And TLs which focus on mixing historical plausibility and "what you find interesting" are far more interesting to read than naked wish-fulfillment TLs.
I feel the same experience while working on my East Indies mod.

There's a lot of interesting stuffs in East Indies on that time period that i've discovered and often i worked it into the latest updates. Namely propaganda posters, previously unknown pictures of prominent officials, and important not war-related events.

I hope it makes my nation to be no less interesting than the major WW2 participants in the Pacific War, even when compared to Siam, Australia, and the Philippines.

@KaiserKatze How do you think pan-Europeanism and the feeling of European unity will evolve without the Nazis and the Second World War?
I think that it is currently developing as historically, but with Europe generally slanting more Conservative, and without the ideological threat or a continent-destroying war (let's be honest, Italy will never be a threat as big as the Nazis), I don't think it would develop as powerfully. Many powers will be more focused on developing their own blocs than working with others

Ramontxo

Donor
OK, heard for the Spanish War, but let us remember that originally, the leaders of the insurgents was José Sanjurjo and Emilio Mola. Two planes accidents or not this time? :evilsmile:

José Sanjurjo : https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-de-havilland-dh80-cascais-1-killed

Emilio Mola : https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-airspeed-as6-envoy-alcocero-de-mola-6-killed
They might have been accidents, and to be honest, at least, the Sanjurjo one was most probably so, but at the time very, very few people believe it...

@KaiserKatze How do you think pan-Europeanism and the feeling of European unity will evolve without the Nazis and the Second World War?
I think that it is currently developing as historically, but with Europe generally slanting more Conservative, and without the ideological threat or a continent-destroying war (let's be honest, Italy will never be a threat as big as the Nazis), I don't think it would develop as powerfully. Many powers will be more focused on developing their own blocs than working with others
Not just their own political blocs, but also economic blocs.

EU began as European Coal and Steel Community, aimed to bind the 6 founder nations together economically and to support each other while undergoing decolonization.

Not just their own political blocs, but also economic blocs.

EU began as European Coal and Steel Community, aimed to bind the 6 founder nations together economically and to support each other while undergoing decolonization.
Exactly, and Germany is already trying to revive the Mitteleuropa economic idea, an idea which by design freezes out other Great Powers so that the bloc only benefits Germany

@KaiserKatze IOTL, FDR only ran for a Third Term in 1940 because of Hitler, which he believed was a threat that only he was capable of resisting. Since Hitler is dead, FDR would probably follow the two term tradition set force by Washington. I say this because that leaves the opportunity open for individuals like Henry Wallace to get elected. As far as Americans go, Wallace was fairly social democratic and had a good opinion of the Soviets, which might lead to some interesting interactions whenever not-WW2 comes around.

@KaiserKatze IOTL, FDR only ran for a Third Term in 1940 because of Hitler, which he believed was a threat that only he was capable of resisting. Since Hitler is dead, FDR would probably follow the two term tradition set force by Washington. I say this because that leaves the opportunity open for individuals like Henry Wallace to get elected. As far as Americans go, Wallace was fairly social democratic and had a good opinion of the Soviets, which might lead to some interesting interactions whenever not-WW2 comes around.
And on that note, a progressive America vs conservative Europe dynamic would be quite interesting to have.

Hoyahoo9

Donor
a progressive America vs conservative Europe dynamic would be quite interesting to have.
I'm not that sure you could ever see a truly progressive-majority America. Coming out of the Great Depression, there was certainly a high tide of such sentiment in urban industrial areas with a significant population of first or second generation American immigrant families. This was also true among farm families displaced by the Dust Bowl conditions of the 30's. But the New Deal majorities in Congress were already eroding, and politics was becoming more closely divided by 1940, once recovery from the economic depression had begun. As this trend continued - without the external unifying influence WWII provided - the root-level conservative, traditionalistic, religious core that permeates much of mainstream American culture would make it difficult for true social democratic progressivism to thrive on a long-term basis.

I say this because that leaves the opportunity open for individuals like Henry Wallace to get elected.
I really wish people would cease to imagine that Wallace was any sort of presidential possibility in 1940.

At that time, he had never run for any elective office, and had no ambitions to do so. He had been a Republican until Roosevelt appointed him Secretary of Agriculture. When Roosevelt designated him to be the Vice Presidential nominee, the Democratic convention balked hard. He was nominated only after Roosevelt threatened to withdraw as candidate.

In a no-Hitler/no-WW-II TL, Roosevelt very probably announces his retirement in early 1940. This would open the field for figures such as Paul McNutt and Burton Wheeler to campaign openly. (I don't think either Garner or Farley had a real chance.)

Also, Wallace's "softness" toward the USSR was an artifact of the WW II alliance, reinforced by his 1944 tour of the USSR. In 1948, he had been "captured" by a cabal of crypto-Communist "advisors" and campaign staff. By 1950, he'd thrown off this influence, repudiated his previous views, and become a staunch anti-Communist.

Last edited:
The question to who would succeed FDR is fascinating cuz on the Democratic side there's hardly any ideal contenders. Wallace? Too controversial + never held elected office. Garner? Too conservative. Hull? Too old. Farley? Too early for a catholic. Hopkins? Pretty much on his deathbed. The only ones who could potentially get widespread appeal are McNutt and maybe even Alben Barkley, who while a Kentuckian is liberal enough for the electorate while not enough to scare party elites.

On the other hand, its not looking great for the Republicans either as Willkie might not even turn to the party had FDR not run for a third term, so their highest hopes are Dewey who's still only an district attorney and Taft who only just became a senator. I guess there's Vandenburg but I'm not knowledgeable enough about him to know if he has any shot.

Would be funny if Willkie ended up running as a Democrat and winning ITTL.

I always saw the British Hanover as a part of Germany accidentally stuck to Britain, district and not as a part of it. The more you know
Yes, but the Hannoverian dynasty ruled after the personal union was terminated upon the ascention of Victoria. Hannover then allied with Austria during the Brother's War and was annexed by Prussia. However, the Duchy of Brunswick was not and was one of the member states of the German Empire. The deposed Hanoverians went into exile in the UK and became basically British nobility because they were closely related to the monarchy after all. The ruling house of Brunswick then died out and the title went to the Hanoverians living in the UK. They were forbidden from ascending the throne however and a regency that lasted untill the end of the monarchy was established.

since we are planning to reorganise Deutschland I have come up with my own plan tell me what you think
Weimar_Republic_states_and_provinces.svg.png

I am not a German nor have I studied its geography much, so if I have made any nonsensical errors (ie I placed two different cultures in the same province and left half in another or I left a major city out of its correct area please let me know)
If you like the way it is cut up you could say a government administrator who had one too many lagers submitted this to the government