WI battlecruiser HMS Tiger gets a refit and battles through WW 2?

Would a refitted Hood and therefore more industrial work done pre war not also speed up the KVG class building? This could easily mean a fully worked up PoW....

The problem is you have 3 options just after Jutland,
1- Keep building hood with minor changes
2- Redesign fully for a new better ship
3- Stop capital ship building and divert to ASW or land use.

You are suggesting no2 but I think that's the worse option short term for WWI, as it will not get you a working ship until far to late unless WWI last much longer, on the other hand It does get you a better ship for the WNT.

No1 would also with hindsight not get you a good ship and it will be late so the worse option with hindsight.

No3 would be the one I picked as I think the money, workers & metal could be spent far better ASW sloops that are ready for WWI, and the savings would also put you in a better position come WNT as you would get 3 new ships or even more if GB was willing to pay for them.

With hindsight post Jutland cancel Hood and just lay down 4 G3s with a bit more urgency due to not having any ships laid down since R&R, if you have them building come WNT you might very well get all 4 to compensate for the US 16" ships and the old ships you have.
But that's a world without Hood..
Heresy

Any thoughts on the battle itself. I've mixed it with OTL, but with the RN forces approching at less of a steep angle allowing them to bring all their guns to bare sooner (which would increase accuracy). The formation for the RN forces is also basically the same, the Hood leading (as she's basically the most combat ready ship) then the brand new and un-worked up PoW and Tiger astern. I was tempted to put her at the front but that could be viewed as criminal, putting a ship that simply is the weakest capital ship in RN service in the lead against a modern and much larger opponent. Which is why the Tiger's plodding along at the rear. I've kept the number of hits down, the weather on the day was miserable as were the gunnery conditions for the RN ships on the approach, but once the range drops the hits do start to go up but not massively so.

Any thoughts on the battle itself. I've mixed it with OTL, but with the RN forces approching at less of a steep angle allowing them to bring all their guns to bare sooner (which would increase accuracy). The formation for the RN forces is also basically the same, the Hood leading (as she's basically the most combat ready ship) then the brand new and un-worked up PoW and Tiger astern. I was tempted to put her at the front but that could be viewed as criminal, putting a ship that simply is the weakest capital ship in RN service in the lead against a modern and much larger opponent. Which is why the Tiger's plodding along at the rear. I've kept the number of hits down, the weather on the day was miserable as were the gunnery conditions for the RN ships on the approach, but once the range drops the hits do start to go up but not massively so.
Well, presuming Norfolk and Suffolk are shadowing Bismarck as OTL, she is likely to run right into them
With POW and Tiger closing in Bismarck is in a trap, and if Hood kills PE in time, she could join the fight if she can catch up
Consider this, however.
When it came to fighting Lutzens had a tendency to go for the older ship
At DS he went for Hood
And at Bismarcks last stand, he went for Rodney(big mistake!)
So he might try to take out Tiger, as it is pretty clear she's no cruiser

So far the discussion has completely neglected the other 13.5" gunned capital ship in the Royal Navy that survived until WW2 besides HMS Iron Duke. HMS Centurion lasted long enough to be scuttled as a block ship for the Normandie landings.

So far the discussion has completely neglected the other 13.5" gunned capital ship in the Royal Navy that survived until WW2 besides HMS Iron Duke. HMS Centurion lasted long enough to be scuttled as a block ship for the Normandie landings.
Simply because, they are too slow.
An Iron Duke is about as useful in WW2 as a Revenge, which were useless(not completly, but nearly)
Although it is a little bit more flexible..

When it came to fighting Lutzens had a tendency to go for the older ship
At DS he went for Hood
And at Bismarcks last stand, he went for Rodney(big mistake!)
So he might try to take out Tiger, as it is pretty clear she's no cruiser
Hood had 15" v 14" and Rodney had 16" v 14" so I think you could suggest they are the more dangerous ship especially as the age means they should be fully worked up and good shots.
I don't think this applies to a 13.5" tiger in company with them, we are talking about a 639.6 kg shell v 721 kg, 879 kg or 929 kg shell (14"/15"/16")

As per OTL the Norfolk and Suffolk are still shadowing the Bismarck and are to her North West (ish, don't have a map). The Hood's engaging the Prinz Eugen but has suffered damage to her machinery that will stop her joining a high speed chase unless the Bis suffers machinery damage as she can outrun both the other RN vessels both of whom can do about 28 knots, probably less in heavy seas whilst the Bismarck's good for 30 knots and with visibility deteriorating she's going to leave the RN vessels behind. And neither of the CA's would challenge her without some support.

I think Iron duke unmodernised taking over from HMS Rawalpindi or HMS Jervis Bay might make a good story...

<_< >_> Damn you sir...

Although the Speer would disengage if she saw an Iron Duke class ship plodding along with a convoy, sure she out ranges it but all it takes is one hit.

Hood had 15" v 14" and Rodney had 16" v 14" so I think you could suggest they are the more dangerous ship especially as the age means they should be fully worked up and good shots.
I don't think this applies to a 13.5" tiger in company with them, we are talking about a 639.6 kg shell v 721 kg, 879 kg or 929 kg shell (14"/15"/16")
A few 15' shells from Bismarck will silence Tiger, and then you got one less problem, instead of focusing on POW and not doing much damage, while still taking hits from a long in the tooth battlecruiser.

A few 15' shells from Bismarck will silence Tiger, and then you got one less problem, instead of focusing on POW and not doing much damage, while still taking hits from a long in the tooth battlecruiser.

Don't forget the Bismarck is down to 5 guns so she can't really split her fire (three aft, 2 forward)

I think Iron duke unmodernised taking over from HMS Rawalpindi or HMS Jervis Bay might make a good story...

Yes a long in the tooth 13.5 inch battleship makes a convoy immune to surface raiders (would probably take the twins if they dared and/or scared Bismark or Tirpitz away).

It's a real crew hog though.

Would the extra 750 men in crew be worth it.

Or if the Iron duke was still in her gunnery training ship config, so 6 x 13.5s and some assorted light weapons. Not a full 10 and not capable of getting over 18 knots either.

Or if the Iron duke was still in her gunnery training ship config, so 6 x 13.5s and some assorted light weapons. Not a full 10 and not capable of getting over 18 knots either.
What speed would be possible if the engines were refitted, with 6 guns?

Would the extra 750 men in crew be worth it.
I was thinking that she could be still in 6 gun gunnery training ship mode and without the 6" guns. So 6x13.5" and 4x4" or 3" with much reduced crew.

What speed would be possible if the engines were refitted, with 6 guns?
Why bother if she gets new engines she would get back her old guns and they are in store. The middle turret might give you a bit more but unless you totally rebuild her hull I don't think you get much. The full extra rebuild anyway would and should be on a R as its much better....

But I think earlier in this thread it has been suggested that, the Tiger's turrets be replaced by those from a demilitarised Iron Duke - thicker armour on them.

Don't forget the Bismarck is down to 5 guns so she can't really split her fire (three aft, 2 forward)

Considering this Wake-Walker could decide that he had a chance if he engaged the Bismarck with the Norfolk and Suffolk and tried to get close enough for a torpedo attack.