The Prince of the Roses - A Tudor TL

Poor Joanna, looks like most timelines will have her sons getting away with being crappy sons. I think Ferdinand should experience the death of Ferdinand Jr., to force the very religious but beyond subpar son to free his Mother...............

Poor Joanna, looks like most timelines will have her sons getting away with being crappy sons. I think Ferdinand should experience the death of Ferdinand Jr., to force the very religious but beyond subpar son to free his Mother...............
I haven't gotten to Joanna yet in this story, as I have been to busy with everyone else. I'm not sure what to do with her right now. Ferdinand is more likely to be nicer to her than Charles, but the death of her two firstborns are gonna hit her hard.

What Ferdinands are you talking about? Ferdinand II of Aragon is dead since 1516 and his grandson, Ferdinand of Austria is currently king of Spain. Not sure who Ferdinand jr is?

Yes, I fear that too. And then what do I do with Catherine of Austria? Is there someone else she can marry other than Joao III of Portugal?
I think she could still marry him, and their mariage would be happier since daddy manuel wouldnt steal the first choice (eleanor) and John, while still called the Pious, wouldnt go overboard with it after the eleanor situation like in OTL.

I think she could still marry him, and their mariage would be happier since daddy manuel wouldnt steal the first choice (eleanor) and John, while still called the Pious, wouldnt go overboard with it after the eleanor situation like in OTL.
Eleanor only married Manuel because Charles refused to wed Isabella as part of a double match at first. And since their children have such abysmal long levity, I want some other match for Joao and Catherine.

Eleanor only married Manuel because Charles refused to wed Isabella as part of a double match at first. And since their children have such abysmal long levity, I want some other match for Joao and Catherine.
Got it (Firmly believe eleanor deserved a happier life with Joao)

And got it.

Yes, I fear that too. And then what do I do with Catherine of Austria? Is there someone else she can marry other than Joao III of Portugal?
Kill off Claude around Pavia and she’s good to go as wife nr. 2 for Francis. I doubt she’d be sent off anywhere else, since he and João are the only kings around that could work well
Catherine and Joao just make so much sense on a political level. Maybe Renee of France-Brittany if we refuse the Catherine-Joao match?

Got it (Firmly believe eleanor deserved a happier life with Joao)
That she did.
Kill off Claude around Pavia and she’s good to go as wife nr. 2 for Francis. I doubt she’d be sent off anywhere else, since he and João are the only kings around that could work well

Catherine and Joao just make so much sense on a political level. Maybe Renee of France-Brittany if we refuse the Catherine-Joao match?
Catherine as Queen of France? Why not that could work. But given that the dauphin is already born, Catherine's children are not likely to inherit anything and I don't think Francis will be captured in battle here, hmm.

Joao and Catherine are probably gonna end up together, but Joao and Renee could also work.

Catherine as Queen of France? Why not that could work. But given that the dauphin is already born, Catherine's children are not likely to inherit anything and I don't think Francis will be captured in battle here, hmm.
I don’t think he needs to be imprisoned. With Claude dead, Catherine just works well as a political/peacekeeping match (even though it likely won’t work) and she is the highest ranking single girl in Europe. Francis could do worse. On the flipside, Francis rules one of Europe’s most powerful kingdoms with a splendid court. She could do worse too. Without the match being a punishment, there might even be hope for a semi harmonious marriage. With Catherine out of the way, Renee is also the princess closest in age to João and she provides a good counterweight to the Habsburgs so that he can be a little more independent. It does work. The only problem is that, without the power of hindsight and knowledge of genetics, why should João not want Catherine as a bride?

I don’t think he needs to be imprisoned. With Claude dead, Catherine just works well as a political/peacekeeping match (even though it likely won’t work) and she is the highest ranking single girl in Europe. Francis could do worse. On the flipside, Francis rules one of Europe’s most powerful kingdoms with a splendid court. She could do worse too. Without the match being a punishment, there might even be hope for a semi harmonious marriage. With Catherine out of the way, Renee is also the princess closest in age to João and she provides a good counterweight to the Habsburgs so that he can be a little more independent. It does work. The only problem is that, without the power of hindsight and knowledge of genetics, why should João not want Catherine as a bride?
Manuel lives a little longer and forces a French marriage on Joao, he was only 52 when he died, and it was from the Black Plague.............

Catherine as Francis second wife is a interesting proposition, but she is more likely to end up in Portugal. Portugal is likely gonna want her as Queen as the pro-Spanish politic was all the rage at that time.
Manuel lives a little longer and forces a French marriage on Joao, he was only 52 when he died, and it was from the Black Plague.............
Manuel died in 1521 as otl without marrying for a third time in this story. So no Maria of Viseu here.
Maybe you could kill off Louise of Savoy in 1521 and let Claude have a better fate and a longer life..............
That could work and I'm not fond of Louise either. Poor Claude always get shafted.

Would there even be a Pavia in this TL? Ferdinand isn't gonna care about Milan and unless the new imperial family cares about it like the Hapsburgs, I can see France interested in taking it for themselves. Perhaps the Sforza family will kept it for themselves?

Would there even be a Pavia in this TL? Ferdinand isn't gonna care about Milan and unless the new imperial family cares about it like the Hapsburgs, I can see France interested in taking it for themselves. Perhaps the Sforza family will kept it for themselves?

the French kings continuously occupied Milan from 1495 onwards ( except for the very brief expulsion of 1513 ), so yes, Francis will do everything he can to keep Milan, Genoa and Parma ( at the time part of the Milanese territories ) under his control, the only hope is that Venice, the Papacy and the new imperial dynasty or the Wittelsbachs can expel him ( but I doubt it, given how much even Charles V struggled in Otl to keep the French out of the peninsula ), as long as stupid religious problems don't get in the way......, that's why I hope in the Bavarians ( because in OTL were firmly Catholic, maybe they can stay here too ) so they would have no problem assisting Rome, unlike the Protestants who would celebrate seeing Italy and Rome burn because of the war

Last edited: