2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since people are offering suggestions for the period between the 2007 inauguration and the early days of 2010, I thought I'd offer a suggestion:

What about a major falling out between the president and his secretary of state Arnold Vinick. Of course Santos was willing to listen to him, but they had to clash now and then over foreign policy. Maybe there could be a dramatic Vinick resignation similar to William Jennings Bryan's real life resignation as SecState during Woodrow Wilson's presidency.

Having attempted to do the entire period from January 20th 2007 to now in a magazine style article, I have decided against that (it was just becoming a list of events). I will now be posting a series of articles, as I have been in the current time for the Republican nomination.
I got the idea from "Previously on the West Wing".....

Sorry, its been a while since any updates. I have been struggling with the flu, but have written up some flashback stuff e.g. to Jan 2007 and the start of the Santos Adminstration. Hope to have these posted over the course of the next few days.

Strategos' Risk said:
What should I do with the Andrew Wu character?

I think you should do whatever you wish with the character. Since he's an original "Season 10" character, Wu has the least creative constrictions on him. I'm afraid to touch some of the established characters for fear of messing up the flow, but you shouldn't have the same qualm.

Now on to your local news:

Albany Democratic-Herald, Tuesday February 10, 2009
Congressman Bailey talks election, politics
Freshman Congressman William Bailey, the United States Representatives for the Fourth District of Oregon, which includes Albany, spoke at an impromptu press conference Monday on varied issues regarding the Congress and the presidency.

Bailey, who returned to the district for the first time since his swearing-in on January 3rd, spoke in quick responses while maintaining his composure, a characteristic carried over from his famed press briefings during the Bartlet administration three years ago. Bailey, addressing criticism for his non-Oregonian origin prior to the election, expressed his "strong desire" to represent Oregon's interests and emphasised his voting record on environmental and anti-urban interests.

Bailey, who served as campaign manager and chief of staff to former Vice President Bob Russell during his failed 2006 primary run, expressed dismay at Russell's recent "summit" and feels that any primary challenge to Santos would cause "unnecessary fracturing of the Democratic Party."

Bailey had very little to say regarding the Santos administration, stating that he had "left that all behind," and wished to focus on "issues from the Hill." Bailey will be leaving Albany this evening and will head to Springfield, Illinois, where he will attend the special 200th birthday of President Abraham Lincoln on Thursday.

Thanks for the current post, Tim.
I should have some of the 2007-2009 stuff posted shorlty. I hope you will like them. Please feel fit to post on the current stuff....
Less than 3 months to the first Republican Presidential debate!!!!

one nitpick, I don't see Cj working for a group that could hurt the Democratic Party, I think I better pick would be Joey Lucas.

darthbalmung said:
one nitpick, I don't see Cj working for a group that could hurt the Democratic Party, I think I better pick would be Joey Lucas.

You know, I don't see C.J. working for a political group in hardly any capacity. She's too busy starting a family and playing around with Franklin Hollis' 10 million dollars. Her involvement in the One Nation '10 PAC must be an advisory position, maybe just for monetary compensation (most former Chief of Staffs are "involved" in tons of minor political organizations).

I see C.J. treating the PAC as hardly anything of consequence, leaving her name on the door as the Republican Bridges, and right-leaning Gianelli and Ludlow, wield all the real power.

Just to let you know I have the first three "flashbacks" written, and will post them shortly.
They will include, The conformation of the VP, a major foreign policy sucess, and the start of a major sex scandal.
Stay tuned!!!

I see C.J. treating the PAC as hardly anything of consequence, leaving her name on the door as the Republican Bridges, and right-leaning Gianelli and Ludlow, wield all the real power.

The One Nation '10 PAC is supposed to be a fictionalized version of Unity '08, which in OTL never got anywhere and ended up being sort of the private plaything of Mayor Bloomberg.

I will have a similar thing happen later, mostly surrounding the Commander-in-Chief characters I've introduced. They are a distraction at best from the main campaign but I'm adding it anyways for flavor and drama. As my intentionally snarky insider article indicates, a lot of the bipartisanship is just for show, and C.J. Cregg has her name on the PAC but isn't really involved with a lot of it, especially the bit about possibly creating a third party presidential candidate. I think it would be interesting if other non-mainstream movements formed in this timeline like they did in 2008, with the Ron Paul movement on the Republican side and Gravel and Kucinich on the Democrats', and the Libertarian Party having a showdown with like ten candidates and the Green Party nominating an African-American/Puerto Rican all-female presidential ticket and so on. What fringe parties exist in the West Wing?

I haven't yet figured out what to do with Wu yet, but I will write a profile on him eventually and in the meantime I'll probably post some other stuff about ON10 this weekend.

Has anyone else added "Season 10" original characters so far?

The Times, Thursday February 1st 2007
Eric Baker sworn in as vice-president
Eric Baker, Governor of Pennsylvannia was confirmed by the US Senate, and sworn in as vice-president last night.
The decision by President Santos to allow Baker to go through a Senate conformation rather than let the electoral college vote him through was viewed by many as a risky move, as it was expected that Senate Republicans who hold the majority would not confirm Baker, but with Former opponent Arnold Vinick appointed Secetary of State this helped to smooth things over for Baker.
Senate Majority Leader, Robert Royce said "that the country needs a vice-president, espically in these times of global uncertainy" and he urged his senators to vote for a conformation, he also said of his fellow Pennsylvannian "he is a decent public servant". In the end only three senators voted against Baker, Republicans Simon and Carrick and one Democrat Warren.
Baker speaking at a press conference after taking the oath of office said "he was hounoured to hold the office, but people should not forget the tragic circumantances of Leo McGarrys death on election night".

The Daily Telegraph, Saturday Febuary 10th 2007
Congressman Fields to seek Texas Governorship in 2008
Congressman Tim Fields, a close personnel friend of President Santos announced yesterday that he would be seeking the Democratic nomination for Governor of Texas next year.
Fields had been a candidate for Speaker of the House, but he lost to Mark B. Sellner. Fields who entered congress in 1992 and is now entering his eigth term is expected to have no serious primary challenger, with Republican Governor Barry Hopkins term-limited, Fields expected opponent is current Lt, Governor Phil Prior, a former Army Officer.

Last edited:
The Times, Saturday February 17th 2007
Qumar begins executions for homosexuality
The Qumari government confirmed Thursday that two men were executed in a public stoning last week for committing homosexual acts, and said that fifty more men would be executed in the coming days for various "morality violations".
A judiciary spokesman, told reporters that a death sentence by stoning had been carried out last week in the city of Jasken , west of Jabal Nafusah the capital city.
"The verdict was final, and such acts are against the will of the people" the ISNA news agency quoted the spokesman as saying.
He said the 50 additional executions were for such things as "adultry, rape, and more for homosexuality." Most executions in Qumar are stonings, often in public and at the scenes of the alleged crimes.
The police arrested about 2,000 people in the first two months of the year during a so-called morality crackdown.
United States Secetary of State Arnold Vinick said he "was very troubled by the arrests and executions, and had told the Qumari Ambassador Prince Umar Usaf to his face yesterday".

Last edited:
For some contemporary news:

New York Times, February 13, 2009
Lincoln Bicentennial Held, Republican Field Widens

SPRINGFIELD, IL - At the Lincoln tomb in Springfield, the Lincoln Bicentennial Commission held an all-day ceremony and remembrance for President Abraham Lincoln. Speakers included President Santos, Senators Montgomery and Enlow of Illinois, and former Speaker of the House and Illinois Governor Jim Hohner.

Those attending included Vice President Baker; former Presidents Newman, Bartlet, and Walken; former Vice Presidents Pierce, Eisenhower, Hoynes, and Russell; the Senators and Governors from Kentucky and Indiana; Representatives from Illinois; the family of late Illinois politician Leo McGarry; and various other politicians and Lincolnians.

President Newman's speech about sadly breaking Lincoln's height record was considered one of the more funnier moments, while Mallory O'Brien's speech about her father's efforts to begin the Lincoln Bicentennial Commission in 2004 were one of the more somber times.

Earlier in the day, former Speaker Hohner made the surprise announcement, from Lincoln's home in New Salem, that he would seek the Republican nomination for President. Hohner, who has been in retirement for six years, was instrumental in the Republican takeover of Congress in 1996. He had previously served as the Governor of Illinois and was the Republican candidate for Vice President in 1986.

MSNBC.com, February 13, 2009
Former Speaker Dead at 71

SPRINGFIELD, IL (AP/Reuters)- Early reports are coming in that former Republican Speaker James E. Hohner of Illinois passed away last night as he slept. He had announced mere hours earlier his intention to seek the Republican nomination for 2010. Hohner had also spoke at the Lincoln Bicentennial Celebration on sharing Lincoln's humble origins.

Hohner, 71, previously served in the same seat as Lincoln in the Illinois Congress from 1967 to 1979. He then served in the United States Congress for four years before being winning election as Illinois Governor in 1982. In 1986, he declined to run for a second term when he was surprisingly chosen by Republican Presidential candidate Joseph Furman of Georgia as his running mate. After a failed run for the United States Senate in 1990, Hohner was re-elected to the United States House in 1992. Together with Congressmen Walken, Webb, and Bruno, Hohner orchestrated the Republican takeover of Congress in 1996, and narrowly beat out Webb in the election for Speaker of the House.

He retired from the House in 2003, elevating his protege Congressman Walken (R-MO) to the Speakership and stating in interviews that he would be seeking a private life. He is survived by his mother, five children, and three ex-wives.

For some contemporary news:

New York Times, February 13, 2009
Lincoln Bicentennial Held, Republican Field Widens

SPRINGFIELD, IL - At the Lincoln tomb in Springfield, the Lincoln Bicentennial Commission held an all-day ceremony and remembrance for President Abraham Lincoln. Speakers included President Santos, Senators Montgomery and Enlow of Illinois, and former Speaker of the House and Illinois Governor Jim Hohner.

Those attending included Vice President Baker; former Presidents Newman, Bartlet, and Walken; former Vice Presidents Pierce, Eisenhower, Hoynes, and Russell; the Senators and Governors from Kentucky and Indiana; Representatives from Illinois; the family of late Illinois politician Leo McGarry; and various other politicians and Lincolnians.

President Newman's speech about sadly breaking Lincoln's height record was considered one of the more funnier moments, while Mallory O'Brien's speech about her father's efforts to begin the Lincoln Bicentennial Commission in 2004 were one of the more somber times.

Earlier in the day, former Speaker Hohner made the surprise announcement, from Lincoln's home in New Salem, that he would seek the Republican nomination for President. Hohner, who has been in retirement for six years, was instrumental in the Republican takeover of Congress in 1996. He had previously served as the Governor of Illinois and was the Republican candidate for Vice President in 1986.

MSNBC.com, February 13, 2009
Former Speaker Dead at 71

SPRINGFIELD, IL (AP/Reuters)- Early reports are coming in that former Republican Speaker James E. Hohner of Illinois passed away last night as he slept. He had announced mere hours earlier his intention to seek the Republican nomination for 2010. Hohner had also spoke at the Lincoln Bicentennial Celebration on sharing Lincoln's humble origins.

Hohner, 71, previously served in the same seat as Lincoln in the Illinois Congress from 1967 to 1979. He then served in the United States Congress for four years before being winning election as Illinois Governor in 1982. In 1986, he declined to run for a second term when he was surprisingly chosen by Republican Presidential candidate Joseph Furman of Georgia as his running mate. After a failed run for the United States Senate in 1990, Hohner was re-elected to the United States House in 1992. Together with Congressmen Walken, Webb, and Bruno, Hohner orchestrated the Republican takeover of Congress in 1996, and narrowly beat out Webb in the election for Speaker of the House.

He retired from the House in 2003, elevating his protege Congressman Walken (R-MO) to the Speakership and stating in interviews that he would be seeking a private life. He is survived by his mother, five children, and three ex-wives.
Tim, superb, loved the bit about Newman beating Lincoln's hight record......
It might worth reminding people of the timeline prior to the series, eg where Eisenhower fits in and Vice-President Pierce etc!!!
Hope you like the the first 2007 posts. Can you guess where I am going in plot terms?
By the way I think Holner's one day run for the Presidency would make it shortest presidential campaign in history!!!!

Underboss_3 said:
Former vice president Eisenhower? THIS I've gotta hear about!

Nothing too spectacular. In the episode "The Wedding," a reference was made to having the worst polling in Illinois since the Dems ran against Eisenhower. Given that, in the real world, Illinois went Republican tons of times since Dwight D. Eisenhower, I took the assumption that a future Eisenhower ran against the Democrats at some point since the 1980s. Placing him ("Franklin Eisenhower") as Bartlet's opponent in '98, and giving him the background of Lassiter's VP, seemed only fitting. Bartlet probably won Illinois then, but I don't doubt that he had a hard time with Speaker Hohner doing some stump speeches.

Marky Bunny said:
Tim, superb, loved the bit about Newman beating Lincoln's hight record......
It might worth reminding people of the timeline prior to the series, eg where Eisenhower fits in and Vice President Pierce etc!!!

I want to be vague enough (like the show was) so people can imagine their own PODs and what-have-you, but I just had to insert my list of living Presidents and Vice Presidents.

Tim Thomason said:
...Speakers included ...Senators Montgomery and Enlow of Illinois, and former Speaker of the House and Illinois Governor Jim Hohner.

George Montgomery and Jack Enlow were Senators seen within the series. "Jim Hohner" was mentioned very briefly as Walken's predecessor as Speaker. Since an Illinois Speaker was serving in the 107th Congress (2001-2002), I took all previous mentions (1999-2002) of the Speaker as being of Hohner, which means he was from Illinois (like Hastert) and had marital problems (like Gingrich).

Tim Thomason said:
Those attending included Vice President Baker; former Presidents Newman, Bartlet, and Walken; former Vice Presidents Pierce, Eisenhower, Hoynes, and Russell ... the family of late Illinois politician Leo McGarry; and ...

Baker, Newman, Bartlet, Walken, Hoynes, Russell, and McGarry are of course all seen in the series. Senator Roland Pierce was seen in an episode (as a Ted Kennedy-esque figure), and I took his stature and effect on others around him (who remember, deal with Senators and Congressmen all the time) and decided he was the perfect fit as Newman's VP. Nothing goes against it.

Tim Thomason said:
...Mallory O'Brien's speech about her father's efforts to begin the Lincoln Bicentennial Commission in 2004 were one of the more somber times...

This occurred during the "missing year." Unfortunately, McGarry was fighting in Vietnam during Andrew Jackson's bicentennial, so he had to settle with coordinating Lincoln's.

Tim Thomason said:
...Hohner ... was instrumental in the Republican takeover of Congress in 1996. He had previously served as the Governor of Illinois and was the Republican candidate for Vice President in 1986.

In 2006, it was stated that the Republicans had been in control of Congress for ten years. So I assume it was similar to the '94 takeover, with Hohner in a Gingrich-like role. I threw in Hohner as the '86 VP candidate a long time ago as a joke on that both he and the presidential candidate (Joseph Furman) would be the congressional leaders, and in the line of succession, some years later.

Tim Thomason said:
...[Hohner political biography]...

Mostly made-up. Chuck Webb was Sam Seaborn's opponent in his special election and a big-wig Republican congressman. Walken would later be Speaker and Joseph Bruno was one of the key Republican Committee Chairman.

Marky Bunny said:
Hope you like the the first 2007 posts. Can you guess where I am going in plot terms?

Well, having Fields run for Governor reminds of something from earlier upthread. The Qumar executions are an interesting development, considering who's involved in the 2010 election.

Marky Bunny said:
By the way I think Hohner's one day run for the Presidency would make it shortest presidential campaign in history!!!!
Probably. I'm a little interested in seeing who "steps up to the plate," and tries to run "in Hohner's place."

The 2007 Qamar exceutions are actually based on similar killings done in Iran 2006, when they hanged two homosexsauls and stoned to death five men who had had adultry.
What happens in Qumar will tie into 2010 election, in a couple of ways, as the story develops.
Some up dates from 2007 to follow in a couple of days.

An excellent thread about one of my favorite TV shows. However, I must point out that at least in this universe, Texas does not term limit is governors. Perhaps you are indicating that the West Wing universe is more rational.

I thought that Texas elected its governors in what would be off-years in our timeline, that is, 1994, 1998, 2002, etc., the years wherein presidential elections are held on the West Wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.