Terres Australes | Alternative World Thread by Substantial_Habit

What's the reason he chose to renounce his place in the line of succession?
He expressed his desire to retreat from the media and public eye. However, there are -allegedly- reports of his involvement in some legal issues, and there is speculation about him having an eight-year-old extramarital daughter.

He expressed his desire to retreat from the media and public eye. However, there are -allegedly- reports of his involvement in some legal issues, and there is speculation about him having an eight-year-old extramarital daughter.
I was honestly wondering that it might be that he was completely 100% gay (Kinsey 6).

Port-aux-Français wiki article
ueFw6nx.png

Last edited:
Hey guys! I've decided to update Kerguelen's climate map to make it a bit more realistic (still not as cold as it would be irl tho). As you see, now there is a bigger continental zone in the eastern part of the country, and the semi-arid steppe climate was changed in the Gallieni Plateau and the north of the island. I will update the previous posts dealing with climate little by little. (If you have suggestions or think something is absolutely unrealistic climate wise please let me know!!)
climatekerguelen.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys! I've decided to update Kerguelen's climate map to make it a bit more realistic (still not as cold as it would be irl tho). As you see, now there is a bigger continental zone in the eastern part of the country, and the semi-arid steppe climate was changed in the Gallieni Plateau and the north of the island. I will update the previous posts dealing with climate little by little. (If you have suggestions or think something is absolutely unrealistic climate wise please let me know!!)
climatekerguelen.jpg
Interesting to see Kerguelen tundra. Tundra without reideers, without muskoxes and polar foxes....
Interesting, who inhabits these tundra

This leads to the geologic question, which is the Natural History of Kerguelen?
1) Still attached to Antarctica and Gondwanaland at the beginning of the age of Mammals (OTL Australia)
2) Split from Antarctica and Gondwanaland before the age of Mammals (OTL New Zealand)
3) brought forth entirely from the hotspot and thus never had connections (OTL Hawaii)
4) Attached to India and split from *that* as India headed north.

Interesting to see Kerguelen tundra. Tundra without reideers, without muskoxes and polar foxes....
Interesting, who inhabits these tundra
1) Still attached to Antarctica and Gondwanaland at the beginning of the age of Mammals (OTL Australia)
2) Split from Antarctica and Gondwanaland before the age of Mammals (OTL New Zealand)
3) brought forth entirely from the hotspot and thus never had connections (OTL Hawaii)
I already made a post about the biodiversity of Kerguelen! I'll quote it below:

Finally, a brief overview of the flora and fauna of Kerguelen. Thank you for you patience dear watchers!!
(Please note that I'm not an expert in biology. However, I tried to make the biodiversity of Kerguelen as realistic as possible, while incuding all the species that I had in mind )

kergu_ecolog.jpg

Geologically Kerguelen is located on the Antarctic plate. The Kerguelean Hotspot formed following the breakup of Godwana about 130 million years ago, when Australia/Antarctica separated from India. Most of the current landmass owes its origin to the separation of Australia and Antarctica though around 80 Ma.
2304163.png

Geologically Kerguelen is located on the Antarctic plate. The Kerguelean Hotspot formed following the breakup of Godwana about 130 million years ago, when Australia/Antarctica separated from India. Most of the current landmass owes its origin to the separation of Australia and Antarctica though around 80 Ma.
2304163.png
So sort of a mix of the scenarios. The initial land from the hotspot might have close enough to Antarctica to get land animals *just* before the heavy cooldown as the drake Passage opened up....

Decent size, close to Western Australia and probably has about as much "habitable" land as WA. And *someone* is going to import Kangaroos. :)
There's a good chance they'd have native marsupials. On another note, New Gelderland would be directly antipodal to the Southern U.S., you may not be able to dig from the U.S. to China (though you could from Argentina), but you can dig a hole to New Gelderland (if it were possible). Same applies to Kerguelen, for that matter, the northern part of which would be antipodal to Montana.

There's a good chance they'd have native marsupials. On another note, New Gelderland would be directly antipodal to the Southern U.S., you may not be able to dig from the U.S. to China (though you could from Argentina), but you can dig a hole to New Gelderland (if it were possible). Same applies to Kerguelen, for that matter, the northern part of which would be antipodal to Montana.
True! I hadn't realised!! Most of Kerguelen is antipodal to Western Canada and the Northwestern USA. New Gelderland just to small places in Georgia and the Carolinas though, but still nice.

antipodes.png

True! I hadn't realised!! Most of Kerguelen is antipodal to Western Canada and the Northwestern USA. New Gelderland just to small places in Georgia and the Carolinas though, but still nice.

antipodes.png
This map seems a bit off. Kerguelen is antipodal to the tripoint area around Montana, Alberta and Saskatchewan and New Gelderland is antipodal to the gulf coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle and then up into Georgia.