Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

While not really planning for it right now (too busy) I am thinking about UN and EU (or well, EF) rank names and insignia. For the same timeline as my Venusian Empire post.

Somewhat rambling though follow, I could also use comments as well as ideas/suggestions.

I am pretty sure I'll go with the Division General - Corps General system rather than Major General -Lieutenant General system for Flag officers. But otherwise haven't really thought too deeply on the topic.
Both will obviously start with the ranks and insignia of their member states but as UN will build an armed forces recruited from UN administrated territories rather than just rely on Peacekeepers sent by individual member states and as European Federation builds an unified Military both will need a single system.
Early on French and Arabic will be dominant in UN (due to which regions are under UN administration, thought later many Russian and Spanish speakers also came to be ruled by the UN or successor states (perhaps Persian or Urdu could be early additions, Iran and Pakistan become UN adminstrated pretty early on) (speaking of successor states, Portuguese and Chinese), not a lot of native English speakers but probably sees decent use as a Lingua Franca/intermediary "neutral" language).
While French and German are the main ones for EF with Spanish and Italians perhaps worth acknowledging. Not sure about English. On one hand UK is not a member. On the other hand English will probably remain the main working language of the EF unless it adopts Esparanto or something. Thought I imagine official translations for the ranks would exist in all official languages.
(Perhaps a generic "Battalion Commander" etc is a better idea than "Major/Commandant" could mix and match and use terms like Battlegroup and Taskforce rather than just use traditional Army units as well)
(Branches would be Army/Ground Forces, Navy, Air Force and Space Force (more Air Force/Army styled for the EF, but could see Navy elements for the UN), and perhaps a Gendarmerie and Coast Guard (maybe an independent Orbital Guard later on as well?), I was first thinking UN might have such services but EF could rely on the member nations but perhaps something connected to the Interpol/Europol (respectively) could be possible (there is also Frontex).

(To distinguish EF and EU (and yes, they do coexist for quite a long period of time actually, with EU evolving from "EU members who did not want to federalize" to "EF allies/clients/satellites in Europe that the Federation doesn't wish to annex yet" (while originally including many EU countries in Eastern Europe and Balkans (chiefly Poland and Hungary), but with gradual unification EU towards its end essentially became EF and Russia before Russia joined it) I am thinking of adapting the Pan-European Union Flag (red cross on gold disk on blue) with the EU flags but changing the central cross to a compass rose. Another option is adding gold edges to make the EU flag be a horizontal or vertical triband while keeping the stars in the centre or with thin lines like Spain/Mauritania or like Israel/Northern Cyprus)

(There is also the Unified and the later United Commonwealth that I should probably think about later. I could probably adapt the British ranks and insignia pretty closely for the former (with direct UK symbolism changed to Commonwealth symbolism) (other than needing to create one for the Royal Space Force). United Commonwealth could feasibly continue with those of the Unified Commonwealth but perhaps changing the purely Commonwealth based system into a combination of US and Commonwealth would be better.)

To me, it was mainly the use of the term "Royal" which seemed to indicate a connection to the monarch,

In commonwealth countries OTL, the commander-in-chief of the armed forces is the Governor General *as a delegate* of that realms' monarch. Said GG as no day-to-day business in running the armed forces affairs but is still, technically, the commander in chief.

The *de facto* chief of the armed forces is the "Chief of the Defence Staff" (Canada) or "Chief of the Defence Force" (Australia), normally a full-general, admiral or air-marshal. As such, their title does not contain the term "royal" as they are neither the monarch nor a delegate of said monarch.

For this reason, is just feels odd to me to have the topmost rank containing the term "royal" rather than something which means he is "The Armed Forced Leader" or, even if if symbolically, the officer delegated by the monarch to lead the armed forces.
I understand all of this, but as I've noted earlier, they simply don't have the Commonwealth-style tradition of the monarch delegating the rights to the topmost generals. Now, Victinya, on the other hand, might be far more "British" in their system, and thus more immediately familiar to someone from our real world who knows of the system practiced in the British Commonwealth of Nations.

Just a suggestion, maybe the use of high boots instead of puttees might be linked with either ranks (NCOs and up) and / or a sign of distinction (i.e. worn by NCOs as well as members of elite units.)
Maybe. The different types of boots are used depending on the terrain, weather conditions, and so on.

Also, the cavalry uses high-boots more often, though they also use boots-and-puttees too, especially the equivalent of light horse, dragoons or other mounted infantry. Kymria only has lancers, hussars and dragoons in its remaining cavalry, with the former two more often in high boots, the latter in boots-and-putties. The fourth honourary part of the cavalry are the armoured cars of more recent years. The beginnings of an armoured corps.

Last edited:
I understand all of this, but as I've noted earlier, they simply don't have the Commonwealth-style tradition of the monarch delegating the rights to the topmost generals. Now, Victinya, on the other hand, might be far more "British" in their system, and thus more immediately familiar to someone from our real world who knows of the system practiced in the British Commonwealth of Nations.
I guess the question I'm trying to ask is why call the top general "Royal" if he is not a delegate of the monarch ? What tradition lead to that rank name being created ? Is it meant to be the equivalent of calling him "Marshal of the Republic", like the highest reward in the French army, except that since the country is a monarchy, the Royal General is meant to be taken in the sense of "General of the Kingdom" ?

Last edited:
I guess the question I'm trying to ask is why call the top general "Royal" if he is not a delegate of the monarch ? What tradition lead to that rank name being created ?
It's largelly just a descriptor of leadership, as the various "royal something" ranks are leaders of one of the three branches in the royal armed forces. There weren't any connotations of delegating royal power to the commanders, though that is also because it is automatically assumed in the country, by the monarchy and the government, that the commanders derive their legitimacy through the crown. The royal family intended as semi-apolitical figureheads, uniting the citizens, rather than explicitly linked to a particular political party or movement. Similarly, the royal armed forces are meant to be apolitical in their patriotism, and more specifically, non-partisan. They are to follow the example of the monarch and the royal family, defending citizens equally, just as the monarchs are meant to unite citizens.

Unless the government's defence minister and defence staff appoint a general, admiral and sky marshal, and the monarch approves the appointment (usually in a small ceremony of personally granting the topmost generals their ranks, and signing the documents), it is not possible for the armed forces themselves to appoint the top positions on their own. Doing so would be considered a breach of law in Kymria, or even something akin to a coup or attempt at setting up a self-appointed junta. The highest officer positions, especially the topmost positions of each branch of the military, are thus dependent on both the government and the crown (particularly the current monarch from the royal family).

Last edited:
It's largelly just a descriptor of leadership, as the various "royal something" ranks are leaders of one of the three branches in the royal armed forces. There weren't any connotations of delegating royal power to the commanders, though that is also because it is automatically assumed in the country, by the monarchy and the government, that the commanders derive their legitimacy through the crown (the royal family intended as semi-apolitical figureheads, uniting the citizens, rather than explicitly linked to a particular political party or movement).

Unless the government's defence minister and defence staff appoint a general, admiral and sky marshal, and the monarch approves the appointment (usually in a small ceremony of personally granting the topmost generals their ranks, and signing the documents), it is not possible for the armed forces themselves to appoint the top positions on their own. Doing so would be considered a breach of law in Kymria, or even something akin to a coup or attempt at setting up a self-appointed junta. The highest officer positions, especially the topmost positions of each branch of the military, are thus dependent on both the government and the crown (particularly the current monarch from the royal family).
Got it.

EFAF Rank Insignia.png

Same TL as my State of Hermes and Venusian Empire posts here, the rank insignia of the European Federation Armed Forces.

From top to bottom, the Ground Force/Army, the Air Force, the Space Force and the Navy. With higher ranks on the left, lesser ranks on the right.
All the Naval rank insignia are on the sleeve, Air and Space forces have the officers and the top three ranks of NCOs/Warrant Officers on the sleeves but more junior NCOs and Enlisted on shoulderboards while the Ground Force has it all on the shoulder.

Rank titles (in English) are, from left to right; General, Lieutenant General, Major General, Brigadier General, Colonel, Lieutenant Colonel, Major, Captain, Lieutenant, Sub-Lieutenant, Ensign, Adjutant-Major, Adjutant-Chief, Adjutant, Chief Sergeant, Sergeant 1st Class, Sergeant, Corporal 1st Class, Corporal, Private/Soldier 1st Class, Private/Soldier; for the Ground Force, with the last two ranks being Aviator instead of Private/Soldier for the Air Force and Spacer for the Space Force.
The Navy ranks are; Admiral, Vice Admiral, Rear Admiral, Flotilla Admiral, Ship-of-the-line Captain, Frigate Captain, Corvette Captain, Captain Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Ensign 1st Class, Ensign 2nd Class, Master-Principal, Master-Chief, Master, Second Master, Quartermaster 1st Class, Quartermaster 2nd Class, Corporal 1st Class, Corporal, Seaman 1st Class, Seaman.

Rank titles are also translated to all official languages of the Federation of which there are many (as official languages of each member state are also official languages at the federal level, with English being the general working language/lingua franca for the federal institutions (many military units, especially at the Regiment/Battalion level or below are either monolingual or at most bilingual, above that unless it is a national Brigade or Division or a specifically bilingual one the units in it most likely communicate in English)). Unlike the Venusian Empire the rank titles so used are not traditional ranks of that nation but actual translations of the same rank name. (And I am not going to bother translating nearly 20 languages, thought I might do it for French and German at least. Maybe I'll look into Italian or Spanish and perhaps Portuguese/Dutch/Scandinavian and Slavic languages later, thought not likely)

I was originally thinking of going with the French (also common in Latin America and in some other countries) style Army General - Corps General - Division General - Brigadier General over the General - Lieutenant General - Major General - Brigadier General. But after I checked I saw that most European militaries followed the latter system so I went with that one.

The six pointed star is used on the army rank insignia of 4/15 original EF member states + Estonia has hexagonal pips and Spain 8 pointed stars. 4 more EU members use the 6 pointed stars (Luxembourg also has somewhat six pointed-ish sunlike pips). (The precise six pointed star I am using is from the Cypriot Ground Forces, also the General insigias have the European Union Military Staff's symbol on them). For the three highest NCO's (the Adjutant ranks) I was mostly inspired by the Louxembourgish Aspirant and French junior officers. The lower NCOs I based on the French/Louxembourgish/Portuguese/Spanish insignia. Them all being on the shoulders are relatively common in European militaries. I also wanted to avoid the common olive/green so the army uniforms are in German Feldgrau (thought they do not have the German style insignia or the branch colours).

For the Air Force, I wasn't originally planning to use the RAF style sleeve bars but I saw that a lot of European Air Forces used it so I decided to use that style for the European Federation. The NCO insignia is the same as the Ground Force but with Silver Wings taken from the Irish Air Corps. The highest level NCOs having the insignia on their sleeves instead of shoulder boards is inspired by Belgium, Netherlands and to a lesser extend Spain.

With the Space Force, well once I committed to the RAF style insignia for the Air Force I decided to go for the same but silver on black for them, partially to directly tie them to the Air Force and to separate them from the Navy. I replaced the wings with a star because space.

For the Navy, well many navies share very similar officer insignia, with executive curl or star (or some other symbol) being the most common difference. After counting I saw that the curl was the most common in the EF member states so it is the one I went with. For the enlisted insignia I mostly went with the Spanish and French ones.

Last edited:
Same TL as my State of Hermes and Venusian Empire posts here, the rank insignia of the European Federation Armed Forces.

Interesting, I like them a lot. I get strong French, Spanish and Dutch vibes from the set, depending on which elements I'm looking at. I'd be happy to do German, Dutch and Hungarian translations for them if you'd like, I know most of them off-hand already.

Interesting, I like them a lot. I get strong French, Spanish and Dutch vibes from the set, depending on which elements I'm looking at. I'd be happy to do German, Dutch and Hungarian translations for them if you'd like, I know most of them off-hand already.

I can handle the German (and could perhaps wing Dutch if I had to) thought Hungarian (and Dutch) would be cool.

(I actually have separately (in an excel sheet, thought I could post the table) made ground force and air force ranks in Spanish, French, German and Italian (and therefore need only "Spacer" for Spanish, German and Italian to complete the Space Force) thought haven't started on the Navy yet.)

I can handle the German (and could perhaps wing Dutch if I had to) thought Hungarian (and Dutch) would be cool.

(I actually have separately (in an excel sheet, thought I could post the table) made ground force and air force ranks in Spanish, French, German and Italian (and therefore need only "Spacer" for Spanish, German and Italian to complete the Space Force) thought haven't started on the Navy yet.)
Spacer is tricky as it's only really a sci-fi term so far in English. So the equivalent term tends to vary depending on the translators' whims. The most basic and direct would be Raumfahrer / ruimtevaarder (literally "space traveller"), but would they pick the base term or specify more? The Germans have tended to use Flieger, generically, where English tends to split between Flyer/Pilot for generic uses versus Aviator/Airman for military ones. The strongest suggestion I've got thus far, if Raumfahrer is too generic, would be to coin Raummatrose / ruimtematroos, that has unambiguous military connotations.

What do you reckon?

Spacer is tricky as it's only really a sci-fi term so far in English. So the equivalent term tends to vary depending on the translators' whims. The most basic and direct would be Raumfahrer / ruimtevaarder (literally "space traveller"), but would they pick the base term or specify more? The Germans have tended to use Flieger, generically, where English tends to split between Flyer/Pilot for generic uses versus Aviator/Airman for military ones. The strongest suggestion I've got thus far, if Raumfahrer is too generic, would be to coin Raummatrose / ruimtematroos, that has unambiguous military connotations.

What do you reckon?

I was trying to avoid naval terminology for the space force and stick closer to the air force. But something small like Raummatrose is probably fine.

(I did go for Flieger as the German equilavent of Aviator in the air force)

I was trying to avoid naval terminology for the space force and stick closer to the air force. But something small like Raummatrose is probably fine.

(I did go for Flieger as the German equilavent of Aviator in the air force)

Right, I'll just stick with ruimtevaarder in Dutch then. Here you go, most are OTL terms that are calque translations from French just like the English terms so the OTL terms are already direct translations. I've rejigged the Generals in Hungarian as they're a mixed bag and wouldn't fit the desire for direct translations that you mentioned. The only one I'm really not keen on is the one for Major General, it feels really odd in Hungarian to just stick the two words Major and General together. But folk would get used to it. There's a very low familiarity with military terms among Hungarians, unless they're in the military, so it would be easy to get a change to stick.

On that note, you can also get away with switching Generaal-Majoor around in Dutch to fit the pattern better, and you could also use Kapitány instead of Százados, it was used historically for cavalry captains under the Austrian Empire. But stick with Százados, it's much cooler, it harks back to how the Mongols did their command structure. It means roughly person (i.e. commander) of a group of one hundred, likewise Colonel (Ezredes) is person of a group of one thousand and Corporal (Tizedes) is person of a group of ten.

Source
Dutch
Hungarian
General​
Generaal​
Tábornok​
Lieutenant General​
Luitenant-Generaal​
Altábornok​
Major General​
Generaal-Majoor​
Őrnagytábornok​
Brigadier General​
Brigade-Generaal​
Dandártábornok​
Colonel​
Kolonel​
Ezredes​
Lieutenant Colonel​
Luitenant-Kolonel​
Alezredes​
Major​
Majoor​
Őrnagy​
Captain​
Kapitein​
Százados​
Lieutenant​
Luitenant​
Hadnagy​
Sub-Lieutenant​
Onderluitenant​
Alhadnagy​
Ensign​
Vaandrig​
Zászlós​
Adjutant-Major​
Adjudant-majoor​
Törzstiszthelyettes​
Adjutant-Chief​
Adjudant-chef​
Főtiszthelyettes​
Adjutant​
Adjudant​
Tiszthelyettes​
Chief Sergeant​
Oppersergeant​
Főőrmester​
Sergeant 1st Class​
Sergeant der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú őrmester​
Sergeant​
Sergeant​
Őrmester​
Corporal 1st Class​
Korporaal der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú tizedes​
Corporal​
Korporaal​
Tizedes​
Private/Soldier 1st Class​
Soldaat der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú honvéd​
Private/Soldier​
Soldaat​
Honvéd​
Aviator​
Vlieger​
Repülő​
Spacer​
Ruimtevaarder​
Űrhajós​
Admiral​
Admiraal​
Tengernagy​
Vice Admiral​
Vice-Admiraal​
Altengernagy​
Rear Admiral​
Konter-Admiraal​
Ellentengernagy​
Flotilla Admiral​
Flotilla-Admiraal​
Hajórajtengernagy​
Ship-of-the-line Captain​
Linieschipkapitein​
Sorhajókapitány​
Frigate Captain​
Fregatkapitein​
Fregattkapitány​
Corvette Captain​
Korvetkapitein​
Korvettkapitány​
Captain Lieutenant​
Kapiteinluitenant​
Kapitányhadnagy​
Lieutenant​
Luitenant​
Hadnagy​
Ensign 1st Class​
Vaandrig der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú zászlós​
Ensign 2nd Class​
Vaandrig der 2e klasse​
2. osztályú zászlós​
Master-Principal​
Oppermeester​
Törzsmester​
Master-Chief​
Meester-chef​
Főmester​
Master​
Meester​
Mester​
Second Master​
Tweede Meester​
Kettedmester​
Quartermaster 1st Class​
Kwartiermeester der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú negyedmester​
Quartermaster 2nd Class​
Kwartiermeester der 2e klasse​
2. osztályú negyedmester​
Corporal 1st Class​
Korporaal der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú tizedes​
Corporal​
Korporaal​
Tizedes​
Seaman 1st Class​
Matroos der 1e klasse​
1. osztályú matróz​
Seaman​
Matroos​
Matróz​

and you could also use Kapitány instead of Százados, it was used historically for cavalry captains under the Austrian Empire. But stick with Százados, it's much cooler, it harks back to how the Mongols did their command structure. It means roughly person (i.e. commander) of a group of one hundred, likewise Colonel (Ezredes) is person of a group of one thousand and Corporal (Tizedes) is person of a group of ten.

1. Yeah, I considered changing Hauptmann for Kapitän as well but decided not to.

2. My native language (Turkish) has the same with Major (Binbaşı), Captain (Yüzbaşı) and Corporal (Onbaşı) as a leader/head/chief (literally "head") of thousand/hundred/ten.

Here's my completed translations of the ranks in Gokbay's setting, for four central European languages. I've already sent him this, now completed, so sharing here.

Polish language

Ground Force / Air Force / Space Force ranks
General - Generał
Lieutenant General - Generał broni
Major General - Generał dywizji
Brigadier General - Generał brygady
Colonel - Pułkownik
Lieutenant Colonel - Podpułkownik
Major - Major
Captain - Kapitan
Lieutenant - Porucznik
Sub-Lieutenant - Podporucznik
Ensign - Starszy chorąży sztabowy
Adjudant-Major - Starszy chorąży
Adjudant-Chief - Chorąży
Adjudant - Młodszy chorąży
Chief Sergeant - Starszy sierżant
Sergeant 1st Class - Sierżant
Sergeant - Plutonowy
Corporal 1st Class - Starszy kapral
Corporal - Kapral
Private/Soldier 1st Class - Starszy szeregowy
Private/Soldier - Egowy

Aviator - Lotnik
Spacer - Kosmicznik (from kosmiczny, "of space", "of the cosmos" + the suffix -nik for person)

Navy ranks

Admiral - Admirał
Vice Admiral - Wiceadmirał
Rear Admiral - Kontradmirał
Flotilla Admiral - Admirał floty
Ship-of-the-line Captain - Komandor
Frigate Captain - Komandor porucznik
Corvette Captain - Komandor podporucznik
Captain Lieutenant - Kapitan marynarki
Lieutenant - Porucznik marynarki
Ensign 1st Class - Podporucznik marynarki
Ensign 2nd Class - Starszy chorąży sztabowy marynarki
Master-Principal - Starszy chorąży marynarki
Master-Chief - Chorąży marynarki
Master - Młodszy chorąży marynarki
Second Master - Starszy bosman
Quartermaster 1st Class - Bosman
Quartermaster 2nd Class - Bosmanmat
Corporal 1st Class - Starszy mat
Corporal - Mat
Seaman 1st Class - Starszy marynarz (quite literally "Senior seaman/mariner", "Elder seaman/mariner")
Seaman - Marynarz

Czech language

General - Generál
Lieutenant General - Generálporučík
Major General - Generálmajor
Brigadier General - Brigádní generál
Colonel - Plukovník
Lieutenant Colonel - Podplukovník
Major - Major
Captain - Kapitán
Lieutenant - Poručík
Sub-Lieutenant - Podporučík
Ensign - Praporčík
Adjudant-Major - Hlavní pobočník
Adjudant-Chief - Nadpobočník
Adjudant - Pobočník
Chief Sergeant - Nadrotmistr
Sergeant 1st Class - Rotmistr
Sergeant - Četař
Corporal 1st Class - Desátník
Corporal - Slobodník
Private/Soldier 1st Class - Vojín 2. stupně
Private/Soldier - Vojín 1. stupně

Aviator - Letec
Spacer - Vesmírník

The Czech (and Slovak) translation for the originally Latin-derived word Adjutant is Pobočník, which can also translate more generally to "Aide" (in the broadest sense, including civilian), while in the purely military sense, it's an Adjutant. I couldn't find translations for the other adjutant forms, so I did some logical derivatives for the Czech and Slovak versions of the ranks.

In plenty of cases when the Adjutant wasn't a separate higher rank, as in the case of your fictional set of ranks, it would be among the higher sergeant-type ranks, i.e. the rotmistr/rotmajster, sergeant first class and similar (i.e. not the ordinary sergeant but the slightly higher ranks above it). In your case, adjutant is higher than all the sergeant ranks, so I treated it as a separate rank in terms of terminology.

