Protect and Survive: The Last Game, February 19, 1984

Introduction, part 1
--this is ABC News, with continuing coverage of the war. I'm Tom Jarriel, from New York. It's 7:58 p.m. on the East Coast, 4:58 on the West Coast. There is plenty of news related to the war which we will return to shortly, but we did want to note that the sports world here in the U.S. has continued to play on, until today, the last scheduled day of competition for some time. This network would have carried coverage of the Winter Olympics from Sarajevo in Yugoslavia, but that event was postponed weeks ago.

The professional leagues have already suspended play, but college basketball, pro tennis, and horse racing played on, while a legendary golfer put on an exhibition for fans on what would have been the final day of play for the PGA tournament in Los Angeles. In Cincinnati, a legendary hero returned home to play in a hastily arranged exhibition baseball game, and eight other Major League stadiums hosted exhibitions, put on by the MLB Players Association with the consent of team owners. All of that is done, now, except for one game in Nashville, Tennessee, where with one minute and seven seconds remaining in overtime, the--

--this is a special edition of SportsCenter. I'm David Sullivan.

And I'm Gayle Gardner. On the last day of scheduled competition, ESPN will show a quadruple header of college basketball, starting with the University of Tennessee women's basketball team at Georgia, tipping off at noon Eastern. Then, Dayton at North Carolina men at 2 Eastern; Louisville at Western Kentucky men at 4 Eastern, then the last scheduled game, Kentucky men at Vanderbilt at 6 Eastern. Following that game, we'll have the finals of the ATP tournament in California featuring Jimmy Connors against Jimmy Arias, and then a late SportsCenter with all of the highlights, plus the last day of horse racing across the country, L.A. Open champion Jack Nicklaus puts on an exhibition for the fans, and Number 14 returns home to play in a scheduled exhibition baseball game, closed to the public, but carried on local television.

(Sullivan) We'll have all that, and more, including highlights from Saturday's games, including Nicklaus's birdie on the final hole to win--

--I'm a reporter for the Herald-Leader.

I think I'm dying.

They're putting on a brave face, but I can read between the lines. I don't know how much time I have left, so if I'm going to do this I suppose I need to start now.

One of the 'benefits', as it were, of life after a nuclear war is that while everyone else is fighting for food and water and medicine, you get all the paper and typewriter ribbons to yourself. Another is, well, you have plenty of time to yourself. No job, no paper, no work.

No excuse not to write the tell-all story. Not to tell people who will come after me what life was like before the war, before the bombs.

No excuse not to tell people of how grand basketball was back then.

Someone needs to tell the story of The Last Game, and since there aren't a whole lot of us around that I know of, I suppose it's up to me to tell it.

I want to go back years, or even to the start of the season or maybe a week before. But I suppose I'll start on the day of--

On, on, U of K,
We are right for the fight today,
Hold that ball and hit that line;
Ev'ry Wildcat star will shine;
We'll FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT
For the Blue and White
As we roll to that goal, Varsity,
And we'll kick, pass and run,
'Til the battle is won,

And we'll bring home the victory!!!

Last edited:
Introduction, part 2
—up the road in Lexington, the University of Kentucky Wildcats have established themselves as one of the bluebloods of college basketball. Five national titles, most recently in 1978. Multiple All-Americans. This season, they’re one of the favorites to make it to Seattle for the Final Four and contend for the national championship.

But they’re not the only game in town.

Here in Louisville, the University of Louisville Cardinals are one of the top programs in the nation. They have a national title of their own, in 1980. They went to the Final Four last season, and beat their state rivals, Kentucky, to get there. Long derided as ‘little brother’ by the fans of the program in Lexington, U of L is now ‘little brother’ to no one.—

Fight now for victory and show them
How we sure will win this game
Fight on you Card'nals and prove to them
That we deserve our fame.
Rah, Rah, Rah!
Roll up the score now and beat the foe
So we can give a yell
With a FIGHT! give them all you've got
For we are with you U of L.

C! A! R! D! S! CARDS!

—this is WHAS 84, Louisville. It’s 7:30 and time for the news, sponsored by Citizens Fidelity Bank.

(EIGHTY-FOUR…W-H-A-S…LOUIE-VIIILLLEEE)

(News sounder)

I’m Dan Burgess, WHAS News. It’s 31 cloudy right now here in Louisville. Meteorologist Ken Schulz predicts a high of 44. The complete forecast is coming up.

Allied forces are striking back against Warsaw Pact forces in Western Europe. CBS News reports that the U.S. Navy has attacked and damaged Soviet ships off the coast of Denmark, while a second counter attack in the Fulda Gap has caused Soviet tank divisions to retreat.

People continue to flee the fighting, into France. A family of five from West Germany drove, then walked into a town in eastern France looking for asylum, according to Reuters.

Here at home, Governor Collins is asking for strict fuel rationing to begin on Monday, but she’s meeting heavy resistance in the state Senate. Several Republicans are threatening to hold up the vote when it comes before the General Assembly today.

A Laurel County woman was rescued by federal agents and Ohio State Highway Patrolmen last night outside Columbus. The woman was abducted by two prisoners who had attacked guards taking them to prisons in Michigan and West Virginia and forced to drive them in her car. The agent flagged the car as suspicious, and a chase ensued from south of Columbus to just north of the city; the car wrecked off the interstate and the men ran from the scene, but were chased down by patrolmen. The two men were taken to a Columbus jail; the charges include kidnapping and assault. The woman was treated in a Columbus hospital and arrangements are being made to return her to her home.

Mumfordville police arrested five men who attempted to blockade Interstate 65 in both directions with their own vehicles. The town has taken on hundreds of people in recent days, a and some local residents protested in front of the mayor’s office Friday. A petition has circulated in and around Mumfordville asking for the mayor and police to ban anyone not from the county for the duration of the fighting in Europe.

Services are still scheduled for tomorrow in Greenup, Kentucky, for author and state poet laureate Jesse Stuart, who died yesterday at age 76. He will be buried in Greenup.

Taylorsville has opened Spencer County High School for people who may need shelter if hostilities worsen and Louisville and Jefferson County needs to be evacuated.

The University of Louisville men’s basketball team will play their final game for awhile this afternoon, in Bowling Green against Western Kentucky. The game will be carried here on WHAS, with pregame at 3 and tip-off around 4. The University of Kentucky will also play their final game tonight at Vanderbilt, with tip-off around 6. Pregame will be on our sister station, WAMZ 97.5 FM, at 5 and picked up in progress here on 84 WHAS, although if news breaks it will be switched to WAMZ.

Now with a check of that Action Track Radar Weather, here’s meteorologist Ken Schulz.

It’ll be cloudy and cooler today with a chance of rain and a high of 44. Tonight, colder with possible snow flurries, with a low in the low 30s. Tomorrow, partly sunny with a high in the mid-40s. In Lexington it’s 30, and here in Louisville it’s 31. I’m Ken Schulz.

And I’m Dan Burgess, with 84 WHAS with continuing coverage of the war in Europe. We’ll return to CBS News coverage until 9, when Joe Donovan and Kim Scott take your calls up to the U of L game—

I covered U of L basketball for the Courier-Journal.

I was there for its last game, down in Bowling Green against Western Kentucky. I went back to Louisville, on the bus. I regret that to this day. I should’ve stayed in Bowling Green.

I was there, in Louisville, when the city went to hell. I got out by the skin of my teeth, and saw the cloud. I couldn’t tell if it was over downtown near where I used to work, or if it was over the airport.

I walked, drove, crawled, fought, bribed, hid and talked my way into Lexington.

I’m doing good, health wise. I’m alive. I don’t have cancer — yet.

My friend’s writing his memoirs. He made me think, I need to write mine. He covered UK. He’s gonna write about them.

Someone needs to write about U of L. Coach Crum, the team, the program, the city. Almost everyone I talk to nowadays wants to forget about Louisville. I want to remember Louisville. I want to remember everything about it, including the Cards.

Perhaps if I remember hard enough, it’ll come back someday.

Last edited:
This is a story based on a 14-year-old timeline that, IMHO, is one of the greatest timelines ever written on this site.

Macragge1's creation, Protect and Survive, is set in Britain in a world where the Cold War went hot in 1984, exploring the world before and after the balloon goes up. It inspired a host of spinoffs set in different parts of the world. One of those, Land of Flatwater by @Chipperback , inspired me to give it, and other timelines, a go. I am indebted to them both and if I can come close to attaining the level of excellence both writers achieved, I will have done well.

This is a story based on a 14-year-old timeline that, IMHO, is one of the greatest timelines ever written on this site.

Macragge1's creation, Protect and Survive, is set in Britain in a world where the Cold War went hot in 1984, exploring the world before and after the balloon goes up. It inspired a host of spinoffs set in different parts of the world. One of those, Land of Flatwater by @Chipperback , inspired me to give it, and other timelines, a go. I am indebted to them both and if I can come close to attaining the level of excellence both writers achieved, I will have done well
Look forward to reading it! Always need more Protect and Survive stories on here

Protect and Survive spawned off its own universe. Most of the storylines were started soon after the original, some (like mine) came recently. Here's a rough guide to the P&SVerse:

Protect and Survive: by @Macragge1, the OG of the P&SVerse, and in my opinion one of the greatest timelines in the history of this forum. A 2011 Turtledove winner

Land of Flatwater: by @Chipperback , set in Nebraska before and after the Exchange, it follows several characters, most notably a young Black boy who has to grow up and find love during hard times...and a grizzled Black federal agent trying to end a psychopath in the midst of the apocalypse.

We Served the Soviet Union, by @Panzerfaust 150 , focuses on interviews of USSR soldiers stranded in the U.S. after the Exchange.

Ashes of the Dragon: A Protect and Survive Tale, by @General_Paul , set in mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.

There Won't Be Any Illuminations, by @Will Ritson, takes place in the author's native region of Lancashire, England.

Duck and Cover: by @Gen_Patton, the first American spinoff.

There Is No Depression: by @Tsar of New Zealand , set in the author's native New Zealand.

The Day After: another U.S. based spinoff by @Gen_Patton, incorporating elements of the famous 1983 movie.

Noi non ci saremo: by @Mario Rossi , set in the author's native Italy. It has the distinction of being the first-ever spinoff in the P&SVerse.

The Land of Sad Songs: by @DrakonFin , set in the author's native Finland.

The Last Flight of XM594: by @Bernard Woolley , focusing on an RAF Avro Bomber crew during the Exchange.

P&S: No Rest for the Wicked: by @Agentdark , mercenaries in Africa during WW III.

Don't Turn Your Back on the Wolfpack: by @stalkere, life in western New York after the bombs hit Buffalo and other nearby targets.

When the Wind Blew: A P&S Open Thread: post your ideas and proposals here!

Protect and Survive Miami: End of Watch: by @wolverinethad , the war comes to the Sunshine State.

Pro Aris et Pro Focus: by @GAB-1955, focuses on a New York National Guard division in New York City - and New Yorkers who find refuge outside of it - during the build up to The Exchange.

That Damned Bridge: by @Top hats daily, set in Minnesota.

Northern Wind: by @JoHansen, set in the author's native Norway.

P&S Question: What would become of music? By @Emperor Norton I is an older thread that tackles the question of how pop music would evolve in a post-Exchange world.

The Journey: by @Bernard Woolley , is a short story set in Scotland in 2007.

P&S: Report on Germany, by @Hörnla, is a series of reports written by a Swiss military draftee during the war, posted to a 2010s newsgroup by the writer's nephew.

Protect and Survive (Ireland), by @Wolf_Tone, is set in the author's native Ireland.

The Fighting Illini, by @Zoom, set in central Illinois.

Shelter from the Storm, by @GeneralPaul, set in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

The Kingfisher Strikes, by @USN vet , focusing on the USS John Young from February 21st onwards.

Run Silent Run Deep, by @Shaby , focusing on the USS Michigan submarine.

The Lucky Country, by @PimpLenin, is based in Australia before, during and after The Exchange.

Lower Canada in the 1980s, by @Peace_Monger , is based in southern Ontario.

A Land of Black and Red Scars, by @Alex1guy , is also based in Australia.

Good Night Vietnam, by @John Farson , is a short story based in Vietnam.

Escape to the Blue Ridges, by @Deblano , is based in Virginia.

The Island, by @vl100butch , based in the U.S. Gulf region, specifically the states of Louisiana and Mississippi and the Texas cities of Beaumont and Port Arthur.

(Note to the reader: this post is a work in progress. I will fill it out over the next day)

Last edited:
At least TTL will have a good final NCAA title game (in 1983 in OTL) and this will be the last highlight of the Final Four ITTL:

Good start, and waiting for more...

At least TTL will have a good final NCAA title game (in 1983 in OTL) and this will be the last highlight of the Final Four ITTL:

Good start, and waiting for more...
N.C. State: the Last National Champion.

On the plus side (if there is one), Kentucky won't go 3 for 33 (!) against Georgetown in the Final Four...

3. How We Got Here
Sunday, February 19, 1984

The Lexington Herald-Leader

HOW WE GOT HERE

A timeline of the war's effects on the sports world up to today's final scheduled events:

January

--a KLM airliner is shot down by an Warsaw Pact-affiliated interceptor plane. The Soviets deny responsibility.

The International Olympic Committee decides to postpone the Winter Olympics scheduled to begin February 8 in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia.

30--The English Football Association, after discussion with U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, representatives of the Ministry of Defence, and representatives of MI5 and MI6 came to a policy that the FA schedule would postponed in the event that 10 Downing Street initiates Emergency Powers.

The West German Bundesliga, in consultation with the West German government, also followed the lead of the English FA.

In response, the Union of European Football Associations announced that all European Cup and UEFA Cup matches will be postponed and rescheduled at this time, due to the high possibility of teams having to travel across the Iron Curtain.

February

--National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern (on his first day on the job succeeding Larry O'Brien) announced that the NBA schedule will continue day-to-day, after direct consultation with President Ronald Reagan.

2--The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) made their policy public: they would leave regular season competition and conference tournament decisions up to their member conferences. Winter season NCAA Championships, including basketball, will be contested as scheduled for the time being. Spring sports would also play as schedule for the time being.

3--National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) chief executive officer Bill France, in a press conference at Daytona International Speedway, confirmed that the February 19th running of the Daytona 500 is still on. Like the NBA and the NHL, NASCAR will make decisions as situations warrant them. Most teams are already in Daytona preparing for Daytona Speedweeks.

9--An incident between Soviet Spetsnaz agents and West German GSG-9 agents leaves four dead.

10--An explosion aboard an airplane carrying dependents of U.S. Air Force personnel explodes at the airport in Munich, West Germany; all onboard are lost. The U.S. moves to DEFCON2.

11--UEFA orders postponement for all European leagues. The "Big Four" leagues (FA First Division, Italian Serie A, Spanish Primera, West German Bundesliga) called for the total continent-wide ban.

The Federation Internationale du Automobile (FIA) announced that calendars for all championships, including Formula 1, World Rally Championship and World Endurance Championship will be "provisionally postponed". The Rally of Sweden, was started Friday February 10 and will continue as scheduled.

Major League Baseball maintained their position in a statement that they will consult with the individual clubs and the Major League Baseball Players Association regarding suspension of play. Most teams are preparing to open spring training camps on Wednesday, February 15.

The Ivy League was the first NCAA Division I conference to suspend competition, with a unanimous vote of all eight member schools, effective Monday February 13.

12--NASCAR racing began at Daytona with the exhibition 50-mile 20-lap Busch Clash. Neil Bonnett won the all-star event, composed of pole position and race winners from the previous season.

Swede Stig Bloomquist and co-driver Bjorn Cederberg led an Audi Quattro sweep of the podium at the Rally of Sweden. France Michele Mouton with co-driver Fabrizia Pons was second. Swede Per Eklund with co-driver Dave Whitlock was third.

The Big Eight Conference announced that all competition would be postponed after February 12th, in anticipation of order school closings in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado over the next 5 days.

13-- The states of Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado order the closings of public schools and universities effective February 14th in Nebraska and Kansas, 15th in Oklahoma and 16th in Colorado. College conferences that have member schools in those states — the Midwestern City Conference; the Missouri Valley Conference; and the Western Athletic Conference; voted to suspend competition until further notice.

The sanctioning bodies of the high schools in those states and the NCAA Division I East Coast Conference, ECAC Metro, ECAC North Atlantic and ECAC South conferences followed suit.

DePaul, which will close its doors on the 14th, was the first of the major independents to suspend play; the Blue Demons, at 19-0, are the only unbeaten major college basketball team.

“Our players are hurt. They understand why the school made its decision, and are greatly concerned about the international situation, but they don’t like it. I don’t, either. I hear some schools are talking about playing in the spring, if things get better and the NCAA allows it. I just hope we have the chance.”—DePaul head coach Ray Meyer.

Boston College's men's basketball team plays what will be its last game, a 68-65 loss to Big East rival St. John's.

14--Following the lead of the Big Eight Conference, the Big Ten Conference and the Pacific-10 Conference both voted to suspend play after games scheduled on Friday February 17, 1984. The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Southern Conference and the Southwestern Athletic Conference voted to suspend competition immediately.

The Associated Press men’s and women’s polls are released. North Carolina tops the men’s poll, followed by DePaul, Georgetown, Houston, UNLV and Kentucky. Texas is No. 1 in the women’s poll, followed by Louisiana Tech, USC, Georgia and Old Dominion. The United Press International coaches polls have the same top teams ranked in the same order.

They will turn out to be the final polls released by the AP and UPI.

The Pro Bowlers Association suspends its season indefinitely, beginning with Saturday’s True Value Open at Peoria, Illinois.

The ATP men’s tour opts to play the Congoleum Classic in La Quinta, California. The WTA tour cancelled the U.S. Women’s National Indoor Championship in East Hanover, N.J., and postponed its season indefinitely.

The San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles sections of the California Interscholastic Federation opt to suspend play effective immediately. The other seven CIF sections follow suit; with the regular season having ended, the postseason for basketball is officially suspended. The CIF releases a statement that the basketball playoffs could be pushed back as late as May, pending a resolution of international tensions and reasonable assurances of student and fan safety.

"Some of the kids want to play, of course, and they're all scared. Honestly, I'm scared, too. This is the right decision." -- Santa Ana Mater Dei boys' basketball coach Gary McKnight

Iowa, Missouri and New Mexico's high school sanctioning bodies also suspend competition. Many of the lower-profile major independents suspended play as well.

15 -- With the Soviet Union's announcement of an ultimatum to the NATO alliance. Major League Baseball ordered all teams to postpone spring training pending a resolution of the crisis. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn said the plans are in the works for a rescheduling of the season to play a full 162 game season, but there are also contingency plans for a 144-game slate if necessary. The minor leagues follow suit.

The Akai Gold Challenge men's tennis tournament, which was to start today in Sydney, Australia, was cancelled. Several international stars -- among them American John McEnroe; Czech Ivan Lendl; Argentine Guillermo Vilas; and Swede Mats Wilander -- had withdrew in the past two days.

Several international players, among them American Calvin Peete, withdrew from the Australian Masters golf tournament in Melbourne, scheduled to begin play this week.

The United States Football League announced it would postpone the start of its season to March 24, to allow for hostilities to cease, then play a shortened 14-game season.

Independents Notre Dame and Marquette and The Big Sky Conference, Ohio Valley Conference, the Pacific Coast Athletic Association, Trans America Conference and the West Coast Conference voted to suspend play effective immediately as did all NCAA Division II and III and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) conferences and most minor independents.

Alaska, American Samoa, Arkansas, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming suspend high school athletic competition.

16--New York State governor Mario Cuomo closes all public schools in the state; the New York City public school league suspends competition indefinitely. The private schools follow suit. Arizona, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin also suspend high school competition.

The Major League Baseball Players Association announces that exhibition games for peace will be played at an unspecified number of American and National League stadiums Sunday, February 21, pending approval by the owners and local officials.

Nine MLB stadiums were announced as hosts for MLBPA games:
  • Arlington Stadium, Arlington, Texas
  • Astrodome, Houston, Texas
  • Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia
  • Busch Stadium, St. Louis, Missouri
  • Dodger Stadium, Chavez Ravine, California
  • Jack Murphy Stadium, San Diego, California
  • Kingdome, Seattle, Washington
  • Municipal Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio
  • Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio

The twin 125-mile qualifying races at Daytona are run in front of the largest crowd in history of the qualifying races which rivaled a Daytona 500 race crowd. Prior to the races there was a massive anti-Soviet demonstration outside of the Speedway in protest to the Soviet ultimatum to NATO.

"Today by racing, were going to send them Russians a message that they can kiss our American asses." -- NASCAR team owner Junior Johnson

The Atlantic 10 Conference and Mid-American Conference voted to suspend play immediately.

The Sun Belt Conference voted 7-1 to suspend play but allow member schools to schedule games against anyone who would play them, as a concession to Western Kentucky which cast the lone vote against suspending play.

Dayton, the last independent to still play, picked up three games against ACC opponents — at Georgia Tech tonight, at Virginia on Saturday and at North Carolina on Sunday. UNC was to host Maryland, but Maryland told the conference its administration had directed the Athletic department to end play after the 18th.

"It's a chance for our kids to play. They all voted for it, the administration and the athletic department is behind us, we have some fans following us. It's an opportunity to showcase our program against great competition. But we all hope they settle things over there peacefully, and we can get back to normal. Life is too precious."--Don Donoher, head coach of the Dayton men's basketball program.

"We all have what's going on in the back of our minds. Getting out there and playing helps us deal with that, and we're like every other team. We don't want it to end."--Larry Schellenberg, Dayton guard, from Floyds Knobs, Indiana

Georgia Tech, whose game against Metro Conference member South Carolina on the 16th had been cancelled, picked up Dayton as a replacement. The Yellow Jackets' season ended with a 73-64 win.

The PGA's Los Angeles Open begins at Riveria Country Club and will play three rounds, with Sunday's final round being cancelled. Eleven players withdraw before play begins, citing safety concerns. Four will withdraw after Thursday's opening round and three more after Friday's second round.

"I have family and friends back home in Kentucky. I don't want to be away from them if something bad were to happen."--Russ Cochran, PGA golfer and native of Paducah, Kentucky who withdrew right before Thursday's opening round

17--The last major high school sanctioning bodies -- Alabama, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas (UIL and TAPPS) suspend competition effective Sunday, February 19. Most schools, especially those near military bases, cancel all scheduled games immediately.

Indiana and Kentucky officially postpone the high school basketball postseason (boys and girls for Kentucky, boys for Indiana) with the possibility of contesting it later in March, April or May. The semistate tournaments for girls' basketball in Indiana play on, although the Final Four (scheduled for next weekend in Indianapolis) will be postponed indefinitely, while the Kentucky state wrestling tournament is still held but moved to Frankfort's Franklin County High School, with the unrest in Louisville.

The National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League and the North American Soccer League’s indoor competition suspend all games scheduled from February 18 forward until further notice, due to the outbreak of war and the high possibility of a nuclear attack.

The Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big East Conference and the Southeastern Conference will play their weekend slate of games, then postpone their schedules from February 20th forward.

In a meeting Friday night, NASCAR's teams voted to postpone the Goody's 300 and the Daytona 500. The Florida Times-Union reported that 28 of the teams scheduled to race had decided to stay and assist with Emergency Management Services.

The North Carolina women's basketball team beat Duke 69-66 in overtime; it's the last game they'll play before the suspension of play.

The LSU men beat Alabama 54-50 in both teams' last game.

18--beginning of the Third World War's conventional combat stage, in Western Europe.

The ACC, Big East and SEC men and women play, as do some Division II and III and NAIA schools in the south and Great Lakes region.

MEN
ACC
Clemson 67, Maryland 66, OT
-- Herman Veal missed a last-second tip-in, and the visiting Tigers escaped with the win over the Terrapins. Anthony Jenkins's 19 points led the Tigers.
Duke 79, Wake Forest 71 -- West German native Detlef Schrempf had 28 points and nine rebounds, lifting the host Blue Devils past the Demon Deacons. Duke's administration considered cancelling the game, but relented hours before tip-off; still, Cameron Indoor Stadium had just 2,700 fans in attendance.
North Carolina 91, North Carolina State 75 -- Michael Jordan had 32 points to lead the top-ranked and host Tar Heels past the defending national champion, and archrival, Wolfpack before 17,000 fans.
Virginia 63, Dayton 55 -- Olden Polynice had 25 points and 13 rebounds, and Jim Miller added 16 points as the host Cavaliers sent the Flyers to their second straight loss. Dayton replaced Houston, which was scheduled to play the Cavaliers but had already suspended play along with the other Southwest Conference teams.

BIG EAST
Providence 72, Georgetown 66, OT
-- Otis Thorpe played inspired basketball, pouring in 32 points to lead the host Friars to the upset of the third-ranked Hoyas. Patrick Ewing had 26 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out late in regulation.
St. John's 68, Pittsburgh 60 -- Chris Mullin has 28 points as the Redmen hold off Pitt before a crowd of 2,000 at Alumni Hall. Security was tight, and the New York Police Department had its hands full keeping the area around the arena safe.
Syracuse 72, UConn 70 -- Howard Triche hit a 12-footer with one second left to lift the host Orangemen past the Huskies before a crowd of 22,000 at the Carrier Dome.
Villanova 72, Seton Hall 66 -- Harold Pressley's 24 points and 11 rebounds helped the Wildcats hold off a second-half rally by the Pirates before a crowd of 5,200 at the Meadowlands. The New Jersey National Guard was present at the arena, but the mood was calm considering the war had begun hours earlier.

SEC
Auburn 81, Georgia 67
-- Chuck Person had 23 points and Charles Barkley 16 points and 14 rebounds as the No. 16 Tigers pulled away late in the game from the visiting Bulldogs.
Mississippi State 72, Ole Miss 56: Five players scored in double figures, and the visiting Bulldogs beat their archrival Rebels.
Florida at Tennessee, cancelled — citing security and travel concerns, Florida opted not to make the trip to Knoxville; Tennessee spoke with Alabama, Western Kentucky and Sewanee about playing on Saturday night or Sunday, but none of the schools agreed to play.

"What if we go up there and something bad happens? You and I both know what I mean. I don't want my players caught away from campus. Honestly, I want them back with their families. Basketball isn't important right now."
--Norm Sloan, Florida men's basketball head coach

"I would've loved to play just one more game. I understand where Norm's coming from. We all have higher priorities right now. I just hope the world gets to a point where we can restart basketball soon."
--Don DeVoe, Tennessee men's basketball head coach

WOMEN
ACC
Clemson 59, Wake Forest 51
-- Janet Knight had 25 points for the visiting Tigers.
Maryland 65, NC State 62 -- Mareta Richardson's 32 points led the host No. 18-ranked Terrapins. Linda Page had 36 points for the No. 13 Wolfpack.
Campbell at Duke, cancelled
Virginia-Georgia Tech, cancelled

BIG EAST
St. John’s 64, Seton Hall 54
Villanova at Boston College, cancelled
Iona at Connecticut, cancelled

SEC
Ole Miss 63, Mississippi State 61
-- Jennifer Gillom's 27 points led the No. 7 Lady Rebels past the host Lady Bulldogs. Ole Miss hit 8 of 10 free throws in the final two minutes.

PGA
Jack Nicklaus won the shortened PGA Los Angeles Open event with a four-under 209, one stroke ahead of Jack Renner. Nicklaus birdied No. 18 while Renner bogeyed the last hole. It was Nicklaus's first win since the summer of 1982.
LOS ANGELES OPEN
At Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Riveria Country Club, par-71
Purse: $400,000
Final round leaders

Jack Nicklaus..............68-71-70--209
Jack Renner................71-72-67--210
Fred Couples...............71-71-70--212
T.C. Chen..................72-72-69--213
Jim Colbert................71-74-73--218

"We're professionals. We're supposed to block everything out and focus on the course. That's impossible. I couldn't help but think of the war. My thoughts are with the soldiers in Europe fighting for our country and for everything it stands for. I hope sanity prevails, and that life will return to normal very soon."
--Nicklaus, talking to CBS golf reporter Ken Venturini after the network's coverage of the final hole.

In Melbourne, Australia, Greg Norman wins the shortened three-round Australian Masters tournament at the Huntingdale course with a four-under 215.

HORSE RACING
Hawthorne, Latonia, Santa Anita and most other major horse racing tracks ended competition after Saturday’s races.

TENNIS
Jimmy Connors and Jimmy Arias won their semifinal matches in the Congoleum Classic ATP tournament in La Quinta, California. Marty Davis and Chris Dunk beat Scott Davis and Ferdie Taygan 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 in the doubles final.

BASEBALL
Eight of the MLPBA exhibition games were officially cancelled; seven of the stadiums weren't ready for baseball. Busch Stadium in St. Louis was, but city officials cancelled the game, citing deteriorating conditions in downtown St. Louis. Only the game at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium -- organized with the help of former Cincinnati Red and current Montreal Expo Pete Rose -- is still scheduled for Sunday.

"These games were wishful thinking. Everyone's got more important things to do right now anyway."
--Dickie Thon, Houston Astros shortstop, who was supposed to play in the MLPBA exhibition at Houston's Astrodome.

"I know there's a war going on. But baseball played on during World War II. It was a morale booster. People here in Cincinnati, here in America need a morale booster of their own right now. I think in our own way, we can give them that booster."
--Pete Rose, contracted to the Montreal Expos, a Cincinnati native and a former player with the Cincinnati Reds and the Philadelphia Phillies

(OOC: @Chipperback wrote the original version of this timeline in his Land of Flatwater thread. I've added to and edited the timeline.)

Last edited:
4. Chapter 1
Chapter 1

February 19, 1984

“The Urban Council and I have a plan in place to move and secure the entire population. We’re not flying by the seat of our pants. We’re working on some details, talking to people. We’ll announce it tomorrow (Monday) morning. We’re on top of it.”
—Lexington, Kentucky Mayor Scotty Baesler, to reporters at a press conference, 7:38 a.m. Sunday, February 19, 1984

The Reporter

World War III was one hell of a story.

As a journalist, my responsibility is not to take sides but to tell the story and give the reader the facts. In regards to the war, others have told that story, all from their own individual perspectives.

My war was here, in the U.S., in Kentucky. I didn’t see the worst of it until after the missiles flew, but the war affected us all beforehand, myself included. Everyone thought about it. Some people, up to the hour the missiles hit the U.S., acted as if everything was normal. Some headed for the hills, literally. Most of us — that includes me — went about our business with impending doom on our minds.

It was strange, riding down to watch two teams play a game while the two great powers fought a bloody war a continent away across the ocean….

“(Jefferson) County Judge (Mitch) McConnell and myself have been working on an evacuation plan with the Crisis Committee for all of Jefferson County’s residents. We’re confident the emergency shelters in the adjacent counties will be ready should the worst come to pass.”
—Louisville, Kentucky Mayor Harvey Sloane, to The Courier-Journal, published in its Sunday, February 19, 1984 Kentucky, Indiana and Metro editions

The Beat Writer

When I left Louisville on the 19th, my apartment was, I’ll put it this way, full. I locked the door. I took my wife and our three kids with me.

I nearly got hit twice on Interstate 65, once by a van, once by a Porsche, both going I think 120 miles an hour. It seemed like everyone drove 80, 85 miles an hour (that’s when everyone had a car, or truck, or van of their own and gasoline was cheap and plentiful). My wife marveled that we got to Bowling Green in one piece.

Of course we listened to the news on the radio. We were scared. But we were too busy to dwell on it. I had this job, covering U of L basketball, because it gave me a paycheck and paid the bills for my family. My wife was busy taking care of the kids, and talking to my folks in Bardstown.

We were going to stay with them if the worst happened and ride it out there. We should’ve gone straight to Bardstown after I filed my story for the men’s game….

—CBS News continuing coverage of World War III. I’m Bob Schieffer, here in New York. It’s the second day of fighting in western Europe between the Allied Forces and the Warsaw Pact—

—people, carrying whatever they can, fleeing westward, away from the fighting—

—Soviet troops have entered Denmark—

—“…the Soviets have put us on the defensive. Yes, we have better machines. Yes, we have better technology. But they have the numbers.”—

—Key West, Florida on high alert for a possible air attack from Cuba—

—Border Patrol has stepped up surveillance along the U.S./Mexican border—

—Philadelphia has instituted a curfew effective today through the duration of the conflict—

—long lines at Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force recruitment centers throughout the Commonwealth and Southern Indiana—

—“I’m signing up because my country needs me. Football can wait. I don’t want to live under a Communist world.”—

—peace demonstrations in downtown Louisville, downtown Lexington, on the now-closed U of L and UK campuses, across the state from Paducah to Pikeville, and near Fort Knox and Fort Campbell—

—“War will solve nothing. War doesn’t build. It destroys. Lives, billions of them, are at stake. They have to stop the fighting and come to a peace agreement.”—

—India has offered to host peace talks in New Delhi between the U.S. and the Soviet Union—

—long lines at grocery stores everywhere in Kentucky and Indiana—

—Anderson County police are at every gas station and grocery and drug store in the county after three men tried to steal a young mother’s groceries yesterday. They were caught by bystanders and have been charged—

—sources tell WKYT that Governor Collins will address price-gouging in a special address to the state tonight at 9 Eastern—

—“I’m not paying goddamned 6.50 a gallon for gas. Here in Pikeville! That’s outrageous!”—

—coal miners in eastern Kentucky reportedly are talking about a strike—

—“some West Virginia legislators are talking about shutting down the state, putting a truck or something at the county line”—

—Louisville police tried to break up a brawl outside a Kroger in the Highlands—

—this is 59 WVLK. Just in to the newsroom, opposition is growing in the General Assembly to the Governor’s proposed rations on gasoline, according to WLEX-18. Eight more Republicans and Democrats in the Senate have said they’ll vote against the bill, scheduled for a 3 p.m. vote this afternoon. In other news, Miranda Hill, a Democrat from Louisville’s Highlands district, told Louisville station WAVE she would introduce a bill in the Assembly that would severely restrict civilian usage of state and federal roads for the duration of the Allied-Soviet conflict—

—“Frankfort is all hot air and bull shit.”—

—gasoline is up 25 cents in Lexington since the war started yesterday—

—spokesmen for Standiford Field deny the government will ban civilian flights beginning at midnight—

—the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority will not go along with the Metropolitan Council’s recommendation to restrict civilian traffic to essential use. That will be up to individual airlines and ultimately the FAA, sources told the Tennessean. The Tennessee National Guard will—

—UK will not charter a plane, citing possible restrictions on civilian air traffic in the Nashville area. Instead, the Wildcats will charter a bus, which will leave around 7:30 a.m. this morning from the University—

—the U of L men’s and women’s teams had to double up on rooms last night. The Ramada Inn’s nearly full at this hour, and only some are here for the Louisville-Western doubleheader this afternoon. Most are in town from the Nashville, Hopkinsville and Clarksville areas, looking for a place to wait out the conflict—

THE FOLLOWING POPULATION CENTERS, MILITARY BASES AND OTHER ASSETS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE TARGETS BY THE SOVIET UNION AND WARSAW PACT DURING A NUCLEAR EXCHANGE. THEY ARE LISTED BY PRIMARY, SECONDARY AND TERTIARY

PRIMARY
Louisville, downtown
Fort Campbell
Fort Knox
Richmond, U.S. Army Depot

SECONDARY
Frankfort, State Capitol
Hebron, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
Lake Barkley, Barkley Dam
Louisville, Standiford Field/Ford plant
Louisville, Ford plant, near Standiford Field
Lexington, downtown
Lexington, Blue Grass Field
Paducah, atomic enrichment plant

TERTIARY
Ashland
Bowling Green
Burlington, National Guard Readiness Center
Covington
Drakesboro, Paradise Fossil Plant
Greenville, Wendell H. Ford Training Center/Kentucky National Guard
Louisville, Naval Ordinance
Louisville, Ford truck plant, St. Matthews
Henderson
Owensboro/Elmer Smith Power Station
Pikeville

—WILLIAM G. WELLMAN, MAJ. GENERAL, KYNG
THE ADJUTANT GENERAL

Last edited:
It's 19th, not 21st--good update, though...

On a side note, I (and a lot of others here, I'm sure) are probably glad this TL never came to pass...

Hoping your other TL gets updated soon...

Last edited:
It's 19th, not 21st--good update, though...

On a side note, I (and a lot of others here, I'm sure) are probably glad this TL never came to pass...

Hoping your other TL gets updated soon...
Fixed.

I'm working on the other TL, too...

Protect and Survive spawned off its own universe. Most of the storylines were started soon after the original, some (like mine) came recently. Here's a rough guide to the P&SVerse:

Protect and Survive: by @Macragge1, the OG of the P&SVerse, and in my opinion one of the greatest timelines in the history of this forum. A 2011 Turtledove winner

Land of Flatwater: by @Chipperback , set in Nebraska before and after the Exchange, it follows several characters, most notably a young Black boy who has to grow up and find love during hard times...and a grizzled Black federal agent trying to end a psychopath in the midst of the apocalypse.

We Served the Soviet Union, by @Panzerfaust 150 , focuses on interviews of USSR soldiers stranded in the U.S. after the Exchange.

There Won't Be Any Illuminations, by @Will Ritson, takes place in the author's native region of Lancashire, England.

Duck and Cover: by @Gen_Patton, the first American spinoff.

There Is No Depression: by @Tsar of New Zealand , set in the author's native New Zealand.

The Day After: another U.S. based spinoff by @Gen_Patton, incorporating elements of the famous 1983 movie.

Noi non ci saremo: by @Mario Rossi , set in the author's native Italy. It has the distinction of being the first-ever spinoff in the P&SVerse.

The Land of Sad Songs: by @DrakonFin , set in the author's native Finland.

The Last Flight of XM594: by @Bernard Woolley , focusing on an RAF Avro Bomber crew during the Exchange.

P&S: No Rest for the Wicked: by @Agentdark , mercenaries in Africa during WW III.

Don't Turn Your Back on the Wolfpack: by @stalkere, life in western New York after the bombs hit Buffalo and other nearby targets.

When the Wind Blew: A P&S Open Thread: post your ideas and proposals here!

Protect and Survive Miami: End of Watch: by @wolverinethad , the war comes to the Sunshine State.

Pro Aris et Pro Focus: by @GAB-1955, focuses on a New York National Guard division in New York City - and New Yorkers who find refuge outside of it - during the build up to The Exchange.

That Damned Bridge: by @Top hats daily, set in Minnesota.

Northern Wind: by @JoHansen, set in the author's native Norway.

P&S Question: What would become of music? By @Emperor Norton I is an older thread that tackles the question of how pop music would evolve in a post-Exchange world.

The Journey: by @Bernard Woolley , is a short story set in Scotland in 2007.

P&S: Report on Germany, by @Hörnla, is a series of reports written by a Swiss military draftee during the war, posted to a 2010s newsgroup by the writer's nephew.

Protect and Survive (Ireland), by @Wolf_Tone, is set in the author's native Ireland.

The Fighting Illini, by @Zoom, set in central Illinois.

Shelter from the Storm, by @GeneralPaul, set in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

(Note to the reader: this post is a work in progress. I will fill it out over the next day)
You left out "Ashes of the Dragon: A Protect and Survive Tale" set in mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong/Macau. Link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...the-dragon-a-protect-and-survive-tale.350043/

For reference, here are the governors of the states neighboring Kentucky in 1984:

Illinois - Jim Thompson (R)
Indiana - Robert Orr (R)
Missouri - Kit Bond (R)
Ohio - Dick Celeste (D)
Tennessee - Lamar Alexander (R)
Virginia - Chuck Robb (D)
West Virginia - Jay Rockefeller (D)

For reference, here are the governors of the states neighboring Kentucky in 1984:

Illinois - Jim Thompson (R)
Indiana - Robert Orr (R)
Missouri - Kit Bond (R)
Ohio - Dick Celeste (D)
Tennessee - Lamar Alexander (R)
Virginia - Chuck Robb (D)
West Virginia - Jay Rockefeller (D)
Thanks!

The Virginia story has the state government relocating to the Blue Ridge Mountains, so it's possible the emergency Kentucky state government will make contact with them first. I don't remember where Illinois went -- I'm catching up on all the P&S storylines -- but no one touched on the other states that I'm aware of.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on where those state governments might have gone? Here are mine:

INDIANA -- Kokomo in the north (easy access to Lafayette and Muncie, both host to major universities if the Soviets didn't knock them out) or Columbus in the south (easy access to Indiana University in Bloomington).
MISSOURI -- five possibilities: 1) Hannibal, north of St. Louis, near Quincy, Illinois 2) Columbia, home of the University of Missouri 3) Rolla 4) Cape Girardeau, home of Southeast Missouri State 5) Branson
OHIO -- Athens in the south (home to Ohio University) or Cambridge (where Interstates 70 and 77 intersect)
TENNESSEE -- 1) Portland, close to the Kentucky state line and to the southern Kentucky emergency capitol of Bowling Green (I'll talk more about that in a future post) 2) Murfreesboro, close enough to former Nashville and home of Middle Tennessee State University 3) Cookeville, home of Tennessee Tech University and on Interstate 40, midway between Nashville and Knoxville 4) Jackson, in western Tennessee, between Memphis and Nashville 5) Bristol/Johnson City/Kingsport, in far eastern Tennessee, likely one of the largest metropolitan areas in the South still standing 6) Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, in the eastern Tennessee mountains
WEST VIRGINIA -- Beckley? Parkersburg? I'm considering doing what the creator of the VIrginian Republic did on the 1983: Doomsday alt wiki and have Charleston survive, or have the bomb miss Huntington/Ashland (Ky.) and put the emergency government up at Marshall University.

--the Governor is also expected to discuss her proposal to split the government up into regions, based on a plan that no one in Frankfort other than the Governor has acknowledged, much less explained. I asked Senator David Karem if he could comment at all on the plan:
Sen. David Karem, D-Louisville: I can't comment on that...actually, here's what I will say: anything that involves continuity of government has to go along with the state constitution and it cannot put power into the hands of one branch and away from the other two branches. The Senate certainly supports Governor Collins wholeheartedly and I am sure the House does as well, but we cannot allow emergencies to keep us from following the constitution of this Commonwealth and that includes how to run the state.
I spoke to other senators and representatives but no one would go on the record discussing the proposal. Governor Collins's Emergency State of the Commonwealth address is scheduled for 9 p.m. Eastern time tonight. Reporting from Frankfort, Dave Nakdimen, WAVE-3 News.

The Fighting Illini thread suggests the Missouri emergency government, at least initially, stayed in the official capitol of Jefferson City. It also implies the Indiana state government was mostly split between Indianapolis (why?) and Terre Haute (again, why, unless the thought was the city wouldn't be hit). The fact the Lieutenant Governor was not in either place implies the emergency plan was to split the executive and the cabinet into different parts of the state, or the Lt. Gov. hightailed it out of town just ahead of the bombs hitting the state.

As far as the Illini thread suggesting Louisville, Lexington and Paducah were hit and Frankfort was rumored to be hit.
You can say bye bye to two of those places for sure :cryingface:
The other two? I have a plan...:evilsmile:

5. Chapter 2
Chapter 2

Lexington, Kentucky
7:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time

The Reporter stepped into the bus, carrying his gear, and walked all the way to the back, noticing the looks of anticipation, anxiety, concern and stoicism on the faces of the players, coaches and others who were part of the University of Kentucky men’s and women’s basketball teams.

UK was driving, not flying, down to Nashville this day, partly because the athletic department couldn’t secure a plane big enough for both parties, partly for security reasons. It was a lot easier for the Kentucky State Police (KSP) and Kentucky National Guard (KYNG) to follow the bus than to get two airplanes to accompany a jet.

Civilian flights were still taking off from Blue Grass Field, the city’s main airport, but the KYNG was also using it as a staging area. The general consensus by the Adjutant General and commanding leaders of the KYNG is that when the balloon went up, the odds were good Lexington would get hit, so the KYNG was quietly, and gradually, moving its assets around the state. Every available civilian jet was being commandeered, so to speak, for post-bomb use and being flown to safer areas.

That left UK out in the cold, as least as far as flight was concerned. A charter bus, however, was available.

The Reporter made himself look casual, like he was just relaxing in the back, but he was taking careful note of how everyone else was doing.

When fans stood outside Memorial Coliseum and chanted GO BIG BLUE!, he took note.

When a semi truck blew its horn, he took note.

When he saw miles and miles of nothing, he took note.

When the bus drove past people on the side of the highway flying giant American flags and showing giant anti-Soviet signs, he took note.

When the bus slowed down just over a half-hour later outside of the Bardstown exit, he took note, and got up, walked to the front of the bus and, standing next to the men’s and women’s coaches, saw for himself:

A jeep, almost definitely from nearby Fort Knox, had caught fire.

The Reporter heard the distant sounds of an ambulance, then of a fire truck, and a police car.

7:07 a.m. Central Standard Time
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Ramada Inn

The Beat Writer leaned over the hotel room bed and kissed his wife on the cheek. “You sleep good, baby?”, he said as she stirred and woke up.

“Mmm hmmm,” she replied. Their two daughters took up the rest of the bed. Their son slept on the couch. He slept on the floor. “You?”

“Hard floors are fantastic for your back,” he joked. “You oughta try it.”

“Nope. Then I’ll get cranky,” she joked back, getting out of the bed. “You have your clothes ready?”

“Yeah.”

“Your best shirt?”

“The one you picked out at Stewart’s?”

“That one. If it’s your last game for a while, I want you looking your best.”

The Beat Writer certainly cared about his appearance, but didn’t care too much about being fashionable; his wife, on the other hand, did.

“I’m serious,” she said. “People will be watching.”

“People watch U of L play every game,” he said. “They’re watching the players. If they’re not, they’re looking at Denny or at the officials. They don’t care about the guy from the newspaper.”

“Well, I do, and you’re wearing that shirt,” the wife said, standing up in her Louisville sweatshirt and sweatpants. “Get in there, get dressed, and I’ll get the kids up.”

As the Beat Writer walked into the bathroom with his clothes, he realized he hadn’t thought about the war yet. It, up to this point, was just like any other normal day.

The normal days, he thought, were gone for a long, long, long while.

FYI - when describing the post-Exchange situation in the surrounding states, I'm going to take some creative liberties and fill in the gaps where the original authors left off. I'll stick as close to their storylines as possible. If any of the other authors of the various P&S threads want to shoot me a PM and give me some ideas, I'm up for it!

Have you seen the movie “The Day After”? I watched it on YouTube on November 20, 2023 to mark its 40-year anniversary. Anyway, there’s a scene that shows fans at a football game as the missiles are launched. Having read your timeline, that scene bothers me somewhat, because - if your material is anything to go by - the games would have been put on hold well before the nukes fly.

By the way, here’s a link to the movie on YouTube - the football stadium scene is at the 53-minute mark.

Last edited: