Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, Caucasus is a mess. Also, the line around the Mitteleuropa would look nicer if it was running along the inside, rather than outside, of the borders.

Is Austria and Bohemia being in Mitteleuropa your intentional changes? What about Bulgaria not controlling Constanta? Also, Belarus looks odd to me, but I can't quite place why.
I hackneyed the Caucasus from OTL Russia's internal borders, which seemed to be a more elegant solution than the total lumping together treatment that they usually receive, but they are more-or-less intended to be a mess. The "Mitteleuropa" line was more artistic license than anything else - I got tired of trying to reconcile that with the Austrian Fed's identification.
As to Austria and Bohemia, it was meant to show the pending tensions between Hungary and the rest of the Federation, IE Hungary is not actively trying to keep itself in the German sphere (which is meant as a future flashpoint in the mod itself). *Belarus is actually a strategic compromise state meant to tie down ethnically Ukrainian western Ruthenians in a separate, easier-to-marginalize state for Germany (the "Ruthenia" part of "Weissruthenia" is being taken quite literally).
I'd actually hoped you Lithuanians might appreciate the altered internal borders for Lithuania - Samogitia is recreated, and majority-Belarus areas are jerrymandered to ensure Lithuanian political dominance. Of course, Brest is still illogically a part of the country.

Slightly modified version of my "hint o' Co-Dominium" map from earlier.

Bruce

Codominium.png

I use paint, but other programs work. There are plenty of base maps on the NEW! OTL Map Thread and the Blank Map Thread. Be careful not to save as Jpeg, since that makes it hord to edit, and detracts from the visal quality.

Hope someone else can help you more.:)

Hi,
how can I create a own map?
Are there any originals to edit?
Where can I find them?
Thanks for help!

Welcome to the forum!

There's blank maps in the Our Timeline Map Thread, Blank Map Thread, UCS Base Maps thread, OTL Map thead (all stickies on the same sub-forum as this thread) and in the Blank Map Directory on the Wiki (there's a link on the main forum page).

MS Paint is good for editting UCS-style maps (but remember to save them as PNGs to post), or there's Paint.net and GIMP both free downloads that can do some fancier things!

Thande

Donor
Nice looking map, but perhaps you and Dathi should investigate the Miskito Coast - the British had a protectorate over the area from the 1650s until 1860 in OTL and I can't see them losing it in this TL.
Good point, but please don't quote maps in your post, it eats up Ian's bandwidth.

Standard non-revolutionary America.
Circa 1825.
I see you used my 1812 basemap, but I don't see why the Latin American revolutions would be at exactly the same stage they were at 1812 in OTL in a TL at 1825 with no American Revolution :p

I Knew there was something I forgot :eek:

Seriously though, I was thinking of any TL with no AR, hence "standard". From there it can go anywhere. There is a little known fact about the British Empire, that it started abolishing slavery about a decade before than the US (and that caused an uprising in Jamaica, which threatened London to join the US).
What interests me is, with Washington, Jefferson and Franklin as PM, would that still happen? would there be an american revolution in the South? What about Texas? (maybe I should post a tread).
Another POD that bugs me is, how would the New World have been affected if Isabella of Castiglia had married the king of Portugal rather than Ferdinand of Aragona, creating a big "Lusitanian Empire" in place of the spanish one? So I posted a map that can be edited both ways. Next Up, I'll try to figure out how a noAR would butterfly the spanish conquest, say maybe a pirate kingdom in Tortuga...

Very useful map though, thank you.

Hi,
how can I create a own map?
Are there any originals to edit?
Where can I find them?
Thanks for help!

Hello and welcome. We have basemaps ((the maps that you create your maps upon)) aplenty, just look in the base maps threads that are sticked all over this sub-forum.
As for editors, if your a first timer then go with MS Paint. While not the greatest editor it is VERY simple to use. If you think u can handle a challenge then go with Gimp or Paint.Net, both are very detailed picture editors, (Gimp MUCH moreso than Paint.Net). All of these are free to download, just google them. If you do not have a general color scheme and dont know how to make a key then please use the USC (Universal Standard Color) scheme. The USC is available in the USC map thread in this sub-forum.:rolleyes:

Have a nice day.:)

Thande

Donor
England having an empire with 2/3rds of its land in the hands of the celtic empire? Think about it...

That's not so unlikely. That rump England would still have around half the population and resources of OTL England, which is more than the historical populations of Portugal or the Netherlands, and the empires they carved out are about on the order of what England has got here.

Why?

Also, you're map of an independent Quebec in those years is kinda off. I have another version I'd be happy to lend you that would be far more accurate. :)

Why? Because its variation, it's different, and it's not the standerd collective Ameriwank that I know and love!

But I'll take you up on that offer. I need to start learning Canadian and British politics for the setting of my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.