Nemesis: A Monster Movie Script

Hi-diddly-ho. Here's the first part of a script for what I imagine to be an American version of Godzilla - as in a story where a creature created by the atomic bomb comes to haunt America rather than Japan. I thought presenting it as a film script might be an interesting alternate way of doing things - hopefully it's relatively easy to visualise (I'm not a pro screenwriter so please do forgive errors in formatting and such!) Anyways, here's Nemesis. I'll update periodically - please do leave a comment if you can but if you don't wanna that's cool!

FADE IN, hovering just above the surface of a sparkling blue ocean. It could only be paradise. Colourful tropical fish pass by just beneath the surface. Then.

EXT. SOUTH PACIFIC OCEAN. KORTU ATOLL. HIGH NOON.

In the wake of the fish, a proa sailboat manned by six tattooed male natives passes by in the same direction. We pan up, following them, and see spread out ahead the island paradise of KORTU ATOLL. Other sailboats are heading home too, a whole fleet of them, seeming so flimsy yet piloted so confidently.

SUPERIMPOSE: KORTU ATOLL, PACIFIC OCEAN – 1 MARCH 1954

We cut to a bright red crab scuttling along the golden sand. A dainty female hand plucks it from the ground and lifts it to her face – it is LYNN, aged about nineteen and heavily pregnant. She examines the crab with a gentle curiosity before glancing up and spotting the men returning. We see from the ground as she carefully places the crab back down and it continues on its way – in the blurry background we see LYNN running for the shoreline as quickly as her pregnancy will allow.

LYNN runs into the water up to her knees, hitching up her hibiscus leaf skirt, grinning at the sight of the boats returning. We see the man who must be her husband, heavily built and a veteran of these journeys, as he spots her and jumps into the water up to his neck. LYNN laughs as his crew chastise him. He swims before hurrying through the peaceful water.

They embrace tightly and converse in Marshallese.

HUSBAND
My sun and stars.

LYNN
We missed you.

HUSBAND
I missed you far more. How can a day feel like a lifetime?

LYNN
Sometimes I worry you love me too much.

HUSBAND
So do I.

They laugh and embrace again as the husband’s boat passes by beside them.

HUSBAND
How is our child?

LYNN
Well fed, thanks to you.

One of the husband’s sailors retorts from the boat.

SAILOR
Only him, huh?
The couple laugh again.

EXT. KORTU ATOLL VILLAGE. THAT NIGHT.

It is all festivities in the village. Torches are lit and drums beaten as people dance and children chase each other around the beach. The haul of fish and crabs has been good and people are eating well. Laughter and song fills the village.

LYNN is sat watching the celebration, just taking it all in. It all seems so peaceful and perfect. She smiles and closes her eyes.

Suddenly, silence. Simultaneously, LYNN’s face is lit orange as some colossal source of light erupts offscreen. The same light bathes the whole island. All heads turn in surprise down the beach and across the water. LYNN stands and steps forward, her face twisted into shock. We now look from over the shoulders of the natives. To see…

A fireball blossoming silently on the horizon like a new sun. It is the Castle Bravo nuclear test. The whole sky has turned scarlet. It is eerie and haunting. Natives gather on the beach to stare. LYNN’s husband appears at her side.

HUSBAND
What is it?

LYNN
I don’t know.

The staring continues – until the shockwave hits.

The shockwave is like a thunderclap which knocks everyone off their feet and shakes the palm trees hard enough that you’d think they could be uprooted. LYNN is among those on the ground, groaning, before her husband hurries to help her up.

HUSBAND
My stars! Are you hurt!

LYNN
No, I don’t think so…

HUSBAND
And the baby?

LYNN pauses, afraid of what the answer could be.

LYNN
We are okay.

HUSBAND
Are you sure?

LYNN
I’m sure.

Their gaze inevitably goes back to the horizon – as the fireball of Castle Bravo fades away like a dimming bulb and night returns.

INT. LYNN’S HUT. MORNING.

We look down on LYNN and her husband lying asleep on the mat in their hut. They are not alone – multiple generations share this hut.

From outside, we can hear screams. LYNN blinks awake and, concerned, gets to her feet and tiptoes past others who are sleeping through the noise.

LYNN steps out of her hut and finds the screams are not of fear but of children playing. She is bewildered to find what appears to be grey snow raining on the atoll. In truth, it is radioactive fallout. Children run around playing in the snow, trying to catch at flakes as they fall, while others stand around confused and fascinated.

LYNN snatches some ash from the air and smells it. There’s then a shout and she looks in its direction.

A trio of figures, silhouettes not quite human, appear from between the palm trees. LYNN squints and, as they step closer, their images sharpen. They are American soldiers dressed in plastic biohazard suits, there to evacuate the islanders. One holds up a hand in greeting.

SOLDIER
It’s okay – we’re getting you out of here.

LYNN looks up and we look up with her, into the maelstrom of raining ash.

EXT. AN AMERICAN BALTIMORE-CLASS HEAVY CRUISER. AT SEA. NIGHT

The cruiser cuts gracefully through the dark Pacific water.

INT. WITHIN THE BOWELS OF THE SHIP.

The entire population of the atoll, it seems, are belowdecks and sleeping on thin mattresses upon the hard metal floor. All wear baggy grey clothes. We track a patrolling sailor’s foot as he walks between them. The tracking shot stops at LYNN’s face. She is pretending to sleep – her eyes open and she rolls over, watching as two sailors, DAWKINS and FORD, converse.

DAWKINS
Yeah, they’re all still here.

FORD
Dunno where else they’d go.

DAWKINS shrugs.

DAWKINS
Hopefully they like their new island, I guess. Thank God they washed ‘em before they got on.

FORD
Smoke?

DAWKINS
Smoke.

The two disappear down a corridor, leaving the natives all alone. LYNN sits up, watching after them, before slowly getting to her feet.

LYNN mistakenly nudges her neighbour awake, her sister LINA, who grabs her by the ankle. They converse in whispers.

LINA
What are you doing, sister? You’ll get us in trouble!

LYNN
I just want to see home one last time.

LINA
What makes you think it’ll be the last time?

LYNN doesn’t answer – she just carries on down a dark, drab metal corridor. Slowly, nervously, holding her belly, she ventures through the catacombs until coming upon a metal door. Unsure about the mechanism, she tries pushing and pulling it at first, before twisting it and pushing the door open. The sea air pours in and she steps outside.

EXT. THE DECK OF THE CRUISER.

LYNN walks along the edge of the deck near the stern. She hides behind a wall at one point to avoid a pair of chattering sailors before reaching the stern.

Peering over the railings, LYNN spies the atoll vanishing into the dark distance. A warship is anchored just offshore. LYNN’s face is full of wistfulness and sadness. And then…

LYNN’s face shifts to one of pain. She gasps and clutches at her belly – the baby is coming. She falls onto her back, writhing, the pain too much to take. Her back arches. Gasping still, LYNN pulls up her grey sweater and stares at her belly. A handprint appears pressed against it. We get one last shot of LYNN’s horrified face before we cut.

EXT. ANOTHER PART OF THE CRUISER’S DECK.

We view the open door which LYNN came through, as LINA sheepishly follows.

LINA
Sister? Where are you?

LINA steps gingerly along the deck, spooked by all the strange sights, and we watch as she walks away from the camera and in the direction of LYNN.

Now we view the two sailors from before, leaning over the deck and smoking.

DAWKINS
Not a chance. Not with their defence.

FORD
You ain’t never gonna give the 49ers a chance, are ya?

DAWKINS
Not while I’ve still got my strength.

FORD
You ever gonna start a sentence with something other than “not”?

DAWKINS
Not… today.
They chuckle together – and then an ear-piercing scream sweeps over them. Both whip their heads in its direction.

FORD
That didn’t sound good.

DAWKINS
Not really.

Flicking their cigarettes into the sea, the pair hurry down the deck.

We see the two sailors jogging towards the camera, and the camera pans down to view LINA, who is stock-still and petrified, staring at something unseen by us. Whatever it is, DAWKINS clearly sees it too, but FORD only has eyes for LINA. He marches up to her like a stern schoolteacher.

FORD
Hey, little miss, you can’t be out here, why don’t you get back belowdecks?
LINA is unresponsive. Utterly catatonic.
FORD
Miss? Anyone home?

DAWKINS
Ford…

FORD looks to DAWKINS – he, too, is staring with horror etched across his face. FORD looks – and inhales deeply.

LYNN is lying dead on the deck where she fell. Her belly is ripped apart and, leading away, is an ominous bloodstain which vanishes off the edge of the ship’s deck.

In blind disbelief, FORD steps closer and looks down at LYNN’s body, then at the bloodstain. He follows it to the edge of the deck and, as other investigating sailors appear behind him, stares down into the bubbling surf. So do we – and, like FORD, we see nothing.

FADE TO BLACK.

SUPERIMPOSE: THREE YEARS LATER

EXT. SUBURBAN SAN FRANCISCO. MORNING.

We open on a white picket fence in suburban America. It couldn’t be more American, more safe, more apple pie and all that bullshit, each house a post-war detached development that oozes middle class comfort and nostalgia. A paper boy on his bike rides past, throwing a newspaper into the manicured lawn of the nearest house as the camera pans away. Said nearest house has a muted green 1955 Buick Special Estate Wagon in the driveway.

A milkman’s truck trundles down the street in the opposite direction.

SUPERIMPOSE: SAN FRANCISCO – 1957

The door of the house opens and we watch a woman stride down the driveway towards the car, carrying a case. She is DR GRACE ADLER – early-thirties, black hair, conservatively dressed, glass necklace. Dakota Johnson could be a good casting. GRACE is a nuclear physicist and professor at Berkeley – and she looks tired and not at all up for the day.

GRACE reaches the car and fiddles with the key in the door – the door proves unwilling to open.

GRACE
Why don’t I get this fixed? Why don’t I ever just get things-​

The door opens.

GRACE
There we go.​

A voice calls from the neighbouring front yard – it’s MRS WIDDECOMBE, an elderly neighbour.

MRS WIDDECOMBE
Morning, dearie.

GRACE
Morning, Mrs Widdecombe. You’re up early.

MRS WIDDECOMBE
A lot of birdwatching to be done and not enough time to do it in. How are you this morning? Better than yesterday?

GRACE
Oh, you know; I do my best.

MRS WIDDECOMBE
Don’t let them ruin your day, dearie. Everyone with a brain knows you’re no commie.​

GRACE forces a smile. From offscreen, we hear the engine of a school bus. She looks in its direction, already knowing what’s coming.

The school bus rumbles by and it seems every child aboard is jeering at her from behind the windows.

CHILDREN
Commie! Commie! Commie! Commie!
GRACE and MRS WIDDECOMBE watch it pass by in silence.

MRS WIDDECOMBE
They’ll find a new game, soon, you just wait.

GRACE
How long do I need to wait?

MRS WIDDECOMBE
I suppose until you prove you’re no Russian spy.

GRACE
Well, if you have any ideas on how to do that…

MRS WIDDECOMBE
Have you considered hiding your disdain for America?

GRACE
My disdain for-

MRS WIDDECOMBE
Driving a car like that on your salary. Living in a house like that on your salary. Not to mention your husband’s Army benefits, God rest his soul.​

GRACE glances at her house, confused by MRS WIDDECOMBE’s point.

MRS WIDDECOMBE
You don’t buy bigger and better. Like at the Sweeney’s potluck; those comments you made about freezers not needing to dispense ice cubes. It smacks of distaste for the American way. And you’re a, uh, “egghead” professor. To some folks… that’s a touch communist.

GRACE
Yeah… I remember Harold called me an egghead.

MRS WIDDECOMBE
Ignore him. I don’t think he even started high school; what does he know about Berkeley?

GRACE
So you don’t have these feelings about me, I hope?

MRS WIDDECOMBE
Dearie, you could be red as the Martian surface for all I care. Long as you don’t start pushing pamphlets about turnips through my letterbox, I’m fine.​

GRACE smirks.

GRACE
Thanks, Mrs Widdecombe. I’ll keep that in mind.​

GRACE climbs into her car. She sits back and closes her eyes for a moment, then turns on the engine, which grumbles to life. The radio flickers on with it.

RADIO
-and we’ll have more reaction to the Soviet space satellite, Sputnik, from the Griffith Observatory in just a few moments. But first here’s Buddy Holly’s Crickets again, with That’ll Be The Day.​

GRACE takes a moment just to breathe, before putting the car into first and rolling out of the driveway and onto the road.

MONTAGE:

With the first verse of That’ll Be The Day by The Crickets playing, we see a series of sights viewable from Grace’s commute to work which emphasis the 1950s setting:

– Traffic moving along the highway into San Francisco, populated by all manner of what we’d now call classic cars
– A billboard for Chesterfield cigarettes featuring Frank Sinatra’s handsome face
– Storefronts with that classic 1950s look
– The trams and buses of San Francisco’s crowded central streets
– A group of men, all in suits, reading newspapers as they wait for the bus
– Highway traffic moving efficiently along the upper deck of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, the camera looking up at one of the bridge’s towers

GRACE’s car pulls into the palatial campus of University of California, Berkeley. Students and staff are all around as she pulls into a parking space in view of the Sather Tower – the final line of the song’s first verse ends at the moment GRACE turns off the engine.

GRACE stares through the windscreen for a moment, dreading another day of work and all the stares she’ll inevitably get. She plays absent-mindedly with her necklace before sighing.

GRACE
Lord save me.​

GRACE exits the car. The camera stays on the empty driver’s seat as the door closes.

INT. A BERKELEY CAMPUS BUILDING CORRIDOR.

GRACE strolls down the corridor with papers under her arm. The corridor is ornate with much stained oak. Students and staff populate the corridor – more than one glances at her as she passes by.

From GRACE’s first-person perspective, we see from one side of the corridor to the next just how many are looking at her. A group of students huddled in a circle glance her way, then look back to each other with smirks and giggles. GRACE tries to ignore it.

INT. GRACE’S OFFICE.

GRACE enters her office. It’s as untidy as can be, with books and paper piled high all over, and a fish tank in the corner populated by sparkling paradise fish.

GRACE throws her purse onto an armchair in the corner and sits at her desk, rubbing her eyes. Then…

The door opens once more and in walks JAMES RUBINSTEIN, an associate professor and friend of Grace. Let’s say he’s played by Max Greenfield. He wears a charcoal suit and is bubbling with nervous energy.

GRACE
You’re supposed to knock.

JAMES
You were supposed to call me.​

JAMES closes the door.

GRACE
And say what?

JAMES
And say what? And rehearse! The hearing is in two days! That’s the day after the day after today!

GRACE
I’ve got a class in ten minutes.

JAMES
I’ve got an aneurysm in nine! Maybe sooner! Grace, for all that’s holy, you’ve got to prep for this! This is serious!

GRACE
I know – I’m the one it’s happening to. How’s the project been going with Clarence?

JAMES
Fine – we think the hydrodynamic model predicts the existence of a second-sound monopole mode at roughly twice the energy of the dipole mode.

GRACE
What about the resonance energy?

JAMES
What about it?

GRACE
If it’s too high, the mode might be damped completely.

JAMES
Not in the heaviest nuclei. I hope.

GRACE
I hope, too. Observe that mode and you could get your breakthrough about the energy dependence.

JAMES
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I know. I know all of this – but if you get blacklisted and end up on a chicken farm in Albuquerque, it’s going to take us three times as long to make a breakthrough on friction coefficient in nuclear matter and three times as long for me to ascend beyond associate professor.

GRACE
Ambition doesn’t look good on you, James. Anyway, even if I get my name cleared, it’ll be months down the line. Until then, no way they’re letting me on any research project, big or small, so you’ll have to find your breakthroughs yourself. I’m lucky I’m still allowed to teach – I’ve got suspension hanging over my head every day. I had work I wanted to do on the classification of triton wave functions – that’s probably dead. Some Russian’ll pick it up first, I imagine, and then I’m back to proton binding. Yippee.​

JAMES leans steeply over his desk.

JAMES
If I didn’t know any better-

GRACE
Don’t lean over my desk.​

JAMES corrects himself.

JAMES
If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were getting all fatalistic on us. Am I right? Or am I right?

GRACE
James, I’m just one tiny little nuclear physicist and I’m going up against what feels like the full might of America. Mightier people than me have been turned to ash in this witch hunt. I thought it was all over once McCarthy fell from grace, and now the Supreme Court looks like it’s trying to stop the madness…

JAMES
But?

GRACE
But there’s always gonna be bullies in the world.

JAMES
Does that mean you give up?

GRACE
What’s the difference between me and a proton?

JAMES
Go on.

GRACE
Protons are positive.

JAMES
That was weak. What are you, a postdoc?​

GRACE just smiles in reply.

JAMES
You know what I don’t get? Why you? You’re not a communist. You’ve done nothing to indicate that you’re a communist. But someone said you are – so everyone thinks you are. But what did you actually do?

GRACE
Pissed off the wrong person, I guess.

JAMES
Is that all it takes to destroy a good woman?

GRACE
Usually.​

INT. A VAST LECTURE THEATRE.

GRACE is lecturing to her students in the auditorium, a huge blackboard behind her. She is in her element as she talks.

But, as she does, she notices from the side-door that a trio of men in suits are in the corridor and watching her while talking among themselves. They don’t look happy. GRACE continues uninterrupted but is clearly unnerved.

GRACE
In the article on light nuclei, which I'm sure you all read, Burcham first briefly discusses the nuclear forces which we would expect to influence the structure of a nucleus in a manner susceptible to experimental study. He then discusses the nuclear models as well as the various transitions, and the characteristics of nuclear reactions, which introduces the student to the properties of excited levels. He gives an explanation of the experimental methods by which we can obtain these properties as well as the brief theory of each method.

EXT. THE PARKING LOT. END OF DAY.

GRACE is walking between cars back to her own. On her windscreen, tucked beneath a wiper, she finds a piece of paper with a message crudely written in bright red pen.

PAPER
The only good communist is a dead communist!

GRACE stares at it with disdain, then glances up. The owner of the next car over is watching her. GRACE holds up the paper.

GRACE
Probably not an art student.

The neighbour’s response is icy – no laughter, no smile, no nothing. They just turn away and get in their car. GRACE scowls and, without looking at it, crumples up the paper.

Shot of the screwed up ball of paper falling to the ground to join a dead cigarette.

INT. GRACE’S HOUSE. LIVING ROOM. EVENING.

GRACE is in her tastefully decorated living room; it is a family home for one. She sits on the sofa with the aluminium tray of a TV dinner on her lap – turkey and gravy, sweetcorn, and peas separated into triangular compartments. She is watching the TV – it’s an episode of the sitcom December Bride. She doesn’t laugh at any of the jokes. Then…

There is a knock at the door.

GRACE gets up and goes to the door.

GRACE
Early again…

She opens the door. On the other side is ROSE JACKSON – early thirties, African-American, glasses. A demure librarian with nothing to prove. Keke Palmer could be a decent casting. She holds a bottle of White Bordeaux.

ROSE
The triumphant return.

GRACE
Evening, stranger.

GRACE steps aside to let ROSE in and closes the door, glancing through the window.

GRACE
Didn’t see anyone outside did you?

ROSE
Just the neighbour’s kids. I think they’re trying to build a treehouse.

GRACE
I swear… I don’t want to be the type of woman who yells at children from over the fence, but those two…

She shakes her head.

GRACE
What do you have there?

ROSE
White Bordeaux. Is it good?

GRACE takes the bottle and examines it.

GRACE
No idea. I’m just grateful it’s not California wine. God, I hate California wine.

ROSE
You’re the only person I know who has sentences like that coming out of her mouth.

GRACE
Does it make me sound-

ROSE
Hoity-toity? Yeah.

GRACE
How do you stand me, Rose?

ROSE
I guess I’m stupid.

GRACE
Well, I am a genius nuclear physicist professor. Everyone’s stupid next to me.

Suddenly, ROSE kisses GRACE. GRACE responds enthusiastically and the two melt into each other.

ROSE
You’ll never find a husband with that attitude.

GRACE
I’ve tried having a husband. Then he died in Korea.

ROSE
Yeah – they do that sometimes. What’s that on your breath?

GRACE
What?

ROSE looks towards the lounge and sees the aluminium TV dinner tray. She looks back at GRACE with disappointment.

ROSE
Grace. Please tell me you’re not eating a TV dinner. They’re an abomination.

GRACE
Must I always cook?

ROSE
What am I going to do with you?

GRACE
You tell me.

ROSE
Well, nothing, with breath like that.

ROSE strolls past GRACE and makes for the lounge. She sets herself down on the sofa and waits for GRACE.

GRACE
How was the library?

ROSE
Quiet. Benny Clay came in. It seems he’s taken an interest in Bigfoot.

GRACE
Finished with UFOs?

GRACE goes to a cabinet and takes out two wine glasses – she pours out the wine.

ROSE
Maybe. And there’s some kids with overdue returns I’ll have to chase up. I wish I could just kill them.

GRACE joins ROSE on the sofa, glasses in hand. She hands one to ROSE.

GRACE
Day after day spent in a stuffy library. No wonder you’re so eager to come here instead.

ROSE
Well, I’m hardly interested in you for the opportunities in social climbing.

They clink glasses and drink. Both look unimpressed.

ROSE
It’s not good, is it?

GRACE
No.

They put their glasses down. GRACE sighs.

GRACE
How the hell did it come to this?

ROSE
What?

GRACE
There’s a function at the Governor’s Mansion next Friday. Esteemed academics and professors galore. I used to go every year. And now, because of this insanity, I’m off the guest list. I’m off every guest list.

ROSE
Would you rather be there? Not enough being with me?

GRACE
It’s more than enough to be with you – being with you is the only thing stopping me from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

ROSE
Don’t say that.

GRACE
No, I mean it. To have your professional reputation in tatters… to feel it falling through your fingers. Like sand. And for no good reason. It’s a humiliation.

ROSE
You really think it’s because of us?

GRACE
It’s the only reason I can think of. I made some disparaging comments about Duck and Cover but beyond that…

ROSE
That could do it. Grace, we’ve been so careful. We’re just friends from a book club. No-one knows.

GRACE
Someone knows. Someone knows and they’ve started spreading rumours. We must have slipped up somewhere. I’ve been racking my brain trying to think of when, where, how… what a mess. I can formulate predictions on centre-of-mass effects in the nuclear shell-model in my sleep, but I can’t work this one out. I wish I knew who started it.

GRACE mimes throttling someone.

ROSE
Well, rumours are like forest fires. You don’t put them out by extinguishing the dropped cigarette.

GRACE
No – sometimes you’ve just gotta let them burn.

ROSE picks up her wine and gulps down as much as she can, grimacing as she swallows.

ROSE
I notice that, even though you think I’m destroying your life, you’re still letting me into your home. And your bed. And your life.

GRACE
Well, that’s because I’m desperately in love with you. As confusing and strange and frightening and… wonderful as that is.

ROSE smiles.

ROSE
It’s good, isn’t it?

They kiss again.

INT. GRACE’S OFFICE AT BERKELEY. DAY.

GRACE is busily writing at her desk. Her secretary, JANICE, pokes her head into the office.

JANICE
Professor Adler? Sorry to bother you – I just had a call from the dean’s office.

GRACE
What does he want?

JANICE
You, actually.

GRACE looks up at JANICE, her face a picture of nervousness.

JANICE
They want you to go over right away for an emergency meeting.

GRACE
Did they happen to mention whether I have any choice?

JANICE
No. I think its compulsory nature was implied, professor.

INT. OUTSIDE THE DEAN’S OFFICE.

GRACE is sat on a chair against the wall, waiting for her appointment with the DEAN. The only sound is the DEAN’S SECRETARY’s typewriter. GRACE glances at her a couple times – both times they make eye contact but nothing is said. GRACE’s eyes wander instead to a large painting of some previous alumni or faculty member bearing down on her. A large man with a walrus moustache.

Then, the door opens and the DEAN emerges in an expensive suit. Let’s have him played by Brian Cox.

DEAN
Professor Adler.

GRACE stands and they shake hands. The DEAN’s vibe is friendly but there’s an obvious edge to it.

DEAN
Good to see you again.

GRACE
Likewise.

DEAN
Come in; come, come.

He beckons for GRACE to follow him and she does into his ornate office.

DEAN
Have a seat. I apologise for the smell – we just had the office repainted.

GRACE
I don’t smell anything

DEAN
Oh, well, maybe I’ve got a brain tumour.

He sits at one of two armchairs facing each other over a mahogany table. GRACE sits on the opposite one.

DEAN
Can I offer you a drink?

GRACE
Do you think I’ll need it?

DEAN
I can’t think of a situation that isn’t resolved by a drink.

He pours both of them an expensive looking brandy.

DEAN
To nuclear physics.

GRACE
Nuclear physics.

They clink and drink. GRACE clearly tries not to gag while the DEAN examines his glass. He takes a little while to finally speak.

DEAN
Fascinating field.

GRACE
Yes. I’m certainly keen.

DEAN
Critical to national security. Unlike those lily-white pansies frittering away their G.I. Bill on King Lear and architecture. No, it’s the nuclear physicists who decide if this country lives or dies. You’ll be the ones who invent the bomb that turns Russia and China into molten goo once and for all.

GRACE
I’m more interested in civilian applications, really. Not to mention unlocking the secrets of the cosmos.

DEAN
Yes, you’re quite the conscientious one. Not afraid. Certainly no lily. Maybe lavender.

He takes another drink.

DEAN
But.

He lets the word hang in the air.

DEAN
With the importance of your field also comes a degree of responsibility. Yes? Do you think yourself responsible?

GRACE
Yes, I do. And I know what this is about.

DEAN
Oh?

GRACE
You think I’m a communist. Everyone thinks I’m a communist. And I don’t know where these rumours came from, but-

DEAN
I don’t give a shit if you’re a communist. Half the faculty are communists. I used to be a fucking communist. But to invite a woman into your bed… and a Negro at that…

He tuts loudly. GRACE fills with fear – he knows. And if he knows, the world could know. There’d be no coming back.

DEAN
Your husband fell in Korea, didn’t he? 1952? How he must be spinning in his unmarked grave. It’s clear to me that the day you received that telegram, something in your mind just broke.

GRACE
There’s nothing wrong with my mind. I am a brilliant scientist. And my prime hasn’t even happened yet – you don’t know the first thing about me.

The DEAN almost looks amused.

DEAN
I don’t know much of your past. But I know your future. You’ll attend your hearing. You’ll admit to your communism. And then you’ll flee to Europe to teach at one of their pink-bellied institutions instead, taking your unpleasant predilections with you. I am doing you a favour – you can keep your career and avoid true disgrace. Consider it a mercy.

GRACE tries to speak – but it takes effort to get the words out. She seems surprised by the struggle.

GRACE
How did you know?

DEAN
About your sexual perversion? You’re nowhere near as discreet as you think.

A moment of silence falls over the room.

DEAN
You’re a fine scientist, Professor Adler. But you’re also a freak of nature. I will not allow you to pollute my faculty. Not now. Not ever.

EXT. A PARK. EVENING.

GRACE is sat on a bench in a park. It is sunset and the sky is turning purple. Lavender, you might say. Stars are beginning to appear among the colours. GRACE stares up at them, deep in thought, and closes her eyes.

INT. GRACE’S BEDROOM. MORNING.

GRACE is in bed asleep on her back, her ragdoll cat curled up by her shoulder. Yellow sunlight is beginning to creep over her face.

We hear the doorbell ring.

GRACE stirs and rolls onto her side.

The doorbell rings again.

GRACE bolts up into a seated position – the cat hisses at her. We then see as she comes down the stairs wrapped in an orange kimono. The doorbell rings once more.

GRACE
I’m coming!

GRACE opens the door, and…

Standing before her is GENERAL DREW NIEDERMAYER – a U.S. Marine general commanding the military investigation into events we are soon to learn a lot about. He is in full, flawless uniform, cap and all. Let’s have him be played by Glenn Morshower – he always gets to be the general. Two staff officers stand behind him.

NIEDERMAYER
Doctor Grace Adler?

GRACE instinctively tightens her kimono around herself. She’s nervous – is this her arrest for being a subversive?

GRACE
Yes?

NIEDERMAYER
General Drew Niedermayer; United States Marine Corps. May I come in?

GRACE
Do I have a choice?

NIEDERMAYER
You’re a free citizen, ma’am.

GRACE
You can. They wait outside.

NIEDERMAYER turns and nods at his staff officers, who turn to guard the door.

We cut to NIEDERMAYER now sat in GRACE’s armchair. He waits while she enters the lounge with a tray bearing two mugs of coffee. NIEDERMAYER takes one.

NIEDERMAYER
Thank you, doctor, though it remains unnecessary.

GRACE
I don’t leave guests unwatered.

GRACE sits.

GRACE
So, to what do I owe the pleasure? It’s been a while since I sat down with a military officer.

NIEDERMAYER
Yes, I’ve read about your past work with the Armed Forces.

GRACE
Every academic in the country’s worked with the Army nowadays – everything’s been militarised one way or another. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guys studying ancient Peruvian waterways have found work with the Navy.

NIEDERMAYER picks up his case as GRACE talks and places it on his lap, unclipping it and retrieving a sheet of paper and a pen.

NIEDERMAYER
Before we begin, I’ll need you to sign this.

GRACE
What is it?

GRACE takes the paper.

NIEDERMAYER
Your solemn vow never to repeat what you are about to be told.

GRACE
This again.

GRACE hurriedly signs the paper and hands it back.

GRACE
So, to what do I owe the pleasure?

NIEDERMAYER is clearly choosing his words very carefully.

NIEDERMAYER
Doctor Adler; I can say very little at the moment. What I can tell you is that I have been placed in command of a special investigative unit run out of the Atomic Energy Commission. A situation has unfolded which requires the attention of experts in radionuclides. I’m told you’re near the top of everyone’s list when it comes to nuclear physics.

GRACE
What situation? Tell me one of your bombers didn’t crash with a full haul of Mark 17s…

NIEDERMAYER
I wish. Until you’re at the scene, you can’t be briefed on the details. Operational security. You’ll be going to the Marshall Islands. There you’ll learn more.

GRACE
...that’s it?

She is bewildered.

NIEDERMAYER
That’s it.

GRACE
Well… no. Sorry. I’m not packing up and going to the middle of the Pacific when you won’t even tell me the reason. Especially not when I’ve got a hearing tomorrow – my whole career’s in the balance.

NIEDERMAYER
I should say that, in exchange for your assistance, the Armed Forces are prepared to repay you.

GRACE
I make enough already.

NIEDERMAYER
For how long? Doctor Adler, I’m not talking about giving you money. I’m talking about giving you your life back. Your dean is… overzealous. And he has his own skeletons in a closet whose door we’ll happily open for the world to see. Not to mention, when the U.S. military makes it clear, publicly, just how indispensable to American science we think Doctor Grace Adler is, nobody’s gonna be talking about pushing you out the door.

GRACE
You can really make that happen? You can make everything okay again?

NIEDERMAYER
We can make everything okay again for you… both.

With that last word, GRACE knows that they know about ROSE.

GRACE
How… how long do I have to decide?

NIEDERMAYER
How long does it take you to pack a bag?

GRACE
But the hearing-

NIEDERMAYER
You’re busy. National security business. Very important.

GRACE
And I have to say goodbye to… to someone.

NIEDERMAYER
You can call them at the airport. Or her, as the case may be.

NIEDERMAYER stands. GRACE stares up at him.

NIEDERMAYER
Now, do we have a deal?

GRACE just keeps staring. The scene to follow provides our answer.