Navy ranks
Admiral - Admirál
Vice Admiral - Viceadmirál
Rear Admiral - Kontradmirál
Flotilla Admiral - Admirál flotily
Ship-of-the-line Captain - Kapitán řadové lodi
Frigate Captain - Fregatní kapitán
Corvette Captain - Korvetní kapitán
Captain Lieutenant - Nadporučík
Lieutenant - Poručík
Ensign 1st Class - Praporčík 2. stupně
Ensign 2nd Class - Praporčík 1. stupně
Master-Principal - Vedoucí loďmistr
Master-Chief - Nadloďmistr
Master - Loďmistr
Second Master - Bocman
Quartermaster 1st Class - Proviantník 2. stupně (if logistics quartermaster), Navigační důstojník 2. stupně (if navigational quartermaster)
Quartermaster 2nd Class - Proviantník 1. stupně (if logistics quartermaster), Navigační důstojník 1. stupně (if navigational quartermaster)
Corporal 1st Class - Desátník
Corporal - Slobodník
Seaman 1st Class - Námorník 2. stupně
Seaman - Námorník 1. stupně

Slovak language

General - Generál
Lieutenant General - Generálporučík
Major General - Generálmajor
Brigadier General - Brigádny generál
Colonel - Plukovník
Lieutenant Colonel - Podplukovník
Major - Major
Captain - Kapitán
Lieutenant - Poručík
Sub-Lieutenant - Podporučík
Ensign - Práporčík
Adjudant-Major - Hlavný pobočník
Adjudant-Chief - Nadpobočník
Adjudant - Pobočník
Chief Sergeant - Nadrotmajster
Sergeant 1st Class - Rotmajster
Sergeant - Čatár
Corporal 1st Class - Desiatnik
Corporal - Slobodník
Private/Soldier 1st Class - Vojak 2. stupňa
Private/Soldier - Vojak 1. stupňa

Aviator - Letec
Spacer - Vesmírnik

Navy ranks
Admiral - Admirál
Vice Admiral - Viceadmirál
Rear Admiral - Kontradmirál
Flotilla Admiral - Admirál flotily
Ship-of-the-line Captain - Kapitán radovej lode
Frigate Captain - Fregatný kapitán
Corvette Captain - Korvetný kapitán
Captain Lieutenant - Nadporučík
Lieutenant - Poručík
Ensign 1st Class - Práporčík 2. stupňa
Ensign 2nd Class - Práporčík 1. stupňa
Master-Principal - Vedúci loďmajster
Master-Chief - Nadloďmajster
Master - Loďmajster
Second Master - Bocman
Quartermaster 1st Class - Proviantník 2. stupňa (if logistics quartermaster), Navigačný dôstojník 2. stupňa (if navigational quartermaster)
Quartermaster 2nd Class - Proviantník 1. stupňa (if logistics quartermaster), Navigačný dôstojník 1. stupňa (if navigational quartermaster)
Corporal 1st Class - Desiatnik
Corporal - Slobodník
Seaman 1st Class - Námorník 2. stupňa
Seaman - Námorník 1. stupňa

Hungarian language

General - Vezérezredes
Lieutenant General - Altábornagy
Major General - Vezérőrnagy
Brigadier General - Dandártábornok
Colonel - Ezredes
Lieutenant Colonel - Alezredes
Major - Őrnagy
Captain - Százados
Lieutenant - Főhadnagy
Sub-Lieutenant - Hadnagy
Ensign - Zászlós
Adjudant-Major - Adjutáns-hadnagy
Adjudant-Chief - Adjutánsvezető
Adjudant - Adjutáns
Chief Sergeant - Főtörzsőrmester
Sergeant 1st Class - Törzsőrmester
Sergeant - Őrmester
Corporal 1st Class - Szakaszvezető
Corporal - Tizedes
Private/Soldier 1st Class - Őrvezető
Private/Soldier - Közkatona

Aviator - Repülős
Spacer - Űrhajós ("Spacer", "Spaceship-crewman") or Űrkatona ("Space-soldier")

Navy ranks
Admiral - Tengernagy
Vice Admiral - Altengernagy
Rear Admiral - Ellentengernagy
Flotilla Admiral - Flotilla tengernagy / Flotta tengernagy
Ship-of-the-line Captain - Sorhajókapitány
Frigate Captain - Fregattkapitány
Corvette Captain - Korvettkapitány
Captain Lieutenant - Sorhajóhadnagy
Lieutenant - Fregatthadnagy
Ensign 1st Class - Tengerészzászlós
Ensign 2nd Class - Tengerész-hadapród
Master-Principal - Főtörzshajómester
Master-Chief - Törzshajómester
Master - Hajómester
Second Master - Fedélzetmester
Quartermaster 1st Class - Törzsszállásmester ("Staff Quartermaster", if logistics quartermaster), Törzskormánytiszt ("Staff Nav-Officer", if navigational quartermaster)
Quartermaster 2nd Class - Szállásmester ("Quartermaster", if logistics quartermaster), Kormánytiszt ("Nav-Officer", if navigational quartermaster)
Corporal 1st Class - Tizedes
Corporal - Őrvezető
Seaman 1st Class - Tengerész, első osztályú
Seaman - Tengerész

Last edited:
Well, I might as well post the bit I made myself as well.

NATO codeEnglishSpanishFrenchGermanItalian
OF 9GeneralGeneral de ejércitoGénéral d'arméeGeneralGenerale
OF 8Lieutenant generalTeniente generalLieutenant généralGeneralleutnantTenente generale
OF 7Major generalGeneral mayorMajor généralGeneralmajorMaggior generale
OF 6Brigadier generalGeneral de brigadaGénéral de brigadeBrigadegeneralGenerale di brigata
OF 5ColonelCoronelColonelOberstColonello
OF 4Lieutenant colonelTeniente coronelLieutenant colonelOberstleutnantTenente colonello
OF 3MajorMayorMajorMajorMaggior
OF 2CaptainCapitánCapitaineHauptmannCapitano
OF 1LieutenantTenienteLieutenantLeutnantTenente
Sub-lieutenantSubtenienteSous-lieutenantUnterleutnantSottotenente
EnsignAlférezEnseigneFähnrichAlfiere
OR 9Adjutant majorAyudante-mayorAdjudant-majorMajoradjutantAiutante maggiore
Chief adjutantAyudante jefeAdjudant-chefChefadjutantAiutante capo
OR 8AdjutantAyudanteAdjudantAdjutantAiutante
OR 7Chief sergeantSargento jefeSergent-chefChefsergeantSergente capo
OR 6Sergeant first classSargento primeroSergent de première classeSergeant erster klasseSergente di prima classe
OR 5SergeantSargentoSergentSergeantSergente
OR 4Corporal first classCabo primeroCaporal de première classeKorporal erster klasseCaporal di prima classe
OR 3CorporalCaboCaporalKorporalCaporale
OR 2Private first classSoldado de primeraSoldat de première classeSoldat erster klasseSoldato di prima classe
OR 1PrivateSoldadoSoldatSoldatSoldato
AviatorAviadorAviateurFliegerAviere
SpacerEspatierRaumfahrer

Anyway, I might not get to it next few days, but I'll probably start working on United Nations Military Ranks in the same timeline. I am planning on mostly leaning into Commonwealth traditions because of how the Indian Subcontinent is a very big part of UN Peacekeeping (Bangladesh having contributed the most people to UN Peacekeepers with India, Pakistan and Nepal also being on top of the list. Even thought the areas I had under UN administration is mostly outside of the region (mainly Africa, Middle East and South Africa).

Another idea I have is that UNGF and UNAF sharing an uniform and rank insignia style while UNN and UNSF have another.
With the ground forces in green, the navy in white (UN administration is mostly in warmer areas on Earth with Anctartica and Siberia (and later parts of Europe) being the only exceptions so I think they'll be wearing dress whites way more often than they wear dress blues, to the degree that latter might not be issued much) and the air force and space force (I am half considering going with space navy, but I probably won't) in light blue (as in the UN colour yes) for their dress uniforms. (Thought with the whole Commonwealth tradition idea perhaps I could go with tan/khaki instead of green, it also conflicts with what I had in mind for the rank insignia (thought keeping the air force in the navy inspired Commonwealth style and going with the army style insignia for the space force could be done). Anyway, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it).

2. My native language (Turkish) has the same with Major (Binbaşı), Captain (Yüzbaşı) and Corporal (Onbaşı) as a leader/head/chief (literally "head") of thousand/hundred/ten.
Given how much time Turkish and Hungarian speakers have spent closely interacting with each other over the last millenium, I have no doubt that they picked up the pattern from Turkish in that case ;)

Well, I might as well post the bit I made myself as well.

Anyway, I might not get to it next few days, but I'll probably start working on United Nations Military Ranks in the same timeline. I am planning on mostly leaning into Commonwealth traditions because of how the Indian Subcontinent is a very big part of UN Peacekeeping (Bangladesh having contributed the most people to UN Peacekeepers with India, Pakistan and Nepal also being on top of the list. Even thought the areas I had under UN administration is mostly outside of the region (mainly Africa, Middle East and South Africa).
Oo, nice! If the Indian subcontinent supplies the largest part of their manpower, could I suggest the idea of using Indian-specific JCO and NCO rank names? I don't feel like they get enough love in AH. I also have an idea stuck in my head from an ATL Louisiana that I worked up years ago that I can't not suggest too, namely basing Air Force JCO/NCO ranks on the cavalry ranks not the army ones. The logic being that the cavalry were used as the long-range scouting force (among other things), and so were the early air forces.

It's your world-building, of course, but I felt I had to at least suggest it.

Back with the Revolutionary Serbia TL that my last post in this thread was also from, the black and white clad Princely Guard is joined by a member of another ceremonial unit: a Bećar.

The Serbian Bećari of TTL are kind of analogous to OTL Greek Evzones (the uniform similarities are coincidental, stemming from Ottoman influence and wider Balkan fashion trends). They serve as a ceremonial guard unit for military monuments, graveyards, and a couple major forts. There are not too many Bećari and they have a very strict height requirement of 2 meres or taller (thank God for early unification with Montenegro ITTL and a steady influx of Herzegovinian recruits in the last few decades). The Bećari have a combat uniform not depicted here, which ditches the tunic (yes that's the bottom of a tunic not a kilt like the Evzones wear, it's part of the same garment as the collar) for a shorter shirt, replaces opanci with boots, and the sash for a buckled belt that holds bullet cartridges. Essentially, much of the folk attire is replaced with more militarily practical stuff, though the fez, blue vest, red coat, coat, and red pants remain.

1691893069900.png

Much like the Princely Guards & Greece's Evzones, the Bećari trace their origins back to their country's war of independence. Their name is usually translated into English as "bachelor servicemen", and they originate as the OTHER portion of revolutionary-era Serbia's regular army. Though they were paid soldiers, these early Bećari had volunteered during the uprising and were mostly young men without families (hence the name). This was in contrast to the troops whose uniforms had inspired the Princely Guard's uniform who were part of pre-existing Serb militias raised by the Ottomans before the revolution to put down a rebelling governor of Vidin, which were themselves built from leftovers of Austria's Serbian Freikorps during their occupation of Serbia. The look of the Bećar uniform is based on the only image of one that I could find, as well as a reconstruction found in (I think) the military museum in Belgrade's Kalemegdan fortress, seen below:

1691892765929.png
800px-Regular_soldier_1809.jpg

The armament is also based on the kit of a revolutionary-era Bećar: A rifle, a firelock pistol, a dagger, and a khanjar. In the image all but the Khanjar are updated, such that it is a rifle, a revolver, and a detachable bayonet. Unfortunately the cool long smoking pipe is not standard issue. They are the only unit in TTLs Serbian army which wears a fez.

Note that neither the Princely Guard nor the Bećari as seen ITTL existed IOTL, but the revolutionary era units they are based on (Bećari and the Vožd's Guard) did. There was little deliniation between the regular troops and Bećari during the revolution, only really their origin. While the one surviving illustration of regular troops (from the same artist who did the Bećar above) shows them wearing black and white uniforms, the regulars ranged from uniformed to wearing folk clothing not dissimilar from that of the Bećari but with a standardized hat, and both served as border guards and bodyguards for generals/dukes. Karađorđe may have had Bećari guarding him too, but I chose to base the princely guard off the depiction of the regulars. Bećari also probably did not have a uniform, but rather just wore folk clothes, as was the case with the Klephts whose clothing inspired the uniforms of the Greek Evzones IOTL. It was just convenient for me to base TTLs standard Bećar guardsman uniform on the illustration & reconstruction because it gives me something specific to work with.

Rank Insignia of the Unified Commonwealth Armed Forces:
Commonwealth Army: Identical to the British Army, with the exception of the Warrant Officers, which have the Commonwealth C and Globe instead of the British Coat of Arms.​
Royal/Commonwealth Navy: Identical to the Royal Navy with the exception of the Admiral of the Fleet insignia lacking the royal monogram and the Warrant Officers, which have the Commonwealth C and Globe instead of the British Coat of Arms.​
Royal/Commonwealth Air Force: Identical to the Royal Air Force with the exception of the flag ranks (Air Commodore and up) shoulder boards being changed to the style of the Navy and the Warrant Officers as well as the Master Aircrew, which have the Commonwealth C and Globe instead of the British Coat of Arms.​
Royal/Commonwealth Space Force: Ranks and insignia as follows:​
Marshal of the Royal Space ForceA crown, crossed batons on wreath
Space Chief MarshalA four pointed star, a crown and crossed baton and sword
Space MarshalA crown and crossed baton and sword
Space Lieutenant MarshalA four pointed star and crossed baton and sword
Space BrigadierA crown and three four pointed stars
Delta ColonelA crown and two four pointed stars
Delta Lieutenant ColonelA crown and a four pointed star
Squadron MajorA crown
Flight CaptainThree four pointed stars
LieutenantTwo four pointed stars
Second LieutenantOne four pointed star
Warrant Officer Class 1Commonwealth C and Globe insignia
Warrant Officer Class 2Crown within laurel wreath
Chief Petty Space OfficerSpace Delta on Globe symbol under crown within laurel wreath
Petty Space OfficerSpace Delta on Globe symbol under crown
Leading Space SpecialistSpace Delta on Globe symbol
Able Space SpecialistSpace Delta symbol (as in the UK Space Command)
Space Specialist Class 1The text "Royal Space Force"
Space Specialist Class 2No insignia

Wanted to essentially do the reverse of the RAF which has army style enlisted, navy style junior officers and senior officers that is a mix.​
So this has navy style enlisted, army style junior officers and senior officers that are a mix but in the opposite way.​
+ Army style officer insignia and navy style enlisted insignia unlike the RAF.​

I am not 100% sure if I should go with "Royal" or "Commonwealth" for the various military branches.

I am also unsure if the later United Commonwealth keeps the same rank titles and insignia or if in some ways it gets revised to be closer to US style (especially for general officers, with the US stars taking over from the more mixed Commonwealth system).

Last edited:
Unrelated to my other posts. Based on some stuff I wrote up in a paper years ago, modified a little (originally Master ranks were above the Marshal ranks, leader of a Knightly Order was a Lord Commander rather than Master or some higher rank. Also I originally had a legion of 10 cohorts with two legions making up a grand legion, two grand legions making up a regiment and two regiments making up a grand regiment. But instead I changed it so a regiment consists of 5 cohorts, two regiments form a legion, two legions a grand regiment and two grand regiments a grand legion, this also had the effect of cutting the size of large units by half). For the military of a nation/empire somewhat like the Seanchan of Wheel of Time, minus the magic/channeling and fantastical creatures, plus knighthood and knightly orders somewhat like the Empire from Warhammer Fantasy.

I would have liked to make it more graphics-y but I was not sure if sleeve or collar insignia would fit with renaissance-ish tech level. So I went to helmet plumes.

Lord MarshalA Lord Marshal carries a baton covered in black velvet, decorated with gold eagles, with gold caps,Commands a numbered Invasion FleetSometimes also granted to the commander of multiple Divisions
MarshalA Marshal carries a baton covered in blue velvet, decorated with silver eagles, with silver caps,Commands a numbered Colony Fleet or a general Naval FleetSometimes also granted to the commander of multiple Divisions
Grand MasterHigh Masters wear blue crests on their helmets.Commands a numbered Exploration Fleet or a Colonial GarrisonSometimes also granted to the commander of multiple Divisions, Colonial Garrisons rarely reached the size of a Division but reached multiple Divisions a handful of times.
High MasterHigh Masters wear green crests on their helmets.Commands a Division or a Fort Garrison48000-60000 men for a Division, variable for a Fort Garrison (which seldom reached the size of a Division)
MasterA Master wore a black plume/crest on his helmet. Additionally a Knightly Order master wore a tabard with the insignia of the Master of the Order (mostly the insignia of the Order modified slightly to display the personal arms of the Master on it) (as well as wore a cape with it in ceremonial occasions), they carried a shield with their personal arms imposed on the arms of the Order.Commands a Grand Legion or a Knightly Order16000-20000 men for a Grand Legion, 3000 to 12000 men for a Knigtly Order
Marshal CommanderA Marshal Commander wore a black-yellow crest on his helmet.Commands a Grand Regiment8000-10000 men
Lord CommanderA Lord Commander wore a black-white crest on his helmet.Commands a Legion4000-5000 men
Master CommanderA Master Commander wore a yellow crest on his helmet.Commands a Regiment2000-2500 men
CommanderA Commander wore a dark red crest on his helmet.Commands a Cohort400-500 men
Lord CaptainA Lord Captain rode an armoured warhorse, wore full plate with a dark red crest/plume on their helmet. They wore a tabard with the Order's insignia surrounded by a golden sunburst (as well as wore a cape with it in ceremonial occasions), they carried a shield with their personal arms with the arms of the Order inescutcheon. A naval Lord Captain wears dark red plumes on his hat.Commands a Knight Company or a Grand Ship30-120 men (thought a Grand Ship might have several hundred men)
Knight CaptainA Knight Captain rode an armoured warhorse, wore full plate with a red crest/plume on their helmet. They wore a tabard with the Order's insignia (as well as wore a cape with it in ceremonial occasions) and carried a shield with their personal arms.Commands a Lance3-12 men
CaptainCaptains wear red crests on their helmets (or red plumes in their hats in the navy). Squires rode unarmoured horses and wore full plate with no tabard or cape and carried a shield with the insignia/arms of the Order.Commands a Company or a Ship, also the rank of a Knight's Squire80-100 men
SerjeantSerjeants were distinguised from soldiers by wearing white crests on their helmets. Including Knighly Serjeants, who rode unarmoured horses, wore light armour and did not carry a shield.Commands a Section, also the rank of a light cavalryman in a Knight Lance8-10 men
Exploration Fleets were formed and sent away once every few decades. Not every Exploration Fleet succeeded in finding new landmasses. If a significant landmass without any well organised state was found a Colony Fleet would be dispatched to colonize the region, with rarely anything more than a Legion (thought sometimes a full Division would be sent). If a sufficiently developed state was discovered an Invasion Fleet with a significant number of troops (often multiple Divisions) would be dispatched instead.

Last edited:
UNAF-ERAF-GFAF rank insignia 1 (need alternate version where A-N vs AF-SF).png

Rank insignia of the United Nations Armed Forces. From top to bottom; Ground/Land Force, Air Force, Space Force and Navy. The officer insignia for the latter two are sleeve insignia rather than shoulderboards, but most likely come in shoulder form as well.

Commonwealth inspiration (as well as Junior Commissioned Officer/Warrant Officer scale rank insignia) is inspired by the Indian Subcontinent. Which weren't really a large part of UNAM (other than Pakistan being part of UN administrated territories between 2222-2500), with Africa, Middle East and South America (as well as parts of Europe) being the main UN territories. But I went in this direction to honour the fact that Bangladesh, India and Pakistan being some of the biggest contributors to UN Peacekeepers OTL.

NATO codeEnglishSpanishFrenchRussianChineseArabicHindi/UrduPortugueseIndonesianSwahili
OF 9GeneralGeneral de ejércitoGénéral d'arméeGenerál ármiiShang jiangFariq awwalGeneralGeneral de exércitoJenderalJenerali
OF 8Lieutenant generalTeniente generalGénéral de corps d'arméeGenerál-polkóvnikZhong jiangFariqLieutenant generalTenente-generalLetnan jenderalLuteni jenerali
OF 7Major generalGeneral de divisiónGénéral de divisionGenerál-leytenántShao jiangLiwaMajor generalGeneral de divisãoMayor jenderalMeja jenerali
OF 6Brigadier generalGeneral de brigadaGénéral de brigadeGenerál-mayórDa xiaoAmidBrigadierGeneral de brigadaBrigadir jenderalBrigedia jenerali
OF 5ColonelCoronelColonelPolkóvnikShang xiaoAqidColonelCoronelKolonelKanali
OF 4Lieutenant colonelTeniente coronelLieutenant colonelPodpolkóvnikZhong xiaoMuqaddamLieutenant colonelTenente-coronelLetnan kolonelLuteni kanali
OF 3MajorMayorCommandantMajórShao xiaoRa'idMajorMajorMayorMeja
OF 2CaptainCapitánCapitaineKapitánShang weiNaqibCaptainCapitãoKaptenKapteni
OF 1LieutenantTenienteLieutenantLeytenantZhong weiMulazim awwalLieutenantTenenteLetnan satuLuteni
Second lieutenantSubtenienteSous-lieutenantMládshiy leytenántShao weiMulazim thaniSecond lieutenantSubtenenteLetnan duaLuteni usu
OR 9Master warrant officerSubofficial mayorMajorStárshiy práporshchikYi ji jun shi zhangMusaid awwalSubedar major/Risaldar majorSargento-morBintara tinggi kepalaAfisa mteule meja
Warrant officer class 1SubofficialAdjudant-chefPráporshchikEr ji jun shi zhangMusaid thaniSubedar/RisaldarSargento-chefeBintara tinggi satuAfisa mteule daraja la kwanza
OR 8Warrant officer class 2Sargento ayudanteAdjudantStarshynáSan ji jun shi zhangMusaidNaib subedar/Naib risaldarSargento-ajudanteBintara tinggi duaAfisa mteule daraja la pili
OR 7Sergeant majorSargento mayorSergent-majorStárshiy serzhántShang shiRaqib awwalHavildar major/Daffadar majorPrimeiro-sargentoSersan mayorAfisa mteule daraja la tatu
OR 6Staff sergeantSargento primeroSergent-chefSerzhántZhong shiRaqibQuartermaster havildar/Quartermaster daffadarSegundo-sargentoSeran kepalaSajinitaji
OR 5SergeantSargentoSergentMládshiy serzhántShao shiWakil raqibHavildar/DaffadarTerceiro-sargentoSersanSajenti
OR 4CorporalCabo primeroCaporal-chefStárshiy yefréytorShang deng bingEarif awwalNaik/Lance daffadarCabo-adjuntoKopralKoplo
OR 3Lance corporalCaboCaporalYefréytorZhong deng bingEarifLance naik/Acting lance daffadarPrimeiro-caboLans kopralKoplo usu
OR 2Private first classSoldado de primeraSoldat de premiere classeStárshiy ryadovóyShao deng bingJundiun awwalSepoy/SowarSegundo-caboPrajurit satuMwanajeshi
OR 1PrivateSoldadoSoldatRyadovóyLie bingJundiunSepoy/SowarSoldadoPrajurit duaMwanajeshi
Latter two languages were official languages of UN, but were hardly used in the UN military and were fully discontinued by Earth Republic and Global Federation, as they had little to no population speaking said languages.
NATO codeEnglishSpanishFrenchRussianChineseArabicHindi/UrduPortugueseIndonesianSwahili
OF 9Air chief marshalGeneral del aireGénéral d'armée aérienneGenerál ármiiKōngjūn shang jiangFariq awwalAir chief marshalGeneral de exércitoMarsekalJenerali
OF 8Air marshalTeniente generalGénéral de corps aérienGenerál-polkóvnikKōngjūn zhong jiangFariqAir marshalTenente-generalMarsekal madyaLuteni jenerali
OF 7Air vice marshalGeneral de divisiónGénéral de division aérienneGenerál-leytenántKōngjūn shao jiangLiwaAir vice marshalGeneral de divisãoMarsekal mudaMeja jenerali
OF 6Air commodoreGeneral de brigadaGénéral de brigade aérienneGenerál-mayórKōngjūn da xiaoAmidAir commodoreGeneral de brigadaMarsekal pertamaBrigedia jenerali
OF 5Group captainCoronelColonelPolkóvnikKōngjūn shang xiaoAqidGroup captainCoronelKolonelKanali
OF 4Wing commanderTeniente coronelLieutenant colonelPodpolkóvnikKōngjūn zhong xiaoMuqaddamWing commanderTenente-coronelLetnan kolonelLuteni kanali
OF 3Squadron leaderMayorCommandantMajórKōngjūn shao xiaoRa'idSquadron leaderMajorMayorMeja
OF 2Flight lieutenantCapitánCapitaineKapitánKōngjūn shang weiNaqibFlight lieutenantCapitãoKaptenKapteni
OF 1Flying officerTenienteLieutenantLeytenantKōngjūn zhong weiMulazim awwalFlying officerTenenteLetnan satuLuteni
Pilot officerSubtenienteSous-lieutenantMládshiy leytenántKōngjūn shao weiMulazim thaniPilot officerSubtenenteLetnan duaLuteni usu
OR 9Warrant officer class 1Subofficial mayorMajorStárshiy práporshchikKōngjūn yi ji jun shi zhangMusaid awwalMaster warrant officerSargento-morBintara tinggi kepalaMaafisa wateule meja
Warrant officer class 2SubofficialAdjudant-chefPráporshchikKōngjūn er ji jun shi zhangMusaid thaniWarrant officerSargento-chefeBintara tinggi satuMaafisa wateule 1
OR 8Flight sergeantSargento ayudanteAdjudantStarshynáKōngjūn san ji jun shi zhangMusaidAssistan warrant officerSargento-ajudanteBintara tinggi duaMaafisa wateule 2
OR 7Chief technicianSargento mayorSergent-majorStárshiy serzhántKōngjūn shang shiRaqib awwalChief technicianPrimeiro-sargentoSersan mayorMaafisa wateule 3
OR 6Senior technicianSargento primeroSergent-chefSerzhántKōngjūn zhong shiRaqibSenior technicianSegundo-sargentoSeran kepalaSajenti kuruka
OR 5SergeantSargentoSergentMládshiy serzhántKōngjūn shao shiWakil raqibCorporal technicianTerceiro-sargentoSersanSajenti
OR 4CorporalCabo primeroCaporal-chefStárshiy yefréytorKōngjūn shang deng bingEarif awwalJunior technicianCabo-adjuntoKopralKoplo
OR 3Air specialist technicianCaboCaporalYefréytorKōngjūn zhong deng bingEarifSenior aircraftmanPrimeiro-caboLans kopralKoplo mdogo
OR 2Air specialistSoldado de primeraSoldat de premiere classeStárshiy ryadovóyKōngjūn shao deng bingJundiun awwalLeading aircraftmanSegundo-caboPrajurit satuMtu ndege
OR 1Air recruitSoldadoSoldatRyadovóyKōngjūn lie bingJundiunAircraftmanSoldadoPrajurit duaMtu ndege
Latter two languages were official languages of UN, but were hardly used in the UN military and were fully discontinued by Earth Republic and Global Federation, as they had little to no population speaking said languages.
OF 9Admiral of spaceAlmirante de espacioAmiral de l'espaceKosmo-admiralTàijūn shang jiangFariq awwalAdmiral of spaceAlmirante de espaçoLaksamana luar angkasaAdmirali wa anga-nje
OF 8Vice admiral of spaceVicealmirante de espacioVice-amiral de l'espaceKosmo-vitse-admiralTàijūn zhong jiangFariqVice admiral of spaceVice-almirante de espaçoLaksamana madya luar angkasaMakamu admirali wa anga-nje
OF 7Rear admiral of spaceContralalmirante de espacioContre-amiral de l'espaceKosmo-contre-admiralTàijūn shao jiangLiwaRear admiral of spaceContra-almirante de espaçoLaksamana muda luar angkasaAdmirali mdogo wa anga-nje
OF 6Space commodoreComodoro de espacioCommandeur de l'espaceKosmo-kapitán 1-go rangaTàijūn da xiaoAmidSpace commodoreComodoro de espaçoLaksamana pertama luar angkasaCommodore wa anga-nje
OF 5Captain of spaceCapitán de navío espacialCapitaine de vaisseau spatialKosmo-kapitán 2-go rangaTàijūn shang xiaoAqidCaptain of spaceCapitão de espaço e guerraKepten luar angkasaNahodha wa anga-nje
OF 4Commander of spaceCapitán de fregata espacialCapitaine de frégate spatialKosmo-kapitán 3-go rangaTàijūn zhong xiaoMuqaddamCommander of spaceCapitão de fregata espacialKomander luar angkasaKamanda wa anga-nje
OF 3Lieutenant commander of spaceCapitán de avisoCapitaine de avisoKosmo-kapitán leytenantTàijūn shao xiaoRa'idLieutenant commander of spaceCapitão de avisoLetnan komander luar angkasaLuteni kamanda wa anga-nje
OF 2Space lieutenantTeniente de navío espacialLieutenant de vaisseau spatialStárshiy kosmo-leytenantTàijūn shang weiNaqibSpace lieutenantCapitão-tenente espacialLetnan luar angkasaLuteni wa anga-nje
OF 1Space sub-lieutenantAlférez de navío espacialEnseigne de vaisseau spatial de premiere classeKosmo-leytenantTàijūn zhong weiMulazim awwalSpace sub-lieutenantTenente espacialLetnan madya luar angkasaLuteni usu wa anga-nje
Space ensignAlférez de fregata espacialEnseigne de vaisseau spatial de seconde classeMládshiy kosmo-leytenántTàijūn shao weiMulazim thaniSpace ensignGuarda-espacialLetnan muda luar angkasaBendera wa anga-nje
OR 9Master warrant officerSubofficial mayorMajorStárshiy kosmo-michmanTàijūn yi ji jun shi zhangMusaid awwalMaster chief petty officer 1st classSargento-morBintara tinggi kepalaAfisa mteule meja
Warrant officer 1SubofficialMaître-principalKosmo-michmanTàijūn er ji jun shi zhangMusaid thaniMaster chief petty officer 2nd classSargento-chefeBintara tinggi satuAfisa mteule daraja la kwanza
OR 8Warrant officer 2BrigadaPremier-maîtreMládshiy kosmo-michmanTàijūn san ji jun shi zhangMusaidSenior chief petty officer 1st classSargento-ajudanteBintara tinggi duaAfisa mteule daraja la pili
OR 7Master chief petty officerSargento primeroMaître-chefGlavny zvezdolot starshynáTàijūn shang shiRaqib awwalSenior chief petty officer 2nd classSargentoSersan mayorAfisa mteule daraja la tatu
OR 6Chief petty officerSargentoMaîtreGlavny kosmo-starshynáTàijūn zhong shiRaqibChief petty officerSubsargentoSeran kepalaSajinitaji
OR 51st class petty officerCabo mayorSecond-maîtreKosmo-starshyná 1 stajiTàijūn shao shiWakil raqib1st class petty officerCaboSersanSajenti
OR 42nd class petty officerCabo primeroQuartier-maître de premiere classeKosmo-starshyná 2 stajiTàijūn shang deng bingEarif awwal2nd class petty officerPrimeiro-espaçadorKopralKoplo
OR 3Leading specialistCaboQuartier-maître de seconde classeKosmo-kvartirmeisterTàijūn zhong deng bingEarifLeading spacemanSegundo-espaçadorAngkasawan kepalaKoplo usu
OR 2Able specialistEspaciador de primeraSpationaute de premiere classeStárshiy kosmonautTàijūn shao deng bingJundiun awwalAble spacemanPrimeiro-grumete espacialAngkasawan satuMwanaanga
OR 1Ordinary specialistEspaciadorSpationauteKosmonautTàijūn lie bingJundiunOrdinary spacemanSegundo-grumete espacialAngkasawan duaMwanaanga
OF 9AdmiralAlmiranteAmiralAdmiralHǎijūn shang jiangFariq awwalAdmiralAlmiranteLaksamanaAdmirali
OF 8Vice admiralVicealmiranteVice-amiral d'escadreVitse-admiralHǎijūn zhong jiangFariqVice admiralVice-almiranteLaksamana madyaMakamu admirali
OF 7Rear admiralContralalmiranteVice-amiralContre-admiralHǎijūn shao jiangLiwaRear admiralContra-almiranteLaksamana mudaAdmirali mdogo
OF 6CommodoreComodoroContre-amiralKapitán 1-go rangaHǎijūn da xiaoAmidCommodoreComodoroLaksamana pertamaCommodore
OF 5CaptainCapitán de navíoCapitaine de vaisseauKapitán 2-go rangaHǎijūn shang xiaoAqidCaptainCapitão de mar e guerraKeptenNahodha
OF 4CommanderCapitán de fregataCapitaine de frégateKapitán 3-go rangaHǎijūn zhong xiaoMuqaddamCommanderCapitão de fregataKomanderKamanda
OF 3Lieutenant commanderCapitán de corbetaCapitaine de corvettteKapitán leytenantHǎijūn shao xiaoRa'idLieutenant commanderCapitão de corvetaLetnan komanderLuteni kamanda
OF 2LieutenantTeniente de navíoLieutenant de vaisseauStárshiy leytenantHǎijūn shang weiNaqibLieutenantCapitão-tenenteLetnanLuteni
OF 1Sub-lieutenantAlférez de navíoEnseigne de vaisseau de premiere classeLeytenantHǎijūn zhong weiMulazim awwalSub-lieutenantTenenteLetnan madyaLuteni usu
MidshipmanAlférez de fregataEnseigne de vaisseau de seconde classeMládshiy leytenántHǎijūn shao weiMulazim thaniMidshipmanGuarda-marinhaLetnan mudaBendera
OR 9Master warrant officerSubofficial mayorMajorStárshiy michmanHǎijūn yi ji jun shi zhangMusaid awwalMaster chief petty officer 1st classSargento-morBintara tinggi kepalaAfisa mteule meja
Warrant officer 1SubofficialMaître-principalMichmanHǎijūn er ji jun shi zhangMusaid thaniMaster chief petty officer 2nd classSargento-chefeBintara tinggi satuAfisa mteule daraja la kwanza
OR 8Warrant officer 2BrigadaPremier-maîtreMládshiy michmanHǎijūn san ji jun shi zhangMusaidFleet chief petty officer 1st classSargento-ajudanteBintara tinggi duaAfisa mteule daraja la pili
OR 7Master chief petty officerSargento primeroMaître-chefGlavny korabelny starshynáHǎijūn shang shiRaqib awwalFleet chief petty officer 2nd classSargentoSersan mayorAfisa mteule daraja la tatu
OR 6Chief petty officerSargentoMaîtreGlavny starshynáHǎijūn zhong shiRaqibChief petty officerSubsargentoSeran kepalaSajinitaji
OR 51st class petty officerCabo mayorSecond-maîtreStarshyná 1 stajiHǎijūn shao shiWakil raqib1st class petty officerCaboSersanSajenti
OR 42nd class petty officerCabo primeroQuartier-maître de premiere classeStarshyná 2 stajiHǎijūn shang deng bingEarif awwal2nd class petty officerPrimeiro-marinheiroKopralKoplo
OR 3Leading ratingCaboQuartier-maître de seconde classeKvartirmeisterHǎijūn zhong deng bingEarifLeading seamanSegundo-marinheiroKelasi kepalaKoplo usu
OR 2Able ratingMarinero de primeraMatelotStárshiy matrosHǎijūn shao deng bingJundiun awwalAble seamanPrimeiro-grumeteKelasi satuBaharia
OR 1Ordinary ratingMarineroMousseMatrosHǎijūn lie bingJundiunOrdinary seamanSegundo-grumeteKelasi duaBaharia

