The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

It reminds me of when they released Paint 3D and suggested it would replace MS Paint wholesale. The outcry was big enough that they didn't get rid of MS Paint in the end.

I can understand their desire to add a layering option to MS Paint, that's just a natural extension of any art-related computer programme, but other than that it really is a case of trying to fix what isn't broken. In any event at least the core functions have remained the same, which is why I've always preferred it. I've been messing with PDN today out of desperation but holy hell it is a shitty programme for what I want to use it for.

People keep talking about shit like "layers are so useful for X" and "the Y function is so useful to do Z" but I don't want to do X or Z. I literally draw all my borders pixel by pixel. I use the blank rivers basemap and an old topographic map as reference points and just make it up as I go. I borrow from historical borders where they make sense and copy/paste them over to either be slightly altered or left as is. The only tools I need are copy/paste, pencil, and the fill bucket, and I'm a happy man. I'm so very disappointed that MS Paint just doesn't seem to want to work for me anymore.
I 100% understand the gripe about why the fill tool is set to have antialiasing by default, that is deranged, but not wanting to have layers is equally unreal to me, layers are so useful, any image editor that doesn't support layers is a glorified doodling simulator.

I 100% understand the gripe about why the fill tool is set to have antialiasing by default, that is deranged, but not wanting to have layers is equally unreal to me, layers are so useful, any image editor that doesn't support layers is a glorified doodling simulator.

They're only useful if you use them, like don't get me wrong, I'm not saying layers shouldn't be included, but they're not universally useful.

To be honest the ONLY time I use layers is when I'm making Dominion, Occupation, Protectorate and Territory colors for a country since I use an opacity layer of different percentages and white or black color overlay.

Last edited:
They're only useful if you use them, like don't get me wrong, I'm not saying layers shouldn't be included, but they're not universally useful.

To be honest the ONLY time I use layers is when I'm making making Dominion, Occupation, Protectorate and Territory colors for a country since I use an opacity layer of different percentages and white or black color overlay.
I don't think I've ever done a map project in my entire life, of any kind whatsoever (except maybe a few freeform hyper-low effort althist maps), where I didn't use at least four layers to make it, from the time on where I first got an image editor that supports layers. Tracing is just such an indispensable part of mapmaking.

I don't think I've ever done a map project in my entire life, of any kind whatsoever (except maybe a few freeform hyper-low effort althist maps), where I didn't use at least four layers to make it, from the time on where I first got an image editor that supports layers. Tracing is just such an indispensable part of mapmaking.

I tend to freehand stuff rather than tracing it, like if I'm doing a Worlda and need to use rivers or Admin. Divs. I'll copy the piece I need to the map to use it that way, but otherwise yeah.

Part of it for me is I just enjoy it more that way, makes it feel more satisfying doing it all myself.

I 100% understand the gripe about why the fill tool is set to have antialiasing by default, that is deranged,
Go to Settings -> Tools -> scroll down to Options, switch "Aliased rendering" off. While you're there you can also set the default tolerance (something low, I usually use 10%), hardness (100%), and font and font size.
To be honest the ONLY time I use layers is when I'm making making Dominion, Occupation, Protectorate and Territory colors for a country since I use an opacity layer of different percentages and white or black color overlay.
No need for layers there, it's quicker and simpler to fill with white or black at 25% opacity once or twice.

I tend to freehand stuff rather than tracing it, like if I'm doing a Worlda and need to use rivers or Admin. Divs. I'll copy the piece I need to the map to use it that way, but otherwise yeah.

Part of it for me is I just enjoy it more that way, makes it feel more satisfying doing it all myself.
This feels like the best way to describe my own experience mapping.

Jesus. Christ.
Did we spend erm 2-3 pages discussing whether MS paint was the best program to ever exist or not, using rumors and misunderstandings as evidence? It's just sad to see better options and methods, even entire basemaps denied and ignored out of neophobia.

Jesus. Christ.
Did we spend erm 2-3 pages discussing whether MS paint was the best program to ever exist or not, using rumors and misunderstandings as evidence?

Give it a few more years and you'll be use to it, this kind of stuff is par the course for this community.

It's just sad to see better options and methods, even entire basemaps denied and ignored out of neophobia.

I don't care what programs or methods or basemaps people use, I'm not going to begrudge them their choice, I just don't like when people try to bully others into doing it their way, like for some people MS Paint works best, for others Inkscape does etc., as long as everyone is respectful and doesn't act better than each other is what I care about.