Hail, Britannia

Assassination of Bill Clinton (28 July 1998)
  • My thanks to Leinad for the help with improving the infobox and doing the write-up! :)

Bill Clinton, the Secretary of State for Justice and former First Minister of Louisiana, was assassinated on Tuesday 28 July 1998 at 13:17 Central Daylight Time in New Orleans, Acadiana while attending a public gathering at the Place d'Armes. Clinton was fatally shot by Martin LeDoux, a known Cajun nationalist, while he was speaking to members of the public alongside First Minister Mike Huckabee, who was also injured. An investigation by the Royal Louisiana Police concluded that although LeDoux acted alone, he had been a member of the Cajun Republican Army for a number of years, and that they aided in planning the assassination. LeDoux stood trial for Clinton's murder and was sentenced to a full life sentence without parole; he is currently serving his sentence at HMP West Feliciana. Clinton's assassination made him the most senior victim of the Louisiana Troubles and the only member of the Imperial Cabinet to be assassinated. His death would lead to improved security for senior politicians throughout Britain, as well as serve as a catalyst for the negotiations that led to the 1999 Good Friday Agreement, ultimately ending the Louisiana Troubles.

jyfGcsD.png

2019 accession referendums
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    So, it is my intention to have completed Canada in all its glory by 1 July ;) which means July is going to see a bit of a catch up for the Empire as a whole. Plus I’ve got some more in-depth stuff for Alaska, Texas, the Philippines, and Capeland amongst others.

With that in mind, and given the precedent of Sierra Leone’s accession in 2002, I’d like you to vote in a poll.

Accra voted to join the United Empire in January 2018, and negotiations have progressed fairly rapidly, with the Imperial Parliament passing the Accession Act in January 2019. This Act would admit Accra as a Dominion on 22 July this year after a referendum across the Empire on 20 June. Under the provisions of the act, the referendum is also on whether the territories of Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands, both of which have passed resolutions and votes in favour of union and accession, should be admitted as a single dominion.​

The vote is on two questions:

Question 1: Do you support the admission of the State of Accra to the Union, under the terms of the Great Charter and the 2019 Accession Act?

Question 2: Do you support the admission of Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands to the Union, under the terms of the Great Charter and the 2019 Accession Act?

I'll be tallying up the votes and percentages on Thursday 20 June (i.e. a week on Thursday) and posting the referendum results on the Friday.

So thanks to everyone who voted in the poll. The results won't be a surprise to anyone :) although I have to admit to finding it odd that people were so against the accession of Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands...

As I said, these two new dominions will join the Empire on 22 July, which means that after that I will be posting new infoboes and elections for both of them plus redoing the already existing home nation wikiboxes. Also expect to see the most recent imperial election and the glorious U.K.E. wikibox soon :p

rd293tC.png

The 2019 accession referendums took place on 20 June 2019 in the Home Nations of the United Empire to ask the electorate to endorse the accession of Accra and Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands to the Union, under the provisions of the Accession Act 2019. The vote was split into two referendums; with the first concerning the accession of the West African nation of Accra, whilst the second concerned the South Atlantic territories of Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands. Under the provisions of the Elections and Referendums Act 1999, reiterated in the Accession Act 2019, the votes were binding on the government and the required threshold was set at a 50% majority of the electorate in 16 of the 30 Home Nations.

Accession to the Union had long been a topic of debate in the State of Accra, stretching back to the colonial period when the country was a part of the British colonial empire. The territory had been heavily settled by Europeans when it had been a British crown colony, known as the Gold Coast, and many Accrans regarded themselves as part of the British cultural diaspora. Since independence in 1957, Accra had remained closely associated with the United Empire, as part of the Commonwealth Economic Community, the Common Defence Pact (a military alliance amongst several Commonwealth members), and the Common Travel Area (an open border zone between the U.K.E., California, Texas, Cuba and the Nordic Federation). In the 21st century, the ongoing War in West Africa had caused a severe recession in the Accran economy, with the instability in the region leading to a decline in international trade and investment due to the uncertainity and volatility of West Africa. The Accran Government, under Prime Minister Catherine Afeku, had held a referendum in the country on 18 January 2018 on the country's constitutional future, which had resulted in a majority in favour of admission to the United Empire.

Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands were both British overseas territories which had been under British control near continuously since the mid-19th century. Both territories had been colonised by settlers from the British Isles, predominantly originating in Ireland and Wales, creating a unique identity on both islands distinct from neighbouring Patagonia. Tierra del Fuego, which has a substantial Maori minority, had chosen not to join the newly created Dominion of Patagonia in 1895, remaining a separate crown colony and later overseas territory, as had the Falkland Islands. The victory of the New Unionists at the 2016 election in Tierra del Fuego, which were pro-dominion status, had led to a surge in interest amongst Fuegians for accession to the Union. Association between the two territories had historically been strong due to their proximity in the South Atlantic, and discussions throughout 2018, after the Accran referendum, led to the drafting of a plan for union and accession to the United Empire. Following successful referendums in both territories in March 2019, the two governments petitioned the Imperial Parliament for admission to the Union.

Although the referendum campaign was a relatively low-key affair at the imperial level, with few individuals or groups coming out in opposition to the admission of both new dominions, a few issues were raised in opposition in dominions such as Carolina, Puerto Rico and Australia. Key issues were the creation of two new porous borders through which migrants could potentially enter the U.K.E., the need to invest in both new economies to facilitate growth and development on par with the rest of the empire, and the presence of significant natural resources, specifically oil, in Tierra del Fuego. Also of concern were the restrictions on access to the economic markets of Accra and Tierra del Fuego for five years to allow for "market and currency alignment".

The Accran referendum resulted in 82.34% of votes being in favour of the admission of the State of Acca to the Union, whilst the second referendum resulted in 55.48% of votes being in favour of the admission of a united dominion of Tierra del Fuego and the Falkland Islands to the Union. The British Government promised to implement the results of the referendum, by acting upon the provisions set out in the 2019 Accession Act, and both new dominions were due to be admitted to the Union on 22 July 2019.

sILD5Og.png

Last edited:
    Most Noble and Most Illustrious Order of the Eagle
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I'm going to have to postpone the British imperial election scheduled for tomorrow until the Summer, most likely either 2 or 9 August.

My current situation in the real world means that I do not have the time I would like to devote to this project, and I have been unable able to structure this election to a level near I think you all deserve.

I will still be updating this thread as and when I complete posts, and I hope to get back into the habit of biweekly news bulletins in due course.

I apologise for the disappointment and thank you all for your continued support. The next update will be Saturday, but until then please enjoy this brief snapshot of something unique:

90oPyaR.png

The Most Noble and Most Illustrious Order of the Eagle, commonly known as the Order of the Eagle, is a British order of chivalry associated with Britain-in-America, founded by Frederick I in 1751 after his coronation as King-Emperor. The Order was created at the request of the First Minister of Virginia, Richard Henry Lee, and George Washington to reward Americans for their political support to the new monarch. The Order's primary emblem is the eagle, an important symbol of British America, and the motto is In Memoriam In Spem (Latin for "In memory in hope"). Appointments are made at the Sovereign's sole discretion. Membership of the Order is limited to the Sovereign, the Prince of Chesapeake, the Prince of Appalachia, and no more than 48 living members, or Companions. The order also includes supernumerary knights and ladies (e.g., members of the British Royal and Imperial Family and foreign monarchs, mainly those from the Americas).

Traditionally, reigning American monarchs are admitted to the Order as Strangers, and currently Ramón IV of California, Luis II of Peru, Juan IV of Argentina, Fernando VIII of Cuba, and Pedro V of Brazil are Stranger Knights of the Eagle. No Mexican or Haitian monarch has ever been admitted to the Order. The President of Texas is traditionally admitted after their inauguration, an honour retained, but rarely used, by all previous and current presidents. New appointments to the Order of the Eagle are often announced on 30 June, the date Frederick I was proclaimed as "Emperor of All Britain" in 1751. Although most British orders of chivalry cover the entire empire, the five most exalted ones each pertain to one constituent country or region only. By convention, Knights and Ladies of the Order of Eagle have a connection to the American Dominions, and a longstanding tradition is that an American imperial prime minister will be appointed to the Order after their resignation at the next available vacancy. Knights and Ladies Companion use the post-nominal letters "KE" and "LE" respectively.

qerf8qy.png

Last edited:
    Acadiana; 2015 legislative election; Prince of Acadiana; Cajuns & Cajun French
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    So this is a part of the Empire that I've really wanted to share for sometime. I know that I've promised some further constituency boxes for people, and I will be working on them in coming weeks, but this is definitely one of the most distinctive regions of Empire, and indeed one of the most interesting divergences from OTL in the series.

I hope you enjoy this look at the Bayou State:

90oPyaR.png

5SR65oB.png

BBC Breaking News

NEW ORLEANS - Flags are flying at half mast across Acadiana today after The Cabildo announced the death of the Prince of Acadiana, Charles-Henri de Bonaparte-Noailles, in the late hours of yesterday evening. The 93 year-old prince, who was hospitalised on 19 November after a serious fall, had been suffering from ongoing health issues over the last two years, including several extended stays at the Hôtel-Dieu in New Orleans. His last public appearance was during the celebrations of his ninety-third birthday in July of this year, and he had delegated many of his viceregal responsibilities, including the opening of the Acadiana State Legislature, to his son, and successor, Jérôme IV.

Charles-Henri was the eighth Prince of Acadiana, and at the time of his death was the longest serving viceregal palatine in the Empire, having reigned since the death of his father Jérôme III in 1971. His tenure as prince saw the worst of the Louisiana Troubles, and he narrowly avoided assassination attempts on three separate occasions in the late 70s and early 80s. Many politicians have attributed the success of the Good Friday Agreement in Acadiana to be due in part to his outspoken public support for the agreement, a rare foray into politics of the politically neutral palatines, and he was a signatory to the agreement in 1999. Charles-Henri's role as viceregal palatine has also come under scrutiny, with the rise to prominence of the Cajun nationalist Parti de la Nation Cajun (PdlNC), which has made public its opposition to the hereditary position. Many have speculated that his death will renew calls for a review of the position of Prince of Acadiana.

The prince's personal life had been marred by tragedy, his first wife died in childbirth in 1963, whilst his second wife passed away in 2004 due to complications from ovarian cancer. Of his five children, three predeceased him, whilst his youngest surviving son was implicated in a coup attempt in the Gabon Republic alongside the current Earl of Kesteven. Despite this, the prince remained an incredibly popular figure amongst Cajuns throughout his life, as a symbol of strength and stability during the Troubles, however his eldest son and successor, Jérôme IV, is less popular than his father and only time will tell if the new prince can succeed in his role.

NiPGNRG.png

The State of Acadiana, occasionally referred to as the Principality of Acadiana or the Cajun State, is a state of the Union of Louisiana, covering the southernmost part of the country along the Gulf Coast, bordered by the Free State of Florida and the Carolinian state of Mississippi to the east, South Arkansaw to the north, the Republic of Texas to the west, and the Gulf of Mexico to the south. Acadiana is the only part of Louisiana, and the only region of Southern British America, where Francophones make up a majority of the population.

Modern Acadiana was inhabited by Native American for millennia prior to the arrival of Europeans in the 16th century, and their legacy can be seen in many place names that are transliterations of those used in various Native American languages, as well as the First Nation territories located across the state. Spain became the first European nation to visit the mouth of the Mississippi in 1528, although Spanish interest in the region faded in favour of Central America. French interest began in the late 17th century, when they established settlements along the Mississippi and the Red River of the South. Natchitoches, in the northwest of the state, was established in 1714 and is the oldest permanent European settlement in the modern state of Acadiana, its strategic location as a river port and crossroads resulted in rapid development and soon other settlements were established, including the capital New Orleans. After the Seven Years' War, France ceded its territory west of the Mississippi to Britain, although it was able to retain control of the colony of Louisiana, which covered much of what is now Louisiana and Missouri. In the 1760s, several thousand Acadian refugees made their way to the region after being expelled from their homelands, settling across the south and southeast of the colony and establishing themselves in what would become known as Acadiana. During the 1790s and early 1800s immigrants also came from the colony of Saint-Domingue in the Caribbean, and over the years thousands of ethnic Europeans, free people of colour and African slaves arrived in Acadiana. The influx of Francophones reinforced the prevalence of the French-language in the area, whilst intermarriage between the groups of new immigrants, colonial settlers and Acadian refugees gave rise to the modern language of Cajun French and the Cajun people. Africans, both freed and slave, also brought with them their cultural traditions, which has given rise to a unique Cajun culture.

A bastion of French royalist support, colonial Louisiana initially resisted overtures from the revolutionary French government to join the new republic, and although the authorities publicly declared themselves opposed to the French Revolution, they did not attempt to declare independence due to a fear of the response in Britain's American colonies. However Napoleon's victory in the War of the Third Coalition led to a shift in the mood in colonial Louisiana, and in early 1806 Donatien-Marie-Joseph de Rochambeau, who had escaped the British at Saint-Dominigue into exile in New Orleans became the colonial governor and declared Louisiana's allegiance to the First French Empire. On 30 April 1806, British American forces launched an attack across the Mississippi to capture the settlement of Saint-Louis, beginning another theatre in the Napoleonic Wars that would be referred to as the Conquest of Louisiana. Lacking a significant military presence, and facing the unlikelihood of reinforcements from Europe, due in part to British naval dominance, the conquest of Louisiana lasted eight months and culminated with the Battle of New Orleans. During the battle de Rochambeau was killed and Pierre Clément de Laussat, his deputy, surrendered the city to British forces. On 18 January 1807, the French tricolore was lowered and the British Union flag raised in its place, although British control would not be formally recognised by France until the 1814 Congress of Vienna formally ceded the territory to Britain. The invasion of Louisiana had seen French royalists take up arms against their neighbours by fighting alongside the British, and in the post-conquest years tensions were high both between Cajuns themselves, and newly arrived immigrants from Britain and Europe. In an effort to ensure the loyalty of his new French-speaking subjects, as well as to repeat the success of the hereditary position of Lord Governor of Quebec, King-Emperor George III granted Louis de Noailles, an exiled French nobleman who led French royalists during the war, the title of Prince of Acadiana as palatine of the territory of Acadiana.

At the time of the Slavery Abolition Act in 1833, nearly 40% of the state's total population was enslaved, but despite the strong economic interests of the white elite in preserving the institution of slavery, full emancipation was enacted across the state in the following decade. During the Republican Rebellion (1848-1851), Acadiana saw some of the worst fighting, particularly urban warfare within the major cities of New Orleans and Vermilionville, as the secessionist Cajun Republic led by Alexandre Mouton attempted to secede from British control. A major fact in the Cajun uprising was the emancipation of the slaves a decade previous, and the economic impacts it had had on state. The republic was quickly defeated in 1849 when Vermilionville was recaptured by British forces, although its leaders fled into exile in South Haiti, where they established a government-in-exile that persists to this day. In 1861, Acadiana was united with the Arkansaws and the Indian Territory to form the Union of Louisiana. Under imperial law, freed men and people of colour were granted full citizenship and voting rights, however the white-dominated legislature passed laws effectively disenfranchising blacks and peoples of colour, a situation that would continue until the late 20th century.