I was considering perhaps going for an alternate version, but I really don't like the idea of army style insignia in the Space Force, nor do I like the idea of Army style insignia for the Navy.
I considered different insignia for NCO/Enlisted with Air Force, Space Force and the Navy (and even JCO/WO before I remembered going with the Indian Subcontinent style). But then I wasn't sure what to go with for the Space Force (Air Force has the propellers and Navy the anchors, thought I am not sure if I would be able to fill out all the ranks).

For the rank titles, I considered changing army general titles to match with the French style Corps/Division rather than the Lieutenant/Major style. I also considered trying something like "Lieutenant Admiral" rather than "Vice Admiral" for the Space Force as a counterpart to Commonwealth Air Forces with the Vice-Marshal, but the idea of "Major Admiral" or "Space Brigadier" did not sit right with me.

Last edited:
I would have liked to make it more graphics-y but I was not sure if sleeve or collar insignia would fit with renaissance-ish tech level. So I went to helmet plumes.
Shoulder straps to indicate officer ranks seem to have started in the 18th century. Some text would seem to imply that NCO / Sub-officers might have started to use rank insignia in the 17th century,

If you want something that would fit with OTL Rennaissance, you could have sub-officers have ranks on the cuffs (either straight lace or upward pointing chevrons) and for officers have increasingly gaudy decorations on their cuffs, lapels and pockets (ex: 1-3 laurels leaves wreath for company officers. 1-3 oak leaves for field officers, etc.....) as well as giving them gorgets. Another option for officers would be to have the gorget itself represent the rank (ex: 2nd LT silver gorget with silver studs and arms, 1st lt silver gorget with silver studs and golden arms, captain silver gorget with gold studs and arms, etc....)

Another possibility for Officers would be to wear a diagonal sash (right shoulder to left hip) while NCOs wear a sash around their waist with the colours and decorations indicating specific ranks.

Last edited: