I think that a dictatorship lead by Lord Mountbatten could actually be much better than people speculate but we will never know, all we shall have are hypothyisis

Coming Soon:

A Very British Transition

After nearly 40 years of military rule, the First Lord is dead, the Junta has fallen, the United Kingdom faces an uncertain future. With a divided public, threats of political violence and an agitated military whoever takes over will have a mountain to climb. For the first time since 1966 the British public goes to the polls, the results of this election will set the stage for a new decade of British democracy.

(Infobox Presented Without Comment)

View attachment 655543
Holy crap! I’m surprised, pleasantly surprised! First a beautiful, magnificently detailed British TL, and then an other masterpiece after only two months? That’s awesome! Powerab, you had my respect but now you have my admiration too! Hoping to read soon and more about it!

PS I remember that the main comparison for this TL was Franco’s Spain so maybe the Scottish political activism could be a parallel of the Catalan one.

Holy crap! I’m surprised, pleasantly surprised! First a beautiful, magnificently detailed British TL, and then an other masterpiece after only two months? That’s awesome! Powerab, you had my respect but now you have my admiration too! Hoping to read soon and more about it!

PS I remember that the main comparison for this TL was Franco’s Spain so maybe the Scottish political activism could be a parallel of the Catalan one.
Good point with your last paragraph - though the relative health of the languages makes it a little tricky - I hope the UK's response is nicer than Spain's

On This Day in the Commonwealth (I)
Hi folks.

As last week would be the in-universe election day, I've drafted up a few news extracts to show what politics had been like in the Commonwealth over the last four years
- Powerab
Harriet-Harman_3333212b.jpg

BREAKING: Vice President Harriet Harman not to run for third term

BBC News, 8th January 2023

Vice President Harriet Harman has announced she will stand down at the next general election.

She revealed her decision in an email to Labour supporters on Wednesday morning after 40 years in politics She promised to work until the Presidential Election in 2024

But Vice President Harman said she would then leave Clarence House "confident that Britain is gaining strength." Westminster Mayor Karen Buck called her a "guiding light for women", while Senator Tracey Brabin, called her a "glass ceiling smasher".

The 72-year-old became an MP in 1982 and has held a raft of posts before becoming Vice President - including as Mayor of Southwark. She served as Vice President to Ed Miliband, but is better known for her feminist campaigning. She is the woman with the longest continuous service in British politics.

In her email, Ms Harman said when she entered Parliament, she was one of 11 female Labour MPs in a Commons that was 97% male. "Now there are 98 Labour women and across all parties women MPs are a 'critical mass'," she added.

"But there remains much more to be done till women share political power with men on equal terms and until women in this country are equal. I will leave the House of Commons with my feminism, my belief in Labour and my enthusiasm for politics undimmed."

As well as fighting 16 elections, she has served under seven prime ministers and three Presidents. She has spoken publicly 98,000 times since November 1982. And she became a mother of three and grandmother to five.

MPs have been paying tribute to Ms Harman, with London Senator Wes Streeting calling her a "trail-blazer and change-maker". Her party colleague West Midlands Senator Jess Philips said: "All my life Harriet has been in politics. As a woman that life would have been very different if she hadn't. Harriet Harman is my hero. I owe her a debt so big it cannot be repaid."

The East Midland’s Liz Kendall added: "Harriet Harman has inspired so many of us in politics, and has blazed a trail for women and equality. Parliament won't be the same without her but we will keep fighting the good fight!"

With Ed Miliband due to be nominated unopposed at the party Conference in London later this year all eyes are on the newly opened VP race. President Miliband began the process of selecting a running mate this morning, releasing the names who will lead his search for a veep. Miliband has said his running mate “likely” be a woman.

Miliband's team have stressed he's unlikely to select someone until after legislative elections in May.

Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Senator Janet Daby, MP Bella Sankey and Tim Livesey, a top aide, will lead the search over the coming months.

"Selecting a vice presidential candidate is one of the most important decisions in a presidential campaign. No one knows this more than Ed Miliband", campaign manager Annelisse Midgley said in a statement. "These four co-chairs reflect the strength of our party, and will provide tremendous insight to a rigorous selection. We are grateful for their service to the campaign and for their leadership."

The team will also include what's described as "a network of vetting teams" working under National Security Advisor Dan Jarvis.

Miliband’s hint he would pick a woman as his running mate intensified speculation since his path to the Labour nomination became clear. Several potential candidates have addressed the prospect in interviews in recent weeks.

When asked whether she would accept an offer to be Miliband's running mate, former DWP Secretary Angela Ratner said "I'd be honoured to serve with Ed."

Opposition Leader Rachel Reeves has also been floated and would be one of the most dramatic choices for Miliband. Miliband and Reeves have not seen eye to eye on many issues — notably clashing on spending policy, though Miliband has since endorsed Reeves's fiscal rules.

Reeves is also sceptical of the Green Marshall Plan, a key progressive policy priority that Miliband has championed. As a running mate, Reeves has the potential to bring in more moderate voters who may be wary of Miliband's record as a radical. Reeves said on the BBC that she would “be open” to serving as Miliband's running mate.

London Senator David Lammy is another possible contender. Lammy is seen as someone who could boost voter turnout, especially considering how high he placed in Labour’s open list in 2019 despite not being an incumbent. Lammy has focused on addressing voter turnout through Operation Black Vote since. One of Lammys' biggest potential drawbacks is that she does not have any governing experience

Lammy has been the most vocal about his interest in being Miliband's running mate over the past weeks. "I would be an excellent running mate," Lammy first said in an interview with the Economist published earlier this month.

Yorkshire Premier Yvette Cooper has become one of the most frequently mentioned picks because of her rising profile governing a province at the centre of the COVID-19 pandemic. In her 2019 race, Cooper won in nine boroughs that voted for Theresa May on the same day. Cooper was also one of the final three in Miliband’s original 2014 shortlist.

When asked about the prospect of being Miliband's running mate, Cooper told Radio Four that she's focusing on her current role, but leaving the door open. "It's flattering to be considered among a massive group of leaders across the nation," she said.

Conversations about representation in the Labour Party have become more frequent in recent years. Many in the party have called on Miliband to choose a working class woman for the ticket.

Several other Labour names have been rumoured as potential picks for Miliband, including West Midlands Senators Pat McFadden and Shabana Mahmood, as well as former Justice Secretary John Healey.

Last edited: