TLIAW: Who Governs?

An interesting choice to be sure! Not really one I'm even remotely familiar with but definitely a unique choice. Also President Lujan drew a smirk from me, fun choice. God the realization of who Renshaw was and his relative success is...ugh.

I was honestly surprised by how sympathetic I found myself towards him. Perhaps that is relative to the fact that I couldn't find any glaring successes nor failures while looking him up. In fact if anything it makes the swaggering retreating figure of his predecessor feel even worse!

Can't wait to see who the last man (for now) standing is! Can't believe this is nearly over, it seems too quick!

Hines sounds like he would have been a good, even great PM in much more stable times.

Let’s hope the Kabour PM is able to run a more stable country.

RIP Queen Elizabeth.
I wanted to try and write Hinds as a bit better of a person/man than some of the others, and glad to see it got through.

God save the (Millennial) Queen
And a good few years before OTL's millennial king can take that win for that generation.

An interesting choice to be sure! Not really one I'm even remotely familiar with but definitely a unique choice. Also President Lujan drew a smirk from me, fun choice. God the realization of who Renshaw was and his relative success is...ugh.

I was honestly surprised by how sympathetic I found myself towards him. Perhaps that is relative to the fact that I couldn't find any glaring successes nor failures while looking him up. In fact if anything it makes the swaggering retreating figure of his predecessor feel even worse!

Can't wait to see who the last man (for now) standing is! Can't believe this is nearly over, it seems too quick!
Hinds just worked as someone who was obscure even, capable enough and politically fit in with the ideological trend which the right in TL had gone into (i.e. socially conservative but not "anti-woke" and religious/moral but not in a preachy way)

And with the next update, we've reached the incumbent and the final entry.

Thank you and glad it seems quick at least. I feel it's taken ages for me, but that is more because I've had a lot of the these ideas floating around for years, especially one's regarding the next PM.

Well written at a good clip! Well done!

Thanks and I will admit, this TL has had slightly spotty updates and the every weekend thing was hilariously wrong, but the end is in sight and will be here sooner rather than later.

It astounds me that the Conservatives could go from loss to loss and still retain the Prime Ministership for so long.

I’m not very informed on British politics, so is this TL’s PM a significant break from OTL or is it largely following the same patterns as OTL in terms of policies and the like?

I thought we were talking about the TL here, not OTL
I was talking about this TL as there have been three Tory PMs in 14 years despite scandals and a lethargic economy. I then asked how does this TL relate to OTL due to my lack of knowledge of a British politics. Like are the politics of this TL’s PMs the same or vastly different to OTL PMs.

I was talking about this TL as there have been three Tory PMs in 14 years despite scandals and a lethargic economy. I then asked how does this TL relate to OTL due to my lack of knowledge of a British politics. Like are the politics of this TL’s PMs the same or vastly different to OTL PMs.
I understood the question, I was joking mate

It astounds me that the Conservatives could go from loss to loss and still retain the Prime Ministership for so long.

I’m not very informed on British politics, so is this TL’s PM a significant break from OTL or is it largely following the same patterns as OTL in terms of policies and the like?
A complete coincidence but in this TL the Tories have been in power for as long as they have in OTL.

I’d say British politics isn’t unrecognisable to OTL (long term political trends i.e. populism, distrust and failure of neo-liberalism, reaction to the end of history are still there) but it follows Ted Heath’s vision for Britain, rather than Thatcher’s.

Also speaking as someone in Britain and who has to follow British politics, this version of the Tory party is far more stable than our version.

Ayesha Hazarika (Labour) 2023-
wCE9gNx.png

Ayesha Hazarika (Labour) 2023-
This amazing experiment will either be a triumph or take us to the brink. Only time will tell.
Reaching present day and the incumbent Prime Minister, Ayesha Hazarika is still a work in progress on her entry in this series. Some clues to how it will be written can be found in her past and what she’s done for the nearly a year she’s been in post, but take it all with a pinch of salt, and with the expectation that things will change.

Ayesha Hazarika was born in Bellshill, Scotland, the second child of immigrants of Indian Muslim descent. Describing her father as having come to Britain with only the clichéd £3 in his back pocket, he worked hard for his family, as a GP as did her mother, a local government official.

Like many other second-generation immigrants, Hazarika often recounts stories of her father and mother’s integration into British culture and the lessons that they taught her and her brother. Through writing columns and articles on everyday household items before school, to training away their familial accent, to reciting Cabinet Ministers in a clunker car while driving to the north of Scotland on holiday, Hazarika would be introduced to politics and journalism at a young age.

Despite such efforts, Hazarika would still be subjected to racism and loneliness, being the only brown girl in her private all-girls school. Yet turning such rejection into rebellion. Hazarika would become “gobby” and pick up her sharp and stinging humour which would define much of her future career.

Yet, Hazarika’s career choices, as in many immigrants’ family became a source of tension, all the way up to her election as Labour leader, and even then she remained the butt of family jokes in comparison to her brother, a surgeon.

She’d work hard though, getting into Hull University, studying law, just as the protest movement against the Secure Streets and Borders Act crested and the nation ramped up for the 1994 election. Deeply affected by the horrific scenes caused by the Kashmir War, the demonization of refugees from India and Pakistan, and the Conservative dog-whistle tactics employed with the Secure Streets and Borders Act, saw Hazarika become a committed Labour Party member and activist. As such, her first ever vote was in the 1994 election for Labour MP Kevin McNamara and after having canvassing with many of her fellow students in the election.

As Jay became Prime Minister, Hazarika continued her studies, yet found her course unappealing and uninteresting, at least compared to her experience in politics. As such, she moved to London, and got her master’s in politics and communications. Then, sharing an experience which many post-grads have, Hazarika struggled for many months in London, unemployed and without entry into the world of politics.

Finally, though, Hazarika landed a job as a Press Officer in the Cabinet Office, working under a succession of Labour special advisors and ministers. The job though was not she expected. And so, by day, Hazarika would be a civil servant, but by night, she would be a stand-up comedian. Hazarika would perform gigs across the country, would study with Rhod Gilbert and even appearing on ITN’s “You’ve Got It”, in 2003, getting to the quarter final.

Yet, such work would not be her future, and in 2004, as Labour was changing leader, Hazarika would be noticed by Labour Party grandee Harriet Harman. Taking a new job in the Labour party machinery, Hazarika would finally be professionally and personally fulfilled. Pioneering many of the tactics used in the 2004 election campaign, co-ordinating the women’s outreach. She would also work closely with other Labour special advisors (soon to be ‘future stars’ of the party), such as Torsten Bell and Andrew Harrop and would gain allies in her time.

After Hain’s re-election, Hazarika would continue to work her way up, and while not striking fear (at least compared to contemporaries like Mitchell’s campaign manager Lachlan Murdoch), but through determination and well deployed self-depreciating wit. Leading on core aspects of Labour policy, trying to successfully implement the childcare provisions pushed by Hain to reluctant groups (including those in BAME backgrounds) saw her gain critical political experience and set her up for future office.

An interesting coincidence and one which many political analysts have made light of is the similarity of Hazarika and her predecessor, Tim Montgomerie’s, respective journeys through their political parties, up to the point where they joined Parliament. Both were party insiders, who came in from the outside, who worked hard, had incredible political acumen and common decency to get to where they wanted to go.

Yet, Hazarika always harboured greater ambitions. Thus, being able to leverage connections made and her own talents, Hazarika ran and won for the seat of Midlothian in 2009, entered Parliament as Labour was thrown out. A bitter-sweet moment for Hazarika, who lamented the policies of Mitchell, she brushed herself off, and got to work to get Labour back into power.

Joining Irranca-Davies’ Shadow Cabinet as Minister for Culture, Hazarika would prove an especially effective communicator for the party, and was often deployed on night-time telly, such as That Was the Week That Was and Sandi Toksvig’s Have I Got News for You, to woo over younger and more politically averse demographics.

Hazarika would also become a vocal critic of the Pakistan and Afghanistan interventions, speaking out against the loss of life caused by the entanglements, appearing at many anti-war marches, and burnishing her credentials with the activist left. While Irranca-Davies avoided the issue (with the accusations of him being ‘weak’ naturally following), Hazarika was on the record as being against, a feather in the cap for the future.

And as Labour went down in defeat in 2013, Labour was left scrambling. Hazarika chose to back and support her closest political friend Gloria Del Piero, for leader. Given the job of running Del Piero’s ultimately unsuccessful campaign, Hazarika would often be the mediator between Del Piero’s more right-wing views on immigration, welfare and the economy, to the left-wing union and member base.

Publicly supportive, if privately sceptical, of John Cryer’s leadership, Hazarika would see herself continue climbing the shadow cabinet ranks, culminating with her becoming Shadow Home Secretary and playing a key role in holding Stephen Crabb accountable, and adding just enough pressure to force his resignation, the first major blow to the Montgomerie government. As Cryer swung the manifesto to the left, Hazarika would dutifully campaign up and down the country for Cryer and for that manifesto and was easily one of the more recognisable and popular surrogates for Labour.

Of course, Cryer’s defeat in 2018 seemed to repudiate much of his political agenda and as former Labour seats in the North fell to the Montgomerie wave, destroyed a lot of the party’s credibility. Del Piero, an internal critic of Cryer, was thought of as a potential successor until her razor-thin shock defeat in Rother Valley. Del Piero, the night of her defeat, called Hazarika and told her to stand for the leadership. Hazarika, heart-broken by the loss of many of her colleagues, said yes.

Running against the left’s Jennie Formby, and the right’s Chris Leslie, Hazarika offered a compelling middle-ground, the so-called “New Day” approach offering progressive policies tinged with radicalism. Abolition of the much-loathed graduate tax, commitment to decarbonizing investments in the sovereign wealth fund, a national “levelling up” bank and a legally binding “Use of Force” law to consult parliament on military action, were cornerstones of her campaign. Winning the support from a diverse range of party figures from all wings, Formby’s union links, which had once seemed insurmountable, were far less imposing. Most Labour members recognised that Labour needed to move to the centre if they were to get back into power, something which Hazarika leaned on.

7czepYb.png

Winning the leadership election, Hazarika quickly moved to shuffle the Shadow Cabinet. Encompassing the broad strokes of the Labour Party, positions were made open for Chris Huhne, to Mark Serwotka, to Ash Sarkar, and all mixture of ideologies and personalities in-between.

The big beasts, however, were some of Hazarika’s closest confidants and political allies. Shadow Chancellor was given to Torsten Bell, a veteran of Hazarika’s early career in Labour HQ. Shadow Home Secretary was Claude Moraes, who had deputized for Hazarika when in Shadow Cabinet. Shadow Foreign Secretary went to Ellie Reeves, the wife of former leader John Cryer, herself an impressive figure in the party, which did a lot to ease the left-wing’s discontent in Formby’s defeat and getting frozen out of the Cabinet.

Managing the Labour Party was half the job, but the rest of Hazarika’s time in opposition was well spent. Proving an able and capable performer at PMQs, working, and developing policy and delicately balancing the wings of the party, all boosted Labour’s poll ratings and internal cohesion. And perhaps for the first time since 2000, the Labour party was ready for an election.

And as the Conservatives hit problem after problem, with Montgomerie falling into scandal and combusting with Floringate, and then Hinds who had to piece back what was left, Hazarika went from strength to strength. Labour seemed to offer a, by comparison, credible alternative.

Surfers and enetpreneurs also began to boost Labour, with a series of tsunami campaigns, with multiple clips and shots reposted on ConnectU and on the surf, waved on by thousands of first-time voters. Such clips were often focused on Hazarika, mostly of her from her gigging days and of her humour and self-deprecating monologues. Not all of it was positive though. It was personally hard for Hazarika to ignore the multitude of gremlins who spouted Islamophobic and racist slurs, especially considering the need for added security from such threats.

And as she barnstormed the country, polls showed that voters, rather liked what Ayesha Hazarika was offering. All the factors above (and principally not being the Conservative Party) were enough to give Labour a massive opportunity. And as Hinds tripped up on the campaign trail, by listening to ideological spin doctors, Hazarika, a former public relations guru, sold her vision for Britain.

IJ2VMuH.png

And so, as Labour surged across the country, Hazarika became Britain’s first non-white, first Muslim and second female Prime Minister. It was a historic milestone for the nation, and one which Hazarika felt profoundly proud to represent, the child of immigrants from a deprived part of Scotland to the country’s most famous address and as Prime Minister. Hazarika took to the podium and spoke about the challenges that faced Britain, the possibilities to be embraced and the promises of renewal.

The first 100 days was a flurry of activity, with Labour using the instruments of state, ministerial powers, and the vast web of government levers to implement their policies. Hiking the minimum wage, putting into books ambitious environmental legislation promising net zero emissions by 2040 and making election day a public holiday were early wins for the government.

xwp6pkd.png

Yet this optimistic spirit which carried Hazarika to power and defined her early tenure has faded as problems and challenges mount. Perhaps the biggest damper to this spirit has been the series of university campus nail bombings, orchestrated by the far-right Centurions terror group, which has killed 6 and has injured hundreds. As Home Secretary Moraes has been forced to use the litany of powers introduced by the Emergencies Act (despite his own reservation and Labour’s promise to scrap the bill), it’s a big U-turn on civil and human rights, in the face of terrorism.

Meanwhile, as the (Abolition) of the House of Lords bill is stuck between the Commons and the Lords, Labour’s domestic agenda has also been punitively targeted by a belligerent Lords, seeking retribution.

And as the Conservatives under their new leader John Glen, seem to be returning to the politically disruptive (but popular) Montgomerie ways, and as Kate MacLennan’s Scottish Independence Party goes from strength to strength and seems set to sweep the 2024 Scottish Assembly Party election political threat remains. On top of that, with UCP about to hold a dramatic conference which seems to finalize the split between the British and Irish unionists, politics keeps moving fast and there’s nothing worse than a government left behind the times.

It also remains that Hazarika will have her first true electoral test with the upcoming European Parliament election. And as Green parties across Europe poll higher and higher (German Chancellor Fritz Kuhn is the posterchild of their recent success), it finally seems as if green issues will be front-and-centre of the political debate, and it remains to be seen whether Hazarika can harness this energy.

In one of her skits, at the newly inaugurated Westminster Correspondents Dinner, Hazarika went off on a tangent. Whether it was a product of her upbringing, or her personality, or her racial and gender identity, Hazarika admitted that she never thought she would get a seat at the table.

Now she’s at that table, and what she didn’t need to say, is that she’s going to make sure anyone else can get a seat there too. But she’s not done yet.

-END-

Last edited:
To be honest I've not got really too much to say on this final one, other than it's the perfect capstone to this whole timeline. Part of it is the fact that again, this is someone I've no real connection too (which arguably makes it all the more interesting!). I will say that I did get briefly baffled by how the director of For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy got to be the leader of the Tory party. I'm only half joking, by the by, but thing seem to be at an interesting point right now.

To reiterate, great stuff and I can't wait to see what you've got in the tank next!

Ayesha Hazarika sounds like the sort of person ITTL me might vote for, he would like policies such as "making election day a public holiday" but not "Abolition of the House of Lords" since the Second Chamber provides a very useful sounding board among other things.

12.3% swing to Labour is quite impressive too.

Hopefully PM Hazarika will be able to get a grip on the troubles in the UK.

Great timeline!

To be honest I've not got really too much to say on this final one, other than it's the perfect capstone to this whole timeline. Part of it is the fact that again, this is someone I've no real connection too (which arguably makes it all the more interesting!). I will say that I did get briefly baffled by how the director of For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy got to be the leader of the Tory party. I'm only half joking, by the by, but thing seem to be at an interesting point right now.

To reiterate, great stuff and I can't wait to see what you've got in the tank next!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the TL and some of the more out there choices for leaders.

Nah it’s just some copy and paste generic Tory leader.

Ayesha Hazarika sounds like the sort of person ITTL me might vote for, he would like policies such as "making election day a public holiday" but not "Abolition of the House of Lords" since the Second Chamber provides a very useful sounding board among other things.

12.3% swing to Labour is quite impressive too.

Hopefully PM Hazarika will be able to get a grip on the troubles in the UK.

Great timeline!
Thanks. Hazarika is a pretty competent media performer and seemed like a woman who could’ve gone far in Labour if she had a bit more of a push to become a leader.
Well, regarding the Lords, there’s no point of an elected second chamber (as it can stop the government agenda) and an appointed chamber still leads to un democratic and unaccountable chamber.

Large swing to Labour from Conservative and Centre switchers (Centre has collapsed to only 6 seats).

Hazarika got her work cut out for her, that’s for sure, but I’m an optimist so she might be able to do it.

Fantastic TL. Really enjoyed the changes and your list of British PMs. Could you do a follow-up with other world leaders in this TL?
I’m planning to do a post-script on certain countries (like Scotland, Wales, America, France etc) but probably not a full on TL.

What exactly happened?
A pseudo-9/11 based on this planned attack.

Post-Script - Leaders' List
Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom
1970-1977:
Edward Heath (Conservative)
1970: Harold Wilson (Labour), Jeremy Thorpe (Liberal)
1974: Harold Wilson (Labour), Jeremy Thorpe (Liberal)

1977-1982: Francis Pym (Conservative)
1978: Peter Shore (Labour), William Wolfe (SNP), David Steel defeated (Liberal)
1982-1983: William Whitelaw (Conservative)
1983-1985:
Roy Hattersley (Labour)
1983 (Min.): William Whitelaw (Conservative), John Taylor (UUP), Margo MacDonald (SNP)
1985-1992: Geoffrey Howe (Conservative)
1985: Roy Hattersley (Labour), Margo MacDonald (SNP)
1989: Bryan Gould (Labour), John Taylor | Neil Hamilton (UUP | NCP)

1992-1994: Leon Brittan (Conservative)
1994-2004:
Margaret Jay (Labour)
1994 (Min.): Leon Brittan (Conservative), William Ross | Neil Hamilton (UUP | NCP), Margaret Ewing (SNP), Sara Parkin (Green)
1996: Michael Heseltine (Conservative), Ian Paisley (UCP), Margaret Ewing (SNP)
1998 Florin Referendum: Yes 52.66%, No 47.34%
2000: Edwina Currie (Conservative), Ann Widdecombe (UCP), Margaret Ewing (SNP)

2004-2009: Peter Hain (Labour)
2004: Liam Fox (Conservative), Peter Robinson (UCP)
2009-2017: Andrew Mitchell (Conservative)
2009: Peter Hain (Labour), Peter Robinson (UCP)
2013: Huw Irranca-Davies (Labour), Douglas Carswell (UCP), Angus Robertson (SNP)

2017-2020: Tim Montgomerie (Conservative)
2018: John Cryer (Labour), Matthew Elliott (UCP), Alan Sugar (Centre), Angus Robertson (SNP), Natalie Bennett (Green)
2020-2023: Damian Hinds (Conservative)
2023-xxxx:
Ayesha Hazarika (Labour)
2023: Damian Hinds (Conservative), Tom Harwood (UCP), Dale Vince (Green)

First Minister of Scotland
1985-1989:
Margo MacDonald (SNP)
1985: John Smith (Labour), Malcolm Rifkind (Conservative)
1989-1997: George Robertson (Labour)
1989: Margo MacDonald (SNP), Malcolm Rifkind (Conservative)
1993: Margaret Ewing (SNP), Brian Meek (Conservative)

1997-2001: Margaret Ewing (SNP)
1997: George Robertson (Labour), Alex Fergusson (Conservative)
2001-2005: Malcolm Chisholm (Labour)
: Margaret Ewing (SNP), Alex Fergusson (Conservative), Robin Harper (Green), Alex Salmond (The Group)
2005-2009: Angus Robertson (SNP)
2005 (Coal.): Malcolm Chisholm (Labour), Alex Fergusson (Conservative), Alex Salmond (The Group), Robin Harper | Eleanor Scott (Green)
2009-2021: Tommy Sheppard (Labour)
2009: Angus Robertson (SNP), Ben Wallace (Conservative), Alison Johnstone (Green)
2013 (Min.): Angus Robertson (SNP), Jeremy Purvis (Conservative), Alison Johnstone (Green), various (United Independents)
2016 (Coal.): Angus Robertson (SNP), Jeremy Purvis (Conservative), Alison Johnstone (Green), various (United Independents)
2020: John Swinney (SNP), Jamie Greene (Conservative), various (United Independents)

2021-xxxx: Paul Sweeney (Labour)

First Secretary of Wales
1995-2003: Ann Clwyd (Labour)

1995: Dafydd Wigley (Plaid Cymru), David TC Davies (Conservative)
1999: Dafydd Wigley (Plaid Cymru), David TC Davies (Conservative)

2003-2011: Euan Wyn Jones (Plaid Cymru)
2003 (Coal.): Ron Davies (Labour), David TC Davies (Conservative)
(Coal.): Stephen Kinnock (Labour), Jacqueline Swinburne (Conservative), David Jones (UCP)
2011-2014: Alun Michael (Labour)
2011: Euan Wyn Jones (Plaid Cymru), Jacqueline Swinburne (Conservative), David Jones (UCP)
2014-2021: Stephen Doughty (Labour)
: Nerys Evans (Plaid Cymru), Paul Davies (Conservative), Mark Reckless (UCP)
2019 (Min.): Nerys Evans (Plaid Cymru), Nick Ramsay (Conservative), Mark Reckless (UCP)
2021-2023: Ken Skates (Labour)
2023-xxxx: Mabon ap Gwynfor (Plaid Cymru)

2023 (Coal.): Ken Skates (Labour), Nick Ramsey (Conservative), Gareth Bennett (UCP)

President of the United States
1969-1973:
Richard Nixon / Spiro Agnew* (Republican)
1968: Hubert H. Humphrey / Edmund Muskie (Democratic), George Wallace / Curtis LeMay (American Independent)
1972: George McGovern / Sargent Shriver replacing Tom Eagleton (Democratic)

1973-1974: Richard Nixon / vacant (Republican)
1974:
Richard Nixon* / Gerald Ford (Republican)
1974:
Gerald Ford / vacant (Republican)
1974-1977:
Gerald Ford / Nelson Rockefeller (Republican)
1977-1981:
Ted Kennedy / Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic)
1976: Ronald Reagan / Richard Schweiker (Republican), Jesse Helms / James L. Buckley (Independent)
1981-1989: Guy Vander Jagt / Paul Laxalt (Republican)
1980: Ted Kennedy / Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic)
1984: Lloyd Bentsen / Andrew Young (Democratic)

1989-1997: Andrew Young / Harris Wofford (Democratic)
1988: Paul Laxalt / Trent Lott (Republican)
1992: Barry Goldwater Jr. / Kit Bond (Republican), Ross Perot / John Silber (Independent)

1997-2005: Antonin Scalia / John McKernan (Republican)
1996: John Kerry / Jay Rockefeller (Democratic)
2000: Henry Cisneros / Evan Bayh (Democratic)

2005-2009: Ron Paul / Dana Rohrabacher (Republican)
2004: Howard Dean / Pat Quinn (Democratic), Olympia Snowe / Zell Miller (Independent), Ralph Nader / Matt Gonzalez (Green)
2009-2011: Elizabeth Anania* / Tom Daschle (Democratic)
2008: Ron Paul / Dana Rohrabacher (Republican)
2011: Tom Daschle / vacant (Democratic)
2011-2017:
Tom Daschle / Ben Ray Luján (Democratic)
2012: George Bush / Mitt Romney (Republican)
2017-2021: Ralph Reed / Adam Laxalt (Republican)
2016: John Edwards / Karen Bass (Democratic), Mike Bloomberg / Michael Steele (Problem Solvers)
2021-20XX: Ben Ray Luján / Jack Conway (Democratic)
2020: Ralph Reed / Adam Laxalt (Republican)
2024: Ben Ray Luján / Jack Conway vs Adam Laxalt / TBD (Republican)

Presidents of France
1974-1988: Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (Independent Republican/UDF)

1974: François Mitterand (PS)
1981: François Mitterand (PS)

1988-2002: Pierre Mauroy (PS)
1988: Raymond Barre (UDF)
1995: Jacques Chirac (RPR)

2002-2012: François Bayrou (UDF)
2002: Lionel Jospin (PS)
2007: Jean-Marie Le Pen (RN)

2012-2017: Manuel Valls (PS)
2012: Alain Juppé (UR)
2017-2022: Laurent Wauzquiez (UR)
2017: Manuel Valls (PS)
2022-xxxx: Fabien Roussel (PCF)
2022: Laurent Wauzquiez (UR)

Chancellors of (West) Germany
1974-1976: Helmut Schmidt (SPD)
1976-1984: Helmut Kohl (CDU/CSU)

1976 (Maj.): Helmut Schmidt (SPD), Hans-Dietrich Genscher (FDP)
1980 (Coal.): Hans Apel (SPD),
Hans-Dietrich Genscher (FDP)
1984-1994: Johannes Rau (SPD)

1984 (Coal.): Helmut Kohl (CDU/CSU), Hans-Dietrich Genscher (FDP), Petra Kelly (Green)
1988 (Coal.): Franz Josef Strauss (CDU/CSU), Gerhart Baum (FDP), Petra Kelly (Green)
1992 (Coal.): Norbert Blüm (CDU/CSU), Irmgard Schwaetzer (FDP)
, Petra Kelly (Green)

Chancellors of Germany
1994-1995: Johannes Rau (SPD)
1995-1999: Hans-Ulrich Klose (SPD)

1995 (Coal.): Norbert Blüm (CDU/CSU), Irmgard Schwaetzer (FDP), Joschka Fischer (Green)
1999-2013: Jürgen Rüttgers (CDU/CSU)
2003 (Coal.): Franz Müntefering (SPD), Günter Rexrodt (FDP), Joschka Fischer (Green)
2007 (Coal.): Franz Müntefering (SPD), Günter Rexrodt (FDP), Winifred Krestchmann (Green)
2011 (Coal.): Oskar Lafontaine (SPD), Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger (FDP), Winfried Kretschmann (Green), collective leadership (Pirate)

2013-2019: David McAllister (CDU/CSU)
2015 (Coal.): Sigmar Gabriel (SPD), Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger (FDP), Oskar Lafontaine (New Left), collective leadership (Pirate)
2019-2021: Heiko Maas (SPD)
2019 (Coal.): David McAllister (CDU/CSU), Fritz Kuhn | Claudia Roth (Green), Philipp Rösler (FDP), Sahra Wagenknecht (New Left), collective leadership (Pirate)
2021-2023: Jens Spahn (CDU/CSU)
2023-xxxx: Fritz Kuhn (Green)

2023 (Coal.): Heiko Maas (SPD), Jens Spahn (CDU/CSU), Volker Wissing (FDP), collective leadership (Pirate)

Prime Ministers of Spain
1977-1982: Adolfo Suárez (UCD)

1977: Felipe González (PSOE), Santiago Carrillo (PCE)
1982-1993: Felipe González (PSOE)
1982: Manuel Fraga (AD-PDP), Miquel Roca (CiU)
1986: Manuel Fraga (AD-PDP-PL), Adolfo Suárez (CDS), Miquel Roca (CiU)
1989: José María Aznar (PP), Miquel Roca (CiU), Julio Anguita (IU), Adolfo Suárez (CDS)

1993-2001: José María Aznar (PP)
1993: Felipe González (PSOE), Miquel Roca (CiU), Julio Anguita (IU)
1997: Javier Solana (PSOE), Julio Anguita (IU)

2001-2009: Rosa Díez (PSOE)
2001: José María Aznar (PP), Xavier Trias (CiU), Francisco Frutos (IU)
2005: Rodrigo Rato (PP), Josep Antoni Duran i Lleida (CiU), Josep-Lluís Carod-Rovira (ERC)

2009-2015: Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón (PP)
2009: José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero (PSOE), Josep Antoni Duran i Lleida (CiU), Cayo Lara (IU)
2013 (Min.): Carme Chacón (PSOE), Josep Antoni Duran i Lleida (CiU), Cayo Lara (IU)

2015-2016: Eduardo Madina (PSOE)
2015 (Min.): Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón (PP), Albert Rivera (C’s), Miguel Urbán (Vamos!), Marta Rovira i Vergés (ERC)
2016-xxxx: Iván Espinosa de los Monteros (PP)
2016: Eduardo Madina (PSOE), Albert Rivera (C’s), Miguel Urbán (Vamos!), Marta Rovira i Vergés (ERC)
2020 (Coal.): Albert Rivera (C’s), Diana Morant (PSOE), Mónica García (Vamos!), Marta Rovira i Vergés (ERC)

General Secretaries of the Soviet Union
1964-1983: Leonid Brezhnev† (Communist)
1983-1987: Andrei Kirilenko (Communist)
1987-1990: Anatoly Luykanov (Communist)
1990-1992: Boris Pugo† (Communist)
1992: Gennady Yanayev* (Communist)
1992-1993: Mikhail Gorbachev (Communist)

Presidents of the Union of Sovereign States
1993-2004: Mikhail Gorbachev (Independent)

1994: unopposed
1999: Anatoly Sobchak (People’s Party), Viktor Anpilov (Communist)

2004-2014: Oleg Deripaska (All-Russia)
2004: Grigory Yavlinsky (Democratic), Viktor Anpilov (Communist)
2009: Mikhail Kasyanov (Democratic), Sergey Baburin (Communist)

2014-2019 Grigory Pasko (Democratic)
2014: Oleg Deripaska (All-Russia), Badri Patarkatsishvili (Freedom & Democracy), Vladimir Ryzhkov (Independent), Sergey Baburin (Communist)
2019-2024: Ksenia Sobchak (Our Movement)
2019: Vladislav Surkov (All-Russia), Sergei Udaltsov (Communist)
2024-xxxx: Konstantin Chuychenko (All-Russia)
2024: Ksenia Sobchak (Peoples’ Movement), Valentin Konovalov (Communist)

Prime Ministers of Canada
1968-1979: Pierre Trudeau (Liberal)

1968: Robert Stanfield (Progressive Conservative), Tommy Douglas (NDP), Réal Caouette (Social Credit)
1972 (Min.): Robert Stanfield (Progressive Conservative), David Lewis (NDP), Réal Caouette (Social Credit)
1974: Robert Stanfield (Progressive Conservative), David Lewis defeated (NDP), Réal Caouette (Social Credit)

1979-1983: Brian Mulroney (Progressive Conservative)
1979: Pierre Trudeau (Liberal), Rosemary Brown (NDP)
1982 Québec City Accord: 54.5% Yes, 46.5% No

1983-1990: Lloyd Axworthy (Liberal)
1983 (Min.): Brian Mulroney (Progressive Conservative), Lorne Nystrom (NDP), Réal Caouette (Social Credit)
1985: Flora MacDonald (Progressive Conservative), Lorne Nystrom (NDP)

1990-1995: Michael Wilson (Progressive Conservative)
1990: Lloyd Axworthy (Liberal), Lorne Nystrom (NDP)
1994: Jean Chrétien (Liberal), Marion Dewar (NDP)

1995-1999: Lee Richardson (Progressive Conservative)
1996 (Min.): Jean Chrétien (Liberal), Marion Dewar (NDP)
1999-2012: Mike Harris (Progressive Conservative)
2000: Glen Clark (NDP), Art Eggleton (Liberal)
2004: Alexa McDonough (NDP), Art Eggleton (Liberal)
2008: Roy Romanow (Liberal Democratic), Martha Hall Findlay (Liberal), Svend Robinson (Alliance 2010)

2012-2013: Maxime Bernier (Progressive Conservative)
2013-2017: Bob Rae (Liberal Democratic)

2013: Maxime Bernier defeated (Progressive Conservative)
2017-2024: Nathan Cullen (Liberal Democratic)
2017: Belinda Stronach (Progressive Conservative)
2021: Patrick Brown (Progressive Conservative)

2024-xxxx: Rachel Notley (Liberal Democratic)

Prime Ministers of Australia
1972-1979: Gough Whitlam (Labor)

1972: William McMahon (Liberal/County Coalition)
1974: Billy Snedden (Liberal/County Coalition)
1977: John Howard (Liberal/National County Coalition)

1979-1980: Bill Hayden (Labor)
1980-1989 : Andrew Peacock (Liberal/National Coalition)
1980: Bill Hayden (Labor)
1983: Frank Crean (Labor)
1986: Bill Hayden (Labor)

1989-1991: Gareth Evans (Labor)
1989: Andrew Peacock (Liberal/National Coalition)
1991-1995: Nick Greiner (Liberal/National Coalition)
1991: Gareth Evans (Labor)
1994: Carmen Lawrence (Labor)

1995-1997: Alexander Downer (Liberal/National Coalition)
1997-2003: Michael Lee (Labor)
1997: Alexander Downer (Liberal/National Coalition)
2000: Bronwyn Bishop (Liberal/National Coalition)

2003-2009: Brendan Nelson (Liberal/National Coalition)
2003: Michael Lee (Labor)
2006: Simon Crean (Labor)

2009-2014: Lindsay Tanner (Labor)
2009: Brendan Nelson (Liberal/National Coalition)
2012: Mathias Cormann (Liberal/National Coalition)

2014-2015: Tanya Plibersek (Labor)
2015-2020: Simon Birmingham (Liberal/National Coalition)

2015: Tanya Plibersek (Labor)
2018: Chris Bowen (Labor)

2020-xxxx: Will Hodgman (Liberal/National Coalition)
2021: Penny Wong (Labor)

Last edited: