Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorozhand

Banned
The fortunes of the people of the Near East are about the same in general as OTL, Iran is definitely worse off, and Africa (now including valiant Ethiopia) is still under the thumb of Europe with no end in sight. All this has really done is diffuse things temporarily in the Balkans, preventing the ignition of OTL's First World War, but in the process create a new powder keg in the dismantled Ottoman Empire, which will explode once oil is discovered. The unresolved issues of Alsace-Lorraine and South Tyrol are still there, and the Imprisoned Nationalities of Austria and Russia still walk under a yoke.

In any case, even if things elsewhere were better, I cannot see a timeline that makes Imperialism survive longer as a better world. The many usurped by the few.

Last edited:

Dorozhand

Banned
I know I’m not him, but…

Not an impossibility.

Further, inherently. The nearest may be 1 AU or more.

Orbits will obviously be longer, rotation would be within known parameters.

Given moons, their years would be the same and their days would generally be about a week long.

Let’s look at the real moons we know about. Take the Galileans. Ganymede has roughly a week for an orbital period, but its year won’t be any different than Jupiter’s. Whether the moon is tidally locked or not won’t affect much the way of year, only in the amount of sunlight per “day” (day/‘day’/“day”; there are a whole bunch of ways we can call a day a day).

4) How high are the highest mountains, how deep the deepest trenches on Atlacamani?

Won’t be that much higher or lower than Earth; nearly the same gravity means nearly the same sizes. There’s a maximum size for a mountain under its own weight.

Add to this, I’d like to know orbital period, orbital distance, day length, inclination, diameter, surface temperature, and G for all of them.
I've answered most of these questions in the new Alien Worlds thread :)

Here's a relatively conservative map about a more stable early 20th Century.
Basically, the POD is Spain facing a worse economic situation in the late 1880s and early 90s, and accepting an offer to sell all their Pacific possessions to Japan in 1892. From what I understand, the Phillipines alone is arguably more valuable than all the OTL gains from the Sino and Russo-Japanese wars combined, meaning that these two wars are butterflied away. Instead, Japan and China actually become closer to one another, economically and diplomatically, eventually deciding to set up an Anti-Imperial Alliance against the Europeans. Due to the situation in Asia, and without a Russo-Japanese war to undermine Russia, the european powers are at tensions until early 1915, after a diplomatic meeting starts to cool things off, with Austria giving up the rebellious Polish Provinces, which actually helps the country economically. Without the Balkan Wars (again butterflied), the Ottomans become increasingly unstable, and when an uprising occurs, the Great Powers decide it is time to dismantle the sick man of Europe and take what it has to offer. This helps improve relations between the remaining powers, as many of them gain better relations. Italy, without Libya is allowed to take Ethiopia and build its Empire there. The year is now 1925, and the world is surprisingly well off.

Is that Assyria I see? Good man :D

Avskygod0

Banned
Little Map made mostly for fun - a possible loyalist British North America.

The premise is that the War of the Three Kingdoms grinds on and resurfaces so instead of the Glorious revolution there is a Second Interregnum and so forth - this leads to royalists periodically fleeing to the growing American colonies. New England which IOTL was more inclined towards the Commonwealth eventually becomes independent as a rampant xenophobic republican regime which frightens the south into following the English line until eventually reforms are introduced in the late 1800s to create a cross Atlantic parliament.

ahaha that uberpanhandle of South Carolina

To answer questions:

* Taiwan is bought by Japan (the discovery of resources in Phillipines allows them to have a trading agreement where they exchange territory for resources and assistance in the modernisation process). China and Japan first are trading partners then allies, with Korea and Siam as Junior partners. Their aim is to remove imperialists from East Asia and put them under a trading alliance.
* Iran kind of went into instability after the collapse of the Ottomans, hence why it has lost territory to Britain and Russia.
* To clarify, things aren't staying like this forever, obviously.
* Yes it is Assyria. The British decided that although Kurdistan would be independent, they should at least get a puppet in some way, with Assyria being set up as a homeland. This has angered the Jews who are now protesting for the formation of Israel.

Can anyone give me tips on programs or techniques to make this map easier to fill in and re-draw borders, etc.?

north_america_1750 (1).gif

Can anyone give me tips on programs or techniques to make this map easier to fill in and re-draw borders, etc.?

First of all, put it in PNG format.

Secondly, if you don't have either Paint.NET or GIMP, get one. I personally recommend both. If you have/want Photoshop, that's probably the best.

(If, for some reason, you originally found it in SVG format (which is very unlikely) get Inkscape. But that's sort of out there.)

The colors are usually flat and fillable; your main problem is some of the cooler looking stuff (mostly on coastlines or decorating them, which shouldn't be much of an issue, actually) and the text. Do your best to get rid of the text. You might want to trace the rivers in a solid color, too.

First of all, put it in PNG format.

Secondly, if you don't have either Paint.NET or GIMP, get one. I personally recommend both. If you have/want Photoshop, that's probably the best.

(If, for some reason, you originally found it in SVG format (which is very unlikely) get Inkscape. But that's sort of out there.)

The colors are usually flat and fillable; your main problem is some of the cooler looking stuff (mostly on coastlines or decorating them, which shouldn't be much of an issue, actually) and the text. Do your best to get rid of the text. You might want to trace the rivers in a solid color, too.

A thousand and one (and then some more :p) thanks! Will try the Paint.NET and GIMP, had never heard of them and your other advices.

... Italy, without Libya is allowed to take Ethiopia and build its Empire there. The year is now 1925, and the world is surprisingly well off....

Italy was "allowed" to take Ethiopia in OTL. The reason it didn't was because it couldn't (the Ethiopians defeated Italian invasions), and you can bet Russia would have a thing or two to say about it...

I'm also not sure losing Galicia would do much of anything to make Austria more stable. It still has a bunch of other minorities within its borders, many of whom will want independence. And if anything Galicia would be a poison pill for Russia, for which "more rebellious Poles" is certainly not what the doctor would order...

Status
Not open for further replies.