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, particularly following the 1876 Acts of Union, Acadiana was dominated politically by various populist movements, whilst the rights of the black and creole population were reppressed. During the First World War, coastal Acadiana suffered bombing raids from Mexican air and naval forces, and parts of New Orleans were devastated when a Mexican warship bombarded the city. The interwar period saw the controversial tenure of Huey Long as Louisiana First Minister, and the rise to prominence of the Labour Party, leading to an increase in anti-Catholic sentiment and laying the foundations of the later Troubles. The Second World War created many jobs in the state, with the rise of the defence industry, whilst the post-war period saw many Cajuns migrating to other parts of the Empire to escape social oppression. The decades long ethnic and sectarian conflict, known as the Louisiana Troubles, began in the 1960s as a result of a civil rights campaign to end discrimination against blacks, aboriginals and Catholics. The conflict has shaped modern Cajun society, seeing the creation of paramilitary groups like the Cajun Republican Army and deployment of the British Army across the state. Sectarian violence and terrorism characterised Acadiana's history until the late 1990s, when the Good Friday "Saint-Louis" Agreement led to a ceasefire between the paramilitary groups and British security forces.

Modern Acadiana is a region characterised by a diverse multicultural population, having been influenced by a mixture of French, English, Native American and African cultures, making it unique within the Empire. Acadiana remains dominated by Catholics, with a significant Baptist population, and recent decades has seen the rise of nationalist and sovereignist movements, such as the Parti de la Nation Cajun, that advocate for Cajun secession from the Union. The economy of Acadiana is heavily dominated by the agricultural industry, with a growing tourism and film industry, the latter centred around Tremé in New Orleans. Due to the state's location along the Gulf Coast , it has regularly suffered the effects of tropical storms and hurricanes, with one of the worst being Hurrican Katrina that hit in August 2005 and caused extensive damage and flooding in New Orleans and other low lying parts of the state.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2015 Acadiana legislative election was held on 7 December 2015 to elect, under the jackpot majority bonus system, the 141 members of the National Assembly, 86 from single-member districts and 55 from a statewide party list. Under the Acadiana electoral system, the party that wins a plurality of the popular vote receives an additional seat bonus from the party list to give them 72 seats overall, thus ensuring a functioning majority, whilst the second-largest party receives the remaining party list seats.

The incumbent centrist Union Populaire (UP) government, led by Chief Minister Charlie Melançon, was forced to call an early election after several backbenchers threatened to vote with the opposition against the government's proposed budget, partially in opposition over the lack of funding for renewable energy and flood defences. Despite overtures from the centre-left Parti Socialiste (PS), who offered to support the government in exchange for concessions on minimum wage and worker rights, the UP were unable to secure a majority in the National Assembly, and Melançon requested that the Prince dissolve the legislature in preparation for an early election.

In a tight and hard fought election campaign, the UP narrowly polled ahead of the opposition centre-left Parti de la Nation Cajun (PdlNC), but the PdlNC and their focus on infrastructure spending, improved flood defences and continued redevelopment of areas affected by Hurricane Katrina led to significant gains amongst all voters. The UP led a campaign centred around continuity, and focused on diversifying the state economy with increased investment in the growing technology industry. As election day approached, the polls narrowed, with many predicting the two parties to be tied in the popular vote. However a late surge in support for the PdlNC came after leader Jacques Roy pledged not to focus on the independence issue for his first term, resulting in many undecideds choosing to back his party. The results on election night saw the PdlNC secure a majority, whilst the UP were reduced to 45 seats.

Of the other opposition parties, the moderate conservative Alliance Nationale (AN) under Wilbert Tauzin saw a decline in seats and overall votes, largely attributed to the UP's shift to the right on certain issues attracting support away from the AN. The PS saw their support almost double, primarily amongst inner city black creoles, although this didn't translate into a significant gain in seats, whilst the centre-right Avenir Démocratique (AD) managed to hold their four seats dispute losing votes. A major surprise in the results came when Marie Hébert, leader of the Démocrates Indépendants (DI), unseated former Chief Minister Charles Auradou from his seat in Saint-Rose—Lafreniere, doubling her party's representation in the National Assembly.

On election night, Melançon conceded the result and announced his intention to step down as party leader when a successor had been elected. Roy was sworn in as the next Chief Minister of Acadiana the following day.

NiPGNRG.png

The Prince of Acadiana (French: Prince d’Acadiane) is the hereditary viceregal palatine of Acadiana, acting as the viceroy of the state for the British Crown. The title, along with quasi-independent jurisdiction over modern-day Acadiana and the Arkansaws, was first granted to Louis de Noailles, an exiled French nobleman who led French royalist forces to fight with the British during the Conquest of Louisiana. For services rendered to the Crown, and in an effort to ensure the loyalty of his new French-speaking subjects in the conquered territories of colonial Louisiana, King-Emperor George III granted de Noailles the titles Prince of Acadiana and Duke of New Orleans. At the same time de Noailles was created Vicomte de Noailles in the Peerage of America, although this title separated from the Princedom in 1835, and remains extant.

Although historically enjoying special authority and autonomy from the rest of the British colonial possessions in North America, the influence and power of the prince declined significantly following the Republican Rebellion (1848-1851) when much of Acadiana erupted into full-scale rebellion against the Crown. Although the 3rd Princess of Acadiana, Anne-Marie de Noailles, swayed many to the side of the loyalists, her power, and that of other palatines, was curtailed by the signing of the Anglo-American Compromise, and the creation of the Union of Louisiana in 1861 further reduced her position to that of a ceremonial figurehead. Concerns over her marriage to Jérôme Bonaparte-Patterson, nephew of the French Emperor Napoleon, also contributed to the decline in political power for the family, and upon his succession in 1888 their son, Jérôme I de Bonaparte-Noailles, inherited a relatively powerless position.

The incumbent prince is Jérôme IV de Bonaparte-Noailles, who inherited the position upon the death of his father on 16 December 2017.

NiPGNRG.png

Cajuns, also known as Cadiens, are an ethnic group predominantly living in the state of Acadiana, although smaller populations exist in neighbouring South Arkansaw, Florida and Texas. Although in its strictest definition, "Cajun" refers to those individuals descended from Acadians, French-speakers exiled from Acadia (what is now the New England provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia), it has taken on a much broader meaning to encompass all francophones in Acadiana. The Great Upheaval during the Seven Years' War saw the mass deportation of Acadians from their homelands to the French colony of Louisiana, where many resettled in modern Acadiana and intermarried with the established Francophone colonists. Many Cajuns fought with the French during the Conquest of Louisiana, a theatre of the Napoleonic Wars that resulted in Britain occupying the French colony, and throughout the 19th century they resisted British rule through both passive and armed resistance.

Today Cajuns make up a majority of the population of the state of Acadiana, and are one of the three recognised cultural, ethnic and linguistic groups within Louisiana, along with Arkansawyers and Amerindians. Having been repressed and heavily impacted by Anglophone dominance before and during the Louisiana Troubles, Cajuns now enjoy equal representation within the Louisiana General Assembly and the Louisiana Federal Government. The British imperial government also recognises them as a minority ethnic group.

NiPGNRG.png

Cajun French is a variety of the French language spoken primarily in Acadiana, specifically in the southern, central and eastern parishes, though substantial minorities exist across Louisiana and southeast Texas as well. Cajun French is derived from the intermingling of the dialect brought by the Acadian exiles with the original Colonial French dialect spoken by soldiers and settlers in French Louisiana prior to the arrival of the Acadians in the 1760s. The language also incorporates elements and words of African, Spanish, Native American and English origin, further distinguishing it from the extant dialect of Acadian French still spoken in parts of New England. Considered a single language, there is still considerable regional variation across Acadiana, and even between neighbouring parishes.

Although spoken by most inhabitants of Acadiana, regardless of ethnic origin, some Black Creoles speak Kreyol, a distinct creole language that is a mixture of pre-Acadian colonial French, Spanish, African and Native American languages, and the northern parishes along the Red River of the South have significant English-speaking populations.

Er00llv.png

Last edited:
    Barbara Bush
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    That's the greatest update I've ever seen in this thread that I didn't know I needed until now; British American peerages! :biggrin:

EDIT; WRT Texan presidents being honorary Stranger Knights, now I can't unsee somebody jousting at a tourney in cowboy boots and a Stetson hat!

Haha that would be brilliant!

I've got a big article-thing planned for peerages, looking at how they're organised and some of the more prominent alternate ones.

DOUBLE EDIT: Don't worry about slowing down in updates, the important thing is quality. Keep up the good work (at your own pace)!
    I understand very well on the delay and wish you well till you return (hopefully full-time) in Summer.
    I totally understand if you need time and am definitely willing to wait for what I know will be an incredible end product. :)
    Seconded.

Thanks everyone for your understanding and support :D

This isn't the main update for this weekend, but I thought it would be appropriate to look at Barbara Bush's counterpart.

I'm totally stealing a concept from @Kanan and her amazing Our Fair Country series. If you haven't checked it out then seriously what is wrong with you!

90oPyaR.png

Barbara Bush, Countess Bush of Kennebunkport MBE DNE (née Pierce; 8 June 1925 – 17 April 2018) was the 17th Viceroy of New England, and the wife of George H. W. Bush, who was the 28th Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Empire. Bush was also the mother of George W. Bush, the 31st Prime Minister, John Bush, the 31st First Minister of Carolina, and Marvin Bush, a member of the Virginia House of Delegates.

Barbara Pierce was born in the suburban town of Rye, part of the New York borough of Greenburgh, where she was raised and educated until 1940, when she attended the boarding school Ashley Hall in Charleston, Clarendon. Pierce met George H. W. Bush when she was 16 at a dance in Greenwich, Connecticut, and after 18 months the two became engaged to be married. When he returned on leave in 1945 they were married in Rye, and for the first year of their marriage, the Bushes moved around eastern British America, to places including Ontario, Maryland, and Virginia. Over the next 13 years, George and Barbara Bush had six children, five of whom survived to adulthood. After the end of the Second World War, the Bushes resided for a time in New England, where George was studying at Yale University. The young family soon moved to the Canadian province of Alberta, where George entered the oil business, before moving to Los Angeles, California, and then to Midland, Comancheria in Texas, before settling permanently in Maine. Over time, George built a business in the oil industry and joined with colleagues to start up the successful Zapata Corporation.

During her husband's tenure as Prime Minister, Barbara became the first spouse to actively pursue their own charitable causes and projects, and Bush used her high profile position to promote literacy across the Empire and Commonwealth. She became involved with many literacy organisations, served on literacy committees and chaired many reading organisations. During the Bushes time at Downing Street, staff generally found them to be the friendliest and most easygoing of the residents with whom they dealt. After her husband lost the 1993 imperial election, the Bushes moved to their home in Kennebunkport, Maine, whilst George remained in the Imperial Parliament until 1997. In the 1995 New Year's Honours list, Barbara was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire and Commonwealth (MBE) by Paul Tsongas, for her services to literacy. Upon her husband's retirement from Parliament, he was raised to the peerage as Earl Bush of Kennebunkport, and Barbara gained the courtesy title of Countess, although she generally disliked using the title except in formal situations. Her strong public profile, and tireless campaigning on numerous issues, meant that after the sudden illness and death of New England Viceroy Madeline Wolfson in 1999 First Minister Chris Shays offered her the position, which she accepted. Barbara was appointed as viceroy by Queen-Empress Elizabeth II in December 1999, and occupied the post until she was succeeded by Sir Paul G. Kirk in 2006.

Bush passed away in her Kennebunkport home at the age of 92 on 17 April 2018, after suffering a short period of ill health and hospitalisations. She was surrounded by her husband, surviving children, and many of her grandchildren. Her son John Bush had recently been elected First Minister of Carolina, and confirmed he would take a short leave of absence. Prime Minister Sylvia Lim sent condolences to the family, praising her "years of tireless public service", whilst the Queen-Empress expressed sadness at her passing. Former Prime Ministers James Carter, Richard Gephardt, and Henry Hayes also sent condolences, as did some foreign leaders including Soviet President Dimitry Medvedev, Nordic Chancellor Jyrki Katainen, and Chinese President Zhang Deijang. First Minister Petar MacÀidh ordered flags across New England to half-staff in Barbara Bush's memory. Bush's funeral and burial was held at St. Ann's Church in Kennebunkport on 21 April 2018. Representatives in attendance were former Prime Ministers Richard Gephardt and Henry Hayes, former Deputy Prime Minister Hillary Clinton, and fellow spouses Jane Gephardt, Eleanor Hayes, and Olivia Chow. Also in attendance was New England First Minister Petar MacÀidh, former First Ministers Robertson, Dukakis, Shays, Kerry, Coakley, and former Californian Prime Minister Ronaldo Dellums.

PwsaNLe.png

Last edited:
    John F. Kennedy; Robert F. Kennedy; Edward "Ted" Kennedy
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    To celebrate the New Year (and with some credit to the New York Times for inspiration), here's a quick rundown of some of TTL's bestsellers:

Love it :D

I'm not sure if you want to add another one from me, but I think I live right on the border of two constituencies, so whichever one has Plantation FL and Fort Lauderdale in it would be great.

Will do :) That would be Fort Lauderdale—Miami Norte.

Anyway, I think quite a few people have asked about how the Kennedy brothers fared ITTL. So I finally got round to finishing their infoboxes and biographies, and I'm testing a new idea for showing regional news bulletins using a different header:

90oPyaR.png

N2Nzq2w.png

Lord Kennedy passes away aged 92

MCLEAN, VIRGINIA – A spokesperson for the Kennedy family has confirmed that Robert F. Kennedy, 1st Viscount Kennedy, passed away peacefully this morning at his home in McLean, Virginia surrounded by his family. Lord Kennedy, who was 92, had been suffering from an unspecified illness in recent weeks and had been hospitalised in Alexandria over the Christmas period. He is survived by his wife, nine children, and thirty-four grandchildren. Lord Kennedy was the last living son of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr., 2nd Duke of Barnstable, the brother of John F. Kennedy, 3rd Duke of Barnstable and Lord Edward Kennedy, and the grandfather of Joseph P. Kennedy III, who currently represents Cape Cod and the Islands in the Imperial Parliament. His grandson described him as "a good and decent man, who saw wrong and tried to right it", whilst his niece Caroline Kennedy, 5th Duchess of Barnstable, who currently serves as the British Ambassador to Japan, issued a statement calling him a "giant of our time, who saw it as a moral responsibility to try and heal the world".

Robert Kennedy was the last of the Kennedy brothers, who all left their mark on New England and across the Empire through their politics and charitable work. In this special documentary we look at the lives of the Three Kennedys:

NiPGNRG.png

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 3rd Duke of Barnstable OM CMG MB CNE PC (29 May 1917 – 23 August 1997), commonly referred to by his initials JFK and styled as Earl Kennedy between 1944 and 1969, was a British politician, statesman and diplomat from New England who served as leader of the Imperial Council of Lords between 1976 and 1979, and again from 1981 to 1984, and was the British Ambassador to the United Nations from 1987 to 1992.

Born in Brookline, Massachusetts, the second child of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr., the heir to Dukedom of Barnstable, and his wife Rose Fitzgerald, daughter of John F. Fitzgerald, 1st Baron Fitzgerald. As the second son, the young Kennedy was not expected to inherit the dukedom, and he grew up in the shadow of his older brother, Joseph Jr., in Brookline and The Bronx in New York. During his youth, Kennedy would be plagued by health problems that would affect him for the rest of his life, although he graduated from Harvard University in 1940. With the outbreak of the Second World War, Kennedy convinced his father, now the Duke, to use his influence to get him into the Royal Navy. During his service in the Solomon Islands as commander of a patrol torpedo boat, Kennedy earned a Wound Stripe and Medal of Bravery for his actions in saving the lives of injured sailors when their boat was sunk by a Chinese destroyer. Kennedy swam injured, and with an injured crew member held by his teeth, to a nearby island where the surviving crew were rescued.

After being honourably discharged from the Navy in 1945 for health reasons, Kennedy returned to Boston a widely known war hero and prodigal son. With the death of his eldest brother a year earlier, Kennedy was now the heir to the dukedom, however this did not derail his father’s plans for a political career. After a brief period as a journalist, Kennedy won election to the New England House of Commons as the MP for Cambridge, and during his time in the New England Parliament Kennedy was known as a vocal and passionate orator, and he served on the Education and Labour Committee. In 1953 he married Jacqueline Bouvier, with whom he would have two children who survived childhood. The unexpected resignation of Foster Furcolo from the Imperial Parliament in 1955, which many believe may have been at the urging of the Duke, Kennedy announced his candidacy for the Liberals at the 1955 election in Boston North and Cambridge. In the ensuing election Kennedy would secure a slim victory over the Social Democrats, and his younger brother Robert would succeed him as the MP for Cambridge.

Entering the Imperial Parliament as one of the few new Liberal MIPs after the defeat of Truman’s government by the Conservatives under Robert Menzies, Kennedy found himself part of the formal opposition in the House of Commons and was a prominent critic of the government. During the late 1950s Kennedy was a member of the Foreign Affairs and Veterans’ Affairs select committees, and in 1962 he supported Adlai Stevenson II in his bid to remain as leader of the Liberals. At the same convention, Kennedy was elected deputy leader of the party, but he declined to take up a formal opposition portfolio, instead attacking the opposition across the board. Many commentators and party insiders predicted that Kennedy was a potential party leader, and when Stevenson died suddenly in 1965, he was the front-runner to replace him. The 1965 leadership election saw Kennedy fighting against Paul Martin Sr. of Canada, and although the older and more experienced former Health Secretary narrowly beat the young Kennedy, he remained as deputy leader.

When his father died in 1969, Kennedy became the third Duke of Barnstable and was forced to vacate his seat in the Commons to take up a hereditary seat in the Lords, although he remained deputy leader of the Liberals until Thomas Eagleton was chosen to replace him the following year. The Kirk reforms of the early 1970s saw most hereditary peers removed from the Lords, and although Kennedy had the opportunity to attempt to re-enter the house, he opted to stay in the Lords as one of the few peerages elected to remain. The holder of the Dukedom of Barnstable has been a permanent member of the Imperial Council ever since. In the Lords, Kennedy became one of the most widely travelled members, and took a keen interest on foreign affairs, speaking on issues such as the Second Indochina War and the replacement of the colonial empire with the Commonwealth.

The Duke would go on to serve as the Leader of the Imperial Council and Lord Privy Seal in both the Trudeau and Carter governments, becoming renowned across the Empire as an elder statesman. His support for internationalism, and keen insight and knowledge of foreign affairs, led to Margaret Thatcher appointing him Ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, a position he held from 1987 until ill health forced him to retire in 1992. Returning to Massachusetts, he passed his responsibilities in the Imperial Council to his son and heir, and devoted his remaining years to philanthropy and charitable causes. The Duke would pass away in his sleep on 23 August 1997 at the family home in Hyannis Port, and was succeeded in his titles by his son John Jr., and upon his death in 1999 by his daughter Caroline.

NiPGNRG.png

Robert Francis Kennedy, 1st Viscount Kennedy KE OBE KNE PC JD (20 November 1925 – 4 January 2018), commonly known as “Bobby” and referred to by his initials RFK, was a New England politician and lawyer who served as the 19th First Minister of New England from June 1968 until July 1981, and was the longest serving first minister in New England history. He would go on to serve as the British High Commissioner to California from 1982 until 1985.

Born in Brookline, Massachusetts, the seventh child and third son of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. and Rose Fitzgerald, the future Duke and Duchess of Barnstable, the age gap between Kennedy and his older brothers meant that they did not get to know each other until 1951 when they embarked on a trip across Asia. Attending boarding schools in New York and Massachusetts, Kennedy would go on to enlist in the Royal Naval Reserve in 1944, and served until his honourable discharge in 1946. After the war he entered Harvard University, graduating in 1948 with a degree in political science before enrolling in the law school at the University of Charlottesville in Virginia. In 1950 he married Ethel Skakel, with whom he would have eleven children, and following his graduation they settled in Boston where he worked as a reporter for the Boston Post.

Although at first disinterested in a career in politics, in the wake of his eldest brother’s death in 1944, John’s inevitable succession to the peerage, and Ted’s break with their father over him joining the Army, Kennedy became the standard bearer for his father’s political ambitions. When his brother was elected to the Imperial Parliament in 1955, Kennedy succeeded him as MP for Cambridge in the by-election. Soft-spoken, passionate and reliable, the young Kennedy caught the attention of First Minister John William McCormack, who appointed him as Minister of Justice in 1961, a position he held until the Liberal’s defeat in 1963. In the 1964 leadership election to replace McCormack, Kennedy was, despite his lack of experience, a frontrunner and won the election in a landslide. At the 1968 federal election he led the Liberals to victory over the Conservatives led by Henry Cabot Lodge Jr., part of the “Social Surge” across the Empire in the late 1960s, becoming First Minister of New England at the age of 43.

The Kennedy government focused their efforts on securing racial and social equality, championing tax reform and improved social support and infrastructure development. He also oversaw the decentralisation of power from the federal government to the provinces and towns of New England. Kennedy would also lead the fight to tackle organised crime across British America, and his government successfully abolished the death penalty in New England in 1970. His government was incredibly popular amongst New Englanders, although the rise in support for the Progressive Democrats, led by his brother Ted at the 1975 and 1979 elections forced the party to move to the centre and court moderate-leaning conservatives, during a period known as the “Kennedy years” when the two brothers dominated the centre and left of New England politics. Ultimately the Kennedy government simply ran out of steam, and at the 1981 election the party haemorrhaged support to the Progressive Democrats and the “small c” conservatives led by Brenda Robertson, Kennedy left office and resigned the party leadership on election night, although he narrowly held his seat.

In 1982, Kennedy was nominated as the British High Commissioner to California by James Carter, mainly at the urging of his older brother, and he took up the post on 13 April 1982, vacating his seat in the New England House of Commons. His tenure as high commissioner was uneventful until 22 September 1984, when a Granadine immigrant attempted to assassinate Kennedy and Californian Prime Minister Matheo Martínez at a meeting in San Francisco. Although both men survived the attempt, Kennedy took a bullet in his left arm whilst shielding the prime minister, and his injuries led to him retiring in 1985. The assassination attempt was motivated by Britain and California’s efforts to intervene in the Granadine Crisis and their perceived support for the government at the time. Upon his resignation, Kennedy was made a Knight of the Order of the Eagle and raised to the peerage as Viscount Kennedy, of Cambridge in the Province of Massachusetts in the Commonwealth of New England.

During his retirement, the Viscount took up many philanthropic endeavours, and he and his wife settled at Hickory Hall near Alexandria, Virginia. He also became a prominent elder statesman throughout the Empire, and guest lectured at the universities of Fredericksburg and New York. The Viscount would pass away on 4 January 2018 at his home in Virginia after a short illness, and at the time of his death he was the last surviving Kennedy brother. He was succeeded in his titles by his eldest son, and former MIP for Boston Centre, Joseph P. Kennedy II. His grandson Joseph P. Kennedy III is currently the member of the Imperial Parliament for Cape Cod and the Islands.

NiPGNRG.png

Lord Edward Moore Kennedy OBE KNE PC (22 February 1932 – 25 August 2009), commonly known as Ted Kennedy, was a New England politician who served as the leader of the New England Social Democrats (1970-75) and Progressive Democrats (1975-81) and as the 7th Secretary of State for Infrastructure and Urban Development between 1981 and 1984. He would late serve as a member of the New England Senate from Masschusetts between 1995 to 2007.

Born in Boston, Massachusetts, the ninth and youngest child of the Duke and Duchess of Barnstable, Kennedy's childhood was spent in New York, Massachusetts and England, where his formal education began. Although he was comparable unfavourably to his older brothers, and was a described as a mediocre student, the youngest Kennedy excelled at sports, especially gridiron football and rugby union. Originally entering Harvard University in 1950, Kennedy was expelled for cheating in a Spanish exam the next year and ultimately enlisted in the British Army. Although he signed up for a four-year term, his father's intervention reduced it to two years and led to their estrangement for the remainder of the older Kennedy's life, especially after his father prevented him from serving in active combat. Discharged from the Army in 1953, Kennedy re-entered Harvard and graduated in 1956 with a bachelor's degree in history and government. He would subsequently attend the law school at the University of Charlottesville, like his older brother Robert, and graduated in 1959. In 1958 he had married Joan Bennett, and together they had three children, although the pair divorced in 1982.

Returning to Boston, Kennedy started working for the Crown Prosecution Service in Massachusetts, where he came face-to-face with crime and social deprivation in some of the cities poorest areas. This experience shifted his political views to the left in favour of social democracy, and in 1961 he joined the local branch of the Social Democrats. Despite not intending to seek public office, the sudden resignation of Arthur Frawley, the Liberal MP for Lynn, in June 1963 after a heart attack led local activists to draft Kennedy as their candidate. In a tight fought election race, the young Kennedy won the by-election and entered the New England House of Commons on 15 August 1963 at the age of 31. Avoiding publicity during his early years as a member of parliament, Kennedy focused on committee work and local issues in his constituency. At the 1970 leadership election to replace Edmund Muskie, Kennedy was a dark horse candidate drafted in at the end of the convention when it seemed no other candidate could unite the party. His close relationships with many in the declining Progressive party were seen as beneficial, and on the final day of voting he was elected party leader unopposed. Almost immediately upon his election, Kennedy embarked on a campaign to "unite the left" by merging the New England Progressive and Social Democrats into a single party. His efforts succeeded and in 1975 the Progressive Democratic Party of New England was formed, with Kennedy as it's first leader.

The 1975 election saw the now united part of the centre-left nearly displace the Conservatives as the official opposition to Kennedy's brother Robert's governing Liberals. Although the two Kennedy's found common cause on many issues, and indeed the PDP voted with the Liberals on several key pieces of legislation, the two brothers differed on things like privatisation of council homes and funding of the railways and health service. Whilst Kennedy lacked the passion and drive of his brother, he made up for it with his oratory skills and diligent work ethic. Many of his speeches on the house floor have gone down in history. The 1979 election saw the reversal of many of the PDP gains as the Conservatives and Liberals rallied, and in 1981 Kennedy was elected to the Imperial Parliament on the imperial Social Democratic list. He resigned from the House of Commons and the party leadership, and was announced as the Secretary of State for Infrastructure and Urban Development in the incoming Liberal Carter government, which was in coalition with the SDP and the Progressives. Kennedy's time as Infrastructure Secretary saw him focus on improving housing provision and access to basic services in many of the poorest and deprived areas across the Empire, predominantly in the cities of Britain-in-America

With Carter's defeat in the 1984 election, Kennedy returned to the backbenches of the Social Democrats, focusing again on behind-the-scenes work on the various committees he served on. In 1988 he supported Lionel Bowen's successful campaign to become party leadership, and was a powerful figure and vocal supporter behind the successful absorption of the Progressive by the Social Democrats in 1991. He would resign from the Imperial Parliament in 1993 and returned to Boston where he worked with his brothers John and Robert on charitable and philanthropic work. In 1995 he was nominated Michael Dukakis to replace Elliot Richardson as a Senator from Massachusetts, and he served until his mandatory retirement at the age of 75. He passed away at the family home in Hyannis Port on 25 August 2009 at the age of 77, after a year-long battle with brain cancer. His two sons are both members of the New England Progressive Democrats, and currently serve in the New England House of Commons.

47aNVg4.png

Last edited:
    Number 10; The Thirteen
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    No worries, it'll come when it comes. I still owe you a response to your comments on TTLs British military and the Scotland update anyway :p

Yeah, unfortunately I'm still hitting a wall with the writing.

I'm afraid there won't be an Oregon update today as I haven't been able to finish the write-up. However I have got a couple of popular culture boxes that you will hopefully find interesting.

90oPyaR.png

Number 10 is an award-winning British serial political drama television series created by Aaron Sorkin which has been broadcast on BBC One since 22 September 1999. The series is primarily set in Number 10 Downing Street, the official residence of the prime minister, and the wider Downing Street Complex where the Oval Office and the senior staff of the Office of the Prime Minister are located. It is the longest-running political drama television series and the most enduring political drama shown on prime time television in the world.

Originally the series featured the fictitious Liberal governments of Josiah Bartlet (played by Martin Sheen) from 1999 to 2007, and Mateo Santos (played by Jimmy Smits) from 2007 to 2012. Following Smits decision to leave the show at the end of the fourteenth season, in 2011 the producers cast Alan Alda as leader of the Conservative opposition, and from 2012 to 2017 the series followed the fictitious Conservative government of his character, Sir Arnold Vinick. Alda's departure at the end of the eighteenth season led to the casting of Lucy Liu as Rachel Liang, the leader of the Social Democratic government formed after a shock election victory in the eighteenth season, with fan favourite Sam Seaborn (played by Rob Lowe) returning as leader of the Liberals and the new Deputy Prime Minister.

0L4Z9Pb.png

The popularity of the show has led to two successful spin-offs:
    The F.D. is set in Texas, in the Federal District of Austin, during the fictitious Christian Democratic ministry of John Hoynes (played by Tim Matheson) from 2004 to 2008, and then his presidency from 2008 to 2014. The show aired from 2004 to 2014 on BBC Worldwide and TBS[1].

Society Hill takes place in Philadelphia and is primarily set in Powel House and the Society Hill area of the city, which is the residence of the Columbian First Minister and where the offices of the first minister's senior staff are located. Society Hill first aired on 17 September 2009 on BBC Columbia and features the fictitious Progressive Liberal government of Camille Marshall (played by Laura Linney).

Plans are also rumoured to be underway by BBC Australia to produce a pilot for an Australian-based spin-off, to be titled "The Lodge", to air in 2018 or 2019.​

Fictional Prime Ministers in Number 10
    1988–1992 D. Wire Newman (Columbia) (LiberalSocial Democratic majority coalition)
    1992–1998 Owen Lassiter (Louisiana) (ConservativeLibertarian majority coalition)
    1998–2007 Josiah Bartlet (New England) (LiberalProgressive Conservative majority coalition, then Liberal majority)
    2007–2012 Mateo Santos (Florida) (Liberal majority)
    2012–2017 Sir Arnold Vinick (Oregon) (ConservativeLibertarian majority coalition)
    2017–2018 Rachel Liang (Columbia) (Social DemocraticLiberal majority coalition)

Fictional Deputy Prime Ministers in Number 10
    1988–1992 Callum Pardey (Australia) (Social Democratic)
    1992–1998 Matt Hunt (Ohio County) (Libertarian)
    1998–2002 Glen Allen Walken (Missouri) (Progressive Conservative)
    2002–2007 Robert Russell (Missouri) (Liberal)
    2007–2012 Eric Baker (Columbia) (Liberal)
    2012–2017 Matt Hunt (Ohio Country) (Libertarian)
    2017–2018 Sam Seaborn (Virginia) (Liberal)

[1] – The Texan Broadcasting Service.

NiPGNRG.png

The Thirteen is a British dystopian alternative history television series produced by Lionsgate Television, CBS Television Studios and Scott Free Productions, that first aired on both CBS and HBO in September 2014.

The series takes place in an alternate version of modern day Britain-in-America, where a failed uprising in the late 18th century (the First American Revolt) by the Thirteen Colonies[2] led to Britain placing the colonies under martial law. A later uprising in the mid to late 19th century (the Second American Revolt) leads to Florida returning to the Spanish Empire and the territories of Carolina, Virginia and the Ohio Country left as lawless regions dominated by constant fighting between various warlords. The series follows characters on both sides of the British occupation whose destinies are changed as they become involved in plans for a Third American Revolt.

oGnRerc.png

Main Cast
    Meagan Good as Mariah Kenney, a young mixed-race woman from New York who is outwardly happy living under British control.
    Robert Hoffman as Adrian Tidwell, Mariah's boyfriend, who is arrested following his brother's suicide bombing. His experience with the authorities causes him to become a new recruit to the underground Free American Army.
    Pascale Bussières as Émilie Dampier, a Québécois nationalist living in secret in exile in New York.
    Daniel Sharman as Lord Reginald Anderson, outwardly the inept younger son of a British peer on his "Grand Tour" trip to America, but secretly an undercover member of the Loyal Sons, the British secret police.
    Jonathan Bailey as Edmund Hall, the squire and valet to Lord Anderson who accompanies him to the Colonies.
    Jeff Hephner as Dylan Brewster, a Colonel in the Free American Army and leader of a group of insurgents in the Appalachia region.
    Elsa Pataky as Ivonne López-Cosio, a native to Spanish Florida travelling north through "Free America" to her arranged marriage.
    Rachael Ancheril as Elizabeth, an escaped "servant" from a plantaton in Georgia who finds an ally in Ivonne.
    Joanna Miles as Martha Lee, Dowager Countess of Philadelphia, a Virginian by birth who now resides in New York and employs Mariah as a companion. A very mysterious individual who hides many secrets in her basement vault.
    Cameron Daddo as Sir Jonathan Maynard, the Australian-born British Resident Commissioner in New York who is investigating the growing resistance in the city.​

The Thirteen has been part of the recent mainstrem surge in interest in the alternative history genre, including TV shows such as Amazon's The Man in the High Castle and Black America, ITV's SS GB and HBO's Confederate.

[2] – Here this refers to Massachusetts, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Last edited:
    Doctor Who
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    So to tide you all over whilst I get my house in order, I give you a bit of popular culture in the form of "the British Empire's favourite alien" - Doctor Who.

This is all the amazing work of @TPL99, with a few amendments/additions from myself. Enjoy :)

90oPyaR.png

Doctor Who is a British science-fiction television show produced by the BBC since 1963. The show depicts the adventures of a Time Lord called "the Doctor", an extraterrestrial being from the planet Gallifrey. The Doctor explores the universe in a time-travelling space ship called the TARDIS, and, accompanied by a vast number of companions, the Doctor combats a variety of foes, while working to save civilisations, planets, and entire alien races as well as helping people in need.

The show is a significant part of British popular culture, and elsewhere it has gained a cult following. It has influenced generations of British television professionals, many of whom grew up watching the series across the Empire, from Alaska to New Zealand. The “classic” version of the show originally ran from November 1963 to December 1989. There was an unsuccessful attempt to revive regular production in May 1996 with a backdoor pilot movie, in the form of a television story titled “Doctor Who: The Enemy Within”, with the Doctor played by Alec Baldwin.

The “new” version of Doctor Who was relaunched in March 2005, and since then has been produced in-house by BBC Wales in Cardiff and BBC New England in Worcester. Doctor Who has also spawned numerous spin-offs, including comic books, films, novels, audio dramas, and the television series Torchwood (2006–2014), The Sorcha Sìne Adventures (2007–2012), K-9 (2009–2011), and Class (2016–present), and has been the subject of many parodies and references in popular culture.

For the eleventh series of the “new” version of Doctor Who, set to air in 2018, the BBC announced that Colm Meaney, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill will join the show as the new companions of the Thirteenth Doctor. The Doctor is currently portrayed by English actress Jodie Whittaker, who took on the role after Tim DeKay's exit in the 2017 Christmas Special "Twice Upon A Time".

NiPGNRG.png

The Doctor, known simply as “Doctor”, “Dr. Who” or “Doctor Who”, is the pseudonym assumed by a centuries-old alien — a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey — who travels through space and time, frequently with his companions, in his dimensionally transcendental – "bigger on the inside" – time machine: the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) which takes on the exterior form of a 1963 police telephone call box, and retains the appearance throughout the show.

Since the show's first episode in 1963, the character has been portrayed by twelve lead actors. The transition to each succeeding actor is explained within the show's narrative through the plot device of "regeneration", a biological function of Time Lords that allows a great change of appearance and cellular structure to recover following a potentially lethal injury. The outgoing Doctor is the Twelfth Doctor, played by Tim DeKay, who succeeded Chris Hemsworth in the role in the 2013 Christmas special "The Time of the Doctor". “The Doctor” has been generally received by the public, with anenduring popularity leading The Daily Telegraph to dub the character "the Empire’s favourite alien". On 1 February 2017, DeKay announced that the tenth series would be his last and on 16 July 2017 Jodie Whittaker was announced as Thirteenth Doctor, becoming the character at “Twice Upon a Time” at Christmas 2017.

The recasting of actors playing the part of the Doctor is explained within the show by the Time Lords' ability to regenerate after suffering illness, mortal injury or old age. The process repairs all damage and rejuvenates the Doctor's body, but as a side effect it changes the physical appearance and personality. This ability was not introduced until producers had to find a way to replace the ailing William Hartnell with Patrick Troughton and was not explicitly called "regeneration" until Vincent Price’s transformation to Leslie Nielsen at the climax of Planet of the Spiders (1974). On screen, the transformation from Hartnell to Troughton was called a "renewal" and from Troughton to Price a "change of appearance".

The regeneration’s original concept was that the Doctor's body would rebuild itself in a younger and healthier form, as the Second Doctor was intended to be a literally younger version of the First Doctor. Biological time would turn back, and several hundred years would get taken off the Doctor's age, rejuvenating him. In practice, however, since the Second Doctor stated his age in the serial "The Tomb of the Cybermen" (1967), his age has been recorded progressively by the ages of another Doctors. In eight out of thirteen transitions, the new actor was younger than their predecessor had been when they began the role. In the revived show, the pattern is resumed with the transition of the Ninth to the Tenth and the Tenth to the Eleventh Doctor, although Steaphan Moffàidh is on record stating the intention was to cast an actor in his mid-30s to 40s for the role of the Eleventh Doctor, despite casting Chris Hemsworth, who is the youngest actor to ever have played the role.

Different actors have used different regional accents in the role. The first two Doctors spoke in Received Pronunciation or "BBC English", as was standard on British television at the time. Vincent Price managed the use of his Missourian accent during all five seasons, being the first British American actor to use it. Leslie Nielsen tried to follow a different take on his Canadian accent, sometimes mixing with an English accent to become a strong feature of his Doctor. Geoffrey Rush and Tom Selleck, respectively, used their strong Australian and Ohioan accents, the latter with some inflections to the French or Gaelic sometimes. Sylvester McCoy and David Tennant both used a very mild version of their own Scottish accents in the role, and Alec Baldwin spoke with a classic Columbian lilt accent. Only rarely is this even addressed in the show, however when the accent of Jackie Chan's Doctor is clearly described as "Kongese", he responds with the line "lots of planets have city-states". Chris Hemsworth tried to escape from “Rush’s notorious accent” and applied a more “palatable” English for the public of the entire Empire. Tim DeKay's portrayal of the Doctor explicitly identified his own accent as "Columbian" after commenting on the English accents of his friends, Jenny Flint and Clarice Oswald, while experiencing post-regeneration trauma in Deep Breath (2014).

Harrison Ford's version of the Doctor was created retroactively as a previously unseen incarnation known as the "War Doctor", who existed outside of the regular numbering system. Ford's character first appears in the series seven finale, "The Name of the Doctor", as a shadowy figure within the Doctor's timeline, playing opposite the Eleventh Doctor (Chris Hemsworth). The origins of the War Doctor are given in the mini-episode "The Night of the Doctor", where the Eighth Doctor (Alec Baldwin) chooses to regenerate into a warrior to fight in the Time War. Digitally restored footage of Ford from Star Wars was used to make the actor appear younger. The only full appearance of Harrison Ford as the War Doctor was in the 50th anniversary special "The Day of the Doctor" where he appears alongside the Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Doctors (Jackie Chan, David Tennant and Chris Hemsworth respectively). The reception of Ford's version of the Doctor was generally positive.

EL1Kx9C.png

Last edited:
    The Thick of It
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    A bit more popular culture here, and this is mostly thanks to @edricwashington who came to me with the original idea that we fleshed out together.

I hope you all enjoy :)

90oPyaR.png

The Thick of It is a Britsh comedy television series that satirises the inner workings of modern British government. It was first broadcast for two short seasons on BBC Four in 2005, initially with a small cast focusing on a government minister, his advisers and their party's spin-doctor. The cast was significantly expanded for two hour-long specials in 2008 to coincide with Christmas and the imperial election, which saw new characters forming the main opposition party added to the cast. These characters continued when the show switched channels to BBC Two for its third season in 2009, now as members of the government in coalition with a third party. A fourth season, broadcast in 2011, featured old characters from all parties, as well as new characters in the Deputy Prime Minister's office. It was followed by a fifth seasons in 2012, which took place after an election and shifted the focus primarily onto the Deputy Prime Minister's office, now in coalition with the former opposition party. Through the following seasons, the Deputy Prime Minister became Prime Minister before losing power and becoming Leader of the Opposition and then heading into another election.

The first four seasons and the two 2008 specials generally focused on the fictional Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship (DoSAC), before shifting in season 4 to focus on the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, and finally in the fifth season focusing entirely on the staff of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. Even though no mention is made of the words "Liberal", "Conservative" and "Social Democrat", it is strongly implied that this is a dramatised reflection of real-life political parties and events, and the portrayal of the various parties references real-life British imperial politics. The series also avoided having the Prime Minister on-screen throughout the first four seasons, referring to them by name or initials only.

The first two seasons, which aired in 2005 and consisted of four episodes each, focused on the blundering Albert Alger (John Michael Higgins), the new head of DoSAC, and his staff. Alger continues as a main character through the 2008 specials, which saw the government and the opposition attempt to handle computer problems in the immigration system, and introduced several opposition cast members. The third season, that aired in 2009 and picks up after an imperial election, sees the former government now in opposition, with Alger, having been blamed for the scandal that triggered the election being "sent to Australia". His successor at DoSAC is Nicola Murray (Julia Morris), a generally well-meaning Australian MIP ostensibly unfit for politics, who is a main character in the third and fourth seasons as part of the "JB" government. Dan Miller (Tony Gardner), the new Leader of the Opposition, appears as the main opposition character, and is shown scheming with the junior coalition party leader, who remains unseen, to bring down the government. These characters remain the main focus throughout season 4, which aired in 2011 and ends with a bruising election campaign and an unclear result.

Season 5 marked a shift in the show's focus and direction, as it saw many long-standing characters leave the show. Airing in 2012, season 5 focused primarily on Dan Miller as the new Prime Minister and the previously unseen deputy PM Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), who is portrayed as having been her party's second choice for leader. Seasons 6 (2013) and 7 (2014) followed the narrative of the coalition government, with Meyer finding herself ignored by Miller, who's party becomes embroiled in a scandal about the health service from their previous time in government. Alongside returning government characters from the first two seasons, and the new staff of Meyer's office, several new and returning opposition characters also appear in these seasons, most notably opposition leader Bill O'Brien (Oliver Platt). Season 7 sees Miller call an election, in which Meyer overtakes his party in seats, despite multiple campaign gaffes and her nearly loosing her seat, and the finale sees Selina Meyer become Prime Minister. Season 8 (2015) closely follows the now Office of the Prime Minister, with many characters from the Miller government departing and new deputy PM Tom James (Hugh Laurie) being introduced. At the end of the season, James and his party leave the coalition and trigger an election, while O'Brien is ousted as leader by Laura Montez (Andrea Savage).

Season 9 (2016) takes place almost exclusively within the narrative of the campaign, which ends with a hung Parliament. After Meyer fails to build a coalition with Tom James or the minor parties, Montez, whose party won a plurality of seats, forms a minority government. Airing in 2017, the tenth season saw a return to the earlier format, following staff within both the Prime Minister's Office and Meyer's team, who now serves as Leader of the Opposition. Meyer sees off a challenge from her former Chancellor of the Exchequer, long-term MIP Andrew Doyle (Phil Reeves) during the season, whilst the Montez government is beset by a refugee crisis in Gibraltar. Jonah Ryan (Timothy Simons) appears more prominently as a new MP from Miller/James’ old party, having previously served as a Downing Street aide in the Miller government, and supports Montez on a budget vote by splitting from his party to form "Team Ryan", the only explicitly named party in the series. The season ends with a flash-forward to 2019 where Montez unexpectedly calls an election that will take place in season 11, which will cover the events of the missing year and a half as well as the election. The show has been commissioned for two more seasons, to air in 2018 and 2019.

GPQgFIj.png

Fictional Prime Ministers in The Thick of It
    2004–2007 Unnamed PM (Liberal majority) (unseen, resigned)
    2007–2009 Stuart Davis (Scotland) (Liberal majority) (unseen)
    2009–2012 "JB" (Virginia) (ConservativeSocial Democratic majority coalition) (unseen)
    2012–2014 Dan Miller (England) (LiberalSocial Democratic majority coalition)
    2014–2016 Selina Meyer (Columbia) (Social DemocraticLiberal majority coalition)
    2016–2019 Laura Montez (Florida) (Conservative minority, then ConservativeTeam Ryan majority coalition)

Fictional Deputy Prime Ministers in The Thick of It
    2004–2009 Dan Miller (England) (Liberal)
    2009–2014 Selina Meyer (Columbia) (Social Democratic)
    2014–2016 Tom James (Ohio Country) (Liberal)
    2016–2017 Position Vacant
    2017–2019 Jonah Ryan (New England) (Team Ryan)

Fictional Leaders of the Opposition in The Thick of It
    2004–2009 "JB" (Virginia) (Conservative) (unseen)
    2009–2012 Dan Miller (England) (Liberal)
    2012–2016 Bill O'Brien (Canada) (Conservative)
    2016–2016 Laura Montez (Florida) (Conservative)
    2016–2019 Selina Meyer (Columbia) (Social Democratic)

Last edited:
    2013 Iranian coup d'état
  • A snapshot from abroad:

The 2013 Iranian coup d'état took place in July of 2013, and was the fifth coup in Iran since the Constitutional Revolution of 1905. On 7 July 2013, elements of the Iranian Armed Forces and National Police, led by General Qasem Soleimani, overthrew the elected government of Iran, led by Prime Minister Mohammad Reza Aref. Aref, whose reformist government had been suffering from defections and instability, was taken into custody, and the Iranian Majlis was dissolved. Upon the dissolution of the Majlis, the military formed the Iranian Stability and Rejuvenation Council, which declared its intent to "restore the strength and glory of the Imperial State". The Council suspended civil liberties, declared a nationwide curfew, and began arresting hundreds of pro-democratic activists and politicians. Shah Reza II quickly affirmed the coup (the second to have occurred during his rule), tacitly approving of the anti-dissident crackdown. While the coup was mostly bloodless, street fighting between police and protesters, along with several firefights between various elements of the police and armed forces, claimed several dozen lives. The Lim government harshly condemned the coup and imposed sanctions on the new government. In 2015, Foreign Secretary David Miliband met with Soleimani to discuss the possibility of sanctions relief, contingent on reform and the resumption of free elections. These talks have stalled, but the junta has announced plans for a referendum on maintaining military rule, scheduled for 2018.

umR2Wdt.png

b270dd90-c4fe-490e-a076-f76ced7130c6

Monarchs of the Balkans
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    Here is an installment that I think is very exciting, the result of a collaboration between myself and @Damian0358 showing some snippets of the history of a region that is quite a bit different than OTL. The full list of the previous monarchs can be found on the next post, but here I present the seven currently reigning Monarchs of the Balkan States:

90oPyaR.png

King Viktor II
    is the ninth, and current, King of the Rumanians since the country gained independence from the Ottoman Empire during the First Balkan War (1813-1815). Viktor is a great-great-great-grandson of the revolutionary Tudor Vladimirescu, later Teodor I, who led the fight for Rumanian independence against the Ottomans and was crowned Prince of Wallachia and Moldavia in 1815, and as such he is also the head of the House of Vladimirescu, the royal family of Rumania.

Born in 1941, less than a year after the assassination of Nicolae III and the accession of his grandfather Viktor I, Viktor was third in line to the throne from birth, and spent his formative years with his mother under armed guard at Peles Castle. After the 1944 coup he and his family moved to live in the capital Bucharest, where they remained even as Rumania fell into the Soviet-aligned Warsaw Pact.

Upon the death of his grandfather in 1953, his uncle became King Alexandru VII, whilst Viktor moved to second in line to the throne after his father. Following his service in the Rumanian Armed Forces, Viktor took on more royal duties, frequently representing Rumania internationally for which he became a symbol amongst the Rumanian people of internationalism. It was while on a state visit to Greece in 1977 that he met Princess Irene, younger sister of King Konstantínos II. After a short courtship and engagement the pair married in Bucharest in 1979, and they have three children.

Despite being able to live for a time out of the spotlight, the sudden death of his uncle and accession of his father in 1986 placed Viktor firmly in the public eye as Crown Prince. He was a prominent figure in Rumania during the Revolutions of 1989, also known as the Velvet Revolution, and has been a strong advocate of positive relations with both the Soviet Union and the United Empire.

Since his accession in 1999 Viktor has taken a more nuanced aproach to voicing political opinions, despite Rumania being one of the few monarchies where the head of state still plays an active role in government, and many have seen his reign as a natural end to the progression away from the semi-absolute system of his grandfather to a constitutional monarchy. Viktor is an avid painter, and many of his works detailing key events in Rumanian history have been exhibited internationally to critical acclaim. Under his reign the Rumanian Royal Family continues to remain popular in the country.

NiPGNRG.png

King Konstantínos II is the eighth, and current, King of the Hellenes and the sixth member of the House of Tatoi (agnatically still part of the House of Glücksburg) to sit on the throne since his great-grandfather Geórgios I took the throne in 1863.

Born in Athens in 1940, Konstantínos went into exile with his family a year later when the Axis Powers invaded and occupied Greece, spending the next four years first in Cairo and then Cape Town. He returned to Greece with his family in 1946 and attended school and later served in all three branches of the armed forces. Upon the death of his uncle Aléxandros in 1952, Konstantínos became Crown Prince as heir to his father. He would go on to win a gold medal at the 1960 Olympic Games in Hamburg.

In 1964 he married Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark, and in 1966, at the age of 25, Konstantínos succeeded his father as King. Konstantínos' reign has been largely peaceful in Greece, although the 1967 Constitution stripped him of any political power and reduced the role of King to a purely symbolic one. The exception to this period of peace was the 1974 Cyprus crisis which nearly brought the country to war with Turkey over control of the island until the British stepped in. However recently Greece has been racked with unrest due to the effects of the Great Recession, and although popular support for the royal family has remained high, it has fallen in recent polls.

NiPGNRG.png

King Tasilo is the current King of Croatia and the third member of the House of Feštetić to sit on the throne since the election of his grandfather, Juraj I, as King of the Axis-aligned Independent State of Croatia. In the aftermath of the Second World War the Croatian people voted to keep the family as ceremonial monarchs of the neutral Kingdom of Croatia.

Tasilo was born in Zagreb in 1978 during the reign of his father, Juraj II. Granted the title of Prince of Bosnia from birth, Tasilo's birth solved the potential succession crisis in the nation as Juraj II had no heir, and his marriage to Princess Josephine, youngest daughter of King Henri VI of France, had yet to produce a child. Tasilo's birth therefore was met with celebration across Croatia, and declared a national holiday. His birth was followed by a younger brother, Prince Juraj, Grand Duke of Herzegovinia, in 1984.

Attending school and university in Croatia as the Cold War came to its end and the Third Balkan War raged in neighbouring Serbia, Tasilo never had the opportunity to serve in active combat during his time in the armed forces, although he was part of a peacekeeping force sent to the Serbian-Dardanian border in 2005. In 2006 he was sent as a representative of the King to the celebration of the accession of Avrám II Kondașcu as Prince of Armanonia, and here he met Princess Theodora of Greece. The pair would later marry in 2008 and have three children.

His father's sudden death in 2011 from a stroke, forced Tasilo and his young family to leave behind their quiet life in Sarajevo for the pomp and ceremony of the national capital. Tasilo's reign has seen his country continue the policy of "quiet neutrality" advocated by his grandfather, whilst Tasilo is reported to be pro-European, and although Croatia joined the EU in 2013 it has an opt-out for the European Defence Community.

NiPGNRG.png

King Aleksandar IV is the seventh, and current, King of Bulgaria and the current head of the House of Habsburg-Romanov, the Bulgarian royal family, since the sudden death of his father in 1967.

Born in Sofia in 1937, as the nephew of recently crowned Kardam III, Aleksandar was never expected to inherit the throne. However the sudden unexplained death of his uncle propelled his under-prepared father to the throne in 1943, in the midst of the Second World War. When the war ended and Bulgaria found itself in the anti-Communist camp the Allies backed his father on the throne, despite some in the country calling for his abdication.

Educated at boarding schools and military academies, Aleksandar was known for his outspoken and bombastic nature, as well as his frequent solo hikes in the Balkan Mountains. It was here in 1962 that he met Nadeja Cristova, a young woman two-years his junior. Their whirlwind romance captured the hearts of the nation, but when a year later he asked for his father's permission to marry her, the ailing King declined as the family laws of succession, and the Bulgarian constitution, forbade the heir to the throne from marrying a commoner.

Despite proposing several potential brides from European royalty, Aleksander refused saying there "would be no other but Nadeja". His father's death in 1967 after a long illness allowed Aleksandar the opportunity to finally marry Nadeja, but the government resisted change and it wasn't until 1969 when they married in a public ceremony in Sofia.

Aleksandar's reign is currently the second-longest in Bulgarian history, after the dynasty's founder Aleksandar I Yosifov, son of Archduke Joseph of Austria and Grand Duchess Alexandra Pavlovna of Russia. He, his wife and his family remain very popular with the Bulgarian public, and plans are underway for a national celebration this year to commemorate his Golden Jubilee.

zfcVQAW.png

King Leka II is the current King of Albania, having ascended to the throne in 2011 upon the death of his father, Leka I. He is the current head of the House of Zogolli, and the fifth member of the family to serve as head of state of Albania, since the introduction of an elective principality in 1848. His grandfather, Zog I or Skanderbeg III, was the last Prince of Albania and the first King until the Axis-powers occupied Albania during the Second World War. After the war the nation became the Socialist Republic of Albania, and the Zogolli family went into exile.

Born in Johannesburg, Capeland in 1982 was from birth the heir to the defunct throne of Albania as the only child of his father, and the only grandchild of Zog I/Skander II. Leka grew up in Capeland, and only returned to Albania in 2000 following the end of the Albanian Civil War and the formation of the Second Albanian Republic in the Tosk-regions of the nation. His family were banned from entering the Republic of Dardania, which was formed from northern Albania and south-western Serbia until 2007. Although their return was very popular amongst the public and politicians, with his father being invited to speak before a session of the restored Parliament in 2001, it would not be until 2003 that the monarchy was restored by popular referendum.

Upon his father's accession as King, Leka was granted the title of Crown Prince and began to undertake royal duties on both the national and international stage. Although not fluent in Tosk Albanian when he arrived in the country, Leka learned quickly and became a symbol of the future for the youth of Albania. His father's death in 2011 propelled Leka to the throne at the age of 29, and although it was met with mourning across the nation, there were also widespread celebrations for their new king. Leka married Albanian actress Elia Zaharia in 2013, and the couple currently have two sons. As King he has led his country through the final transition out of communism and has seen closer ties with Europe and the west, including the ongoing accession process to the EU, which is expected to be completed sometime in the next decade.

NiPGNRG.png

Avrám II Kondașcu is the current Sovereign Prince of Armanonia, having ascended to the throne in 2006 upon the death of his father, the first succession between father and son since 1833. Avrám is the sixth member of the House of Kondașcu to sit on the throne of Armanonia, and the second since the restoration of the principality in 2000 as an hereditary monarchy.

Born in exile in Switzerland in 1964, Avrám was the great-grandson of the last elected prince prior to the Axis- and later Albanian-occupation, Avrám I Kondașcu. Avrám's great-grandfather had died in 1950, and his grandfather would pass away in 1982, leaving Avrám and his father Gógu as the de facto heirs to the defunct Principality of Armanonia. Avrám would spend his formative years in Switzerland, but attended university in Miami, Florida where he met his future wife, Marta Amavisca, a native Floridian and member of the local nobility as a daughter of the Count of Tampa. They would marry in 1995 and settled for a time in Spain.

After the Third Balkan War, Armanonia was restored as an independent state, and the new government invited the Kondașcu family back to the country, with Avrám and his young family settling in the capital Moscopole at the former Princely Palace. The 2000 referendum in Armanonia on the future constitution of the country saw 98.47% of the population vote in favour of a restoration of the principality as an hereditary monarchy under the House of Kondașcu, and Avrám's father was crowned Prince whilst he was granted the title of Hereditary Prince.

His father's sudden and unexpected death in 2006 saw Avrám ascend to the throne of the world's largest sovereign principality, and although his reign has been peaceful, seeing improved relations with the West and the beginning of Armanonia's accession to the EU, recent revelations about the current ruling party's near dominant control over the national media have called into question Armanonia's place in modern Europe.

NiPGNRG.png

Nikola ΙΙ is the current King of Montenegro, Head of the House of Petrović-Njegoš and the first member of the family to reign as monarch since the abdication of his ancestor, King Nikola I after the First World War. Nikola was restored to his family's ancestral throne after a popular referendum in Montenegro in 2011 resulted in a majority in favour of restoration.

Born in 1944 in an internment camp in Occupied Czechslovakia, Nikola spent most of his life with his mother in France, raised as a Frenchman and knowing very little about his ancestral homeland. Following his education he worked as an architect and was married to the French citizen Francine Navarro from 1976 until her death in 2008. He was a campaigner in the 2006 Montenegrin independence referendum on the Yes side, and upon the restoration of Montenegrin independence he resettled in the country and was welcomed by the new republican government as a symbolic figure.

A referendum held in early 2011 resulted in a majority supporting the restoration of the House of Petrović-Njegoš, and on 24 March 2011, on the 125th anniversary of the proclamation of the Kingdom of Montenegro, he was sworn in as the King of Montenegro.

DXYzJde.png

Last edited:
    Balkan Wars
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    And to continue with a little more worldbuilding in the Balkans, the second part of my exciting collaboration with @Damian0358. This time looking at the three major conflicts that have shaped the region as we know it today. Spread across two centuries, I present the conflicts collectively known as the Balkan Wars:

90oPyaR.png

The First Balkan War, popularly known as the Rumelian Revolution, is nominally considered to have started in early 1813, but most consider the Serbian Revolution, which started in 1804, the true beginning of the wider Hemus Uprising. With the signing of Ičko's Peace in 1807, the Serbs succeeded in their goals and won on their terms, Whilst its veterans licked their wounds, the Russians declared war on the Ottomans, and in the midst of it, Sultan Selim III is deposed, replaced by his cousin Mustafa IV. Selim is executed, but Mustafa's brother Mahmud fled Topkapı Palace to avoid certain death. With the support of the Janissaries, Mustafa's reign from 1807 to 1813 proved disastrous for Ottoman rule in Rumelia. His conservative view on Serbia's success would lead to a reign of terror in the region, due to his belief that pro-Christian reforms almost destroyed Imperial authority. All of this would culminate in the beginning of the Aromanian Uprising and the Greek Revolution in late 1812, and the Bulgarian Uprising, the Peonian Uprising and the Rumanian Revolution in early 1813. The Revolution would peak with the Albanian Revolt and Bosniak Insurrection in late 1814 and Serbia officially joining in (referred to as the Second Serbian Uprising in Serbian historiography), as the entire Balkan went up in the flames of large-scale revolution against the Ottomans.

Meanwhile, as the Revolution fired up, Alemdar Mustafa Pasha, in allegiance with Mahmud, finally strike Topkapı Palace and depose Mustafa IV, as Mahmud II takes power in early 1813. The state the subcontinent had be left in would prompt Mahmud to cut his losses, recognizing the independence of all the nation states during the Congress of Vienna, as he turned the Empire's interests away from Europe. The Revolutionary States, sending their delegates to Vienna as part of the "Hem Bloc," would find their comradery fractured as the Four Great Powers divided them among themselves.

The status quo of the Balkans, or the Hem as some regional traditionalists would call it (derived from the Slavic variant of Haemus), would last until the Revolutions of 1848, where unlike the rest of Europe, the region would find not only significant social and cultural changes, but also political changes in some states.

NiPGNRG.png

The Second Balkan War, generally considered the Bulgarian-Serbian War, began in late 1876 following the shifting political interests in the region. Bulgarian politicians continuously contested Serbian and Greek control of the region of Macedonia, believing it to be rightfully theirs, a view that would become a political catalyst for the Bulgarian government, which would go on to receive support for and declare the war. Allying with Albania, which has its own irredentist views aimed towards the two states, they struck quickly, as Bulgaria displayed its military prowess against Serbia and Greece's defensive approach, with Montenegro aiding its ally against Albania. The war would be fought until early 1878, when the Kingdom of Rumania joined on the side of the Serbs and Greeks. Due to the lack of resistance against the Rumanian intervention, the Ottoman Empire, still occupied with its dealings in its eastern and southern territories, got involved in the war in a bid to regain some of Thrace. By mid 1878, Bulgaria had been forced to capitulate, with Romania gaining the region of Southern Dobruja and the Ottomans gaining a bit of Bulgarian Thrace in the process, while the Albanian-Montenegrin border had been finally demarcated.

Outside of some diplomatic scuffles after the war, the Second Balkan War would redefine the status quo of the region, until the end of World War I lead to the establishment of the Republic of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, later renamed Yugoslavia. The continued neutrality of Armanonia would for the most part remain recognized, until their occupation by way of the Axis during World War II and their subsequent annexation as part of the Socialist Republic of Albania.

NiPGNRG.png

The Third Balkan War, otherwise known as the Serbian Wars, was a series of ethnically-based wars and insurgencies fought during the 1990s. The first of the conflicts, known as the Dardanian War, occurred following the rise of tensions between the ethnic Albanians living in the territories of the Federal People's Republic of Serbia and the Serb-dominated communist government, began in late 1991. In mid 1992, the Socialist Republic of Albania intervened in the war despite international pressure, in an attempt to appease its growingly discontent population. However, the chaos of the region would quickly spread into SR Albania, as many underground Gheg leaders teamed up with the Albanian population of FPR Serbia, which was almost exclusively Gheg, leading into the second of the conflicts, known as the Albanian Civil War. The Tosk-dominated communist government scrambled to find an ally, temporarily allying with the Serbs before finding commonality with the Peonians, who feared for what would happen to their people against the Ghegs. The Aromanians, whom had been a part of SR Albania since the end of WW2, allied themselves with the Serbs and began the third of the conflicts, known as the Armanonian Insurgency, in late 1993.

Prior to foreign intervention in the form of France and Britain, the fourth of the conflicts began in early 1996, known as the Second Peonian Uprising or the Insurrection of Peonia, as the Peonians abandoned their Tosk allies and attempted to fend for themselves against the Ghegs and Aromanians. The fifth and last of the conflicts, though it is disputed if it was important to distinguish it from the Dardanian War, refers to the foreign intervention of France and Britain into the conflict in late 1998, leading to the bombing of the region. The war would be brought to an end in mid 1999.

The result of the Third Balkan War was the dissolution of the FPRS and the SRA, with the formation of successor states in the form of the Democratic Republic of Serbia, the Republic of Peonia, the State of Armanonia, the Republic of Dardania and the Democratic Republic of Albania. Serbia would later become the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro, until Montenegrin independence in 2007 brought it to adopt its current name, the Serbian Republic. Armanonia would restore its pre-WW2 principality a year after its independence in the year 2000, whilst Albania would restore its pre-WW2 monarchy in 2003 and Montenegro would restore its monarchy in 2011.

C5hxRC9.png

Last edited:
    Spanish Revolution (1863-1868)
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    I don't have any infoboxes ready ATM, but the basic history is that Spain undergoes a full Revolution (1863-1868), an converts to a republic significantly earlier. Britain gets involved in the conflict, I outlined some of the history in the Gibraltar post, but the Caribbean War sees the Spanish royalists in exile over Cuba and Santo Domingo, whilst Puerto Rico gets "purchased" by Britain for a nominal fee. It largely evolves as it did in OTL under American governance, but largely falls into the sphere of influence of Hispanophone Florida which pushes for its accession as a dominion, which it achieves in 1964 by merging with the Virgin Islands.

So I have sort of hinted at this sequence of events, and mentioned parts of it in the Gibraltar post. But here is the Spanish Revolution and three major theatres of it.

90oPyaR.png

The Spanish Revolution, also known as the Glorious Revolution, was a period of armed military conflict, alongside social and political upheaval, throughout the Spanish Empire that lasted from 1863 to 1868. The Revolution resulted in the exile of Queen Isabel II to Cuba, the establishment of the First Spanish Republic and the independence of the Catalan countries. It would also lay the seeds for the Spanish Civil War seventy years later and play a role in the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War in 1870.

Spanish liberals and republicans had long hoped to place one of their own as Prime Minister, however the weakening of Spain's position as a global power, coupled with the loss of much of the colonial empire and the vacillation of Queen Isabel II between liberal and conservative positions led many to begin to see the monarch as the source of the country's difficulties.

The Revolution began on 16 August 1863 when, in a coordinated action, naval forces mutinied in Cadiz and Generals Francisco Serrano and Juan Prim denounced the government and began a rebellion in Madrid itself. The unrest quickly spread across the south of country, forcing the Queen and the Royal Court to flee Madrid for the relative safety of Valladolid. The flight of the Queen led to the Cortes declaring the throne vacant and although overtures were made to Prince Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and Prince Amadeo of Savoy no willing candidate emerged, leading to the declaration of the Spanish Republic with Francisco Serrano as President. The offer to Prince Leopold would be a direct cause of the later Franco-Prussian War.

Royalists in Spain would find little support internationally, France found itself occupied with the ascendancy of Prussia over the German states while Britain was loath to involve itself in another conflict so soon after the Granadine Civil War. Portugal and Savoy offered material support for a time, but refused to directly engage the growing revolutionary army. The Queen and Court relocated frequently as revolutionary forces overran royalist positions, and by 1868 controlled only parts of Galicia, Leon and Asturias, based in the city of Santiago de Compostela.

The Revolution officially came to an end on 27 September 1868, when royalist, republican, Catalan and British ambassadors met and signed the Peace of Lisbon; recognising the sovereignty of the First Spanish Republic and Catalonia, and provided safe passage to the Queen, her Court and any royalists unwilling to swear allegiance to the new republic to Havana. It would also recognise the existence of the Kingdom of Spain-in-Exile in Cuba and Santo Domingo, although Continental Spain would not recognise that government for its entire existence. Britain's acquisition of the East Indies would lead to the First Philippine Revolution as the native inhabitants of the Philippines sought independence.

NiPGNRG.png

The Caribbean War, also known as the Caribbean Theatre by modern historians, was the theatre of the Spanish Revolution that took place in and around the Caribbean Sea, predominantly in the Spanish West Indies, which at the time consisted of what is now Cuba, Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico. The Caribbean War began when revolutionary forces in the three territories of the Spanish West Indies rose up against the royalist colonial government, in support of the revolutionaries in Continental Spain.

Historians now consider that the Caribbean revolutionaries had overestimated their support amongst the local population; Cuba was against anything that would disrupt the lucrative trade with Florida, Santo Domingo was loathe to see a return to the violence that characterised the break up of the Granadine Confederation and Puerto Rico was relatively happy with the existing government. However distractions in mainland Spain led to the Caribbean War becoming a long, drawn out affair as royalists and republicans engaged in guerrilla warfare in the towns and countryside.

The British Empire would join the war on the side of Royalist Spain on 4 June 1868, after the HMS Maine was sunk in Havana Harbour, although historians have been unable to identify the culprits behind the sinking. British forces moved quickly to isolate revolutionary forces, occupying the entire island of Puerto Rico and evicting republican troops from the major cities in Cuba and Santo Domingo. The Caribbean War came to an official end on 27 September 1868 with the signing of the Peace of Lisbon, which saw the establishment of an exiled Spanish Monarchy established over Cuba and Santo Domingo, Puerto Rico sold to the British for a nominal fee and the exile of revolutionary forces from the West Indies. The Kingdom of Spain-in-Exile would last until 1941, when it was dissolved into the Kingdom of Cuba and the Kingdom of Santo Domingo, ruled by two of Queen Isabel II's great-grandsons.

NiPGNRG.png

The Catalan War of Independence, known as the Catalan Restoration War by 19th century 'romantic' historians', was a military conflict, considered part of the wider Spanish Revolution that was fought in the Catalan-speaking regions of the Kingdom of Spain from 1865 to 1868.

The territories of the former Crown of Aragon had long chaffed under rule by larger Castille, and later Spain, from Madrid, and during the early stages of the revolution many Catalans pledged their support to the revolutionaries in Andalusia. A leading figure in the revolution in Catalonia was Alfons, 7th Count of Cardona, and as it became clear the republican nature of the revolution in the rest of Spain many Catalans recoiled from the idea, largely attributed to the memory of the wars of the French Revolution and Napoleon.

On 21 April 1865 the Spanish Royalist garrison in Barcelona was defeated and captured, and Alfons was crowned as King Alfons VI of the Catalans by the Archbishop of Barcelona. Alfons VI quickly secured foreign support from both France and Savoy, marrying his son and heir to a member of the House of Savoy, and although the First Spanish Republic did not recognise Catalan sovereignty until March 1868, their forces fought alongside the Catalans in many of the fiercest engagements in eastern Spain. The Battle of Calatayud was one of the fiercest in the entire revolution, and the Catalan victory began a period of stalemate in the War of Independence as neither royalists nor republicans could dislodge the Catalan forces.

Although the war is considered to have ended on 19 March 1868 with the recognition of Cataln independence by Francisco Serrano, as with the rest of the Spanish Revolution it did not officially end until Catalan delegates signed the Peace of Lisbon.

NiPGNRG.png

The Gibraltar Intervention represented the British Empire's only intervention into mainland Spain during the Spanish Revolution, other than the evacuation of the Spanish Court in September 1868. It began shortly after the sinking of the HMS Maine in Havana and the murder of three British citizens during a crackdown by revolutionary forces in Tangier. Named for the military fortress of Gibraltar, the Intervention saw British forces seize control of the Spanish Maghreb territory, including the cities of Ceuta and Melilla, and the occupation of parts of Southern Andalusia.

The Intervention culminated in the Battle of Marbella in August 1868, where the British took the city and successfully repelled three Spanish attempts to retake it. The fall of Marbella and the threat of a British strike northwards towards Granada and Seville, the headquarters of the revolutionary forces, was a key factor in the republicans suing for a ceasefire and the eventual Peace of Lisbon. Britain retained ownership of the Maghreb territories, and would occupy southern Andalusia for 44 years before returning it to Spain.

rkrOKwS.png

Last edited:
    Monarchs of Latin America
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    As way of apology for my long absence, and in anticipation of the week-long lack of activity you are about to receive :(, I present the Monarchs of Latin America. It's worth pointing out that all the monarchs of continental Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Peru and California) are related to each other in one way or the other, with the Iturbides of California and Mexico being the most widely intermarried, followed by the Bourbon-Braganzas of Argentina. The royal families of Cuba and Peru (and Spain) are also closely related, the current monarchs are all second cousins and great-grandchildren of King Alfonso XIII of Spain.

I'm also trialling a new royalty infobox, so any comments/questions are welcome.

I hope you enjoy them :)

90oPyaR.png

Emperor Pedro V is the current reigning monarch of the Empire of Brazil, the eighth to reside in the country since Brazil gained independence from Portugal in 1822.

Born in 1945, the eldest son of Pedro, Prince Imperial and his wife, Princess Maria de la Esperanza of the Two Sicilies, Pedro was the second in line to throne from birth as the grandson of Emperor Afonso II. Raised and educated in the historic home of the imperial family in Brazil, Petrópolis, the younger Pedro was kept out of the public eye for much of his early life. His first major appearance to the Brazilian public came when he travelled solo to the Viceroyalty of Benguela in 1966 to represent his father at a session of the legislature.

Pedro went on to serve in the Brazilian Imperial Navy, and was described by his comrades as a competent and friendly officer, albeit one who kept to himself. His marriage in 1975 to Luiza Rocha de Souza led to nationwide celebration, as the first member of the imperial family to marry a native Brazilian, and they would go on to have four children together. Unbeknown to the public at the time, Pedro has been a prolific writer of books about Brazilian history, always written under various pseudonyms, a fact which only became known in 2013.

Upon his father's death in 2007, Pedro became Emperor at the age of 62, becoming the oldest monarch to ascend to the throne in Brazilian history. His reign has seen Brazil continue to grow and develop as a great power, and potential future superpower, with the development and growth mainly focused in the African territories that make up the autonomous viceroyalty of Benguela. As a constitutional monarch with comparable powers and responsibilities to the British Queen-Empress, Pedro has remained politically neutral in all matters, although he courted controversy when he refused to accept Lula da Silva's attempt to form a government after the 2015 federal election, instead inviting Aécio Neves to form a government. Pedro retains a great deal of personal popularity in Brazil, mainly in his capacity as the "Father of the Nation", and support for the monarchy remains high.

NiPGNRG.png

Emperor Agustín V is the current Mexican Emperor, the eighth to reign since the independence of the First Mexican Empire in 1822, and the fifth since the restoration of the imperial monarchy in 1917 after the Mexican Revolution at the end of the First World War.

Born in 1944 during the reign of his grandmother, María I, Agustín was third in the line of succession and not expected to ascend to the throne as it was assumed his uncle, the future Agustín IV, would eventually marry and have children. His uncle's accession in 1952 put Agustín as second in line to the throne, and as he continued to remain unmarried and childless, Agustín's mother was gradually prepared for the throne. Upon the death of Agustín IV in 1982, his mother, María II ascended to the throne. Agustín was educated privately out of the public eye, and went on to serve with distinction in the Imperial Mexican Air Force. Concerns within the imperial family that Agustín would follow his uncle and remain unmarried were allayed in 1990 with his marriage to Marcela Campos Herrera, daughter of the Marqués de Acapulco, with whom he has two children. As the Prince Imperial of Mexico, Agustín took up formal royal duties both domestically and overseas, representing the Mexican state at numerous events.

Agustín's life has seen Mexico emerge from the recovery period in the aftermath of their membership in the Central Powers during the First World War, and the emergence of the country as a major world power. The death of his mother in 1999 resulted in Agustín ascending to the throne. Although the Emperor is, by convention, non-partisan and generally remains silent on political issues, Agustín has used his authority to influence important issues, such as same-sex marriage (legalised in 2010), and he is often described as a modernising influence in Mexico.

NiPGNRG.png

King Juan IV is the seventh, and current, monarch of Argentina and head of the House of Bourbon-Braganza, which has reigned as Kings and Queens of the Argentines since the establishment of the monarchy in 1826.

Juan was born in 1941, at the height Infamous Decade and during the opening months of the Argentine Civil War, a secondary front in the Second World War. Shortly after his birth, Juan, his mother and older sisters were sent into exile by their father, Juan, Prince of Paraguay, and grandmother Queen Cristina, in the British realm of Patagonia, in order to prevent them from being used by either side in the conflict. Spending his first two years in a foreign country, the young Infante was primarily educated by his mother, although he did learn to speak the Welsh language, and he remains a fluent speaker. Upon the end of the civil war, which resulted in a victory for the anti-fascist monarchists, Juan and his family returned to Buenos Aires to be reunited with the rest of the royal family.

Juan went on to serve in the Royal Argentine Navy, and married Princess Cristina Maria of Brazil, cementing relations between the two countries. Upon the death of his grandmother in 1981, Juan was granted the title of Prince of Paraguay as the heir apparent to the Argentine throne, and upon his father's death in 1999, he ascended to the throne as Juan IV. His reign has been characterised by the emergence of Argentina as an economic and regional power, as both a member of the Andean Community and a close ally of the Commonwealth of Nations, whilst domestically he has seen the rise of the Justicialist movement, closely linked to Kirchnerism in Patagonia. His popular support remains high amongst the older parts of the population, but younger generations generally show lower support or understanding of the role of the monarch.

NiPGNRG.png

King Ramón IV is the seventh, and current, King of the Californias having ascended to the throne in 2002 upon the death of his grandfather. As the senior male-line descendant of Emperor Agustín I of Mexico, Ramón is the head of the House of Iturbide, the reigning family in California, Mexico and de facto Argentina.

Born in 1979 at the Royal Presidio, the complex of palaces and residences that make up the official seat of the Californian monarchy, Ramón was second child and only son of Alejandro, Prince of Nevada, the eldest son of King Felipe of California. Under male-preference primogeniture, which was in place in California until 2011, Ramón replaced his elder sister as the eventual heir to the throne. Becoming the first member of the Californian royal family to be educated in a state school, and generally remained outside of the media spotlight, a fact attributed to the deferential but decidedly relaxed attitude to the monarchy in California. Ramón went on to attend university in Vancouver, Oregon, another first for the royal family, where he met his future wife Juliana Dickens. In an interview the pair would reveal that he kept his royal status a secret from her at the start of their relationship.

Ramón was thrust into the public eye when his mother and father were killed in a car accident whilst on a formal visit to Madrid, and an outpouring of support from across the globe saw the young prince reach overnight global recognition. The death of his grandmother, and his increasingly frail grandfather, forced the new heir to forgo the customary military service in favour of taking up full time royal duties upon graduating from university in 2001. The death of King Felipe in 2002 led to a period of national mourning as the young prince ascended to the throne at the age of 22. His reign has seen California continue to develop as a potential great power, with the Dellums and Villaraigosa governments pursuing a more independent and Pacific-oriented foreign policy. His wedding to Juliana Dickens in 2009 is seen as a high point for the modern monarchy, as was the birth of their three children.

A ceremonial monarch with no constitutional powers, Ramón is a very popular figure in California, seen as the cultural and symbolic heart of the Californian state. Popular support for the monarchy remains high in the crowned republic, as political theorists often describe California, with recent polls regularly seeing in excess of 80% of respondents in favour of retaining a monarchical form of government.

f3dNqof.png

King Luis II is the current reigning monarch of the Kingdom of Peru, having ascended to the throne in 1989 at the age of 14 upon the sudden death of his father, King Jaime V. Luis is the ninth monarch to reside in Peru, and the current head of the House of Bourbon-Peru, a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon, making him closely related to the current monarchs of Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Cuba and several other European countries.

Born in 1974, during the reign of his grandfather King Jaime IV, Luis was the second son of the heir apparent, Jaime, Prince of Arequipa and his wife Infanta Maria Cecilia of Argentina, and as such he was not expected to ascend to throne. His elder brother, Infante Carlos died suddenly when Luis was five years old, forcing the young Infante into the role of new heir apparent and Prince of Arequipa. Educated by private tutors at the Palacio Real in Lima, Luis spent his formative years out of the public eye, however tragedy struck again in January 1989 when his father, King Jaime V, was killed in an avalanche whilst skiing on a state visit to Chile. The fourteen year old prince ascended to the throne amidst a period of national mourning, and a regency was established under his uncle.

Formally assuming the full powers of the monarch upon reaching the age of 18 in 1992, Luis' early reign saw the rise of Fujimorism, with the defeat of the country's communist insurgents and improved economic growth for Peru. However a major scandal in 2000 surrounding the Fujimori government with allegations of corruption and human rights violations led to Luis being forced to use previously dormant reserve powers to dismiss Fujimori and reappoint former Prime Minister Alan García in his place. Although support for Fujimorism remains high in Peru despite the scandal, a majority of Peruvians supported the actions of the king in response to the crisis.

Luis would marry Venezuelan-born Maria Margarita Vargas Santaella in 2004, and the couple have three children, a daughter Eugenia, and twin sons Luis and Alfonso. Popular support for the royal family remains high in Peru, and the country is one of the few monarchies in the world to retain a politically active head of state. Luis has been a strong proponent for closer relations amongst Latin American countries, in opposition to the rising power of Mexico and Brazil, and supported the creation of the Andean Community, although successive governments have generally attempted to pursue a neutral policy between the major regional powers.

NiPGNRG.png

King Fernando VIII
    is the current head of state of Cuba, the sixth monarch to reside in Cuba since Queen Isabel II relocated the Spanish court in 1868, and the third monarch of an independent Cuban state since Alfonso XIV in 1941.

Born in Havana, Cuba as the second child and eldest son of King Enrique V and his wife Juanita Castro, sister of longtime Prime Minister Fidel Castro, Fernando was styled as the Duke of Havana from birth in his position as heir apparent. His birth ensured the male-line succession of the Cuban throne, displacing his elder sister Infanta Cristina from her place as heiress presumptive. Fernando would become the first member of the Cuban royal family to be educated abroad, when he attended university in Miami, Florida. It was there that he met Marta Garibay Bermejo, a history and languages student from San Mateo.

The romance between the two attracted media attention on both sides of the straits, and many speculated it would only be a matter of time before an engagement was announced. However the Cuban constitution expressly forbade a member of the royal family from marrying a foreign citizen, and it wasn't until 1987 when, as his last act before leaving office, his uncle successfully legislated to amend the constitution. Fernando and Marta would marry the following year and settle into official royal duties in Havana, where they would welcome three children. His father's worsening health forced Fernando to take on more royal duties, representing Cuba with increasing frequency at home and abroad, and a formal regency was declared in 1996.

Enrique V's death in 1997 resulted in Fernando acceding to the throne at the age of 32, and his coronation at Havana Cathedral was attended by dignitaries from across Latin America and the Commonwealth. Fernando's reign has seen Cuba continue to develop economically as a member of the Commonwealth Economic Community and an observer at the Andean Community, and although Cuba's monarch is officially non-partisan Fernando has continued to speak out on social and health issues. Whilst Fernando's personal popularity has remained high, overall support for the institution of the monarchy in Cuba has declined in recent years after several scandals involving members of the wider royal family.

NiPGNRG.png

King Michel is the ninth monarch of the Kingdom of Haiti, more commonly known as North Haiti, a state located in the northwestern part of the island of Hispaniola. As the head of the House of Christophe, Michel is the only monarch of African descent in the New World.

Michel is the only son of Henri, the former Prince Royal and heir apparent to his grandfather Pierre III. Born in 1964, during the reign of his great-grandfather Pierre II, Michel was not expected to ascend to the throne for many years. The death of his great-grandfather in 1981 brought him closer to the throne, but the assassination of his father in 1996 by radical republicans put Michel into the position as heir apparent to his grandfather. Following the death of Pierre III in 2002, Michel ascended to the throne amidst a period of intense turmoil and political instability within both Haitian states.

As the ongoing Haitian Conflict continues across the border in South Haiti, Michel has seen support for his family's rule continue to decline amidst the worsening economic condition and the recent earthquake. Despite constitutional reforms, North Haiti remains a semi-constitutional regime, with the king free to appoint and dismiss cabinet members and call elections at will, although recent reforms have forced the king to appoint a prime minister with the support of legislature. King Michel has been seen by many as a reforming figure in North Haiti, and the regime is seen as a nominal British ally, although his efforts generally draw the ire of those on both the pro- and anti-regime side of North Haitian politics.

jYWLNXj.png

Last edited:
    Family Tree of Latin American Monarchs
  • Family tree of Latin American and Spanish monarchs
    1TBxxuq.png

Now 100% definitely completely accurate!
    L1k1BnA.png

hFdc3Oy.png

Last edited:
    Patagonia; 2017 general election
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    Well here it is folks! Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll, the results definitely surprised me as I didn't expect that level of support for the more extreme parties. While your votes did swing the results in a certain direction, they didn't generate a massive landslide for any of the minor parties. Major credit to @Turquoise Blue for all her ideas surrounding Patagonia, this is her brainchild I just helped it along a bit.

90oPyaR.png

The Realm of Patagonia is a sovereign state located in South America, bordered by the Argentine Nation to the north, the Republic of Chile to the northwest, the Pacific Ocean to the west, the Atlantic Ocean to the east, and the Southern Ocean and the British territory of Tierra del Fuego to the south. A Commonwealth realm, with the British monarch as head of state, Patagonia is considered to be a Latin American and Commonwealth country, and is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations (including the Commonwealth Economic Community and the Common Defence Pact) and the Andean Community. Patagonia is officially a trilingual state, and is the only sovereign state where the Welsh language is spoken by a plurality of the population.

Evidence indicates that the area that makes up Patagonia has been continuously inhabited by various aboriginal peoples since at least 10,000 BCE, and by the 16th century the Mapuche had come to dominate the area as a result of technological dominance and would remain the predominant culture in Patagonia until European contact and colonisation. The first definitive visit by Europeans to modern Patagonia occurred in 1520 when the Spanish expedition led by Ferdinand Magellan explored the Atlantic coast of Patagonia. Early explorers observed that the indigenous people were taller than the average Europeans, giving rise to the myths surrounding Patagonian giants, however the region was largely devoid of permanent colonial settlements until the 19th century as Spain focused on the more prosperous areas of Peru and the Río de la Plata. Following the collapse of the Spanish Empire in the Americas, Chile and Argentina gained their independence from Spain and began to more extensively survey and explore Patagonia, although neither nation formally claimed the region.

With Argentina focusing on pacifying and settling the vast uncharted territories they had acquired in central South America and the foothills of the Andes, Britain exerted its influence across modern Patagonia and formally claimed the region in 1840, although the border between British Patagonia, Argentina and Chile would remain undefined until the late 19th century. With Patagonia seen as less attractive to settlers than the more developed North American colonies, the colony struggled at first to attract settlers until the beginning of Welsh colonial settlement in 1845. "Y Wladfa", Welsh for "The Colony", began in Wales as a movement to establish a colony where the Welsh language would be the primary language of government and education, and preserve Welsh culture and language from extinction. Initial settlements were concentrated along the Atlantic coast, spanning what are now the provinces of Black River and Chubut, and during this period the major cities of Trelew, Gaiman and Porth Madryn were established. Although the goal of the colony remained the preservation of Welsh culture, it attracted settlers from across the British Isles and Europe, and even saw Spanish-speakers from South America emigrating into the region, all contributing to the melting pot culture of modern Patagonia.

After rapidly developing throughout the 19th century, Patagonia was granted formal self-government in 1895 and adopted the style of "dominion", although it remained on the periphery of the federalising British Empire. Indeed London had generally adopted a light-touch approach to the governing of the colonies that had developed in British Patagonia, allowing them a great deal of leeway with regards to foreign relations with their Latin American neighbours. However the growth in power of the new Imperial Parliament led to discussions about formally integrating Patagonia into the Empire during the 1910s. The outbreak of the First World War curtailed any further discussions as Patagonia found itself on the defensive against their neighbour Chile, which had joined the Central Powers. Although Patagonia saw minimal land warfare, partly due to the Andes blocking easy travel between the two countries, it played a major role in the naval action of the South Atlantic and South Pacific, with naval bases in Sandy Point and other settlements along the coasts of Aysen, Magallanes and Santa Cruz provinces.

The end of the war in 1918 saw the return to discussions about Patagonia's potential accession to the Empire. The rise to power of the Liberal Democrats at the 1918 election, who advocated for universal suffrage and direct democracy, led to a referendum on the issue in 1924, which was strongly rejected by the now predominantly Welsh and Spanish-speaking population. That same year, Patagonia was formally constituted by an act of the Imperial Parliament as a separate realm of the British crown, a fact confirmed by the 1931 Statute of Westminster. Patagonia largely weathered the effects of the Great Depression, mainly thanks to its strong mining and agriculture industry, as well as the discovery of oil reserves. During the Second World War, Patagonia was part of the Allies due to its ties to the British Empire, with Patagonian volunteers fighting in theatres across Europe, Asia and North Africa, and a 1940 referendum on conscription led to the introduction of national service on the Swiss model which has remained in effect to the present day. The post-war period saw a major realignment in Patagonian politics, with the country generally voting for centre and centre-left parties. One important political event was the patriation of the Patagonian constitution in 1982, which saw the severing of the last remaining legislative links between Patagonia and Britain.

Throughout the 20th century Patagonia has been a stable bilingual democracy, with a population equally split between Welsh and Spanish-speakers. The decline in the traditional agricultural and whaling industries has largely been replaced by the growth of the oil, mining and energy sectors and has driven industrialisation and the growth of the middle class. Following Britain's example, Patagonia has a publicly funded health care system, commonly known as Medicare, that is available to all citizens regardless of their ability to pay. Despite not being a member of the Common Travel Area, Patagonia has retained a mutual agreement with Britain to ease travel and trade between the two countries, and despite efforts to bring Patagonia into the CTA, successive governments have dragged their feet on the issue. In the 21st century, Patagonia is described as a country of contrasts, where the Celtic and Latin worlds meet to create a unique and vibrant culture. It is also known as one of the most liberal and progressive countries in the world, and in 2002 became the first South American nation to legalise same-sex marriage. Despite retaining close ties with the mother country, Patagonia has in recent years pursued closer economic relations with its South American neighbours, especially after controversially joining the Andean Community in 2007 as an "associate member".

NiPGNRG.png

The 2017 Patagonian general election was held on 16 October 2017 to elect, under the first past the post system, the 174 members of the House of Representatives, the lower house of the Patagonian General Assembly.

The centrist Civic Democratic Alliance minority government, led by incumbent Prime Minister Caroline Stanley, was defeated in a house vote on their budget bill on 31 August forcing the dissolution of the General Assembly and early elections. The CDA had only been in power since 2015, having secured a plurality in the house nine seats short of a majority, but their government had been beset by issues from day one. Dissatisfaction was high amongst the party's traditional Welsh-speaking voter base over the decision not to repeal Patagonia's associate membership in the Andean Community, and the decision to cooperate more closely with their Latin American neighbours was not very popular, leading two high profile former cabinet members to defect to the centre-right Unionists, which advocates for stronger relations with Britain.

The opposition centre-left Progressive Country League went into the election led by former Prime Minister Daniel Peralta. Having been in power since 2001, many saw the PCL as being tired and in need of new leadership, but the personal popularity of Peralta amongst the party elite, and his hard line support of Kirchnerism, kept him in the position of leader. Although early opinion polls showed a slight lead for the PCL over the CDA, after Peralta held a rally in Trelew promising to fully integrate with the Andean Community, which would mean leaving the Commonwealth Economic Community, support began to swing back to the CDA. Stanley capitalised on this by announcing her party's plan for economic growth would continue the important economic partnerships with both trading blocs. Her consistent message on the economy, as well as her fluency in Welsh and Spanish, swayed many in both language groups.

The final results saw a surprise victory for the Civic Democrats, securing 89 seats and being able to form a majority government for the first time since 1987. Progressive Country saw one of their worst elections in recent years, reduced to 40 seats overall, and Peralta, although initially confirming he would remain as leader, announced on 22 October his intention to resign when a successor was chosen. The left-wing Social Democrats performed better than predicted, but still lost seats, a result widely attributed to leader Albert Weretilneck's refusal to publicly distance himself from Kirchnerist policies and his party's time in coalition with the PCL, a political calculation in case the SDP formed another government with the PCL. Weretilneck announced his resignation on election night. The centre-right Unionists saw their best election result since 1971 with 10 seats, although the gains were those held by CDA defectors, and prior to the full result being announced leader Alun Howard confirmed that he would be happy to work with the CDA providing that they agree to pull out of the Andean Community. People's Voice the right-wing populist party, the only explicitly Spanish-speaking party in Patagonia, managed to retain their nine seats and saw a slight bump in their share of the popular vote, attributed to Hispanics voting for them to "keep the Cambrics out".

Zz0aaKK.png

Last edited:
    Prime Ministers of Patagonia
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    And here is the list of Prime Ministers, again credit to @Turquoise Blue for these:

rd293tC.png

Prime Ministers of the Dominion (1895–1924) and Realm of Patagonia (1924–)
    11. 1895–1903 Sir Thomas Benbow Phillips (Nonpartisan)
    12. 1903–1911 Sir Owen Bevan (Nonpartisan, then Farmers' League majority) [1]
    13. 1911–1918 Dylan Perry (Farmers' LeagueLabour majority coalition) [1]
    14. 1918–1920 Germán Vidal (Liberal DemocraticCivic Alliance majority coalition)
    15. 1920–1931 Jorge Galina (Liberal DemocraticCivic Alliance majority coalition)
    16. 1931–1942 Trevor Kendrick (Farmers' LeagueLabour majority coalition, then Progressive Country majority) [1]
    17. 1942–1951 Emilio Belenguer (Progressive Country majority)
    18. 1951–1963 Sieffre Maddox (Civic DemocraticSocial Democratic majority coalition, then Civic Democratic majority) [1]
    19. 1963–1971 Rudolf Martinovic (Civic Democratic majority)
    10. 1971–1974 George Cepernic (Social DemocraticProgressive Country majority coalition)
    11. 1974–1982 Benito Fernández (Progressive Country majority)
    12. 1982–1987 Delwyn Rice (Progressive Country majority) [1]
    13. 1987–1995 Horace Massaccesi (Civic Democratic majority, then Civic Democratic minority)
    14. 1995–2001 Geraint Lewis (Civic Democratic minority) [1]
    15. 2001–2010 Néstor Kirchner† (Progressive CountrySocial Democratic majority coalition)
    16. 2010–2015 Daniel Peralta (Progressive CountrySocial Democratic majority coalition)
    17. 2015–2020 Caroline Stanley (Civic Democratic minority, then Civic Democratic majority)

[1] - Fictional Individuals​

RFFuzzD.png

Last edited:
    Franco-Patagonians
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    Been on a bit of an ethnic infobox binge at the moment. Something a little bit different:

rd293tC.png

3r2E6Mu.png
    Franco-Patagonians (French: Franco-Patagoniens; Welsh: Ffrangeg-Batagoniaid; Spanish: Franco-patagónico), also known as French Patagonians, are Patagonian citizens of full or partial French ancestry, persons born in France who reside in Patagonia, or French-speaking residents of Patagonia. Franco-Patagonians form one of the largest ancestry groups after Celtic Patagonians, Spanish Patagonians, and Anglo-Patagonians, and at the 2015 census it was estimated that around 650 thousand Patagonians had some degree of French ancestry. French immigration has left a signifcant mark on Patagonia, with a notable influence on the arts, culture, science, architecture and society of the country. Notable Franco-Patagonians include: Antoine Tounens, 1st Duke of Araucania[1]; Sir Charles Bouquet[2]; and Louis Vernet[3].

During the 19th century, most French immigrants to the New World settled in British America and in Patagonia, then a British colony. The modern Franco-Patagonian population trace their descent from these early settlers, who resided predominantly in communities along the Camwy River[4] and the Patagonian Pampas, before spreading inland throughout the Comahue[5] region where a distinctive Francophone community survives to this day. Early French immigrants came primarily from continental France, but later waves of settlers with French background came from neighbouring countries, notably Argentina, Brazil and North America. Due to the high degree of assimilation, Patagonians of French descent are less visible than other ethnic groups, and while they are found throughout the country, they are most numerous in Camwy River valley and the Comahue region.

[1] - OTL Orélie-Antoine de Tounens. He played an important role in bringing the Patagonian Mapuche under the authority of the Crown. Rewarded with the "Dukedom of Araucania" in 1878 for his services, one of only a dozen titles in the Peerage of Patagonia, he later served as the President of the Senate from the creation of Patagonia in 1895 to his death in 1902. His descendants continue to hold the title and reside in Nouenken (OTL Neuquen).
    [2] - OTL Carlos Bouquet Roldan. Franco-Patagonian soldier, politician and member of the Patagonian General Assembly and Minister of External Affairs under Sir Thomas Benbow Phillips and Sir Owen Bevan.
    [3] - OTL Luis Vernet. Led the French settlement of Comahue and founded the city of Vernet (OTL Zapala)
    [4] - OTL Chubut River.
    [5] - A region in northern Patagonia, that broadly covers OTL Neuquen and Rio Negro provinces.

Last edited:
    Texas; 2014 legislative election; 2017 legislative election
  • LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
    So apologies for the delay, work has been really hectic this week, but I finally managed to finish the write-up. Major credit goes to @wolfram for the work on developing Texas' political scene.

Here's the latest election in the Lone Star Republic, plus a redone version of the 2014 election. The previous post and information about Texas can be found here.

90oPyaR.png

xeVEnn6.png

Davis leads Reform back into government

AUSTIN, F.D. – Wendy Davis is set to become the next Prime Minister of Texas, and the second woman to hold the job, after securing a formal coalition agreement between Reform and the Constitutional Union in the wake of Tuesday's election. In a bitter and hard fought campaign the incumbent Christian Democrats narrowly retained their place as the largest party in the house, but the vote splitting with CU and the poor showing by their coalition partners, the right-wing National Renewal, have allowed Reform to form a coalition government supported by the Liga Chicano. Although combined the CDP and NRP hold more seats in the house (160) they have been unable to secure the support of another party and any administration would likely lose a vote of confidence.

The announcement of results in Austin, Matagorda, Sabine, Sonora and Nueces were delayed due to issues with electronic vote counting, forcing a manual count to take place. As the constitution requires the president to appoint a prime minister who can command the confidence of the house, President Martinez has confirmed that she will appoint Wendy Davis to the position, and she is expected to be sworn in on December 5 as the 26th Prime Minister. Incumbent CDP leader, and outgoing PM, Scott Turner accepted the results at a press conference late last night but confirmed that he would remain on as party leader. This has led to outcry from the liberal wing of the party, already angered at the right-wing direction of the Turner Administration, and Byron Cook has announced that he will challenge Turner for the party leadership when the legislature convenes in December. Long time National Renewal leader Trent Franks has confirmed that he will step down as his party's leader after a replacement is selected.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2014 Texan legislative election was held on October 28, 2014 to elect, under the first past the post system, the 335 members of the House of Representatives. The election was held concurrently with the presidential election.

The governing centre-right Christian Democrats, which advocates Christian democratic and social conservative policies, led by incumbent Prime Minister David Dewhurst were able to secure their fourth consecutive majority, despite losing 13 seats and only receiving 40% of the popular vote. The CDP did receive a boost amongst Hispanic voters, attributed to Susana Martínez's candidature for President. The broadly centrist and centre-left socially liberal Reform under new leader Wendy Davis made minor gains in this election, largely in suburban areas amongst moderate voters, although they saw a slight weakening in their support amongst Texas' Hispanic community over controversial comments by senior party figures about immigration from Latin America.

The right-wing conservative nationalist party, National Renewal, managed to gain a seat despite a decline in their vote share when they took Reform Party presidential candidate Chris Bell's district. Liga Chicano, the broadly left-wing Hispanic party led by Sonora Governor Manuel Acosta Gutiérrez, secured two extra seats at the expense of Reform, whilst the left-wing green politics Ecology Party managed to gain the Hermosillo-Tiburón district, narrowly beating out the CDP incumbent. The Native Alliance, a broad tent movement for the Texan First Nations which only runs in the state of Navajo, secured all four of the state districts for the eleventh consecutive election.

With the CDP securing another majority, David Dewhurst was formally voted in by the newly assembled House of Representatives on December 2, 2014 and sworn in (for the fourth time) as the 24th Prime Minister of the Republic of Texas by President Rick Perry at the Presidential Palace that afternoon.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2017 Texan legislative election was held on October 31, 2017 to elect, under the first past the post system, the 335 members of the House of Representatives.

Going into the election, the Christian Democrats had been beset by infighting and a breakdown of party unity. Seventeen right-wing members of the caucus had defected to National Renewal in August, after a leadership challenge by Dan Patrick failed to unseat incumbent Prime Minister David Dewhurst. President Martínez would become involved, and courted controversy by proroguing Congress for two weeks, later extended to three as a result of the effects of Hurricane Maria. Upon the reconvening of Congress on 1 September, Dewhurst faced a second challenge from Scott Turner and, seeing the writing on the wall, resigned after fourteen years leading the party. Turner was subsequently elected unopposed, and sworn in as the 25th Prime Minister, and the first Afro-Texan to hold the office. Without a working majority, the CDP were forced to form a coalition government with the NRP, taking the party on a hard-right direction on social and business issues.

Across the aisle, the Reform Party under experienced leader Wendy Davis portrayed themselves as the party of stability, comparing themselves favourably to the disarray in the CDP ranks. This divide was exacerbated when Will Hurd and Meghan McCain, both centre-leaning members of the CDP defected to the form the Constitutional Union, a moderate, pro-business, progressive conservative party, and Sam Johnson resigned the party whip to join the Libertarian Party, becoming their sole congressman. The backpedalling by the CDP on issues such as legal protection of LGBT employees, a hike in the business tax, and a controversial effort to privatise the Texas Health Agency. After opposition parties united with rogue CDP members to defeat the latter measure, the CDP-NRP coalition went into the election battered and bruised.

The final result saw the CDP remaining as the largest party in the House, cut to 120 seats from 162 before the election, but only narrowly ahead of Reform. National Renewal saw a complete reversal in the gains they had made over the previous three months, although many CDP defectors retained their seats, over a dozen marginal districts flipped to Reform or Constitution, and leader Trent Franks announced on Friday November 3 that he would call a leadership election in the new year. The Constitutional Union outperformed most pundits' expectations, winning in an additional 33 districts, and in a shock result candidate Sarah Davis unseated David Dewhurst in his home district of Houston-Allen's Landing. The Libertarians held their sole seat, whilst Ecology Party leader Brandon Parmer finally entered the house by defeating the CDP candidate in Galveston Coast. The Native Alliance retained their four districts for a twelfth consecutive election. Liga Chicano surprisingly lost four seats, including one district in Sonora previously though to be a solid LC seat, mostly to Reform and Constitution, a fact attributed to a perceived lack of direction in Congress.

With no party able to secure a majority, two coalitions emerged in the days following the election; the CDP-NRP and Reform-Constitution. Although the former had more seats, the later could call on the support of the Liga and Ecology in the House, whereas no other party was willing to support the CDP after the toxic Turner Administration. The Reform-Constitution coalition, led by Prime Minister Wendy Davis and Deputy Prime Minister Will Hurd, have identified further action on LGBT rights, including a vote on same-sex marriage, tax cuts for businesses and an improved approach to immigration from Latin America as the key issues for their administration.

idwOtHl.png

Last edited: