said.

“Eadward, how goes it?” Eadmund glanced over the combat below.

“Well, my lord. It doesn't rain or sleet every day here as it does back home. The chapel was packed today, I was one of the last to get inside.”

Eadmund chewed his cheek. “We all have much to pray for.”

God, he's so young, Eadward thought, and under much strain. “Do not worry, my lord. We suffer now, but our effort will not go in vain.”

Eadmund nodded distractedly, still looking down into the yard. “Where would we go come spring, Eadward? Cing Murchad will not afford or desire for us to overstay our welcome, unless...he will not let us overstay our welcome.”

Eadward blew his breath out in a disappointed sigh, but truly he was not surprised. There was only so long three foreign princes and dozens of retainers could remain in a smaller realm like Difelin. He nodded, “We're driving the price of meat here up as it is. I expect many a merchant used to beef through the winter will be getting by with turnips and porridge. If we don't leave by spring Murchad would be facing rebellion.”

Eadmund snarled. “Still, this....”

Eadward patted the boy on the shoulder. “I know, my lord. It's hard. What's this 'unless'?”

Now Eadmund grimaced. “Cing Murchad proposes that Gytha wed Domnall.”

Eadward considered this. Domnall wasn't a bad sort. A decent warrior who spent much time traveling around the lands of his father Murchad, cing of Difelin, and his grandfather Diarmait, cing of Laigen. The other lords of Irland, and the chiefs and headmen owing loyalty to Murchad and Diarmait, were growing wary of their power. Still....

“I don't think that is a good thing, my lord.” Eadward explained his reasoning, “Wedding Domnall to your family is not bad in itself. He's a good man and the cing of Difelin is a prestigious enough alliance. However Murchad will still face supply issues, no doubt by spring our men will be brawling over his men for women and space...regardless we will have to leave, or aid Murchad in conquering another slice of Irland and thus become tied up in affairs here. Once that happens, we'll have men desert us, and those of us left have a slim chance of ever seeing home.”

Eadmund nodded, taking that in. “I knew it wasn't a good deal to accept. Where else could we go?”

Eadward stroked his beard, thinking. “Certainly nowhere else small, like elsewhere in Irland. Scotland is much too isolated, surrounded on all sides by lands beholden to Northweg. Denemearc...Denemearc is a possibility, its cing has no love for Harold Hard-Ruler surely. They have been at war most of the past twenty years. He will be well positioned to hit Harold where it hurts, while Harold is off wasting men and treasure to pacify your brother's cingdom.”

“Cing Sweyn has a claim to Anglaland though, being the nephew of Cnut. If we sought refuge there he could host us, pretend to help Godwine regain his cingdom, then with his superior, already organized army in our realm simply take the crown.”

“He could...” Eadward hummed. “He could, if we let him. If we let him think that was a possibility, extract as much time, as many resources as possible, from him, then return to Anglaland without him, we don't take that risk.”

Eadmund raised his eyebrows. “That is a possibility.” He furrowed his brow, thinking of other sanctuary nearby. “And Normandig?”

Eadward shrugged. “In chaos. Their earls—comtes, as they'd say—bishops, and barons are in conflict over control of the bastard duke's underage son. However it is a rich land...we could support ourselves as allies of one side or another. We'd be closer to home, and any news from there. We could recruit Breton and Flemish and Norman mercenaries and adventurers to help regain the cingdom, and without the threat Sweyn poses.”

Eadmund looked thoughtful. “Funny, the realm of the man who caused my father's death should perhaps host us. As well my uncle Wulfnoth and cousin Hacon, son of my uncle Sweyn who died in exile, are in Normandig, prisoners of the duke. I never knew them.”

“We know not how Aenglisc they even are anymore. Wulfnoth became hostage while still a boy, right?”

“It doesn't matter,” Eadmund shook his head. “They are family, we must take care of them. We aren't Norse, murdering our kin or allowing them to languish in prison in foreign lands. They will be loyal and beholden to Godwine for freeing them and creating them nobles in his cingdom. The only earl left now is that traitor Eadwine. Godwine will need new earls, who better but his brothers, his only living uncle, and his cousin Hacon?”

“That is sound reasoning, my lord. In any case any man can learn Aenglisc. After Latin it is the best language in the world, all know that.” Eadward turned and gripped the wood railing, savoring the grainy wood under his callused palms and fingers. He savored the feeling of relief and action, that they might have a plan ahead through their trials. “Have you decided then, my lord?”

“I will discuss it with my mother.” Though Ealdgyth was the Haroldsons' stepmother, Cing Harold had forced them to call her mother, and eventually they had grown to love her and so it was natural. “Naturally the final decision will come from Godwine. I'll go see her now.”

Eadward sighed heavily, relief gone. It seemed darker clouds obscured the sky. The most important part had been left unsaid: IF Godwine turns up.​

Last edited:
An interesting video on the similarities between Old English and Old Norse, and how it wouldn't be too hard for two typical speakers of each to understand each other and have a conversation.

I'm actually surprised that Robert Guiscard hasn't shown up in Normandy with enough Veteran Troops from Southern Italy to become Regent.

It's exactly the sort of power grab he would do. . .

Last edited:
Technically pre Conquest an English Earl was more like a Duke than a Count.
If I'm comparing England to France, but I'm more comparing England to Normandy. Yes Normandy's smaller and with (I think?) a smaller population, but it's a more even comparison than with France.
I'm actually surprised that Robert Guiscard hasn't shown up in Normandy with enough Veteran Troops from Southern Italy to become Regent.

It's exactly the sort of power grab he would do. . .
Eh, not really, he's shrewder than that. He built his life and fortune in the Mediterranean, and at this time he was in the middle of the conquest of the island of Sicily. It would be insane to drop it all to travel halfway across the known world to an uncertain situation, in which he doesn't really know all the players, in which he has no base of support, in which he has to contend with at the very least the dukes of Brittany, Champagne, and Flanders. Certainly his men wouldn't follow him. They're content in the southern Italian power vacuum the Normans had been growing powerful in for decades.

15. A Long Journey
A Long Journey
Though his mother had taught him not to pray for the end of minor inconveniences, Eadgar still found himself making a quick prayer of thanks that the water leg of their voyage was at an end. Even at their relatively quick pace it had taken a little more than a month to travel across the Channel to Normandig, berth on a trader to Bremen, then a barge up the Weser, Aller, Leine, Innerste, and even smaller rivers, to Goslar.

The barge voyage had been cramped and, in a way, exhausting. Used to almost regal accommodations, Eadgar and his womenfolk found life on ships and barges almost untenable. In the Channel every moment they were tossed this way and that, it was difficult to determine whether being on your feet or in a hammock was worse. On the rivers everything was moist, slimy, and cold. On neither was there a fire to warm them, so they remained wrapped in their fine cloaks and blankets which soon became greasy.

The sailors up to Bremen were respectful and calm, all knew of the old line of Westseaxe. But the vulgar Saxons of Bremen made quick trouble for Eadgar's beautiful sisters. Their mother Agatha quickly led them all to the bishop's residence where the absentee archbishop of Hamburg's governor sympathized with them and signed an official letter of safe-conduct for the emperor's kin. Any commoner violating the safe-conduct would soon be staring death in the face.

From then on the travel was uneventful and boring. Village after village of grey, leafless trees; brown, empty fields; and pale, busy peasants preparing for winter passed by. Once onto the Aller especially the voyage became sluggish and listless. The boatmen poled the barge in unison with chants or hymns but it usually felt like they were not moving at all.

Now it was finally over. The boatmen fell over each other in haste to help them with their meager luggage, gazing longingly at Margaret and Cristina. The travelers made a beeline for the large, princely inn near the cathedral, with the imperial residence squatting impressively not far away. The inn's courtyard hosted a raging bonfire they were quick to heat themselves with.

Eadgar marched into the inn and with rough German managed to get the innkeeper to understand he was a kinsman of the emperor. A runner went off to the imperial residence. Soon a fine carriage arrived and they embarked. The servants were surprised at their almost non-existent luggage but it would soon be known they were basically refugees.

Once at the palace a steward with the quintessentially German name of Poppo showed them their extravagant accommodations, commented they must be exhausted, and in any case the emperor was deliberating on a political crisis at the moment and would have to see them tomorrow. They thanked the man, glad in any case they would have time to compose themselves before meeting the emperor. Eadgar could hardly keep his eyes open as he bathed. He let the bath attendants dry him. His last thought before drifting off to sleep was how comfortable it was, to lay in a fine, real bed, and in fine dry pajamas as comfortable as a bed themselves.​
The next day found Eadgar strolling the palace grounds with his kinsman. He breathed in deeply. After the stuffy air and somewhat gamy odor in the halls of the palace it was refreshing to feel the crisp, cold air and clean scent of the gardens. The lawns were seas of blindingly white snow. Bushes, hedges, and trees were misshapen lumps of taller snow.

“I am glad your travel was not harsh,” Emperor Henrik was saying in German, slowly, so Eadgar could understand. He smoothed his dark brown mane of hair. “Many a healthy man catches sick in the Saxon swamps this time of year, and dies of it.”

“We are glad of it too, kaiser,” Eadgar said roughly. “We prayed every day for safe delivery to you.”

“Hmmm, yes, and I can see why you came. Your mother is renowned for her piety even now, over a decade after she left my father's court. Hopefully she can drag my older sister back to court. I need all the help I can get.”

Eadgar took a few steps before answering, measuring his words. “We are yours to command, kaiser. We would help you any way we can, which befits our honor and noble station. God knows I will not forget your sanctuary when I regain the kingdom that was stolen from me.”

Henrik winced at his rough accent, and stopped walking. But then he turned to Eadgar, eyes twinkling. “That is great to hear, cousin. For now I have need in my realm of honest men I can trust, not the—” his face twisted into a sneer “—nasty schemers I have become accustomed to. My entire upbringing was a long embezzlement of imperial funds.” He turned and began walking again suddenly. “I am a pious man,” he bowed his head and looked to heaven, “but I say, beware clergymen, cousin. They are for the most part a greedy, selfish lot.”

Eadgar was shocked at these words but tried not to make his feelings known. He nodded slowly, as if absorbing a deep lesson. They walked in silence a bit and Eadgar realized that although his kinsman was not much older than he, the breadth of their experience could perhaps be measured in decades. From childhood Eadgar had generally been a minor threat or annoyance to those in power, though much loved by his mother and sisters. His mother had told him that Henrik's father, like Eadgar's, died before his cognizance. Thereupon Henrik immediately became emperor and was the focus of vast schemes and conspiracies. For years his mother cared for him and tried to rule in his best interest, but in the end a cabal of nobles led by Archbishop Anno of Cologne actually abducted him and ruled in his stead for two years. Henrik attained majority little more than two years ago and was struggling mightily to rebuild the imperial power that had eroded over the past decade. Eadgar realized that Henrik could be speaking out of personal bitterness toward the archbishop...but whether the words regarding all clergymen were true or not, there was a lesson to be learned here.

Eadgar cleared his throat and spoke up. “I know well of selfish clergymen. We told you this morning of Stigand of Cantwaraburg.”

Henrik growled. “Ahhh yes, that bastard. He and Anno are the two of them bastards, birthed from the same bitch no doubt. My greatest fear is Anno will rot to death of old age before I make him suffer somehow.”

Eadgar nodded vigorously. “Same with me for Stigand. Even if it were not me doing it, it would be acceptable. I'd like for him to regret to death that he betrayed me for the Norse bastard.”

Henrik shook his head. “Anno needs to know it was me. Stigand betrayed you once. Anno took me prisoner and plundered my realm for years. I will somehow get him to pay.”

They had stopped in the garden and were brooding together, each in his own thoughts. After a while a servant came, sent by Poppo, saying that supper was ready.​
Hello there, thank you all for your patience! I've been very busy with work and other things, but I'm back at it.